• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

^ Exactly. It basically locks the content out from LE users, while letting standard edition users a fair chance at the content. It literally makes no fucking sense.

I guess if you care about that shit lol

A very large majority of market cares, and given its one of their selling points on the LE its not fun feeling like you are being screwed out of content.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Last time I'm gonna post this since I feel I'm ruffling too many feathers.

Those of you worried about missing out on shit (any of it) preorder exclusive or not. It doesn't look like you have to worry at all.

From the bottom of the bulletin.

Completionists worrying about the fact that exclusives mean certain items may never be available to them have been noted, and we’re definitely considering ways to make the entire gamut of items available at some point in the (relatively distant, since we obviously wish to give our retail partners plenty of room) future.
Everything is going to be available to everyone.

Halo 4 Limited Edition $99.99 USD - Halo 4 War Games Map Pass

Halo 4 War Games Map Pass - $24.99 USD

So what's the problem? the map pass is included with the LE...

The problem is this.

Standard edition 59.99 + Map pack 24.99 = 84.98.

Limited Edition = 99.99

99.99 - 84.98 = 15.01

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is what I was referring to. I love the clips I've listened to of the original songs but all the remixes I've heard have been terrible. I have no idea what you guy were trying to achieve with them. They just downgrade my view of the whole OST.

The remixes are not on the OST. The remixes are mixes of tracks from the OST, available for people who like that kind of thing as a separate product. If you are the kind of person who does not enjoy that kind of thing, at no point will you be forced to purchase it.

daedalius

The remixes are not on the OST. The remixes are mixes of tracks from the OST, available for people go like that kind of thing as a separate product. If you are the kind of person who does not enjoy that kind of thing, at no point will you be forced to purchase it.

Personally I liked the Remix track. Anyway to get the songs in a legit manner without buying the crazy Halo 4 LE soundtrack?

PS can you ask your marketing guys who are locking out armor (which was made to be locked out and wasn't taken from the game, I know) and making it confusing as hell why they don't like happiness and enjoy our salty tears?

Apparently the bonus armor pieces are not included with the LE version of the Mappack pass.. effectively, if you want them you have to buy the mappack pass twice.

MrBig

The remixes are not on the OST. The remixes are mixes of tracks from the OST, available for people who like that kind of thing as a separate product. If you are the kind of person who does not enjoy that kind of thing, at no point will you be forced to purchase it.

Yes, once I actually looked it up again I see that it's part of a separate set. I was under the impression that it was all together for some reason.

Stinkles

Personally I liked the Remix track. Anyway to get the songs in a legit manner without buying the crazy Halo 4 LE soundtrack?

PS can you ask your marketing guys who are locking out armor and making it confusing as hell why they don't like happiness and enjoy our salty tears?

They make maragaritas from tears. We will clarify all the armor etc over the next week or two, some of it was still in flux. Hence confusion. The important hint in the update was that certain outlets are actually running out of LEs. After cat helmet gate (where they actually doubled the manufacturing order on that helmet after we warned of limited supplies), I do not want to overstate this as a shortage, but if you haven't made your mind up, at least keep an eye on who still has preorders left.

Last time I'm gonna post this since I feel I'm ruffling too many feathers.

Those of you worried about missing out on shit (any of it) preorder exclusive or not. It doesn't look like you have to worry at all.

From the bottom of the bulletin.

Everything is going to be available to everyone.

They will probably put it out as a paid DLC, which is disgusting.

First the Salt: I'm becoming less and less enthusiastic about the LE. I don't see how the digital goodies are going to increase the fun I have with the game and the non-digital stuff doesn't look all that interesting.

Now for the SLRP: Just listened to the Covie weapon video with some headphones on. 343 did a great job with the new Covenant weapon sounds. Consider me excite for the Forerunner weapons video.

What about the beam rifle which completely lost its iconic sound and now sounds like something ripped from star wars?

That was my favorite.

First the Salt: I'm becoming less and less enthusiastic about the LE. I don't see how the digital goodies are going to increase the fun I have with the game and the non-digital stuff doesn't look all that interesting.

Now for the SLRP: Just listened to the Covie weapon video with some headphones on. 343 did a great job with the new Covenant weapon sounds. Consider me excite for the Forerunner weapons video.

What about the beam rifle which completely lost its iconic sound and now sounds like something ripped from star wars?

Havok

Super late to the party on the Covenant weapons video.

I'm anxious to see how prevalent the Fuel Rod is in matchmaking. That thing has never, ever been fit for multiplayer, but it still got shoved into a few Reach maps (where it is a complete, ridiculous disaster). Seeing that it's still powerful with five shots per reload (and at least an extra 10 on top of that if the video showed the default pickup amount) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That's (edit) a whole bunch of easy kills if it's anything like every other version of the weapon.

Also, been talked about to death, but the sword/sprint return is unsettling, especially since they've talked in the past about tailoring small maps' drops to have CQC weapons.

Edit: finally read the text in the bulletin, which clarified that the FRG isn't a OHKO, which is a good step.

I'm anxious to see how prevalent the Fuel Rod is in matchmaking. That thing has never, ever been fit for multiplayer, but it still got shoved into a few Reach maps (where it is a complete, ridiculous disaster). Seeing that it's still powerful with five shots per reload (and at least an extra 10 on top of that if the video showed the default pickup amount) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That's 15 easy kills if it's anything like every other version of the weapon.

The Halo 2 and 3 version of the weapon took two direct hits to kill.

Stinkles

I'm anxious to see how prevalent the Fuel Rod is in matchmaking. That thing has never, ever been fit for multiplayer, but it still got shoved into a few Reach maps (where it is a complete, ridiculous disaster). Seeing that it's still powerful with five shots per reload (and at least an extra 10 on top of that if the video showed the default pickup amount) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That's 15 easy kills if it's anything like every other version of the weapon.

Also, been talked about to death, but the sword/sprint return is unsettling, especially since they've talked about tailoring small maps' drops to have CQC weapons.

Rare and map appropriate.

Karl2177

Also, I had a giant post about Sprint+Sword written up, but my Internet popped right as I hit submit. I'll just say that the gist of it was that pairing a one-shot kill weapon with an ability to close the distance between your opponent and yourself is bad.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Also, I had a giant post about Sprint+Sword written up, but my Internet popped right as I hit submit. I'll just say that the gist of it was that pairing a one-shot kill weapon with an ability to close the distance between your opponent and yourself is bad.

Well the hammer accomplishes the same thing just without the lunge. Obviously removing sprint from the players isn't gonna happen so in what way could you balance the sword more? Lower the lunge distance or halve it's charges? I would prefer less ammo over less distance on lunge, thats what makes the weapon.

Havok

The Halo 2 and 3 version of the weapon took two direct hits to kill.
Just checked in 3 and yeah, you're right. I'm still not a big fan of the thing on a kind of fundamental level just because of how easy it is to recover from a missed shot since with such a deep magazine and how rapidly it fires for being so powerful.
Rare and map appropriate.
All right, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out then. I appreciate the responses clarifying this stuff (from both you and David) -- it's hard to think of some of these things, especially returning elements, outside of the context of the past games that we've spent so much time in.

Aside from the reassurances offered by Ellis there are a couple of other things that also give me hope for the Sword being fun and balanced in Halo 4. The first is the time-to-kill for most of the primary weapons that I will be using. The second is the belief that 343 can add weapons to maps in such a way that we avoid play experiences like the Countdown Health Pack Camp-a-thon.

more hyped for the remix OST than the game. holy shit that track was cool.

I'm still more hyped for the game, but I liked the music in the Covie video much more than the music for the UNSC video.

Why couldn't you guys make camo an ordinance drop item?

You're asking for too much ;]

Welp, just finished watching Big Brother and gotta say.. What a great frikkin season! I'm glad it ended up like that :D

I honestly think that as long as the sword isn't on a mainly close quarters map, it'll be fine. If you're gonna give someone a sword, that's enough advantage. They don't need you to put them in the scenario where it thrives. Same goes for every power weapon.

Doubtful and IMO for good reason. I would want to see a Sword on a small map just as much as I'd want to see it on a larger map, but in CQC areas where it thrives. It's all map dependent anyway, but no sense in putting a Sword on Blood Gulch or a Sniper on Wizard for example.

Purplemage

Neo Member
The second is the belief that 343 can add weapons to maps in such a way that we avoid play experiences like the Countdown Health Pack Camp-a-thon.

Now as much as I love that area your right. Hell I'd argue if your smart all of countdown is just built for the sword, period. But better maps combined with quicker kill times make me believe it's gonna be much harder for me to get sprees. But man will that make slice n dices so much more satisfying.

^ I think it looks awkward as hell, but I like it.. I definitely was not on the complaining end of that, especially when it comes to more customization options. Its also worth noting that the Strider helmet looks sufficiently awesome.

They make maragaritas from tears. We will clarify all the armor etc over the next week or two, some of it was still in flux. Hence confusion. The important hint in the update was that certain outlets are actually running out of LEs. After cat helmet gate (where they actually doubled the manufacturing order on that helmet after we warned of limited supplies), I do not want to overstate this as a shortage, but if you haven't made your mind up, at least keep an eye on who still has preorders left.

Well at least it all makes sense now. :lol

One way or another, I really hope the LE version mappack pass will come with the mappack goodies. And about the LE's in short supply- yeah, I didn't preorder at GS in time and am now relying on Amazon.. I'm still hoping my GS will get extra or have a cancellation so I can join the midnight fun.

zap

Hmm, so the EB games in my town has run out of LE, they could still get more? I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it then.

Btw, no-one seemed to notice this choice quote about the Concussion Rifle:

The biggest change to the Halo 4 Concussion Rifle are the stronger physics impulses from the explosions along with faster projectile speed, which makes it work better in more open spaces and from a longer distance.

So we don't get the Pro-pipe which has a finesse about it, instead we get the Concussion Rifle that is MORE annoying to face, bouncing you all over the place?

:(

heckfu

Banned
It's the fact that they are keeping it from us when they shouldn't be.

Holy shit, you can't be serious. It doesn't modify the game play in any way, shape, or form. And they aren't keeping it from you, you can buy the edition it comes with if it's a huge deal.

Also, don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere a couple weeks back (bsangel, I think) that they may end up releasing armor? Don't quote me.

Also, remember the time you threw a hissy-fit and quit gaf? Those were the days.
I've done the same. My conditions upon return were that a zoojoo got banned...and banned he was.

The people that were saying it's dumb aren't the same people that are saying it's cool and want it.

There's literally no way either of us can prove that. I make jokes for a living, don't be so srsly.

Ramirez

That reminds me, my package came on Saturday to my parent's place. They then sent it back with me to my apartment on Monday night, and right now it's flattening to be put in a poster frame.

Thanks again for being a generous dude!

Probably going to sound like an idiot here, but is there a process to go about making them flat again? I was unrolling my posters & trying to figure out how they would ever look good in a frame. The southern hillbilly in me says, hey just put them in a big book and flatten them.

"We hate the scanner helmet it looks like dumb!!!!"

"...wait, we can't have it? GIVE US THE HELMET IT'S SO KEWL!!!"

Rygk7.gif

Covenant video looked great to me, I'm so ready to play this game. I have 0 expectations and just want to dig into it myself. Not interested in defending the game, or pissing on it on here anymore.

Holy shit, you can't be serious. It doesn't modify the game play in any way, shape, or form. And they aren't keeping it from you, you can buy the edition it comes with if it's a huge deal.

Also, don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere a couple weeks back (bsangel, I think) that they may end up releasing armor? Don't quote me.

Also, remember the time you threw a hissy-fit and quit gaf? Those were the days.
I've done the same. My conditions upon return were that a zoojoo got banned...and banned he was.

War Games Map Pack is one of the advertised features of the LE, factoring it as part of the price. Therefore I am paying for it when I buy the LE. So, say I want the bonuses awarded to those who purchase the Map Pack I would be forced to double dip, basically i works against those who buy the LE.. You shouldn't have to buy the LE and then feel locked out of other content that non LE buyers have access to, its illogical.

How about you go fuck yourself? I already linked you to my explanation the first time you said this shit but apparently you didn't read it. Or maybe you are just a massive asshole who literally doesn't give a fuck about anything.

Karl2177

Well the hammer accomplishes the same thing just without the lunge. Obviously removing sprint from the players isn't gonna happen so in what way could you balance the sword more? Lower the lunge distance or halve it's charges? I would prefer less ammo over less distance on lunge, thats what makes the weapon.
Maybe by slowing you down like it does for every other weapon. It seems like an unnecessary line of code that could be used else where like:

white_text_on = false;

Aside from the reassurances offered by Ellis there are a couple of other things that also give me hope for the Sword being fun and balanced in Halo 4. The first is the time-to-kill for most of the primary weapons that I will be using. The second is the belief that 343 can add weapons to maps in such a way that we avoid play experiences like the Countdown Health Pack Camp-a-thon.
Which Ellis was instantly refuted by a condescending Juices. But it's true. Did any of the MP team play Reach against any douchebag opponents? Did they ever get killed by Sprint+Sword and think that it was a cheap kill? I'm guessing the answer is no to both of those.

For the record I just want to know what I'm buying. Am I getting the CD drive helmet or what?

Probably going to sound like an idiot here, but is there a process to go about making them flat again? I was unrolling my posters & trying to figure out how they would ever look good in a frame. The southern hillbilly in me says, hey just put them in a big book and flatten them.
I just unrolled it and set it on my desk. Then I put two of my heaviest school books on top of it. So far so good.

Anyone in agreement with this statement must be under the impression that HaloGAF is a unified front that all share the same opinion because I don't think anyone who thought it looked "dumb" would care if it was released to the public.. but IF they did, they probably are just complaining since they recognize others want it so they view it as limiting the fans.

That being said.. moot point is moot because...........

You would be correct ;] but either way, I personally wouldn't mind if the FOTUS helmet were kept exclusive.. same for any armor.

inb4 you weren't srs but you definitely were

War Games Map Pack is one of the advertised features of the LE, factoring it as part of the price. Therefore I am paying for it when I buy the LE. So, say I want the bonuses awarded to those who purchase the Map Pack I would be forced to double dip, basically i works against those who buy the LE.. You shouldn't have to buy the LE and then feel locked out of other content that non LE buyers have access to, its illogical.

But in total seriousness, this. 100% agree.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Maybe by slowing you down like it does for every other weapon. It seems like an unnecessary line of code that could be used else where like:

white_text_on = false;

Ok so sticking with that train of thought how would that make the sword play any better? All that would lead to is a sword user camping far more than usual. Hell it would make you choose camo over thruster pack. You wouldn't have much choice except to wait behind a corner for someone to come to you.

At least this way the sword user may be ballsy enough to run out, take shots, die and pass the sword on to someone else. Faster gameplay etc etc.

Which Ellis was instantly refuted by a condescending Juices. But it's true. Did any of the MP team play Reach against any douchebag opponents? Did they ever get killed by Sprint+Sword and think that it was a cheap kill? I'm guessing the answer is no to both of those.

I can't really answer either of those questions, but based on the fact that they introduced the special case of the sword guy NOT slowing down when shot, you might be onto something there.

With a decent lunge and a quick "equipping" animation I would think the sword could be quite good in the hands of most of the players in this thread without the no-slow-down perk attached to it. It will be fun to revisit this issue in November.

It's something as simple as Halo 4 being a totally different game. If you take the Halo 3 BR (the most used weapon in Halo 3) and put it in Halo 4 exactly how it was, do you think anyone would use it? Probably not lol

Halo 4 is a completely different beast with faster kill times and faster gameplay. Stuff like them removing the greatest addition to Reach ('Nade Launcher) is something worthy of complaining.. Not something like making a weapon that's only effective in one tiny niche actually less nerfed.

Top Bottom