• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

L0GIKILL

Neo Member
I always liked Standoff.

Maybe a Seatler needs to go into the restaurant and check out the seating chart / floor plan. I bet that will give us the answers.

senador

Banned
Did they say there were "no map hazards" or are you referring to that interview where Kevin (or someone) said the vehicles (or something) were the hazards? I don't think he'd come out and tell you that there's a train that will kill you in one of the maps thus ruining the surprise.

Of course, if they said no map hazards whatsoever, then sure.. no Terminal unless they just excluded it. I just didn't think they had said that.

I don't remember exactly, just remember hearing something about no hazards. Could be something else though.

I'd take Burial Mounds I think. Definitely prefer it to Sandtrap.

Click this link then look around inside the store for clues. I don't think it goes that deep though. I think the clue is lighter and with less depth.

On top of this, the restaurant is on Ballard Ave. John Ballard works for MS. John is the chief's name. Chief is Easter egg.

Burial Mounds confirmed.

87499800-thumb-up-.gif

Ramirez

To be fair, caring about the Halo fiction is pretty weird.

Not really.

I am just over 20 hours, but I'm on Apocalyptic difficulty so its taking me longer, I've left it on a few times without playing.
/

Apocalytpic, huh? No way man...those Champion Constructs make me want to punch kittens on normal difficulty...

I just met the rock ancient, I assume I'm not even 25% through?

Description says FUD Sneak Preview within video
I can't watch due to my phone. Can someone confirm it? Thanks.

w00t. You can see me standing in the back with DustStorm and another great community member at several points in the video. I didn't really spend a lot of time away from that booth during show hours that weekend, even though I never really got in line to play there until like, 15 minutes before the show ended on Sunday. LOVED picking the brains of 343 people about all kinds of stuff (no, not Halo 4, I'll know all about that on November 6th).

CTF was fun, btw. I really look forward to seeing Team Schooly D rock the new CTF mode come launch day.

Burial Mounds was always a fun map, and I wouldn't mind having it back at all.. However, I can think of quite a few other maps I would expect first. My money is still on Valhalla, followed by Waterworks and Relic. I really don't think I want Relic though, unless it saw some changes. I would prefer Waterworks over Valhalla, but I don't think its happening.

343i does the CGI cutscenes in-house. (I think)

I could have sworn around e3 that they said the CG was being done elsewhere, though Im not sure where. I may be wrong on that though.

No news yet (obviously) just some journalist tweeting pics from the studios.

1653177afc2f11e1818e22000a1cdd19_7.jpg

Why isn't there an armor variant based on this armor? Seriously, Spartan armor based on Spartan armor seems like a no brainer.

IHaveIce

Banned
Not really.

Apocalytpic, huh? No way man...those Champion Constructs make me want to punch kittens on normal difficulty...

lol no, not even 25% through.

What build did you choose? It's all about the dodging, but the Constructs can be a bitch.

Ramirez

What build did you choose? It's all about the dodging, but the Constructs can be a bitch.

I've been upgrading the teleport, and spinning slash. Is the Necro tree good? I find in most games that summoned monsters blow.

Havok

Not really.

You're just getting started. Get something with +Health on hit or +Heath on crit, then feed it to whatever your next possessed primary is, then stack crit chance and damage. The game becomes stupidly easy all the way to the end. I hardly used any of the abilities, just demolished everything with combos.

On the topic at hand: Burial Mounds with DMRs. As if the offense spawn wasn't enough of a disaster last time.

IHaveIce

Banned
I've been upgrading the teleport, and spinning slash. Is the Necro tree good? I find in most games that summoned monsters blow.

The teleport slash is really really good, I have the same opinion about summoning, only the crows later are usefull with the lifesteal upgrade.

Just look for the Life steal upgrades and Equip with Health on Crit or something like this, the game will be a piece of cake then.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just got the death grip in DS2 and a giant thing ran away after the foundry. Am I close to the end of world one?

Anyways, my bet is on Burial Mounds now for the remake.

DarkSiders talk?! Apocalyptic is nuts at times, but very manageable if you chain together all his abilities/attacks with mad evasive skills. Key thing is dodging attacks, then use some bare attacks or the Magnum to build meter to pull off special abilities, not to mention saving his Reaper form for the truly tough bastards..

I only have the Ghouls to summon as a distraction for crowds, otherwise the Necro tree I don't think is very useful as a whole.. Haven't tried the Crows yet, but the only other thing I think is worth it on that side are the Necro buffs to resistance and stuff because later it becomes helpful.

senador

Banned
Not really.

Almost a quarter of the way yeah. I did the first on Apocalyptic as well so I just started that way.

Burial Mounds was always a fun map, and I wouldn't mind having it back at all.. However, I can think of quite a few other maps I would expect first. My money is still on Valhalla, followed by Waterworks and Relic. I really don't think I want Relic though, unless it saw some changes. I would prefer Waterworks over Valhalla, but I don't think its happening.

I still think/hope its Valhalla too.

DAYUM! Technology is scary sometimes.

Yeah, I was blown away when I found that.

I have the ghouls. They suck at first but upgraded they do quite a bit and help distract the enemies. One of the upgrades has them blow up when they die and it does quite a bit of damage.

On the topic at hand: Burial Mounds with DMRs. As if the offense spawn wasn't enough of a disaster last time.

Didn't think of that. That map is super open, it'd have DMR problems more than others.

I just got the death grip in DS2 and a giant thing ran away after the foundry. Am I close to the end of world one?

Anyways, my bet is on Burial Mounds now for the remake.

Yeah, you are about done with the first area then.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member

This is why it has to be either Waterworks, or Longshore. Large Map, sight lines allow for DMR play/JetPack play without breaking the map entirely and I just really really like Waterworks.... but if I can't kill people with falling Stalactites there will be hell to pay!

To be fair, caring about the Halo fiction is pretty weird.

If that's true, then I am the weirdest person I know. HOORAY FOR WEIRDOS!!! WHOO-HOO!!! #represent

Halo's fiction is more important to the future of Halo than Halo's existing gameplay mechanics. This is my belief. I think that this will become more apparent as technology enables us to move away from game-y forms of interactive narrative and towards what lies in the future. Some version of the Oculus Rift, premium force feedback peripherals, and premium quality surround sound headphones are going to make possible things we only dare dream about today.

I love Halo's gameplay. I love its mechanics. Don't get me wrong there. I adore them.

But what has been achieved with the Halo universe is the overlapping of so many fascinating genres where thinkers and dreamers can wonder out loud about the big questions and the fun questions, all at the same time. They can co-author with you, much like a DM co-authors with his players, a story that really sticks with you and has far more application to non-fiction than most people realize. Bungie did a really good job of ensuring the plausibility of their sci-fi, and so did Eric Nylund, who taught science at a high school once if I'm not mistaken.

Was tempted to make this post long, but I really should be going now. Hope this gets your gears turning! I think the future is quite bright for Halo fiction enthusiasts!

While we're on the topic of Halo 2 maps - I was incredibly disappointed to see that after putting Halo 2 in my 360, the game no longer recognizes any of the map packs that are on my hard drive. Kinda sucks that unless I scrounge up an old xbox somewhere with the map packs installed I won't ever be able to play those maps again.

Any body know a way to fix this?
I still have the old Halo 2 map packs on disc. Pretty cheap used, it looks like.

Ramirez

I just don't see how enjoying the Halo fiction is anymore weird than watching kids stream Halo. I would actually consider the latter more weird, but whatever.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just don't see how enjoying the Halo fiction is anymore weird than watching kids stream Halo. I would actually consider the latter more weird, but whatever.

I enjoy the fiction and have watched peoples stream Halo, sometimes I catch myself I watching a stream and then realize I could just go play it.

Homeboyd

How long before someone starts calling that restaurant asking the staff if a bald man in a Halo shirt left and "clues" around? There's going to be a nerdvasion fall upon that restaurant the likes of which they've never seen.

Everyone debating what the remake map is seems to be ignoring the comment that it will cause the least amount of drama or whatever. I would be suprised if it were anything thing from halo 3.

i really hope its not freaking burial mounds. if i had to pick my least favorite halo 2 map it'd have to be burial mounds, or colossus. i mean it's not bad, but there's way more halo 2 maps that need to be remade first.

still better than every default reach map.

Everyone debating what the remake map is seems to be ignoring the comment that it will cause the least amount of drama or whatever. I would be suprised if it were anything thing from halo 3.

which is why i think it's containment. i mean, i dont believe that anyone can hate containment. i'd say its a pretty neutral map.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
i really hope its not freaking burial mounds. if i had to pick my least favorite halo 2 map it'd have to be burial mounds, or colossus. i mean it's not bad, but there's way more halo 2 maps that need to be remade first.

still better than every default reach map.

I loved both Burial Mounds and Colossus. :(

I miss the gravity lift wars.

That almost implies that it can't possibly be Waterworks, cause they basically said there will be no waterworks (crying). Or is it a paradox....there will be no waterworks(crying) if it does happen to be Waterworks? Dammit, I told myself I wouldn't get caught in this remake hoopla.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely hated Burial Mounds in Halo 2, but that was mostly due to SMG starts and me being a scrublord. I think I'd like it now. I'd rather see Waterworks, though. I really want a BTB revival with Halo 4.

He said it doesn't have anything to do with Mexico though, and is that easily reverse engineered? That also doesn't give Seattle residents an advantage in figuring it out.

Stinkles said Mexico had nothing to do with the hint. But I'd welcome a Waterworks remake, someday. I miss that map.

Then that's like... The exact opposite of a clue.

"La carta" can mean letter... so the letter of Oaxaca could be the letter "O," but I can't recall any maps beginning with it.

La Carta de Oaxaca is a Mexican restaurant in Seattle that Frank likes. This fits in with his note that Seattle folks will have an advantage.

http://www.lacartadeoaxaca.com/index.html

Maybe they are holding a Halo event there, where Seattle folks will play the map first?

Wait.

"La Carta de Oaxaca is a Mexican restaurant in Seattle that Frank likes. This fits in with his note that Seattle folks will have an advantage."

Halo 4 comes out 5 days after La Dia De Los Muertos, which is celebrated at this restaurant.
Burial Mounds was a map in Halo 2 and coincides with Dia De Los Muertos.
The remake is Burial Mounds.

Also Burial Mounds would fit great with AA's as-is. Also would provide some solid classic gameplay with no tweaking.

halo-2-burial-mounds.jpg

suddenly....Bad Spanish and Mexico stuff

PNut

Banned
Off topic but did I hear someone say the other day that the new dashboard coming this fall will not work on first model 360's or did I make that up?

CyReN

Such a cool controller, but I don't use wireless controllers.

Hoping to get my hands on a FUS1ON A controller to try out.

I think Jazzy said awhile back that he modded his controller to wired with a different faceplate. I'm still a wireless guy so I don't mind.

Top Bottom