• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
9Suip.jpg

From the RTX Wrapup Video. (Warning: Waypoint link.)

(Are those RGB arrows the magnet points or are they just used for the building the model?)

I'm really hoping that the amount of white space on these objects indicates better coloring options. The colors on Reach's forerunner objects are too minimal to really offset the gray.

FyreWulff

Starting to look like all of Forge World's Building pieces are probably coming back. They also said that the forge space was big enough for Lockout and The Pit.

So expect Lockout and The Pit

And yeah, that looks like the magnet points.

I'm really hoping that the amount of white space on these objects indicates better coloring options. The colors on Reach's forerunner objects are too minimal to really offset the gray.
The problem of the coloring is that they are even not that vibrant. It's pretty hard to detect them.

ZalinKrow

Definitely agree. I'd love to see structures get some overhauls with colour options. I'm sure some colours would definitely help out the forge art too :p But just in general, I think maps could look so much nicer and more distinguishable from each other with some colour improvements.

The problem of the coloring is that they are even not that vibrant. It's pretty hard to detect them.

I think it has something to do with the LOD/imposter systems needing to render all objects as low-res gray blocks at a distance. (I'm sure Fyre understands it better.) I just hope they've found a way around that.

FyreWulff

I think it has something to do with the LOD/imposter systems needing to render all objects as low-res gray blocks at a distance. (I'm sure Fyre understands it better.) I just hope they've found a way around that.

I think it was both a LOD consideration as you said, and there's also the problem that in Reach, the host can lose the colors of all colorable FW pieces and they'll revert back to the base color. Sandbox didn't have this problem because the Sandbox just had completely separate pieces for both Red and Blue.

Which would have kind of sucked to have a map depend on the color of the piece and then a host switch change and becomes unplayable mid-game.

It'd also be nice if more vehicles than the Mongoose supported being colored this time

9Suip.jpg

From the RTX Wrapup Video. (Warning: Waypoint link.)

(Are those RGB arrows the magnet points or are they just used for the building the model?)

If that is a PC Forge Client that would be really awesome. I can't see why the magnet points would need that many arrows. I'd say they are for modelling purposes.

Maybe Computron and other 3D artists could chime in. I've only worked with Blender for a few weeks.

Noricart

I hope the other colors will good, and hopefully green white and brown won't be the only viable colors.

Sai-kun

Banned
If that is a PC Forge Client that would be really awesome. I can't see why the magnet points would need that many arrows. I'd say they are for modelling purposes.

Maybe Computron and other 3D artists could chime in. I've only worked with Blender for a few weeks.

That's just the 3D modeling/animation program Maya.

FyreWulff

All the Halo tools for making the game have been PC. It's been mentioned before during the Halo 3 era that Bungie had a "Forge+" that only they could use to make variants (hence the ability to remove energy doors and the Elephants), and it's been mentioned otherwise by both 343 and Bungie that they have to send submitted maps through a special process/tool to be usable in Reach matchmaking.

The magnet points are probably an object the engine refers to while in Forge, so the arrows are for making sure the designer has orientated the magnet points in a consistent matter so the magnet system will snap together correctly. It looks like going into a doorway, the magnet is aligned with the Y pointing away from the attach point, X pointing to the right, and Z pointing upwards. That's too many compasses to be origin points for anything else.

That's just the 3D modeling/animation program Maya.

Well shit, I couldn't afford that so Blender was all I had :p A PC client would be sweet though. I dunno what magic you'd need in order to upload created maps from the computer to your fileshare or other service to be downloaded by the player but it would be sick.

FyreWulff

Well shit, I couldn't afford that so Blender was all I had :p A PC client would be sweet though. I dunno what magic you'd need in order to upload created maps from the computer to your fileshare or other service to be downloaded by the player but it would be sick.

They could do it with XNA. Harmonix does it with Rock Band Network on Xbox, you build your music tracks on the PC with special tools, then upload it to your Xbox to a special environment that the game lets you launch into to test it before sending it through Harmonix's validation process.

It'd require development of a special XNA environment and data uploader on the Xbox side, though. And you'd need to pay for an XNA membership.

At that point though you'd rather be making full on maps than Forge variants, so therein would begin the question of how you'd handle distribution of community created Xbox base maps. Due to the XNA system you couldn't give them away, you'd have to sell them for at least a dollar each.

edit: basically Harmonix does some pretty awesome stuff on console that gigantic AAA developers have yet to catch up to them on.

Starting to look like all of Forge World's Building pieces are probably coming back. They also said that the forge space was big enough for Lockout and The Pit.

So expect Lockout and The Pit

And yeah, that looks like the magnet points.

Thought that was obvious with the RTX Forge stuff. The Hemorrhage bunkers were shown, obviously, but the Horse/Challenge segment showed a bunch of other pieces that were carried over from Reach. For example: Pinnacle's dish, triple antenna, and sniper tower are all there.

Overdoziz

Banned

Ugh, that piece is so incredibly useless. Stop wasting space by adding really specific pieces that you can never use. Simple objects are so much more versatile than pieces like that.
Can't wait to get the Brace Large back with the unnecessarily annoying tail-end.

Noricart

Ugh, that piece is so incredibly useless. Stop wasting space by adding really specific pieces that you can never use. Simple objects are so much more versatile than pieces like that.
Well it is a piece derived from lockout/blackout, and already in reach, so expect to be used in lockout remakes!
Can't wait to get the Brace Large back with the unnecessarily annoying tail-end.
I agree that no one ever uses the little extra bit of the Brace Large.
It'd be easy, you just create the level in maya and then save it as a .map and put it on a flash drive and bam.
Gots da dot maps

I think it was both a LOD consideration as you said, and there's also the problem that in Reach, the host can lose the colors of all colorable FW pieces and they'll revert back to the base color. Sandbox didn't have this problem because the Sandbox just had completely separate pieces for both Red and Blue.

Which would have kind of sucked to have a map depend on the color of the piece and then a host switch change and becomes unplayable mid-game.

It'd also be nice if more vehicles than the Mongoose supported being colored this time

I think Shade Turrets can be colored too, pretty nice.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
343, these event recap videos are great and all but shouldn't there be a vidoc of some kind by now? And no, not a campaign one.
They know. If not from it being obvious, then from us complaining about it. Someday, perhaps.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There are loads of generic small pieces from little blocks to humongous floor tiles. These big set pieces are for amateur tinkerers and hobbyists. Serious mapmakers might be able to use them, but that's not really who they're aimed at. The game and it's components are built with multiple audiences in mind, and frankly this big piece didn't cost the more discrete items any flexibility.

There are loads of generic small pieces from little blocks to humongous floor tiles. These big set pieces are for amateur tinkerers and hobbyists. Serious mapmakers might be able to use them, but that's not really who they're aimed at. The game and it's components are built with multiple audiences in mind, and frankly this big piece didn't cost the more discrete items any flexibility.

So... new pieces confirmed?

FyreWulff

Also, in my opinion

You know people are going to remake certain maps, might as well give them some premades so they don't waste budget/performance reconstructing them out of 30 Block 1x1s

Noricart

Also, in my opinion

You know people are going to remake certain maps, might as well give them some premades so they don't waste budget/performance reconstructing them out of 30 Block 1x1s

Honestly I thought it was charming that Foundry and Sandbox variants were all made from tall 2x4 blocks (The color also helped)

I'm pretty sure they just remake maps from Halo's past, then throw all the pieces into the forge palette.

Blueblur1

Making blanket statements is easy

While that's true, I don't blame senador for making that statement. A lot of time and resources are put into Forge when it is still just an map editor. Forge maps will always pale in comparison to maps made by professional developers and developer tools. They're always going to have the same color palette, the same repetitious objects and the same feel. Yes, dynamic lighting will help but it doesn't change that fact that players will still be limited to the same map spaces. I much rather see that time and energy be devoted to making more developer-created content. I suppose that it isn't consuming 343's developer resources and time since it was farmed out to Certain Affinity then again I find it disconcerting that it was farmed out in the first place. Forge is definitely not a priority when it comes to Halo 4. The priority is clearly base gameplay mechanics and campaign.

While that's true, I don't blame senador for making that statement. A lot of time and resources are put into Forge when it is still just an map editor. Forge maps will always pale in comparison to maps made by professional developers and developer tools. They're always going to have the same color palette, the same repetitious objects and the same feel. Yes, dynamic lighting will help but it doesn't change that fact that players will still be limited to the same map spaces. I much rather see that time and energy be devoted to making more developer-created content. I suppose that it isn't consuming 343's developer resources and time since it was farmed out to Certain Affinity then again I find it disconcerting that it was farmed out in the first place. Forge is definitely not a priority when it comes to Halo 4. The priority is clearly base gameplay mechanics and campaign.

don't forget user-made content!

Overdoziz

Banned
At least let me place more than a 100 blocks then. Why is there a limit per category anyway? There's already a budget limit and objects are assigned a value based on how much they impact the maps performance, why limit it even more? If I want to place 10,000 budget worth of 2x2 blocks, why not? It can be incredibly frustrating when you still have a lot of budget left but you already used up the max amount of objects in certain categories and all you have left is a bunch of buildings ripped straight out of Lockout.

I honestly wish there wasn't a budget at all and we could just do whatever we want until the 360 shits on itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom