• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I like 3 but the reactions in this thread are beyond me for the most part it's good but nothing insane it's on par with 2 on a per level basis with the covenant being the only standout.

TheOddOne

Reach is mediocre all around, it's not bad but it's not good either.
Also, Bungie is really bad at making it feel like a planet is under attack. They didn't pull it off in Halo 2, Halo 3 or Reach and I only got that feeling in the last few moments of ODST.
I don't get why they even tried to do the whole intimate squad storyline, while something huge and more interesting is happening outside. ODST did the squad storyline better, even with all the limitations.

CyReN

Steal Over post

Story
Halo 1>Halo 3>ODST>Halo 2>Reach

Gameplay
Halo 1>Halo 2>Halo 3>Reach>ODST

Atmosphere
Halo 1>Reach>ODST>Halo 2>Halo 3

Curious what my favorite game is.

nillapuddin

i cant rank these games man

All I can say with confidence is the dialogue in 2 is GOAT,
the prophets are done to fucking perfection.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I hated H3 at first, if only for poop level on Legendary as my first run. That said, I've improved immensely since 07'.

Swift

Neo Member
I think i enjoyed ODST's ambiance most with the combination of music and intrigue, But i think halo 2 had some great mixtures of pace in the feel of the game at times.

I don't get why they even tried to do the whole intimate squad storyline, while something huge and more interesting is happening outside. ODST did the squad storyline better, even with all the limitations.
Agreed. ODST's setting lent itself much better to the squad dynamic. Reach should have had a much more gigantic sense of scale and gravitas.

GhaleonEB

Halo 3's atmosphere was awesome, better then Reach by a mile.

ODST atmosphere was the best.

To me they were both successful at their goal. ODST's is easier to define, with the rain-soaked dark streets and smokey sex sax playing.

I think Halo 3 is the game where the atmosphere - the feeling the game conveys - was set by the gameplay as much as the audio/visuals. The game is just packed with (I hate to use this term, but it fits) epic action scenes. The Ark really sells large-scale, balls to the wall combat set against jaw-dropping sci-fi backdrops in a way the series just never touched before, or since. That's not the entire game of course, but it's what I think of when I think of Halo 3.

CyReN

I can't argue with that, still puts a smile on my face every time I go back and replay that mission.

also Ellis responded about the sparkast on twitter

PLqON.png

Enfinit

Story
Halo CE > ODST > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3

Gameplay
Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3 > ODST > Reach

Atmosphere
ODST > Halo CE > Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 3

ODST's atmosphere was spectacular. Personally, ODST's campaign was and is still the best campaign in the franchise.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Story
Halo 2>Halo 1>ODST>Halo 3>Reach

Gameplay
Halo 1>Halo 3>ODST>Reach>Halo 2

Atmosphere
ODST>Halo 2>Halo 1>Reach>Halo 3
I think I'd put ODST before Halo 3 in the gameplay department, but otherwise I 100% agree.

Story
Halo 2 > Halo: CE = ODST = Halo 3

Gameplay
Halo 2 > Halo 3 = ODST > Halo CE

Atmosphere
ODST > Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3

that's right, halo reach isn't even on my list. honestly i thought the story was lame (especially when it retconned existing books), the gameplay wasn't that special, and it had like zero atmosphere.

for singleplayer

Halo 2>>Halo ODST>Halo 3>Halo Wars>Halo Reach>Halo 1 CEA

for MM

Halo 3>Halo 2>Halo Reach (dont know if halo wars counts for Multiplayer rating)

nillapuddin

recorded our CTF match in Exile. Had lavalier mics in my headset to record audio. 20 minutes, will upload as soon as I can borrow a laptop.

bsangel came over and teased me when I spent the first 5 minutes just going through the loadout options.

Did this video ever go up?
I dont feel like Ive seen it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Maybe it was because I didn't play through CE first, but yeah, I don't like it very much. At least campaign-wise. Multiplayer was awesome.

I prefer Halo CE's story overall just because of how well it works as a single entry, while 2 is the one that's most dependent on the other entries. I don't care that it's been 8 years, that ending is still inexcusable.

DesertFox

bungie hasn't made a good Halo campaign in a decade. Bungie suffers from the Blizzard effect, where you have people who aren't very skilled in their fields getting executive directorial/writing positions simply because they've been with the company a long time, and now they can't be replaced.

While I would disagree in that I enjoyed Halo 2 and Halo 3's stories, I do agree with the point you're making about Bungie. I feel like by the time Reach came around, they were just tired of making Halo games, and it showed. Halo Reach doesn't have at all the same "feel" as the previous Halo games.

With that being said, it's for this reason that I'm extremely happy that 343 has the reigns. I think a change in management is exactly what the series needs.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yeah me too, it was mmm maybe very simple then you have to return for the very same path you came

Yeah, the backtracking really bothered me. Just felt like a chore, to be honest.

And if we're going to rank multiplayer, I'm assuming we all share a similar ranking:

Halo 2~3>Halo CE>pile of garbage>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach

I've noticed that a "Knight" wielding the Hardlight Blade uses it primarily for Defense to distance its enemies and breaking shields.

While higher class Knights "Captain, Commander, Battlewagon, and other unknown ranks (atm)" wield Hardlight Scythe for Offensive/Rogue Tactics when Insta-Strafe Phase at enemies. Results of fatality depends on class and difficulty.

Enfinit

bungie hasn't made a good Halo campaign in a decade. Bungie suffers from the Blizzard effect, where you have people who aren't very skilled in their fields getting executive directorial/writing positions simply because they've been with the company a long time, and now they can't be replaced.

Joseph Staten?

DeadNames

Banned
Yeah, the backtracking really bothered me. Just felt like a chore, to be honest.

And if we're going to rank multiplayer, I'm assuming we all share a similar ranking:

Halo 2~3>Halo CE>pile of garbage>>>>>>>>>>>>>Reach

Whoa whoa whoa... Now we're ranking MP?

Here goes!

Halo 2> Halo CE> Halo 3> MW3> MW2> Crap> Reach.

I've noticed that a "Knight" wielding the Hardlight Blade uses it primarily for Defense to distance its enemies and breaking shields.

While higher class Knights "Captain, Commander, Battlewagon, and other unknown ranks (atm)" wield Hardlight Scythe for Offensive/Rogue Tactics when Insta-Strafe Phase at enemies. Results of fatality depends on class and difficulty.
There's video of a Knight assassinating an Elite with a blade, but also backhanding someone with a light rifle. It looks like they use both for melee purposes

I love how in this image, instead of just slicing the enemy with his sword, the Knight does a 360 to hit it with the gun.
Looks sick though :p

i8xxsy2IevqTb.gif

For me, Halo had the best in-game atmosphere; the feeling of mystery upon initial landing on Halo, then dread and horror that builds up to the reveal of the Flood is second to none in the series. But as a story, Halo 2 takes the cake.

The sheer volume of world building Bungie did in that game is incredible. The scope expands exponentially, a host of charactes are created and fleshed out (the Arbiter and Truth being standouts), and there are actual character arcs they pass through. The Arbiter's journey from shamed commander to suicide mission chaser to having his faith shaken, and ultimately turning away from the Covenant was so well done; it's still some of my favorite story telling in all of gaming. There are so many ways it could have gone wrong, and they pulled it off at every front.

Shame it was cut short, but what Bungie did in Halo 2 has defined and set the fictional foundations for the entire rest of the series.

This so so much. Really was incredible.

I've said this before, but I don't think I can rank the Halo campaigns absolutely, as they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Gameplay though, I would definitely say that CE is still the superior game. The weapon sandbox is simply better than any other game by a wide margin, and it contributes massively to making the combat loop incredibly fun.

There's video of a Knight assassinating an Elite with a blade, but also backhanding someone with a light rifle. It looks like they use both for melee purposes
I love how in this image, instead of just slicing the enemy with his sword, the Knight does a 360 to hit it with the gun.
Looks sick though :p
i8xxsy2IevqTb.gif
This as well. I liked that the Weapons are literally an extension of their own body.

DeadNames

Banned
You go too far.

Seriously, the Modern Warfares are some of the worst games ever made. Don't get caught up in Reach hate so much that you lose all sense of perspective.

At least MW3 is fun... Occasionally. Reach just feels like a chore. Donging/getting donged on in Reach is just frustrating. But MW2 should probably go after reach :p.

Top Bottom