• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caja 117

Strategy and leadership were bs terms by competitive gaming to cover players on USA/SpikeTV or streams. The only true strategy I've seen a captain come up with was maybe Walshy doing the green room strat on Lockout with the ball.

I dont think that leadership is bs in a game that reqieres teamwork, a good leader is the glue that keep good team working as one.

Id be happy if there was no competitive scene. I played through the entire halo 2/3 online lifespan. Often times playing against Mlg associated people who were absolute elitist douchebags. They really are among the least desirable people to play with. Not saying all them are. I'm sure they're are some down to earth folks among them.

But the impression they've made on me has been very negative. Avoiding them would be better on halo 4.

There are lames everywhere, but with a non existent competitive scene I hope there's less of them in halo 4.

I cannot dispute it, it was just my impression, unless I provide a source its just my opinion

"After developing Halo 3 in 2007, Bungie split into teams to develop two different games—what would become Halo 3: ODST and Reach." - Wikipedia
:/

I understand ODST was finished first but I cannot conceive how there were 3 full years for Reach

I have nothing wrong with Halo Reach campaign, I just choose to view it in a different light, I think its a marvelous story

20ish people worked on ODST, and the third team at that point was probably just Jason Jones, Joe Staten, and a few other people.

I believe Luke Timmins said that he had significantly more engineers writing code for Reach than any previous game.

Reach lacked in many areas, but resources was not one of them. From a technical/production standpoint, I see it as the most polished Halo game (Keep in mind that isn't form a design/gameplay perspective).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Considering how small of a percentage MLG/"Pro" players are of the overall audience, I've never understood why they warrant as much attention. Giving them playlists in two Halo games when they represent maybe less than 1% of the playerbase.

Never understood it.

Considering how small of a percentage MLG/"Pro" players are of the overall audience, I've never understood why they warrant as much attention. Giving them playlists in two Halo games when they represent maybe less than 1% of the playerbase.

Never understood it.

Simplest answer is the 20.80 rule.

Id be happy if there was no competitive scene. I played through the entire halo 2/3 online lifespan. Often times playing against Mlg associated people who were absolute elitist douchebags. They really are among the least desirable people to play with. Not saying all them are. I'm sure they're are some down to earth folks among them.

But the impression they've made on me has been very negative. Avoiding them would be better on halo 4.

There are lames everywhere, but with a non existent competitive scene I hope there's less of them in halo 4.
There aren't shooters without competitive scenes. The point of the games is to compete against each other. It doesn't even make sense.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Never understood it.

Whatever nerd, we da best! You suck!! Lolllzzzzzzzzzz

MLG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noricart

There are a lot of try-hard, unsportsmanlike assholes that I've encountered and I'm pretty sure that what he's referring to by MLG. I remember playing games of ranked doubles, and win or lose, the other team would act like the most unrefined, malignant fucks around. I still want a competitive element, but keep all the try-hard, foulmouthed asshats out if it. Let MLG be there.
/rant.

789shadow

Banned
One of my roommates just moved into my apartment. Never met him before. Notices my Xbox, he asks "You play?", I respond with "Yea, I'm a huge Halo fan." He goes "Me too!" and asks for my gamertag. He responds "You're THE Enfinit?! I've heard you on some podcasts and read your blogs on some Halo forums" with a smile.

MY EGO +9000. TURNS OUT I'M NOT A LOSER.

mfw wat r teh chances of this happening
Dude, if someone ever says to me "You're THE 789shadow!", it'll be followed by laughter and jeers.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't see why MLG gets the attention it does, but I also don't see any harm in it either. As long as matchmaking exists whoever controls Halo multiplayer should cater to as many different tastes as possible. That's why I have never argued against Reach having so many playlists despite the population.

nillapuddin

20ish people worked on ODST, and the third team at that point was probably just Jason Jones, Joe Staten, and a few other people.

I believe Luke Timmins said that he had significantly more engineers writing code for Reach than any previous game.

Reach lacked in many areas, but resources was not one of them. From a technical/production standpoint, I see it as the most polished Halo game (Keep in mind that isn't form a design/gameplay perspective).

No doubt in my mind that it is the most technically polished game

Im not sure where our disagreement is here, I said that I didnt believe the campaign held the same scope of the numbered Halo games, but it in my opinion it wasnt supposed to so I dont mind.

I was telling my girlfriend for weeks about each mission, I loved it, it just simply wasnt on a galactic scale

I feel like ODST and Reach tell isolated stories on purpose and are great for what they are

edit: really only 20ish? that sounds crazy
(not saying your wrong, just saying if so, they pulled it off it was wonderfully)

There are a lot of try-hard, unsportsmanlike assholes that I've encountered and I'm pretty sure that what he's referring to by MLG.
that happens in literally every shooter though. I've found those same people from CS 1.6 to Quake 3 to TF2. If there is a game where it's possible to be better than someone else, there will be people talking shit to people they are better than.

I don't see why MLG gets the attention it does, but I also don't see any harm in it either. As long as matchmaking exists whoever controls Halo multiplayer should cater to as many different tastes as possible. That's why I have never argued against Reach having so many playlists despite the population.

I agree with this

So is the general consensus on Halo 4's multiplayer according to HaloGAF positive or negative?

Seems like Negative though I thoroughly excited. and so are most of my friends

So you are saying that 80% of the _____ come from 20% of the players (MLG)?

What's the _____?

It would be an analogy.

80% of the games come from 20% of the Halo population.

20% of the games come from the rest of the 80%.

This is why you would cater to a smaller population. Because net games would increase. AKA a more important value.

*This is not exact math this is a principle/rule. It does not apply directly nor do the numbers correlate in any way to the actual results of Reach's MM #'s. I'm just offering the explanation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think Enfinit's story is awesome. I'd be stoked if a fellow Halo nerd knew who I was, heh.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So is the general consensus on Halo 4's multiplayer according to HaloGAF positive or negative?
The general consensus is that this is a terrible post and that attempting to shove the individual into a box limits the group as a whole. By now I thought it would be recognized that Halo is a very polarizing game and that everyone has a different idea of "definitive" Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think (like anyone cares, haha):

-Campaign looks incredible.
-Spartan Ops looks interesting, but I'm not fully sold. Still, looks nice.
-Multiplayer...I just don't know. Pretty much everything I've seen worries me. The only thing keeping me hopeful is that the base game looks like the Halo I love.

zap

It would be an analogy.

This is why you would cater to a smaller population. Because net games would increase. AKA a more important value.

*This is not exact math this is a principle/rule. It does not apply directly nor do the numbers correlate in any way to the actual results of Reach's MM #'s. I'm just offering the explanation.

Unfortunately, 80% of the sales come from 80% of the players. (Slightly different if you are talking map packs though)

FyreWulff

Someone I didn't know recognized me at Halofest last year. That was a weird feeling.

Also, updated. I think I'm pretty close to being able to move on to Europe now.

7CaWR.png

senador

Banned
It would be an analogy.

Yeah, that definitely makes sense and I'd imagine its true for the most part. Though I'd say its the competitive crowd is that 20% and not MLG specifically. I consider myself to be part of the competitive crowd, but I haven't really cared about MLG til more recently and they are basically no more.

It'd be cool to find out that stat but how would you classify for the data mining? Competitive is more like an opinion or state of mind, which isn't tracked. Over a certain K/D or something?

I think (like anyone cares, haha):

-Campaign looks incredible.
-Spartan Ops looks interesting, but I'm not fully sold. Still, looks nice.
-Multiplayer...I just don't know. Pretty much everything I've seen worries me. The only thing keeping me hopeful is that the base game looks like the Halo I love.

-Campaign I agree with you looks amazing i cant wait.
-Spartan Op I think this is a great idea i think its has the possibility of lasting a really long time, keeping fans coming back over and over again. Season after season
-Multiplayer i I see a lot of the new addition as being As concept confusing and Unwanted. But I'm thinking once these concept are tested and played with will work really well. I'm excited to see how these will really work and feel once there in my hands

Unfortunately, 80% of the sales come from 80% of the players. (Slightly different if you are talking map packs though)

Yup. Agreed. This is why every game these days feeds the casuals and leaves the fans hungry. Liked gaming back when it was for fun and not a business model for a large corporation.

Jelyk you seriously ordered 6 of those? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom