• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, man. Last night: heavy rain and thunderstorm.
Today? Sunny, hot and humid. 27 degree C, feels like i'm in Mediterranean climate.
I do enjoy this in some way though.

Too bad i'm not outdoors person, i'll end up staying inside and playing video games.

The SDCC Wrap-up video on Waypoint was really cool. No new stuff but just a nice little retrospective on the event and community. That and I am always in awe of how much weight lybertyboy has lost.

I remember buying some magazine for the Halo 3 piece it had years ago. Shit got me so hyped.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Oh, man. Last night: heavy rain and thunderstorm.
Today? Sunny, hot and humid. 27 degree C, feels like i'm in Mediterranean climate.
I do enjoy this in some way though.

Too bad i'm not outdoors person, i'll end up staying inside and playing video games.

I wish we could get some of that rain here in St. Louis. I feel like I'm back in Iraq this summer.

feel

What happened with Juices?

edit- nevermind, just saw the explanation for the title in the OP

hey, grats on finally getting the hoddie hypa

A question, would it be weird if I bumped (with actual H3 screen shots I've been meaning to share) the Halo 3 screenshot OT2 thread?

It might've been appropriate if we were still in the Reach OTs, but this is "Halo |OT|," which means any and all Halo topics are allowed! If you post it in the screenshot thread, you'll probably get three or four posts before it dies off again unless there are about a dozen GAFers eagerly looking for an excuse to post some Halo 3 screenshots.

Anyone who would probably post screenshots would be us anyway.

It might've been appropriate if we were still in the Reach OTs, but this is "Halo |OT|," which means any and all Halo topics are allowed! If you post it in the screenshot thread, you'll probably get three or four posts before it dies off again unless there are about a dozen GAFers eagerly looking for an excuse to post some Halo 3 screenshots.

Anyone who would probably post screenshots would be us anyway.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.

I was looking through the screenshot history, I've surprisingly saved very little. So many awesome memories.

Your screenshots, show me them.

They are nothing special, certainly not epic campaign ones, rather (as I've said) what they represent. I'll post a few for you though. Share some of yours. : )

iYLXs2pffPGvk.jpg

A rather eventful swords match.

ibhuCGOYmtn7E1.jpg

The threat of violence was too much for this elite.

ihR6TWbfykMy7.jpg

Standoff was aesthetically gorgeous.

ibaQ1Wnaqgb94l.jpg

Beautiful lighting. Yes, I realise it's not H3. :p

Edit: Fixed.

Fuchsdh

They are nothing special, certainly not epic campaign ones, rather (as I've said) what they represent. I'll post a couple for you though. Share some of yours. : )

Hah, the wider Halo world will have a chance to see some of them for FUD, but they're nothing special :p

Doesn't matter if they're super cool, they're still fun. :) It's a shame the novelty of screens has gone away, because they're still such a stupendously cool feature and the one thing I wish they'd added to CEA (yeah, over a dedicated multi mode, for reals.)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks.

I was looking through the screenshot history, I've surprisingly saved very little. So many awesome memories.

They are nothing special, certainly not epic campaign ones, rather (as I've said) what they represent. I'll post a couple for you though. Share some of yours. : )

If you show me yours I'll show you mine :p

I think this is the best place for them, no one will see them in the other thread lol.

monome

nothing to do with current discussions but the listing for Silentium on Amazon just gave me a boner. Even readers of the two previous books should beware, there is a big twist reveal in the few lines below ;-) :

In the last years of the Forerunner empire, chaos rules. The Flood—a horrifying shape-changing parasite—has arrived in force, aided by unexpected allies. Internal strife within the ecumene has desperately weakened Forerunner defenses.

Too little, too late, the legal rate of Juridicals is only now investigating possible crimes by the Master Builder and others. Evidence-gathering agents known collectively as Catalog have been dispatched to collect testimony from the Librarian and both Didacts: the Ur-Didact, treacherously abandoned in a Flood-infested system, and the Bornstellar Didact, who accompanies the Librarian as she preserves specimens against the dire possibility of Halo extermination.

Facing the imminent collapse of their civilization, the Librarian and the Ur-Didact reveal what they know about the relationship between the long-vanished Precursors and the Flood.

The Precursors created many technological species, including humanity and the Forerunners. But the roots of the Flood may be found in an act of enormous barbarity, carried out beyond our galaxy ten million years before...

Because of that barbarism, a greater evil looms. Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian--husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict--hold the keys to a solution.

Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.

IHaveIce

Banned
nothing to do with current discussions but the listing for Silentium on Amazon just gave me a boner. Even readers of the two previous books should beware, there is a big twist reveal in the few lines below ;-) :

In the last years of the Forerunner empire, chaos rules. The Flood—a horrifying shape-changing parasite—has arrived in force, aided by unexpected allies. Internal strife within the ecumene has desperately weakened Forerunner defenses.

Too little, too late, the legal rate of Juridicals is only now investigating possible crimes by the Master Builder and others. Evidence-gathering agents known collectively as Catalog have been dispatched to collect testimony from the Librarian and both Didacts: the Ur-Didact, treacherously abandoned in a Flood-infested system, and the Bornstellar Didact, who accompanies the Librarian as she preserves specimens against the dire possibility of Halo extermination.

Facing the imminent collapse of their civilization, the Librarian and the Ur-Didact reveal what they know about the relationship between the long-vanished Precursors and the Flood.

The Precursors created many technological species, including humanity and the Forerunners. But the roots of the Flood may be found in an act of enormous barbarity, carried out beyond our galaxy ten million years before...

Because of that barbarism, a greater evil looms. Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian--husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict--hold the keys to a solution.

Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.
Oh god Hype.
the Ur-Didact abandoned in a flood infested system heh? Nice!

Omni

I always thought that I knew the Halo back story pretty well, but there are parts of the Forerunner saga that just confuse the fuck out of me (I'm probably the only one that didn't understand it all, heh). I should probably re-read the books before the third is released.

m23

Hype. I mean seriously, why was Greg Bear not at the Fiction panel?

Hype. I mean seriously, why was Greg Bear not at the Fiction panel?
He writes a book which contains Halo 4 spoilers. If he lets his mind speaks only one time, some significant details could leak. On the other hand the comic-con panel's main topic was Forward Unto Dawn web live-action series. Hopefully if there is a Halo: Universe panel at PAX Prime, he will be a panelist.

Akai__

Ellis, let's get a good weekly going this week. How about.... $100k for a toughie.

Weekly's should be at 50k by now. Bungie said they changed the rank system, because 30% of all players didn't reach the 50 in Halo 3.
Now I would like to know how many reached Inheritor. I would say not more then 30%.

Woorloog

Banned
More Than a Handful - Get 5,000 Kills in Multiplayer Matchmaking
7,500cR

Why is 10 kills worth 3000 (or something like that) but 5k kills is worthy only 7500?

Reach Challenge system is absolutely failure. Boring challenges repeated too often, no variety in them and rewards being ridiculously small (especially compared how so many players need hundreds of thousands of credits to rank up, not mere thousands).

Really hope Halo 4 will have a better system or no challenges at all. Do it well or don't do it.

Portugeezer

Why is 10 kills worth 3000 (or something like that) but 5k kills is worthy only 7500?

Reach Challenge system is absolutely failure. Boring challenges repeated too often, no variety in them and rewards being ridiculously small (especially compared how so many players need hundreds of thousands of credits to rank up, not mere thousands).

Really hope Halo 4 will have a better system or no challenges at all. Do it well or don't do it.

Everytime I look at the challenges I'm like "meh" and don't even bother.

You know that this challenge does not exist and FyreWulff joked about the challenge system with his post?

Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting.

I'm betting the ''greater evil'' is the ancient evil in Halo 4.

Omni

Kinda off topic, but this is where I think Bungie made a mistake with the credit system. In BF3 for example, there are a hundred and fifty ranks which require <230,000exp to get through. While there are more ranks, it seems more rewarding then an eternal grind to some random rank which takes several million credits.

I got to Mythic and I gave up. Completely pointless to be playing for an hour and see the bar only move several pixels.

FyreWulff

More ranks would have been pretty cool. I'd imagine Halo 4 would probably have more.

Until a gigantic weekly comes along though, I'm still fine with my tally:

MN2Ty.png

So is this Ur-Didact the original predecessor to the current Bornstellar Didact or (Mentally/Spiritually) the same
? This needs to be clarified abit but Halo 4 might be the only source before Silentiums release to further explain.

Woorloog

Banned
You know that this challenge does not exist and FyreWulff joked about the challenge system with his post?

No, didn't know. But that doesn't change anything. 13k for a LASO is a joke. 130k would be something.. (but i still wouldn't bother doing LASO run, at least not on Reach).

So is this Ur-Didact the original predecessor to the current Bornstellar Didact or (Mentally/Spiritually) the same
? This needs to be clarified abit but Halo 4 might be the only source before Silentiums release to further explain.
Do you really have problems? [Cryptum/Primordium-Spoiler:]
The Ur-Didact is the Didact which Bonestellar awakened out of his Cryptum. The original Didact. Ur is the German prefix for the former. Ur-Didact=Great-Didact if you translate it 1 to 1. Bonestellar-Didact is the Didact, we follow at the end of Cryptum and Primordium.

Oh yeah. Can you finally learn how to use the spoiler-tag correctly?

Do you really have problems? [Cryptum/Primordium-Spoiler:]
The Ur-Didact is the Didact which Bonestellar awakened out of his Cryptum. The original Didact. Ur is the German prefix for the former. Ur-Didact=Great-Didact if you translate it 1 to 1. Bonestellar-Didact is the Didact, we follow at the end of Cryptum and Primordium.

Oh yeah. Can you finally learn how to use the spoiler-tag correctly?
I know how. And someone else didn't spoil tagged in the previous thread with no complaints.
Tag added. Also thank you for clarifying, Hyper.

neoism

100% agree.I stopped looking at them 6 months ago. They where fun for the first few months....

Enfinit

They're a fun system for earning extra credits, but some of them don't make any sense. There was a challenge a few weeks ago that required players to link up with Bnet, which is impossible. 343i fixed it within a few hours, but still.

It seems to me that there's a preset list of a few hundred challenges, along with a set list of cR quantities, and at the beginning of each day an automated system picks the challenges and assigns them cR quantities, although they don't always get it spot on. I doubt there's one person at 343i who's job it is to pick challenges each day.

daedalius

holyshitawesome

Well, this certainly gives some clues to the supposed familiarity Cortana and MC have with the big floaty ball in the E3 trailer...

Fuchsdh

Uncapped double cR weekends.

If you build it they will come.

Yeah. I'd boost the dailies by at least 20-30%, weeklies by 30% or more, and just have double credit payouts for completing games in weekend hoppers.

I really hope that this fall 343i puts a bit of effort into pushing people to get back into playing Reach before Halo 4. A really substantial set of matchmaking changes, increasing payouts, and bundling DLC (I know, if wishes were horses) would be great.

Goes into Super Slayer:
  • Game 1: Uncaged
  • Game 2: Uncaged
  • Game 3: Pinnacle

Why?

Speaking of terrors, Frank there is something you can do for the better of Halo for the world. Go in nice and early tomorrow, go to the main build for Halo 4, and change melee to 3 melee's to kill, and make it impossible to change back. Pull a Jason Jones, it's for the best, it's for Halo.

Speaking of terrors, Frank there is something you can do for the better of Halo for the world. Go in nice and early tomorrow, go to the main build for Halo 4, and change melee to 3 melee's to kill, and make it impossible to change back. Pull a Jason Jones, it's for the better of Halo.
Brought you by Steelyuhas, self elected king.

Now go make that on screen text optional Frank. I promise 2x the sales. Brought to you by Zeouterlimits, the real king.

Okay, maybe 0.75x, but that's worth it. So says the King.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I played a handful of Rumble Pit games last night.

The spawning is just atrocious, ugh. At least every other spawn, I spawned with either someone behind me, or someone with their back to me. So bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom