• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Woorloog

Banned
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Containment

I honestly don't remember the map that well and it's probable that the map isn't anything like Timberlands but that's what it says

Fucking Halo Nation...
Let's see what Halopedia says

http://www.halopedia.org/Containment

Oh... Lacks citation as well though. At least it is better written.
This map was designed by Steve Cotton, who took Halo PC’s multiplayer map Timberland, then went through changes until the environment had underwent a significant change.

EDIT the end result certainly doesn't have anything to do with Timberland.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Containment

I honestly don't remember the map that well and it's probable that the map isn't anything like Timberlands but that's what it says

Nothing like timberland really, but doesn't help that we didn't get to play timberlands within Halo 2's sandbox.

I used to love sneaking through the trench in the middle, picking up over shield (I think) sneaking into the base.

The bases could be easily defendable, yet, the attackers had a variety of ways to transport the flag out via side exits, a direct route from the transport available, specifically up the banshee ramp, the teleporter, which you had to enable.

Also, because of the slight bend in the map design, the engagement were always fantastic, you never knew what was ever round the corner, power weapon placements were quite good.

It also featured Chris Carney's face.

lDiUu.jpg
https://twitter.com/EgoHotCoffee/status/245593294904627201

Press is playing Halo 4's campaign.

senador

Banned
They did it with Timberlands. I wouldn't throw any PC maps out of the equation.

I am. Stinkles said it would cause the least amount of issue or whatever, and I think a PC map would cause an issue.

Timberland was in a group of several maps, nearly all take form Halo CE. It was a nice shoutout to players of Halo PC. With only 1 remake and Halo 4 kind of being a "return" of sorts for Halo players, do you really think it could be a PC map? I do not.

that skull and the difficulty shield look kinda bad. also, Spartan Hub? =\

Spartan Points
Spartan Ranks
Spartan Ops
Spartan Hub

you don't need to put Spartan in front of everything.

in fact wouldn't this be way easier?

Credits
Ranks
Ops
Hub

Woorloog

Banned
They did it with Timberlands. I wouldn't throw any PC maps out of the equation.

Indeed. Though i don't think they're going to play particularly well with AAs.
The PC maps were large, meant for BTB. Infinity might work though it is very large map, far too large as it is. Also Death Island too though it needs to be shrunken a bit as well.
Timberland too was too large, it was shrunken for Reach and that made it better, IMO.

Also, Frankie noted you can play the remake map with classic settings for nostalgia, that hints more towards Halo 2 or 3 remake because... well, just my guess but BR.

Why would PC maps cause an issue?
Arguably they'd be less of an issue because not that many have actually ever played them, so it wouldn't even be a remake, in a way...

you don't need to put Spartan in front of everything.
Spartan Halo 4. Wonder why it isn't so.

Enfinit

I am. Stinkles said it would cause the least amount of issue or whatever, and I think a PC map would cause an issue.

Indeed. Though i don't think they're going to play particularly well with AAs.
The PC maps were large, meant for BTB. Infinity might work though it is very large map, far too large as it is. Also Death Island too though it needs to be shrunken a bit as well.
Timberland too was too large, it was shrunken for Reach and that made it better, IMO.

Also, Frankie noted you can play the remake map with classic settings for nostalgia, that hints more towards Halo 2 or 3 remake because... well, just my guess but BR.

Exactly. I'm certainly not saying it'll be a PC map, and as a matter of fact I think they're the least likely candidates, however I wouldn't immediately throw them out. Death Island and Infinity could work just as well as Waterworks or Turf, it all depends on what 343i decides to do with them. They're remakes, not remasters.

senador

Banned

Because most players have not played those and a map from a PC game is not one of the mainstream maps. The vast majority of players played the console games. It'd cause an issue for loads of people I think.

Enfinit

Because most players have not played those and a map from a PC game is not one of the mainstream maps. The vast majority of players played the console games. It'd cause an issue for loads of people I think.

So, because they're not as popular, it'll cause an issue? How is that an issue? Again, I'm not saying it's going to be a PC map, I'm just not seeing how it would be an "issue" if it turned out to be. Timberlands was great.

JackHerer

I think it's more that "It will cause the least drama" implies that it will be a largely popular decision to have remade this map. Since PC-only maps are less widely known than ones that appeared on console it would seem more likely that it would be a console map.

I don't think you can rule out PC maps but the hint that it will be well received suggests that it will be a well-known and popular map (i.e. one that appeared on consoles). I don't think that a PC map would cause an issue though, just that it wont make nearly as many people excited as a classic console map would.

senador

Banned
^^^ Jack got it.

So, because they're not as popular, it'll cause an issue? How is that an issue? Again, I'm not saying it's going to be a PC map, I'm just not seeing how it would be an "issue" if it turned out to be. Timberlands was great.

Think about it.

Enfinit

I think it's more that "It will cause the least drama" implies that it will be a largely popular decision to have remade this map. Since PC-only maps are less widely known than ones that appeared on console it would seem more likely that it would be a console map.

I don't think you can rule out PC maps but the hint that it will be well received suggests that it will be a well-known and popular map (i.e. one that appeared on consoles).

You make a more compelling reason then senador does. I'd imagine if it turned out to be a PC map, the vast community would have a collective "meh", versus it being a classic Halo 2 or 3 map where everyone would board the hype train.

However, I don't see how it would be an "issue" regardless of what map it is. There still will be plenty of bitching, just more or less to a certain degree.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, what could be non-small, popular map that plays well with AAs? I'd add that it must not have been remade before, somehow i'd imagine 343i following this guide as with Halo CEA map pack, BUT this is just my guess, not necessarily true by any means.

Dunno, I think they look pretty awesome.

i mean its not that big a deal. the skull is ok i guess. but i don't really like the shield. at least compared to these.

iWhslPBdhOAd1.png

iwWGuJVJgbv6K.png

i can live with it though.

EDIT: why not match the achievement with the crossed light rifles and the promethean skull? maybe its an old build? SPOPS demos still use E3 build correct?

senador

Banned
You make a more compelling reason then senador does. I'd imagine if it turned out to be a PC map, the vast community would have a collective "meh", versus it being a classic Halo 2 or 3 map where everyone would board the hype train.

wat

I was saying essentially the same thing, or at least meant to. Remakes are a fan service of sorts. You give them a map they liked, create a little nostalgia, pull them back in. I don't think a PC map would be a bad fit, and I could see 1 of them being an option if there were several remakes. With only 1 remake though you choose wisely. You choose 1 that's going to work well and also be popular. A PC map will get a "wut, why? that's weird" vs "ah shit yeah, Valhalla is coming back! I loved that!".

Yes, to say it would be an "issue" is an exaggeration. No ones gonna be pissed but they may wish it was something else (which will happen with some people no matter what map they choose.)

Wrong word use then. Frank's wording was "Halo 4 only includes one map remake. I know what it is. It is good. It will cause the least drama of any new thing. It is NOT small." I feel a PC map would not create the least amount of drama.

On the other hand, he says the "least drama of any new thing". That's out of all the new things, not the specific map. Any map unless its Uncaged or Swordbase will cause less drama out of all the new things.

Whatever. I still think its Valhalla.

JackHerer

However, I don't see how it would be an "issue" regardless of what map it is. There still will be plenty of bitching, just more or less to a certain degree.

Yes, to say it would be an "issue" is an exaggeration. No ones gonna be pissed but they may wish it was something else (which will happen with some people no matter what map they choose.)

Enfinit

wat

I was saying essentially the same thing, or at least meant to. Remakes are a fan service of sorts. You give them a map they liked, create a little nostalgia, pull them back in. I don't think a PC map would be a bad fit, and I could see 1 of them being an option if there were several remakes. With only 1 remake though you choose wisely. You choose 1 that's going to work well and also be popular. A PC map will get a "wut, why? that's weird" vs "ah shit yeah, Valhalla is coming back! I loved that!".

Regardless, have we boiled down to what we think it might be? People keep mentioning Valhalla and Waterworks, which would be awesome. Has Frankie said whether or not this map has been remade before?

Why is that puny Spartan on Chief's campaign lobby?

In a bit of subversive storytelling, the entire game takes place in the head of your selected spartan while in Cyrosleep, dreaming of what it would be like to be the Master Chief, if he hadn't died at the end of Halo 3 after all. He is you, fanboy and wannabe sci-fi action hero, living out his dreams in his mind.

u4iX

Why is that puny Spartan on Chief's campaign lobby?

I have a feeling that your Spartan IV will be included somehow in the story, like the one debated on about being an ODST in the background while the chief was on what I'd assume was the UNSC Infinity, perhaps taking the role as a minor character.

Akai__

Messing with the language settings for Reach, thanks to GAF. French Kat is Hot.

How? Because when I switch the language on my Xbox, the campaign still remains german...

I think this is the 1st time we see skulls, right? Was there a confirmation, that skulls are back, before?

It's kinda cool, that they are returning. I just hope, that they are not hidden like they were in Halo CEA, because I found only 2 or 3 by myself.

JackHerer

lol.

Were findable skulls confirmed? I don't really want to have them out of the box like Reach. I'd like a reason to visit campaign after I beat it, and challenges don't count.

This. Finding skulls is fun. Gives me another reason to go back to campaign. Especially if there are unlockables tied to it. I got a kick out of going back and jumping through the rings to get the IWHBYD skull in order to unlock Hayabusa in H3.

This. Finding skulls is fun. Gives me another reason to go back to campaign. Especially if there are unlockables tied to it. I got a kick out of going back and jumping through the rings to get the IWHBYD skull in order to unlock Hayabusa in H3.
Also, no skulls along the lines of Halo 3's IWHBYD.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
This is a little early to be showing the game isn't it?

Hate it when they hold it back for the holiday season.

Karl2177

Do you know how many skulls are in the game? Maybe it is more than 3/ODST/Reach?

Is there a skull that lets me choose what weapons I spawn with? What my damage resistance is? Doubt it, and I want that customization. Then again, I shouldn't have been expecting much since we can't even drop the flag...

GhaleonEB

This is a little early to be showing the game isn't it?

Hate it when they hold it back for the holiday season.

Pretty sure they have not gone gold yet, though that should be any day/week now. Manufacturing, distribution and promotional logistics determine the buffer time to launch; it's been fairly consistant across Halo games.

BigShow36

Yea I feel like they could of done an october, maybe even september release.

Would have been cool if it released on September 25th again

Especially considering:

1) They're attempting to bring CoD kids to the game with CoD elements.
2) They're releasing it a week before an actual CoD game.

A September release would have made a lot more sense (and cents).

Top Bottom