• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I'll lose faith once I see a Halo 4 trailer like this.

:lol if I could download the soundtrack samples I would so make something like this for Halo 4 using Revival.

Halo 2's making confronts the viewer with the difficulty of developing a video game. Bungie were honest, admitted that they had nothing etc. That's the reason why I love it. It is still special.

Additionally, the sheer amount of cut content meant they could actually talk about what they wanted to do, not simply what they did. Reach had a few cool snippets like piloting a Scarab in New Alexandria but nowhere near the amount that Halo 2 did. Forerunner Tank, the final mission being Chief and Arby meeting up on Earth to stop the Ark, Flood Juggernauts, the Doberman Gator. So beautiful.

Halo 2's making confronts the viewer with the difficulty of developing a video game. Bungie were honest, admitted that they had nothing etc. That's the reason why I love it. It is still special.

I don't think I've ever bought an LE for any game before. I have one for Dark Souls, but that was solely an upgrade for preorders.

A friend got the LE of Halo 2 and Reach, so I got to check out the behind the scenes stuff and Halsey journal. They were cool but I don't really need to spend more than what I already am on a game day one.

Weird. that's THEIR music, G4's - we never gave them that. I never noticed this before. Not from our OST.

Speaking of G4 - Now that Adam Sessler is a free agent, you guys should pick him up at 343! He loves Halo and the man is seriously a genius.. Not sure what his job would be, but his presence would bring magic.

A man can dream.

Revival. Goosebumps.

Seems like those chants might be the new "monks" chant to represent the new trilogy.

Ever since Adam Sessler's embarrassing commentary at EVO, I can't take him seriously. "A FLURRY for Ricky!"

Damn really? I have to look into that because I can't see it being that bad to discredit him completely.. Him and Geoff Keighley are my two industry favorites.

Speaking of G4 - Now that Adam Sessler is a free agent, you guys should pick him up at 343! He loves Halo and the man is seriously a genius.. Not sure what his job would be, but his presence would bring magic.

A man can dream.
I'd spend credits to use his voice for my spartan ;P

Speaking of which, do spartans in Halo 4 War Games/Spartan Ops speak? I've grown attached to my Buck quips in ODST and Reach.

Edit: Man, I love the shit out of that Haven remix, especially at 1.05. Is that darker turn to the music Halo 4's theme? Hope so.

Ever since Adam Sessler's embarrassing commentary at EVO, I can't take him seriously. "A FLURRY for Ricky!"

I can't take anyone on G4 seriously. Honestly, I'm shocked that channel still exists. I guess people REALLY like watching Cops.

I can't take anyone on G4 seriously. Honestly, I'm shocked that channel still exists. I guess people REALLY like watching Cops.
it only exists because the tools on attack of the show need jobs

TheOddOne

I would love to see Adam rant about playlist management and implementation of multiplayer maps. Ohh... wait, let's talk about teh Spartan Ops.

it only exists because the tools on attack of the show need jobs

If Olivia Munn even there anymore? I think she realized she was better then nerd bait and put her breasts to better use on other TV shows

olivia-munn-late-show-cookie-munch.jpg

The only merger worse than G4/TechTV was AOL/Time Warner.

the first like 2 years of G4techtv was okay. Xplay was good and they still had the screensavers. and Kevin was on Arena, in a job he could not fuck up/

If Olivia Munn even there anymore? I think she realized she was better then nerd bait and put her breasts to better use on other TV shows
supposedly she left after a short relationship with kevin. but she works for stephen colbert now so her breats are in a better place.

Meh, he probably wasn't too happy being put in that situation either. I can't fault him for doin' the job even if he's not very familiar with fighting games. It was pretty funny at the end of the day, "It might be all tied up!"

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't think I've ever bought an LE for any game before. I have one for Dark Souls, but that was solely an upgrade for preorders.

A friend got the LE of Halo 2 and Reach, so I got to check out the behind the scenes stuff and Halsey journal. They were cool but I don't really need to spend more than what I already am on a game day one.

Perfectly fair approach to your consumer antics, but you should at least weigh the overall value proposition of the map packs (as well as the stuff you're less interested in) when you think about it.

I use to mock Olivia for anything she did outside of G4. Then I saw her in Newsroom. She carries that show like a boss.

This is like me with Channing Tatum this year. I used to think he was the biggest, most worthless douchebag in hollywood...then 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike come out and he's actually a funny, charming, totally competent actor. Imagine that.

Perfectly fair approach to your consumer antics, but you should at least weigh the overall value proposition of the map packs (as well as the stuff you're less interested in) when you think about it.

Hell yes. The more people that buy the LE, the better our chances to find games on those maps when they release later on! Of course, the season pass also helps ;] but it's definitely easier for consumers to get it all in one shot.

Ah thanks for clearing that up.

I'm sure some will remember this epic song from IGN's ODST Firefight preview - It's called Heroes March.

Hell yes. The more people that buy the LE, the better our chances to find games on those maps when they release later on! Of course, the season pass also helps ;] but it's definitely easier for consumers to get it all in one shot.

There is that, but there's also that they probably should've released more maps at the beginning. Not to complain, I'm going LE anyways. Thus the power of supply and demand I suppose...

BigShow36

I'd be way more pissed if I bought the LE and the maps/game turned out to be crap than I would be if I didn't buy the LE and the game/maps actually turn out to be awesome.

FyreWulff

I've seen the numbers from a game that presold DLC like the CoD pass, Gears Pass, Halo 4 Mattrick Pass, etc that I was contracted for. The practice is annoying, but it makes loads of money.

1) Even though you're selling it as a discount, you sell DLC to more people. The vast majority of a game's sales occur in the first weeks. So you're selling all your DLC when the most eyeballs are on it.

2) These people purchase the LE or Pass then, while they're actively playing the game.

3) Congratulations, you've just sold DLC that doesn't exist yet to a notable amount of people that will never play it because they've traded in the game or stopped playing by the time the last pack has come out.

4) ???

5) Halo 4: Mythic.

The value's definitely good, the inclusion of future DLC maps is one of the better things that can be added to an LE. Though speaking only for myself, I'm still cautious about the approach to multiplayer and would prefer to see it in full and completely soak it all in before deciding if I even want to get as far as getting DLC maps. Maybe even wait until a bit after they're introduced to see how good the impressions are of them being seen in matchmaking.

But if that unicorn emblem was an LE bonus instead of a console bonus I'd pick that shit uuuuuuup.

A lot of the armour in Halo 4 looks silly but having Hayabusa never return again is for the best.

So, this isn't anything new, but I was looking at this picture of the Halo 4 Jackal:

2u5qA.jpg

And then I was sad. What happened to the ultra creepy, big eyed bird lizard aliens? Blah. They look way too much like the new Grunts, they almost feel as if they would come from the same planet or something.. Thats too bad, the Covenant felt more artistically varied in the past. Ah well.. At the very least they could have made it more colorful to spice up its new look, maybe like this:

I know Skirmishers will not be returning (too bad though, cause I liked em) but I would be interested to see 343s take on them now visually seeing how different Jackals look. Maybe eventually we will get new art for the species/weapons/vehicles that are not returning.

So I've ordered this nerf gun: http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Longstrike_CS-6

I'm going to mod it in to the Halo 4 DMR. Seems a good match in terms of scale and form. I've never done anything like this before so it will probably be a disaster

hYSY7.gif

Hah, thats pretty damn close, keep us updated with pics once you start.

xlarge.jpg

Well, I least we will have papers in the LE

I'm still pretty sad that there isn't a Legendary Edition for Halo 4, but at this rate with all the preorder bonuses, map pack helmets, console armor, etc, its probably for the better not to have more.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Do you honestly think 343 haven't copied significant swathes of COD's multiplayer features? Not mocking, genuinely interested on your take on things such as personal ordnance drops, instant respawns, universal sprint, perks etc

Does anybody think these things would be in Halo if COD had never taken off?

I will be representing Team Reasonable while Domino, Biggy, and Heckfu SLRP
each other.

I will be representing Team Raisin-able, and will be encouraging the consumption of cheap alcohol and dried grapes until everyone is on Team SLRP. I'm not sure if that's a red team or a blue team, but either way we'll all have the same service tag.

So, this isn't anything new, but I was looking at this picture of the Halo 4 Jackal:

2u5qA.jpg

And then I was sad. What happened to the ultra creepy, big eyed bird lizard aliens? Blah. They look way too much like the new Grunts, they almost feel as if they would come from the same planet or something.. Thats too bad, the Covenant felt more artistically varied in the past. Ah well.. At the very least they could have made it more colorful to spice up its new look

I haven't seen that before. I thought the Jackals had been more or less left intact...
It sickens me how generic and canon-breaking 343's artists have made the various Covenant species.

Do you honestly think 343 haven't copied significant swathes of COD's multiplayer features? Not mocking, genuinely interested on your take on things such as personal ordnance drops, instant respawns, universal sprint, perks etc

Do you think Matchmaking would've ever existed, along with Theater on consoles, had it not been for Halo?

idk.. that's something we'd never be able to know.

I think RPG elements would have occurred without COD eventually, yes. Customization is the evolution of the shooter, nay, every genre.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think the problem with that picture of the jackel is the angle the head/neck are at. To me it looks a lot like the old skirmisher, just a bit more detailed.

I haven't seen another image of the jackel though, and it looked "fine" in the footage we saw, but it was far as hell away.

Gazzawa

Do you mean like the post COD4 era like shall we say this generation?
I'm sure some other game would have implemented instant respawn and infinite sprint if not cod. Anyone who wanted to make a fast, pick up and play accessible shooter with customization would have looked at these and made the changes.

Nothing wrong with borrowing from the most popular shooter out there, especially if its a somewhat decent game.

I think the problem with that picture of the jackel is the angle the head/neck are at. To me it looks a lot like the old skirmisher, just a bit more detailed.

I haven't seen another image of the jackel though, and it looked "fine" in the footage we saw, but it was far as hell away.
It looks like a skinny 343 Grunt with a dog's muzzle...

-BARF-

Its pretty damn obvious imho. Even down to the name 'Spartan Ops'. +10 points popping up, score streaks, loadouts, unlockable weapons/abilities in multiplayer progression, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

But watching a Halo 4 match looks fun as hell, so I'm in and hope for the best.

Its pretty damn obvious imho. Even down to the name 'Spartan Ops'. +10 points popping up, score streaks, loadouts, unlockable weapons/abilities in multiplayer progression, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

But watching a Halo 4 match looks fun as hell, so I'm in and hope for the best.

Those things you mentioned I definitely agree with, but stuff like instant respawn (was in every Halo game under the settings and essentially worked the same) and Sprint (fans have been asking for Sprint in Halo ever since Halo 2 came out, not cuz of CoD) I disagree with.

One thing though is that I like how the Ordnance Drops work. They're much cooler than how CoD handles kill streaks and care packages :b

I think RPG elements would have occurred without COD eventually, yes. Customization is the evolution of the shooter, nay, every genre.

Yes, but the casual is the devolution of customization, or something.

Think Mass Effect 2 after ME1. You end up with linear customization that doesnt lead to any fun gameplay.

Those things you mentioned I definitely agree with, but stuff like instant respawn (was in every Halo game under the settings and essentially worked the same) and Sprint (fans have been asking for Sprint in Halo ever since Halo 2 came out, not cuz of CoD) I disagree with.

One thing though is that I like how the Ordnance Drops work. They're much cooler than how CoD handles kill streaks and care packages :b
Hell, I forgot about instant spawn and join in progress.

But I agree with you for the most part. I was catching a friend up on all the multiplayer news over the past few months, and of course as I brought up each change he gave me a smirk and said "Just like fucking COD". Yep. But as we went through each change I also realized that some of them fixed Halo problems - For instance I've always wanted join-in-progress because of wildly imbalanced matches from people ditching, custom loadouts should mean the end of AR/BR/DMR start outrage, and baseline sprint is a godsend.

Tactical options can fuck right off though.

Top Bottom