• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
New info on the digital content in the Limited Edition: http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/08/new-info-on-halo-4-limited-edition.html

*NEW* Exclusive digital content through Xbox LIVE:

• Spartan-IV “Recruit” In-Game Armour
  • Spartan-IV “Prime” In-Game Armour Skin
  • Assault Rifle “Prime” In-Game Weapon Skin
  • “Prime” In-Game Emblem
  • Xbox LIVE Avatar “Recruit” Armour
  • Cryo-Tube Xbox LIVE Avatar Prop

So I'm guessing recruit isn't the default armor since it's a downloadable. Weird since the name would suggest it is.

Enfinit

If Black Ops 2 and MW3 are 1 and 2 respectively in the XBL activity list come December...

Then...

Good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you-1.jpeg

senador

Banned
If Black Ops 2 and MW3 are 1 and 2 respectively in the XBL activity list come December...

This is what I expect, but I also don't think its a big deal.

My guess is something like this:

1. BLOPS2
2. Halo 4
3. MW3
4. Minecraft
5. BLOPS
6. FIFA
7. Reach
8. Battlefield 3

I'd bet that exclusivity time doesn't last long. Ellis said they'd be watching the level progression of the general population to determine when to release the rest.

Are people really expecting to hit level 50 in a day or something? Also non-LE people get two of the better specs I think, so that's 20 more levels for them to go before they have to worry about the other sets.

I don't necessarily like the practice, but I don't think it will be as big of deal as some might think.
It's the principal, and it won't be on day 1, but there will be people that reach the rank and them LE users will have a gameplay advantage. A gameplay advantage for paying more for the game isn't right in my opinion.
So good.
It would have been if they had been confident and bold enough to fully implement a proper Title Update across the entire game, instead of in certain playlists only - and they only did so because they were trying too hard to please everyone.

They should have taken ownership and implemented the TU across the board day one when the TU went live. No exceptions, no splitting the userbase between 20 more unneeded playlist options. All the mollycoddling they did only fuelled the self-entitled whining that followed from certain segments of the community and exposed promises that, in hindsight, 343 maybe should not have made.
Agreed completely.
Wall of truth

CLAP.GIF

Bsigg12

lol how are you not a 50 in TS? wait... I've played with you... never mind.

I think it's for comments like this why Bungie got rid of the 1-50 system and why 343i won't bring it back. Along with boosting/cheating however you see fit, trying to tout your digital penis makes you look like an idiot.

They're going to be. I'd be surprised if Halo 4 is in the top 3 to be honest.

FIFA 12 is the third most played Xbox live game. Not going to be surprised when major nelsons december list is blops2, mw3, fifa13, minecraft, halo 4.

And no specializations and spartan ops won't help the population.

I think it's for comments like this why Bungie got rid of the 1-50 system and why 343i won't bring it back. Along with boosting/cheating however you see fit, trying to tout your digital penis makes you look like an idiot.
Maybe you should take a step back and realize that the comment you quoted was part of an exchange by two friends.

I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about the Billboard xbl charts and who's on top.

senador

Banned

FIFA 12 is the third most played Xbox live game. Not going to be surprised when major nelsons december list is blops2, mw3, fifa13, minecraft, halo 4.

FIFA has been in 4th and 5th for some time now.

Beckx

I don't understand why anyone gives a shit about the Billboard xbl charts and who's on top.

This. Just being in that list means your playerbase is one of the largest on the service.

Fact: Xbox is a CoD or EA sports box for a huge number of users. That is not going to change, and it's meaningless.

You are are ignoring the basic fact that all equipment in Halo 3 had to be picked up from the map itself. If your team wanted bubble, you had to fight for it. If the other team had it, your team was careless or lost control of it.
I wasn't ignoring anything. As I said at the beginning of the post, I was playing devil's advocate. I wanted to see how people broke down the differences between equipment and AAs/Specializations in Reach and 4, which you, bobs, and Ghal did spectacularly. I was hoping people would clarify the differences and in doing so, help me nail them down.

I said a while back that one route 343 could have gone with AAs and a modern progression system would be to have them fought over on a map with a progression to unlock the ability to use them. Horrible that idea may be, fighting over AAs would be more in line to classic Halo.

Right now, my main annoyance is the blatant money grab aspect of the specializations (which is another post for me entirely) not even being unlockable via player action unless you pay 100$.
I want to clarify my feelings last night. I think it's pretty much set in stone that I won't be buying the LE because of the way the Specializations are being handled. I was always on the fence, and I always though the Steelbook would push me over, but not anymore. There are a lot of unknowns at this point. Frankie or David could clarify (guessimate is probably the best they can do) on how long it'll be until all specializations are unlocked past launch, or how long it takes an average person to get through the levels. I know David already said that last one is hard to pin down, but knowing more factors like that would allow me to reconsider my decision.

I hope the Bulletin offers some clarification on these things. I'd like to get the LE.

That being said, I disagree that this is a "blatant money grab." That implies 343 was designing specializations with the mind to lock it away to some players for a certain period of time past launch for an LE from the start. I don't think that's the case.
Jaime Griesemer's design blog, Tip of the Sphere, is excellent. One of my favorite posts of his was about ensuring elements that are fun in a game retain them, rather than getting tweaked to death.

I'm going to post some of those excerpts, and then contrast them with the Halo 4 perks.

A side note, I can't load the Halo Waypoint Halo 4 page on my work computer - it flashes up for a second, then disappears, leaving the page black. So I'm going off of descriptions posted in the thread.

Jaime in bullets, Halo 4 not.

• Creating a Counter – Another common way to address an overpowered element is to design a second element whose sole role is to counter the first. Not only is this second element probably not fun on its own merits, but everyone will be saddled with choosing an option that they secretly hope they don’t have to employ, just to prevent everyone else from choosing the fun option they desperately want. I will choose the unenjoyable anti-tank mine so that nobody else can have fun using a tank.

Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision
Wheelman: Lessend EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff

These perks have features that do nothing but counter other perks or features. In the case of the EMP, players can now spawn with Plasma Pistols. So, drivers had better pick the Wheelman, so as to counter it; likewise with Promethean Vision and the Stealth perk.

• The Old Switch and Bait - Many games, especially those looking for a sense of progression, will initially introduce the player to a hobbled version of an element, and then unlock the truly fun version as a reward. Of course, this ignores the fact that players usually won’t invest in a game that isn’t fun, and even if they do eventually earn the right to have fun, a vast majority of their experience will have been struggling through a crippled, unenjoyable game. If I kill 300 more rats with this blunted shovel maybe I’ll get to use a real sword!… in this game that is ostensibly about swords.
Having to progress to unlock the contents of the combat sandbox (guns, abilities) in a game that is about a rich combat sandbox. No longer letting us pick up grenades off fallen enemies unless we have that perk picked.

• Death of a Thousand Tweaks – Perhaps the most outwardly reasonable (and therefore the most nefarious) way of shorting fun is to make an endless series of minor changes, each one leaving the element a little less fun than it was. Slightly less accurate, a touch less damage, a little longer reload, a smidge more recoil, a fraction less range, etc. In this parody of the tuning process, the element gets gradually less fun until it is “unfun enough” to be included. The problem is that tuning is more delicate than balance, so the element will lose the qualities that made it fun long before it becomes fair. It will also leave players frustrated; if only this gun had been tuned better it would be really fun!

This describes the entire perk suite, but in particular, things like:

Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
Stability: Lessened knock out of scope
Sensor Upgrade: Increased Motion Tracker Range
Awareness: Use radar while scoped

Looking back, Jaime's article there is describing many of the design principles that made Halo fun for me. Beyond things like the two weapon limit, recharging health, etc. was a design philosphy that dictated decisions that kept the combat deep, fun and clear.

343 is of course wanting to make a fun game, but it's clear to me they are not adhering to the same design principles that Bungie was when they made the game. This is not evolving the game forward, it's removing some of the key, defining design elements from the series.

This is why I am so worried. More than any bullet list like this, fear Halo 4 has turned into a game that is fundamentally different from the series I've loved for over a decade.
I remember, when discussing something about Halo 4 a while back, trying to find Jaime's post about counters in games. There it is! I think this is an excellent analysis. I also believe that a lot of what he says makes sense especially in the context of Halo. You can see the parallels between the points he's making and the gameplay from Halo 1 - ODST.

However, there are so many unknowns and ifs when it comes to the gameplay additions and tweaks 343 is making, I've sworn off trying to speculate and comment on it all until I have it in my hands on November 6th. I think it's a bit more fair that way, and less of a headache for me figuring out how what's going to affect what else. Especially when you and Shake offer up analyses like this one.

The base player traits, the gun feedback, and a whole host of other small aspects could overcome any dislike I will have for AAs and/or Specializations. And I may grow to like both! I'm excited to play the game even if I'm very worried about it.

senador

Banned
Welp I didn't know that change occurred. However I do stand by my December top 5 prediction

Well to go back to that...

- When does Fifa 13 come out? That could change my predictions a lot.

- I actually think Spartan Ops and Specializations will help the population out a lot actually. Hardcore people may be against them, but I think the general population will eat them rigth up, especially if they are on the fence.

Game journalism was so good back then. Today the most sites are shit, not worth checking out. I miss the 1up Show.

I miss Luke Smith. :(

This. Just being in that list means your playerbase is one of the largest on the service.

Fact: Xbox is a CoD or EA sports box for a huge number of users. That is not going to change, and it's meaningless.

Maybe you should take a step back and realize that the comment you quoted was part of an exchange by two friends.

Would you folk say you're satisfied with Reach's population levels?

New info on the digital content in the Limited Edition: http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/08/new-info-on-halo-4-limited-edition.html

*NEW* Exclusive digital content through Xbox LIVE:

• Spartan-IV “Recruit” In-Game Armour
  • Spartan-IV “Prime” In-Game Armour Skin
  • Assault Rifle “Prime” In-Game Weapon Skin
  • “Prime” In-Game Emblem
  • Xbox LIVE Avatar “Recruit” Armour
  • Cryo-Tube Xbox LIVE Avatar Prop

Cool stuff, I wanna see what they look like.. Maybe since they seem to be doing an info dump today we will get pics in the Bulletin?

Well to go back to that...

- When does Fifa 13 come out? That could change my predictions a lot.

- I actually think Spartan Ops and Specializations will help the population out a lot actually. Hardcore people may be against them, but I think the general population will eat them rigth up, especially if they are on the fence.

I'm pretty sure FIFA comes out late September.

Actually, you may have a point on the Spartan Ops. Since more people play campaign than multiplayer, if all the campaign people keep coming back halo 4 may have a much better shot at getting higher on the most played list.

Beckx

Would you folk say you're satisfied with Reach's population levels?

Trick question. The population defaults over to Team Slayer instead of Super Slayer because of the names (IMO). I'd rather play with TU settings, but then matchmaking times aren't as good. So when I'm in groups we end up in Team Slayer. The population there is fine for me, I just wish the playlists weren't like that. A playlist issue, not a population issue.

I play multiplayer in games that aren't even in spitting distance of the Live list too (though those are all one on one or small group games, so not the same issues).

But look, I'm at the scrub level when I play solo and screwing up TS for everyone when I'm in groups - I'm not going to sit here and say anything about what the population means for the guys at the tip of the spear.

heckfu

Banned
FIFA comes out September 25 in America Y'ALL. And it looks glorious, got my second biggest hype train landing at Fifa 13 Station.

This is why I am so worried. More than any bullet list like this, fear Halo 4 has turned into a game that is fundamentally different from the series I've loved for over a decade.
Great post. I miss Jaime and everything he brought to Halo. And I share your worry, though at least the basic moving and aiming and firing seems improved from Reach, which will smooth over a lot of the potential frustration of perks and other unforeseeable elements colliding everywhere.

Vire

Reach had over 95000 on it yesterday. The population has actually increased over the last few months, I think.

I've been playing more myself as of late due to my anticipation of H4.

I'm sure many others are doing the same.

Also, where is da Bulletin! I've done the wash, took the cat out for a walk, and prepared dinner and it's still not here. :/

senador

Banned
Damn, FIFA 13 changes up my guesstimates then. I for sure think BO2 will be number 1 come December, but I don't think Halo 4 will have too much trouble beating out MW3 for 2nd.

Why does this matter anyway though? I think plenty people will be playing all the top 10 games so who cares?

Then what?

He needs to continue the trend of eating dicks and stabbing testicles. What'll it be kyle?

Shadders

>Remove 1-50 skill ranking because people buy and cheat their way to rank 50.
>Introduce new 1-50, except this time add loads of desirable content at the top ranks.

I fail to see how this will in any way reduce players' desire to buy or cheat their way to rank 50.

Vire

>Introduce new 1-50, except this time add loads of desirable content at the top ranks.

I fail to see how this will in any way reduce players' desire to buy or cheat their way to rank 50.

Because it's not a skill based level 50?

It's just how much time you've played. AKA Reach, just with more stuff to unlock.

Because you can just sink time into it and get there. There is no skill prerequisite (although obviously more skillful players will get to 50 faster).

...Its NOT A RANK its an EXP BAR.

How dont people get this?

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is what I expect, but I also don't think its a big deal.

My guess is something like this:

1. BLOPS2
2. Halo 4
3. MW3
4. Minecraft
5. BLOPS
6. FIFA
7. Reach
8. Battlefield 3
I'd say something similar to that:

1. Black Ops 2
2. Halo 4
3. FIFA 13
4. Modern Warfare 3
5. Minecraft
6. Battlefield 3
7. Black Ops
No idea for the last ones.

FIFA comes out September 25 in America Y'ALL. And it looks glorious, got my second biggest hype train landing at Fifa 13 Station.
I'm not a fan of soccer, but damn those games look awesome. I've played some of the older versions and loved them. Their animation is some of, if not the best in the industry.
I've been playing more myself as of late due to my anticipation of H4.

I'm sure many others are doing the same.

Also, where is da Bulletin! I've done the wash, took the cat out for a walk, and prepared dinner and it's still not here. :/
I've been pretty much ignoring Reach entirely for the last few weeks. Halo 3's where it's at.

Been saying this for a looonnnnggg time.

Now that you get things by reaching top rank people will be boosting/cheating more so than before. And these cheaters will not only be at high levels, but lower levels as well since you need to unlock guns and perks.

Then people will sell those accounts to those who are to lazy to do the work themselves.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I know how it works, but surely a level 50 account in Halo 4 is going to be easier to sell than a Halo 3 rank 50? There's a genuine reason to want to get to 50 now as opposed to just e-penis brag points.

1600ms points for a max rank H4 account with all specs unlocked. MSG meeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom