• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
The glowing orange skull is what I was saddened by, myself.

Looks like there will be color-coded classes for all the Promethean enemies, similar to Elites. I wonder if they have different behaviors.

I laughed.

Needler is still my favorite weapon, just not the Reach version. The original is still the best.

There is something so satisfying about a needler super combine kill. Even with the needle rifle. It seems like one of the more original weapons in the sandbox.

I laughed.

Needler is still my favorite weapon, just not the Reach version. The original is still the best.

Aaaawwwww Yeeeaaahhhhhh!!!

only good thing about dual weilding.
jWK59x3O5qkLx.jpg

needler as power weapon in halo 4? give it to me now!

No. Party viewing was removed because it was broken and unreliable over Xbox Live. In Halo 3, the only reliable way to watch films was to watch an entire game film from the start (and the reliability went up if you had all just played the game). I got clips to work a total of ONCE, because for clips to work it had to upload a gigantic binary blob to everyone in the session to sync the initial game state. Add to that the other issues (randomly getting dropped out, inability to fast forward unless you were in the same city as the other viewer, etc).

Luke Smith said himself that if they had known how poorly it would have worked, Halo 3 wouldn't have even had party viewing as an option.

Being able to rewind and clip Campaign/Firefight was a separate upgrade. It was cut in Halo 3 because they didn't have time to figure out loading multiple areas while watching a film (especially loading something you've deloaded due to rewinding), and since Firefight ran in what essentially was the Campaign engine, it also didn't have rewind/clip ability.
They only said that despite is not working like they'd want it to, it took an extraordinary amount of time and resources to make even that functionality work, and apparently Bungie's data showed next to no-one used it.
xbox 720**
Xbox Infinity (Let's be honest, that's the name)
That gun isn't as fun to use and get kills with, I think.

It's just the way I feel. You cannot convince me otherwise!
When I read the other night that the Grenade Launcher was OP, I'd thought I'd heard all there was to hear about Halo. Then I read this.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
No. Party viewing was removed because it was broken and unreliable over Xbox Live. In Halo 3, the only reliable way to watch films was to watch an entire game film from the start (and the reliability went up if you had all just played the game). I got clips to work a total of ONCE, because for clips to work it had to upload a gigantic binary blob to everyone in the session to sync the initial game state. Add to that the other issues (randomly getting dropped out, inability to fast forward unless you were in the same city as the other viewer, etc).

Luke Smith said himself that if they had known how poorly it would have worked, Halo 3 wouldn't have even had party viewing as an option.

Being able to rewind and clip Campaign/Firefight was a separate upgrade. It was cut in Halo 3 because they didn't have time to figure out loading multiple areas while watching a film (especially loading something you've deloaded due to rewinding), and since Firefight ran in what essentially was the Campaign engine, it also didn't have rewind/clip ability.

Clips didn't work well, full games worked fine.

And if clips is your imagined reason for them removing party theater, why didn't they just fix it or remove clip party viewing? No, instead they removed party viewing for the 6 kids who wanted campaign rewind and clips...

FyreWulff

Clips didn't work well, full games worked fine.

I said this in the opening sentences of my post

And if clips is your imagined reason for them removing party theater, why didn't they just fix it or remove clip party viewing? No, instead they removed party viewing for the 6 kids who wanted campaign rewind and clips...

Campaign rewinding and clips had nothing to do with networking difficulties. Look up how game films work. The state data for clips being big and prone to failure is a quote straight from Achronos.

The reason full game films worked reliably is that the film was able to start from a zero-state (everything is as it appears in Forge) and replay the various inputs to make the film proceed forward. Film clips basically required sending a shitton of memory values to 3 other players as a big package of data so their box could replicate the current game state as it existed at the beginning of the clip so that it could actually show the clip. They never quoted exact sizes but imagine uploading a 10MB game state to 3 other clients at 130kb/sec . Nope.jpg

It seems the easiest thing for them to do was simply limit the Theater lobby to 1 person within the UI framework they had.

I didn't imagine jack shit, I'm working off quotes from both Achronos and Luke Smith, who worked on or worked with the people directly that worked on Halo 3 and Reach. They didn't just fix it because they budgeted their time and money on more important features. For the record, here's Luke Smith's post about it on GAF. I can't find the Achronos one because it was either on a Bungie.net group (unsearchable) or Optimatch (unreachable)

inb4 why isn't there multiplayer in H2 Anniversary question.

Who actually thinks that they'd make a Halo 2 multiplayer component?

They didn't do it for CEA, they won't do it for a possible H2A.

Although I hope they've learned from the CEA multiplayer that you really need to integrate it into the main game. At the least, let people with the Anniversary to search for games in the main lists.
No, there is no way they do multiplayer if they do a H2A. I don't think they will or should do one though.

Fuchsdh

Who actually thinks that they'd make a Halo 2 multiplayer component?

They didn't do it for CEA, they won't do it for a possible H2A.

Although I hope they've learned from the CEA multiplayer that you really need to integrate it into the main game. At the least, let people with the Anniversary to search for games in the main lists.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I said this in the opening sentences of my post

Campaign rewinding and clips had nothing to do with networking difficulties. Look up how game films work. The state data for clips being big and prone to failure is a quote straight from Achronos.

The reason full game films worked reliably is that the film was able to start from a zero-state (everything is as it appears in Forge) and replay the various inputs to make the film proceed forward. Film clips basically required sending a shitton of memory values to 3 other players as a big package of data so their box could replicate the current game state as it existed at the beginning of the clip so that it could actually show the clip. They never quoted exact sizes but imagine uploading a 10MB game state to 3 other clients at 130kb/sec . Nope.jpg

It seems the easiest thing for them to do was simply limit the Theater lobby to 1 person within the UI framework they had.

I didn't imagine jack shit, I'm working off quotes from both Achronos and Luke Smith, who worked on or worked with the people directly that worked on Halo 3 and Reach. They didn't just fix it because they budgeted their time and money on more important features. For the record, here's Luke Smith's post about it on GAF. I can't find the Achronos one because it was either on a Bungie.net group (unsearchable) or Optimatch (unreachable)

Your imagining is the part that you think party theater was removed because of clips.

It was removed because when they added rewind to campaign and firefight it didn't work.

So, if they couldn't fix clips, why didn't they just prevent clips in party instead of removing the whole damn thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom