• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Squad Slayer

1003p45-salty-pretzel-m.jpg

Nice, meaty update. As I said before, very much looking forward to the Carbine and the Needler. I'm more excited to try out the Carbine than I was leading up to Halo 3 or ODST. Hopefully I'll love it as much as ODST's Carbine.

Oh sorry, maybe I wasn't clear with my post, but actually re-reading yours I realized you said Speed Boost and didn't actually mean Thruster lol..

Either way, I meant why worry about the Sword + Speed Boost when that same concern can be had with other weapons and powerups?
My concern is if Sword + Speed Boost combo will be OP since immunity to Slow down being fired upon is applied. Any other power weapon + speed boost takes abit more concentration to acquire a kill and are limited with recoil, bloom, RoF, Reloading, or Cool Down.

m23

Although I'm not that excited for the LE as much as I hoped, I'll still get it. Forza 4 for me was a great LE, great artbook with great digital stuff and some other extras, and it was only like $10 more.

Carbine looks awesome, can't wait to try it out.

God I just really want this game to come out already so everybody can stop bitching

Please

On Nov. 6th, the complaining can only increase. You have to remember that there's only a small sub-section of us mothafuckas in here. Just wait until Daxheleon opens the OT on Gaming-Side to people who don't regularly visit this topic.

The flood gates will be open

So nobody that played the game at PAX complained about the sword, but now that we have some clarification in plain text everyone loses their mind. Ugh.

TCKaos

I'm still concerned with how DLC and Specializations are going to be handled post-launch. Those are the two main factors holding me back from picking up the LE. I really don't want another Reach situation where I waste $20 on maps I never play, or a situation where I don't get to use some of the LE specializations before they're unlocked for the public.

Sword is a power weapon. It was virtually impossible to get a kill with it with the slow down mechanic in place.

Also, keep in mind that swords don't just spawn in every 90 seconds or so in Halo 4. They're sort of rare and the player that manages to get one should be able to use it.
How on earth did anyone manage to get a sword kill in Halo 3? I assume the slow down doesn't effect non-sprinting (walking) opponents.

My concern is if Sword + Speed Boost combo will be OP since immunity to Slow down being fired upon is applied. Any other power weapon + speed boost takes abit more concentration to acquire a kill and are limited with recoil, bloom, RoF, Reloading, or Cool Down.

Speed Boost + Jetpack + Rockets? Damage Boost + Rockets? Damage Boost + anything really.. Overshield + anything..

Powerups are supposed to make you a unstoppable machine if you earn one. Balancing weapons around Powerups would never be a good idea. That's more the idea I was trying to get across.

I assume the slow down doesn't effect non-sprinting (walking) opponents.

You would be right.

So nobody that played the game at PAX complained about the sword, but now that we have some clarification in plain text everyone loses their mind. Ugh.

Excuse me, sir, but are you trying to say that people who have played the game are in a better position to judge the changes than people who haven't?

Because that would be a ridiculous notion!

Too bad they didn't try to bring back the Spiker and make it a competent gun this time around.. Ah well, Ill live without it. Still, I feel like we got zero new Covenant guns.. The Storm Rifle just reads to be a Plasma Repeater under a new name.

Anyways, in case people missed it before, here is the gaming side thread.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
God I just really want this game to come out already so everybody can stop bitching
You could leave the thread for 47 days.
You could stop meta bitching.
You could ignore "everybody".
Tf3AO.gif

Does that seem odd? A few hours of play between some people in PAX doesn't seem indicative of how it will feel months down the line in matchmaking.

Yeah that'll stop it. Honestly though just take your own advice if you can't handle the opinions of some around here.

I think the sword isn't too much of an issue. It is a power weapon after all. What I need to get to grips with is how prevalent these power weapons will be in Halo 4 with Personal Ordnance and what not.

malfcn

I'm still concerned with how DLC and Specializations are going to be handled post-launch. Those are the two main factors holding me back from picking up the LE. I really don't want another Reach situation where I waste $20 on maps I never play, or a situation where I don't get to use some of the LE specializations before they're unlocked for the public.

This. Reach DLC was relevant for a week or month. Then, boom it was gone. At least from my experience.

Blueblur1

Too bad they didn't try to bring back the Spiker and make it a competent gun this time around.. Ah well, Ill live without it. Still, I feel like we got zero new Covenant guns.. The Storm Rifle just reads to be a Plasma Repeater under a new name.

Anyways, in case people missed it before, here is the gaming side thread.

Yeah, for all the talk of making the Covenant weapons appealing they really didn't bother adding any bad ass looking new ones. We got the Beam Rifle back though. That's a plus in my book.

Yea Barrow you must be a master at H4 with the three games you played of it.

Besides did sword even work the same or different and was it even that available in that build? It was mostly Exile that huge open map right? I can't see Sword being very useful on that, I'm talking the Countdown type maps that are ruined by Sword, Shotgun, Dino Blaster, and every other quick close kill bs thing. Its not going to be one thing that fucks Halo 4 up its always a plethora of things.

People said the core gameplay was there in Reach for a long time if you look back. Problem is you play the game the way it is, the way its packaged and given to you. So you have to play with all the skin and the skeleton. You don't just play the basic game. Every little thing we hear changed might not be so bad in itself but we have so many changes, this game is going to be different...

I dunno. I worry too much. Proceed SlRP guys.

feel

They were at an event playing a new Halo game for the first time ever on a LAN versus other people doing the same after standing in a queue for maybe hours, not the same as playing the game for hours from home against the anonymous kids of the world.

They were at an event playing a new Halo game for the first time ever on a LAN versus other people doing the same after standing in a queue for maybe hours, not the same as playing the game for hours from home against the anonymous kids of the world.

And who has done the latter?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else's direct download of the Covenant trailer stutter like a mother fucker? I refuse to watch it on Youtube. Ugh!

edit: Nevermind, it was just the GOM player

edit2: Video delivers in the first 10 seconds. Instasplosion makes a return. FUCK YES

edit3: Good video. Definitely not as hyped at the first one but that's expected because Human weapons are just inherently cooler than plasma weapons. Song was totally not very dubsteppy at all. Some of you are ridiculous. Sword animation is cool. Is that activated with the melee button or the shoot button?

Vire

Anyone else's direct download of the Covenant trailer stutter like a mother fucker? I refuse to watch it on Youtube. Ugh!

Just fine over here. Using VLC on OSX Mountain Lion.

Maybe it got corrupted? :/

I agree though, YouTube really doesn't do the visuals justice.

DeadNames

Banned
Might I say the needler looks absolutely lovely.

Can't wait to get my hands on that. :)

TOO MUCH POSITIVITY!

:p

The more I think about it, the less not slowing down when shot with the sword bothers me. It SHOULD be OP... it's a power weapon right? And I'm pretty sure the lunge is significantly smaller, so we'll have to be super close to the guy to kill him with the sword.

Guys like Domino, Mastrbiggy, and Wu have all played the game at multiple events and all have positive impressions. If there were glaring issues I'm sure they would have noticed at least some of them by now.

Honestly though, I don't think it matters if MLG pros had the game for an entire year before everyone else and still had positive things to say after that much time, because half of the people here would still complain because it's not Halo 2 HD.

Fuchsdh

I fucking hate when information gets released. Everyone acts like complete dicks to each other in their own virtual dick-measuring contest. We bitch and bitch about no information and when we get it we THEN complain there is no plasma rifle. Really, though? We get to pick our loadouts and we finally get the BR back but the PLASMA RIFLE is the new thing to bitch about?

I realize how hypocritical this post is, bitching about bitching, etc, but seriously guys.

Not everyone has the wisdom. Or the beard.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You know how you fix this sword issue?

Make every kill an assassination type animation.

Problem solved.

joke

Guys like Domino, Mastrbiggy, and Wu have all played the game at multiple events and all have positive impressions. If there were glaring issues I'm sure they would have noticed at least some of them by now.

Honestly though, I don't think it matters if MLG pros had the game for an entire year before everyone else and still had positive things to say after that much time, because half of the people here would still complain because it's not Halo 2 HD.

Their opinions/observations UNDOUBTEDLY matter, however, playing at an event like this, with an unfinished build with "blinders" on MUST be taken into account.

The "issues" don't come about on day 1, or even week 1.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I think I agree with letters though. It's just going to take more time to find out what you can exploit in the game. I feel like this game is going to be very deep and we'll see different strategies rise and fall as time moves on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
TOO MUCH POSITIVITY!

:p

The more I think about it, the less not slowing down when shot with the sword bothers me. It SHOULD be OP... it's a power weapon right? And I'm pretty sure the lunge is significantly smaller, so we'll have to be super close to the guy to kill him with the sword.

How often are you killed by a sword charge where you have enough time to notice he's being slightly slowed down by your rifle fire? As you said, iits basically a rocket launcher, and in some ways is less powerful than shotgun or scattershot because there is zero ranged effect.

GhaleonEB

Oh lord.

Speedboost, sprint, thruster AA, plasma sword.

Come at be bros.

In my first game on the Forerunnery map - Uplift? - I snagged the sword and racked up four quick kills with sprint/thruster pack combo. I figured part of it was the lack of experience of other players with the map, but lack of slowdown when taking fire was probably a big part of it.

I am worried about the energy sword, given that everyone has sprint. I take solace in how well the slow down effect worked against sprinters with other weapons, though. Nary a double beat down in sight.

Vire

In my first game on the Forerunnery map - Uplift? - I snagged the sword and racked up four quick kills with sprint/thruster pack combo. I figured part of it was the lack of experience of other players with the map, but lack of slowdown when taking fire was probably a big part of it.

I am worried about the energy sword, given that everyone has sprint. I take solace in how well the slow down effect worked against sprinters with other weapons, though. Nary a double beat down in sight.

I think you mean Haven, all the same though.

As long as the sword isn't Halo 2 levels of silly, I'll be fine with it.

Top Bottom