• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Can't believe all the hate Reach campaign gets (I can understand multi) but to me it's only second to Halo's campaign. It's that good.
I disagree. It was a bunch of Firefight missions strung together with on rails sections, with a sniper and space section thrown in for fun

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I disagree. It was a bunch of Firefight missions strung together with on rails sections, with a sniper and space section thrown in for fun

Kind of like Halo 3's campaign?

I liked Reach's campaign for what it was. The story didn't quite follow the path I wanted it to, but it was fun at least.

I did finish the mission. It is just so fucking lame. The play area is small. Why i can't i hijack vehicles, why i can't i hijack Sprits and Phantoms? Establish supply caches, hide, try to assassinate local field masters, that's what you should be able to do.

At very least the final cutscene should be different depending on how many Covies you killed, as it is it doesn't matter.
Hey! Here is the game, you are looking for.

I liked Reach's campaign for what it was. The story didn't quite follow the path I wanted it to, but it was fun at least.
No. None of the firefight sequences in 3 felt like a Firefight sequence. It is completely different in Reach. If you have to defend a position, it feels like you have to protect it for hours.

Reach Campaign has it's ups and downs, just like the others.
What's ultimately very damaging to it is that it, in my opinion, doesn't succeed at at all in what it sold itself upon, being on a team of Spartan's on the falling of humanity's most powerful planet.

Noble Team's AI during and effect upon combat was poor, when there at all.
Reach.. felt like we barely saw any of it. Little to no emotional attachment with Alexandria, very little large scale battling, save for one cutscene.

Post campaign survival battle was a great touch though.

Beckx

No. None of the firefight sequences in 3 felt like a Firefight sequence. It is completely different in Reach. If you have to defend a position, it feels like you have to protect it for hours.

I like Reach's campaign, but I can't disagree with this.

There is nothing comparable to Covenant or Ark in Reach.

I didn't find 3 like that at all. Reach was full of "Wait here for pickup and fight off waves of enemies" or "Wait here for the door to open and fight off waves of enemies." Hell, even the space section was structured like a firefight mission.

I love me some CoD style scripted moments!
I pray to whatever gods are listening that Halo 4 never has that on-rails shit again. It was by far the biggest disappointment for me, beyond the extremely lame script.

I like Reach's campaign, but I can't disagree with this.

There is nothing comparable to Covenant or Ark in Reach.
Same here. Can't wait to see what 4's campaign has in store. I'm hesitant to even watch more vidocs about campaign; I really want to know as little as possible before waking up to an electric blue hottie.

KageMaru

Posted this in the Vidoc thread but figure I'd post it here too so hopefully Frankie gives some kind of reply (or if any HaloGaffer already knows the answer):

Frankie, if you are reading this thread, can you clarify if the Knights have shields similar to the Spartans and Elites? I'm asking because it was mentioned in the Vidocs how the Crawlers become more aggressive once the Knight's shield is taken down. Would this be the shield provided by the Watcher or an additional shield the Knight has? It would be odd that the Covenant have shields, which was supposed to be based on Forerunner tech, and the actual Forerunners do not. On top of that, this raises a rather large concern that if the Knights do not have shields of their own, it will be too easy to whittle away at their health like it was with the Brutes. The Brutes were great in terms of AI and abilities, but their threat was severely diminished since you could eventually kill them by just shooting them enough. The inclusion of shields on the Elites forced additional strategies to beat them and made them an equal to the Chief.

Also disappointed that there are only 3 types of Prometheans.

Striker

I didn't find 3 like that at all. Reach was full of "Wait here for pickup and fight off waves of enemies" or "Wait here for the door to open and fight off waves of enemies."
So you didn't like "Halo" in CE, as that was its primary objective? It was one of the most memorable missions in the series despite those firefight-like holdouts. The sense of exploration is one of those lacking things the campaigns have lacked. I suppose the strong push for invisible walls in almost all areas kind of held us off on that restriction.

So you didn't like "Halo" in CE, as that was its primary objective? It was one of the most memorable missions in the series despite those firefight-like holdouts. The sense of exploration is one of those lacking things the campaigns have lacked. I suppose the strong push for invisible walls in almost all areas kind of held us off on that restriction.
I didn't say I didn't like it for a mission. I don't like it when it's the whole game.

Karl2177

But you still moved around and advanced forward in an interesting way. Reach has you moving forward by walking through corridors to the next Firefight sequence or through an on-rails segment.

img_92805_lets-play-halo-reach-part-xvii-mission-9-pillar-of-autumn.jpg

Halo_final_alt1_th.jpg

How you can defend the top with the bottom surprises me.

GhaleonEB

I pray to whatever gods are listening that Halo 4 never has that on-rails shit again. It was by far the biggest disappointment for me, beyond the extremely lame script.

I saw those moments and was so disappointed; they were such a lost opportunity. The same terrain tackled on foot would have been awesome, and added a lot of play time to a short campaign.

The Exodus one I think was easier to justify, since it was more about selling the overwhelming odds and sense of hopelessness of the siege, one of the only times in the game that Bungie managed to do so - but it still should not have been on rails. Imagine if that part played more like the section on The Covenant from Halo 3, where we take the Hornets along the coast to one of the shield generators.

The one on Tip of the Spear, though, was a very bad idea all around. We spend half the game avoiding AA guns - including the very start of the mission - then decide to ride through a valley filled with them. Even setting aside the memorization based gameplay, the decision to fly through there gives me fits every time.

Hoping for no on rails content, and minimal QTE style events; we've already seen a few.

Halo 3 has very few siege sections. Offhand, I can't even think of any, though I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. That game had a great sense of forward progress - The Ark and The Covenant, The Storm. I can't recall ever stopping dead for some door that won't open, or elevator to arrive.

Siege moments in Halo 3...

Well, defending Crow's Nest hangar so the Pelicans can leave

and uh

Holding up the fort at the top of that hill at Tsavo Highway

Although that one is pretty awesome

IHaveIce

Banned
Siege moments in Halo 3...

Well, defending Crow's Nest hangar so the Pelicans can leave

and uh

Holding up the fort at the top of that hill at Tsavo Highway

Although that one is pretty awesome

You are right, this is really good.

Man I think I'm gonna play Halo 3 campaign again today

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm going to replay all the games. My mind is full of fog. I just remember liking Halo 3 the least because of the story. It didn't go anywhere. 1 was very good and I even liked 2 because of the change in perspective (despite the cliffhanger).

kylej

Banned
bungie hasn't made a good Halo campaign in a decade. Bungie suffers from the Blizzard effect, where you have people who aren't very skilled in their fields getting executive directorial/writing positions simply because they've been with the company a long time, and now they can't be replaced.

Karl2177

You picked the worst section of Reach with one of the best of Halo, of course that would make any defense of Reach questionable.
Then what sections in Reach stuck out as "good". I'll give the intro to LNoS, but aside from that no encounters are memorable in a good way.

Tawpgun

Then what sections in Reach stuck out as "good". I'll give the intro to LNoS, but aside from that no encounters are memorable in a good way.

Boneyard segment of POA was good.
ONI Swordbase was a good level.
If Exodus had elites I would have liked it more.

But most memorable? Easily New Alexandria. Loved it.

I still can't get over how poor the overall atmosphere and story was for Reach, the covenants initial arrival was laughably bad, and the way they just ignored the backstory sucked.

Gameplay was pretty fun I thought, it doesn't really live up to the highs of some of the older campaigns, but was good. I think a lot of the environments didn't lend themselves to good set peices which didn't help.

Overdoziz

Banned
Reach is mediocre all around, it's not bad but it's not good either.
Also, Bungie is really bad at making it feel like a planet is under attack. They didn't pull it off in Halo 2, Halo 3 or Reach and I only got that feeling in the last few moments of ODST.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest complaint with Reach's campaign is that Legendary doesn't feel hard, it just feels cheap. Get four sniper headshots on an Elite: nothing. Stick an Elite with a plasma grenade: nothing. A full DMR magazine: nothing. I felt like I absolutely had to use the noob combo whenever I came up against an Elite.

And it's the same with Halo 2. It makes things pretty frustrating, not to mention boring.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I still can't get over how poor the overall atmosphere and story was for Reach, the covenants initial arrival was laughably bad, and the way they just ignored the backstory sucked.

Gameplay was pretty fun I thought, it doesn't really live up to the highs of some of the older campaigns, but was good.

I thought the story was solid, if I didn't look too hard.

What you said bothered me the most though. The Covenant just landed on REACH. The main UNSC military world! It's like second to Earth in the importance scale of planets. And when it happens, Noble team acts all non-nonchalant about it.

I expected sirens everywhere, mass evacuations, Cole protocol in effect, Spartans helping evac ONI and UNSC command personnel.

Also, Bungie is really bad at making it feel like a planet is under attack. They didn't pull it off in Halo 2, Halo 3 or Reach and I only got that feeling in the last few moments of ODST.

The Covenant are on Reach. I repeat, the Covenant are on Reach.

I'm going to replay all the games. My mind is full of fog. I just remember liking Halo 3 the least because of the story. It didn't go anywhere. 1 was very good and I even liked 2 because of the change in perspective (despite the cliffhanger).
That explains it. Your original comment – "Kind of like Halo 3's campaign?" – made me say, "What?" Halo 3 is the farthest you can get from what thezerofire was describing. I think what ViewtifulJC listed are the only Firefight-like encounters in the game, and both are of great quality. The one on Tsavo Highway especially so.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
That explains it. Your original comment – "Kind of like Halo 3's campaign?" – made me say, "What?" Halo 3 is the farthest you can get from what thezerofire was describing.

The main thing that popped up in my head was the Scarab fight. Which seemed like one big "kill guys before moving on" part. Reach did have a lot now that I think back, but the only ones I disliked in Reach was the one where you have to protect Emile from Hunters at Powerhouse, and the one protecting Jorge. The rest seemed fine.

Gazzawa

Gameplay was pretty fun I thought, it doesn't really live up to the highs of some of the older campaigns, but was good. I think a lot of the environments didn't lend themselves to good set peices.

After a playthrough this week of Reach,ODST and 3 I agree with all of the above. 1st half of Reach was forgettable. They went a bit overboard with the "ode to the original". Its ok to do that but by the 3rd mission we should be doing something completely new. From the space part in Long Night of Solace onwards it was really enjoyable, dips a bit in the last mission. ODST is still unreal especially listening to "Sadie's story" during the long hikes.
3 is kinda meh nowadays but I remember enjoying it the first time round at least.

nillapuddin

My biggest complaint with Reach's campaign is that Legendary doesn't feel hard, it just feels cheap. Get four sniper headshots on an Elite: nothing. Stick an Elite with a plasma grenade: nothing. A full DMR magazine: nothing. I felt like I absolutely had to use the noob combo whenever I came up against an Elite.

yeah, no argument there

And it's the same with Halo 2. It makes things pretty frustrating, not to mention boring.

Halo 2 legendary, which I have called out for being BS many times, isnt as bullshit as Reach consistently is.
Yes the enemies have an insane fire rate, but they dont have 16x god-shields and evade literally every offensive advancement you make

Halo 2 is a test of how well you can skip levels, manage skulls, trick the game and keep your power weapons with unlimited ammo.

Once you figure those things out, its actually really fun

but playing legendary "legit" just running through like normal, no, fuck that shit, no no no

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You're in my light, commander

That guy gets bossed around by Kat the whole game
Yeahhhh, the endless bickering between Noble Team got really old. They act more like cranky siblings than genetically advanced super soldiers (sup MasterPwner 117!).

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
yeah, no argument there

Halo 2 legendary, which I have called out for being BS many times, isnt as bullshit as Reach consistently is.
Yes the enemies have an insane fire rate, but they dont have 16x god-shields and evade literally every offensive advancement you make

Halo 2 is a test of how well you can skip levels, manage skulls, trick the game and keep your power weapons with unlimited ammo.

Once you figure those things out, its actually really fun

but playing legendary "legit" just running through like normal, no, fuck that shit, no no no

Halo 2 legit legendary run solo was the worst 16 hours of my life.... 3 of those hours were spent on the same jackle sniper encounter... open door... die... restart at save... repeat....

I was a terrible noob back then.....

Havok

The main thing that popped up in my head was the Scarab fight. Which seemed like one big "kill guys before moving on" part. Reach did have a lot now that I think back, but the only ones I disliked in Reach was the one where you have to protect Emile from Hunters at Powerhouse, and the one protecting Jorge. The rest seemed fine.
Wow, I don't think any opinion could be farther from my own. Those two you mentioned were fine, because they were short, they didn't outstay their welcome. Contrast them with The Package's half-hour Glacier slog and Pillar of Autumn's "another wave, seriously?" framerate disaster. Gross.

I disagree with you loads in regards to multiplayer but damn if you don't nail campaign analysis. I could never put my finger on what I felt was wrong with those aspects of halo but that's right the sense of doom and urgency that others games impart when similar events occur. The threat never feels planet wide or global until the final section of ODST when you can see a city that your familiar with getting glassed. Those views of large scale destruction convy the threat much more that virtually the rest of the series. Halo 2 regret speech by Johnson and the 2 earth levels do a better job than halo 3 did but still nothing special.

nillapuddin

Halo 2 legit legendary run solo was the worst 16 hours of my life.... 3 of those hours were spent on the same jackle sniper encounter... open door... die... restart at save... repeat....

I was a terrible noob back then.....

i did it for vista last month

between infinite camo for the chief, and being a smart arbiter, it wasnt that difficult

dat first mission though, phew.

i just watched every best speed run video, then added in using the infi camo, and had fun getting revenge on that horrible horrible legendary experience

Boneyard segment of POA was good.
ONI Swordbase was a good level.
If Exodus had elites I would have liked it more.

But most memorable? Easily New Alexandria. Loved it.
These, plus Nightfall and the non-rails parts of Tip of the Sphere.

I can think of more ways that Bungie dropped the ball with Reach than any other Halo campaign, but it's still enjoyable for me for the most part.

lilty

All of the campaigns have problems. The first has a lot of buildings and rooms that are identical, 2 has some pretty horrific missions and 3 is pretty decent but nothing amazing. To say that Reach is a terrible campaign when compared to the other 3 games is kind of unreasonable since the entire series has seen campaigns with many highs and lows.

I also don't understand the mentality that the large defensive firefights in Reach were a bad thing. The whole point of the game is that they were trying to defend Reach, and even then throughout the majority of the game you're traveling different areas and making offensive pushes.

i did it for vista last month

between infinite camo for the chief, and being a smart arbiter, it wasnt that difficult

dat first mission though, phew.

i just watched every best speed run video, then added in using the infi camo, and had fun getting revenge on that horrible horrible legendary experience

Halo 2 is the hardest but I think I finished it in 9 hours it's main issue is that it plain cheats in certain areas starting missions and getting shot before you can react or checkpoints during getting sniped. I don't blame bungie for doing it intentionally but it's virtually the only reason why Halo 2 legendary is difficult.

Woorloog

Banned
I also don't understand the mentality that the large defensive firefights in Reach were a bad thing. The whole point of the game is that they were trying to defend Reach, and even then throughout the majority of the game you're traveling different areas and making offensive pushes.

Spartans are an offensive tool, they should be constantly harassing, ambushing, counterattacking, not defeding.

Top Bottom