• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

IHaveIce

Banned
Call of Duty 4 is one of the best FPSes of all time

I won't go that far, but it is indeed the best CoD.

I can't rank the campaigns, for the same reasons named by Steely.

Multiplayer:

Halo 2 (Post-Update) >Halo Reach MLG > CE / Halo 3 > Halo 2 (Pre-Update) > Halo Reach( Title Update) > Halo Reach

I love how in this image, instead of just slicing the enemy with his sword, the Knight does a 360 to hit it with the gun.
Looks sick though :p

i8xxsy2IevqTb.gif

I like how he celebrates lol.

Revolutionary, maybe. It certainly marked the beginning of COD's ascent to where it is today.

But it still feels just as cheap as any of the other CODs. The only fun COD was WaW.

CoD4 felt pretty good compared to the newer CoDs! I will go as far as saying the campaign blew me away more than Reach's did, and the multiplayer was better.

I think its easy to dismiss CoD, especially on the campaign side, since they have retreaded the same formulae for the last 5 years but the first time they did it... it was fantastic.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The multiplayer in Reach and CoD are totally different creatures, and shouldn't really be compared holistically.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I feel for this to be the case something very bad must've happened to the FPS genre.
Don't get me wrong, I like old school FPSes quote a bit. But IMO COD4 does so much right. It has an incredible campaign (which is right behind Halo 3 as my favorite FPS campaign of all time). It's multiplayer is awesome too. It had loadouts without overpowered nonsense.

Which leads to my next point...
On the topic of this, anyone stop to think that Halo 4 will be the CoD 4 of Halo? A redefinition of gameplay- and a successful one too.

Hopefully minus the downfall in quality afterwards...
It most definitely could. Although if it manages to do what COD4 did with its loadouts and be successful, I'd be worried about the multiplayer going down the same route (perks being more effective, overpowered combinations, etc).

Did this video ever go up?
I dont feel like Ive seen it.

Nope, not yet. Sorry. I've been trying to find time to sort through it and fix a few quality issues (apparently my camcorder was trying to stabilize the video and got a bit overzealous whenever my spartan was sprinting).

It's not particularly exciting gameplay either - the first two matches I recorded are mostly me slowly going through all the loadout menus and shooting at the ground. It would have been a wealth of new details if I had been able to release it on the first day of PAX. Unfortunately, my laptop died, killing my hopes of a quick release.

The one game I recorded of me actually trying had five HaloGaffers on the opposite team and I got destroyed. That one also had terrible audio because Domino and I were trying to record live commentary as we played - we both got sucked into the game and didn't say much at all.

I think at this point I think I'm just going to cut some highlights together, add commentary with Domino/Tashi, and make a PAX recap for HaloGAF Radio TV. The stuff we recorded while standing in line is pretty amusing.

--------
I'll be much better equipped for New York Comic-Con; a new DSLR and a working laptop should make a big difference.

Revolutionary, maybe. It certainly marked the beginning of COD's ascent to where it is today.

But it still feels just as cheap as any of the other CODs. The only fun COD was WaW.

Actually yes, but sadly marks that every other fps which contains custom abilities or specializations are now "perks" by cod players

Havok

It's multiplayer is awesome too. It had loadouts without overpowered nonsense.
What? The M16 with stopping power was all anybody used because it was so overpowered. One hyperaccurate burst, done.

Hell, Stopping Power alone was a really messed up thing to have in a loadout, and recent sequels are better for it and Juggernaut's removal, despite their other problems.

This is the same game that has Martyrdom and 3 Frags.

nillapuddin

Nope, not yet. Sorry. I've been trying to find time to sort through it and fix a few quality issues (apparently my camcorder was trying to stabilize the video and got a bit overzealous whenever my spartan was sprinting).

It's not particularly exciting gameplay either - the first two matches I recorded are mostly me slowly going through all the loadout menus and shooting at the ground. It would have been a wealth of new details if I had been able to release it on the first day of PAX. Unfortunately, my laptop died, killing my hopes of a quick release.

The one game I recorded of me actually trying had five HaloGaffers on the opposite team and I got destroyed. That one also had terrible audio because Domino and I were trying to record live commentary as we played - we both got sucked into the game and didn't say much at all.

I think at this point I think I'm just going to cut some highlights together, add commentary with Domino/Tashi, and make a PAX recap for HaloGAF Radio TV. The stuff we recorded while standing in line is pretty amusing.

--------
I'll be much better equipped for New York Comic-Con; a new DSLR and a working laptop should make a big difference.

Cool, thanks for lettin me know

I was very excited when you said you spent 5 minutes in the loadout menu lol
Its all good though, its unfortunate you ran into so many hiccups trying to get it out

Sounds like you have a plan though, I look forward to seeing whatever you crop out of it

Good luck editing

Ducain

Story
Halo CE > ODST > Halo 2 > Reach > Halo 3

Gameplay
Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3 > ODST > Reach

Atmosphere
ODST > Halo CE > Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 3

ODST's atmosphere was spectacular. Personally, ODST's campaign was and is still the best campaign in the franchise.

I would agree with that as it relates to the atmosphere. Was a very interesting campaign - enjoyed it. However, the 'fun' that I had in CE just wasn't quite there in ODST. Really cool vibe though.

kylej

Banned
I like it when Halo fans rip on COD for being shallow and a detriment to gaming meanwhile they're excited about the next Halo game which is cribbing whole hog from the COD series...

Don't get me wrong, I like old school FPSes quote a bit. But IMO COD4 does so much right. It has an incredible campaign (which is right behind Halo 3 as my favorite FPS campaign of all time). It's multiplayer is awesome too. It had loadouts without overpowered nonsense.

Which leads to my next point...
Looking at a single player, it had cool moments like the nuke scene, but I can't give it any points for the design of how it plays. The actual playability of the game is so paper thin in the campaign, everything is a linear tube with plenty of AI spawning from invisible clown cars that you need to walk past to stop. I have a hard time reconciling the game being all that great when I feel like I'm on autopilot the whole time squeezing left trigger then right trigger.

The multiplayer side might've had a successful introduction of loadouts and progression, but damn do I wish every other FPS didn't try and copy that.

I suppose I should post my thoughts on the ViDoc. I liked hearing about the development process of the Watchers, Knights, and Crawlers, and the reasoning behind their designs.

What I did not expect was the ViDoc to leave me feeling concerned. While the natural environments are designed spectacularly, I finished the ViDoc feeling that the Forerunner structures are...off. Maybe it's mostly because they're more lively than in previous games and I'm not used seeing them in that manner. Though something about the design of the structures doesn't sit too well with me. I'm not getting that "sharp, angular, cold, metallic" vibe from them.

Hopefully my feelings change when I play the game.

And proper audio equipment.

BigShow36

I like it when Halo fans rip on COD for being shallow and a detriment to gaming meanwhile they're excited about the next Halo game which is cribbing whole hog from the COD series...

And considering Halo has been degrading its gameplay just as much CoD has; the only difference being its not as popular.

We've gathered six Comic-Con attendees into one midtown apartment filled with an array of audio and video recording equipment.

Welcome to The Real HaloGaffers of New York City.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Personally I enjoy both. As far as single player goes though, the Modern Warfare games are Michael Bay popcorn flicks. I like them, but Halo has a much deeper fiction and universe.

Black Ops had a great story though. Liked the Sci-fi elements.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What? The M16 with stopping power was all anybody used because it was so overpowered. One hyperaccurate burst, done.

Hell, Stopping Power alone was a really messed up thing to have in a loadout, and recent sequels are better for it and Juggernaut's removal, despite their other problems.

This is the same game that has Martyrdom and 3 Frags.

Really? Most of my time in its multiplayer was offline and private matches, I must've missed it. In my time online, I saw very varied loadouts.

You just don't give it a rest, do you lol?
I think it has been established that a lot of us are hesitant about Halo 4's multiplayer changes.
But we are willing to give 343 Industries a chance.

COD on the other hand, has a 5 year history of producing unbalanced cluster-fuck games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A little late, and I know I'm going to be hated for this.

CE > 3 > 2 > Reach > ODST
I can't fathom putting ODST last. The only thing I really didn't like about the game were the characters, their inane dialogue, and some of the boring* final levels. Otherwise, it was fantastic.

(*In terms of gameplay. Atmosphere continued to be top notch.)

lilty

Yea pretty sure I'm the only person who didn't really care for ODST. I'm going to replay the games before 4 comes out so maybe I'll like it better second go around.

Gui_PT

You just don't give it a rest, do you lol?
I think it has been established that a lot of us are hesitant about Halo 4's multiplayer changes.
But we are willing to give 343 Industries a chance.

COD on the other hand, has a 5 year history of producing unbalanced cluster-fuck games.

Just stop quoting him

People keep doing that and he gets all the attention he wants

nillapuddin

no halo game makes you use the full sandbox more effectively than ODST

every single weapon in that game has a very useful and unique role

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yea pretty sure I'm the only person who didn't really care for ODST. I'm going to replay the games before 4 comes out so maybe I'll like it better second go around.

Nope, I thought it was pretty mediocre. The gameplay was decent enough I guess, and the atmosphere was the way it needed to be, but overall, I didn't care for it. Absolutely hated the characters.

Vire

Nope, not the only one. Definitely my least favorite out of the bunch.

It does have the best music though.

Pop

What? Come on...

Treyarch is the superior company at making CODs. Since WaW until now, I mean look at what their adding to CoD this year and taking out to make it more balanced. IW likes to add everything to MP, look at MW2/MW3 haha what a joke.

It's been a while since I've played Halo 2, but that is the only game in the series that I remember as having consistently solid dialogue. There are certainly good bits in other games, but Halo 2 never sank as low as the nadirs of 3, ODST, and Reach (though there is varying amounts of good dialogue in them as well).

That said, based on first play-throughs alone, ODST was my favorite experience.

Yeahhhh, the endless bickering between Noble Team got really old. They act more like cranky siblings than genetically advanced super soldiers (sup MasterPwner 117!).

This OT will always be remembered for the Epic MasterPwner117 vs. Franklinaut 1v1. I assume you've already branded yourself with the mark of shame Franklinaut?

DeadNames

Banned
What? Come on...

Treyarch is the superior company at making CODs. Since WaW until now, I mean look at what their adding to CoD this year and taking out to make it more balanced. IW likes to add everything to MP, look at MW2/MW3 haha what a joke.

There's no denying Black Ops is an unbalanced clusterfuck. Sure, it has potential, but the game itself was executed poorly.

Halo |OT10| More talk of CoD than the MW3 OT

Pop

There's no denying Black Ops is an unbalanced clusterfuck. Sure, it has potential, but the game itself was executed poorly.

Halo |OT10| More talk of CoD than the MW3 OT

CoD is like wild childish fun without caring about consequences. I enjoy Treyarchs CoD games and I'm looking forward to RANK playlist in Blops2. I'm looking at you 343i...

Top Bottom