• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I'd prefer it if dubs was in Classic, or both, as that's one of my favourite games to play.

Same, i'd honestly take it in either form as long as it's there I will play the hell out of it, there could be some interesting loadout combinations if you and your partner are on the same page before the match and the way infinity slayer runs.. but I'd enjoy classic very much as well.

Dubs 2012.

Havok

I don't get why most of HaloGAF fails to understand why Heavies is more popular than regular BTB. You all are still trying to attach some modicum of skill to it. When in reality, BTB is a playlist for huge battles and driving tanks.
I'm way late to this, but I figured I'd address the bolded. You can have that and not have it be a total clusterfuck. There was still fun with tanks (y'know, except the Scorpion, cause fuck that thing) and large scale encounters and vehicular craziness in past BTB. People like to hate Reach BTB because of the game's mechanics, but there was definitely still some fun to be had in there.

Thing is, while I love 343 and all, they made some really horrendous changes to Big Team that pretty much ensured that I'd never go back to it. They introduced Heavies, which I have hated ever since its introduction in 3. They bumped up the frequency of BTB Slayer (either by increasing the weighting or simply by introducing a new super popular gametype), which I have never, ever enjoyed, and which is a gametype that fundamentally ignores what is cool about Big Team Battle. Maybe worst of all, they forced a developer map to show up in the first slot, likely to get DLC to show up more often. In a game where developer-made BTB maps are awesome, that'd be great. But here, it's complete dogshit. Nobody bought the DLC, finding 16 people that did is rarer than catching that Lucky Charms douche, and so the only things that actually pop up in that first slot are Boneyard, Spire, and Hemorrhage. It's a real shame, because a lot of the community BTB maps are miles above them in quality. Abridged CTF can be one of the most fun gametypes in the game, and I even grew to enjoy Neutral Bomb Lam Lam, but good luck getting that or any of the other decent maps that Bungie added when it's competing for 1) A crappy on-disc map, 2) Heavies, and 3) A bunch of Slayer gametypes.

That's not to say all the maps Bungie added in were gems, because Renegade still eats shit, but it wasn't as bad when Slayer/Elite Slayer/Heavies wasn't constantly showing up.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Assuming we're not being completely toyed with- I'm interested to see how any ranking/skill value is determined w/ in-game join.

Interested in how BLOPS2 is implementing it for that matter.

The new boosting w/ party chat: Hey, you guys winning? Yeah, come on in.

Talents

Banned
Assuming we're not being completely toyed with- I'm interested to see how any ranking/skill value is determined w/ in-game join.

Interested in how BLOPS2 is implementing it for that matter.

The new boosting w/ party chat: Hey, you guys winning? Yeah, come on in.

FUUUUUUUUUUU I completely forgot about in-game joining!

*Punches wall*

Overdoziz

Banned
You stopped playing BTB long before Heavies was prominent in Reach.
Elzar has dragged me into BTB Heavies games often enough for me to know how horrible it is. It's not much better in Halo 3 either. Snipers and Banshees on Standoff? That's really Halo 3 gone full retard. If you want to play shit like that for the love of God just go into custom games or something.

Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer will totally be 2 separate playlists.

I'm okay with that, depending on which one is on top of the list.
That is an awful idea. They are almost identical. Two playlists for two gametypes that are the same thing is unbelievably stupid in my opinion.
I don't know what playlists we're going to see, or if people are just posting their desired results, but I doubt we'll see a classic playlist for every "modern" playlist.

Let's be honest, there will be one "classic" playlist, maybe two at some point.

Elzar has dragged me into BTB Heavies games often enough for me to know how horrible it is. It's not much better in Halo 3 either. Snipers and Banshees on Standoff? That's really Halo 3 gone full retard. If you want to play shit like that for the love of God just go into custom games or something.

I'm sure any Halo fan can say that about most fringe playlists like SWAT, Snipers, Grifball, MLG, etc.

But thats how the Social players like to play. and they are the Target audience

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm sure any Halo fan can say that about most fringe playlists like SWAT, Snipers, Grifball, MLG, etc.
And that's why Halo needs a custom browser. It has about a billion different kinds of gametypes, maps and communities. A custom game browser in addition to matchmaking makes so much sense.

GhaleonEB

Or just axe Heavies.

Yeah. That's my preferred solution. But it's popular enough that I fear it's going to wreak another BTB experience in Halo 4. The quality of the playlist cratered in Halo 3 when it came out, and did so again with Reach (and Reach's BTB was bad to begin with). If it's in the mix in Halo 4, with their vehicle health system and DMRs and....well, that's why I keep saying I'm looking forward to Campaign a lot. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I fear the worst.

.shin

Banned
IT BEGINS.

375963_509537445723611_1899228288_n.jpg

And that's why Halo needs a custom browser. It has about a billion different kinds of gametypes, maps and communities. A custom game browser in addition to matchmaking makes so much sense.

I don't believe it does. If people don't want to play MLG settings they can just avoid the MLG playlist. The only problem I see comes about when you have mixed playlists where the player only wants one mode. Boom ball in Action Sack springs to mind.

The 2000 people in MLG or Grifball really don't need to have their own custom game settings. They aren't interfering with anything. Would those 2000 players somehow be better off without the MM systems to get their games? I don't believe so.

So, what I hope to see in Halo 4 is a tighter range of modes in each playlist. That's its own mess though.

Edit: ^It began about a week ago when that pic was taken when the press had their hands-on time with the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
completely serious

80% of the games I play in Reach end with the other team having less than half of their original players

I really think the "doom and gloom" of drop in/drop out is pretty funny. "locked in" matches have their place like in highly competitive ranked matches, not in games where players will mostly be solo with MAYBE 1 friend with them. Drop in/drop out is exactly what this game needs, "quitters" are as much a problem as any other major problem with Halo.

Being put in a game on the losing side isn't even that big of a deal IMO, because sometimes you coming in is what sways the battle (this has happened to me many times in other games). And even if you do end up losing, who gives a fuck? Some nerd overly concerned with his W/L ratio, that's who. Not to mention DIDO allows for much quicker matchmaking.

IMO most of Halo should be "social" (with DIDO) and the "hardcore" competitive playlists are the only ones that should be lacking in DIDO.

Those complaining about missing that "competitive" feel aren't getting that anyway in most of their games. What they are typically getting is their full team against a group of random singles, and stomping the shit out of them. That's not fun or competitive.

For DIDO(which I imagine will be in the majority of the playlists)...like, is there an option for you to join a game in the beginning? If you and your friends pick Infinity Donging or whatever, do you have an option to join in the beginning, vote for playlists, talk shit to the opponents(in party chat, to your friends), or is that only in the "ranked" playlists?

In a drop-in drop-out game, does it end and go back to lobby, or does a new map show up with the same gametype?

SO many questions, so little answers

nillapuddin

What they are typically getting is their full team against a group of random singles, and stomping the shit out of them. That's not fun or competitive.

this specifically, I spend more time screwing around with my teammates then actually playing the game these days

Its a rarity if I play 3 truly competitive matches a night with a full lobby

this:
Capture3-1.png

shouldnt happen as often as it does

I emailed Stinkles and got a sneak preview of the playlists this November:

• Basic Training
  • Basic Training Classic
  • Team Training
  • Team Training Classic
  • Infinity Slayer FFA
  • Slayer FFA Classic
  • Mountain Dew Slayer
  • Slayer FFA Classic Pro Hardcore
  • Infinity Rumble Pit
  • Rumble Pit Classic
  • Infinity Team Doubles
  • Team Doubles Classic
  • Infinity Team Slayer
  • Team Slayer Classic
  • Gamestop Team Slayer
  • Amazon Team Slayer
  • EB Games Team Slayer
  • Play.com Team Slayer
  • Walmart/Game/Gamestation Team Slayer
  • Team Slayer NoHardlight
  • Team Slayer NoMob/Dex
  • Team Slayer NoPV
  • Team Slayer Pro
  • Team Slayer Covvies
  • Team Slayer Prom
  • Team Objective
  • Team Objective Classic
  • Team Objective NoPV
  • Team SWAT
  • Team SWAT Classic
  • Team Hardcore
  • Team Hardcore Classic Pro
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Snipers Classic
  • Team Railguns
  • Team Railguns Pro
  • Multi-Team
  • Multi-Team Classic
  • Mercenaries
  • Team Mercenaries
  • Mercenaries BTB
  • Squad Slayer
  • Squad Slayer Classic
  • Big Team Battle
  • Big Team Battle Classic
  • BTB No Scorpions
  • BTB Scorpions Only
  • BTB Heavies
  • BTB Heavies Ultra
  • Oddball
  • Oddball Classic
  • 2 Ball
  • 3 Ball
  • 8 Ball
  • Grifball
  • Grifball Classic
  • Fiesta
  • Fiesta Classic
  • Elite Slayer
  • Elite Slayer Classic
  • Knight Slayer
  • Knight Slayer Classic
  • Elites v Knights
  • Elites v Knights Pro
  • Living Dead
  • Living Dead Classic
  • Action Sack
  • Action Sack Classic
  • Team Melee
  • Team Melee Classic
  • Rocket Race
  • Rocket Hog
  • Rocket Banshee
  • Rocket Chopper
  • Rocket Mammoth
  • Domination
  • Sabotage
  • Headquarters
  • Search and Destroy
  • One in the Chamber
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Capture the Flag

He told me things might get a bit confusing after the fourth or fifth DLC map pack and any accompanying title updates, but assured me that there should be a playlist for everyone.

Literally.

daedalius

I'm way late to this, but I figured I'd address the bolded. You can have that and not have it be a total clusterfuck. There was still fun with tanks (y'know, except the Scorpion, cause fuck that thing) and large scale encounters and vehicular craziness in past BTB. People like to hate Reach BTB because of the game's mechanics, but there was definitely still some fun to be had in there.

Thing is, while I love 343 and all, they made some really horrendous changes to Big Team that pretty much ensured that I'd never go back to it. They introduced Heavies, which I have hated ever since its introduction in 3. They bumped up the frequency of BTB Slayer (either by increasing the weighting or simply by introducing a new super popular gametype), which I have never, ever enjoyed, and which is a gametype that fundamentally ignores what is cool about Big Team Battle. Maybe worst of all, they forced a developer map to show up in the first slot, likely to get DLC to show up more often. In a game where developer-made BTB maps are awesome, that'd be great. But here, it's complete dogshit. Nobody bought the DLC, finding 16 people that did is rarer than catching that Lucky Charms douche, and so the only things that actually pop up in that first slot are Boneyard, Spire, and Hemorrhage. It's a real shame, because a lot of the community BTB maps are miles above them in quality. Abridged CTF can be one of the most fun gametypes in the game, and I even grew to enjoy Neutral Bomb Lam Lam, but good luck getting that or any of the other decent maps that Bungie added when it's competing for 1) A crappy on-disc map, 2) Heavies, and 3) A bunch of Slayer gametypes.

That's not to say all the maps Bungie added in were gems, because Renegade still eats shit, but it wasn't as bad when Slayer/Elite Slayer/Heavies wasn't constantly showing up.

This is pretty much the way I feel as well.

I REALLY hope H4 has quality BTB maps like H2, and focuses more on objectives than Slayer.

Talents

Banned
I emailed Stinkles and got a sneak preview of the playlists this November:

• Basic Training
  • Basic Training Classic
  • Team Training
  • Team Training Classic
  • Infinity Slayer FFA
  • Slayer FFA Classic
  • Mountain Dew Slayer
  • Slayer FFA Classic Pro Hardcore
  • Infinity Rumble Pit
  • Rumble Pit Classic
  • Infinity Team Doubles
  • Team Doubles Classic
  • Infinity Team Slayer
  • Team Slayer Classic
  • Gamestop Team Slayer
  • Amazon Team Slayer
  • EB Games Team Slayer
  • Play.com Team Slayer
  • Walmart/Game/Gamestation Team Slayer
  • Team Slayer NoHardlight
  • Team Slayer NoMob/Dex
  • Team Slayer NoPV
  • Team Slayer Pro
  • Team Slayer Covvies
  • Team Slayer Prom
  • Team Objective
  • Team Objective Classic
  • Team Objective NoPV
  • Team SWAT
  • Team SWAT Classic
  • Team Hardcore
  • Team Hardcore Classic Pro
  • Team Snipers
  • Team Snipers Classic
  • Team Railguns
  • Team Railguns Pro
  • Multi-Team
  • Multi-Team Classic
  • Mercenaries
  • Team Mercenaries
  • Mercenaries BTB
  • Squad Slayer
  • Squad Slayer Classic
  • Big Team Battle
  • Big Team Battle Classic
  • BTB No Scorpions
  • BTB Scorpions Only
  • BTB Heavies
  • BTB Heavies Ultra
  • Oddball
  • Oddball Classic
  • 2 Ball
  • 3 Ball
  • 8 Ball
  • Grifball
  • Grifball Classic
  • Fiesta
  • Fiesta Classic
  • Elite Slayer
  • Elite Slayer Classic
  • Knight Slayer
  • Knight Slayer Classic
  • Elites v Knights
  • Elites v Knights Pro
  • Living Dead
  • Living Dead Classic
  • Action Sack
  • Action Sack Classic
  • Team Melee
  • Team Melee Classic
  • Rocket Race
  • Rocket Hog
  • Rocket Banshee
  • Rocket Chopper
  • Rocket Mammoth
  • Domination
  • Sabotage
  • Headquarters
  • Search and Destroy
  • One in the Chamber
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Capture the Flag

He told me things might get a bit confusing after the fourth or fifth DLC map pack and any accompanying title updates, but assured me that there should be a playlist for everyone.

Literally.

doctor-wut.gif

My suggestion:

Team Training - Shows up like it did in Halo 3 before revealing the playlists to you. Only available option with Guests.

Infinity (DIDO and Personal Ordnance enabled)
  • Team Slayer
  • BTB (Includes Heavies)
  • Flag
  • Rumble Pit

Classic (DIDO and Personal Ordnance disabled)
  • Team Slayer
  • BTB (Does not include Heavies)
  • Doubles
  • Objective

Community (only MLG is available at 4's release, others added in later)
  • MLG
  • Community Cartographers
  • Action Sack / DEXP Slot 1 (Action Sack M-T, Double EXP Weekend Slot 1 Friday - Sunday)
  • Double EXP Weekend Slot 2*** (Only available Friday - Sunday)

DBEXP Weekend Playlists in circulation:
  • Grifball
  • Team SWAT
  • Team Snipers
  • Infection
  • Race
  • Team Triple Doubles (3v3v3v3 like Reach)
  • Various other stupid things like Rocket Hog Race, Splailguns, Team Binaries, and other ridiculous gametypes the community thinks of

Why you mad, though? I'm happy to reserve final judgement on absolutely everything about Halo 4 until I've spent months playing it, but 343's track record with Reach's playlists hasn't earned solemnity.

Here's what I would actually like:

Basic Training (disappears once you reach SR3)

Infinity
  • Free-for-All
  • Team Doubles
  • Team Slayer
  • Team Objective
  • Big Team Battle
  • Capture the Flag

Classic
  • FFA Slayer
  • Team Slayer
  • Big Team Battle
  • Team SWAT

Community
  • Grifball
  • Cartographers
  • MLG
  • [Weekly Double-EXP Playlist: rotation includes, e.g., Living Dead, Team Snipers, Team Oddball, etc.]

Talents

Banned
Why you mad, though? I'm happy to reserve final judgement on absolutely everything about Halo 4 until I've spent months playing it, but 343's track record with Reach's playlists hasn't earned solemnity.

Here's what I would actually like:

Basic Training (disappears once you reach SR3)

Infinity
  • Free-for-All
  • Team Slayer
  • Team Objective
  • Big Team Battle
  • Capture the Flag

Classic
  • FFA Slayer
  • Team Slayer
  • Big Team Battle
  • Team SWAT

Community
  • Grifball
  • Cartographers
  • MLG
  • [Weekly Double-EXP Playlist: rotation includes, e.g., Living Dead, Team Snipers, Team Oddball, etc.]
Why does everyone leave out Team Dubs?

GhaleonEB

Since everyone else is doing it.

Halo 4 has fewer game types than recent Halo games. With the addition of CTF as a stand-alone game type, I'd like to see a playlist for each major game type, then a few others with a mix around specific play styles, and rotating playlists in the mix.

Mixed Game Types

• Big Team Battle (Slayer and CTF)
  • Rumble Pit (Slayer, KotH, Odball)
  • Team Objective

Slayer

• Team Slayer (All systems but personal ordnance)
  • Squad Slayer (5v5 fixed load outs)
  • Team Snipers
  • Infinity Slayer (FFA)
  • Team Doubles

Specific game types

• Team Oddball
  • Capture the Flag
  • Living Dead
  • Regicide (FFA)
  • *new game type playlist*

Weekend Playlists

• Action Sack
  • Grifball
  • SWAT
  • Etc.

I could go a few different directions with some. But that's the general approach I'd welcome.

I wonder how the playlist populations would react if instead of having a single Double EXP Weekend playlist, it gave you like 6+ on the weekends in their individual Double EXP category.

lttp but reach turned 2 yesterday.

Didn't even realize that when I sold it, lol

And 343 didn't even celebrate it. Not a big surprise since Bungie basically told it to go and buy a treat from the gas station while they got the fuck out of there and adopted Destiny.

Since everyone else is doing it.

Halo 4 has fewer game types than recent Halo games. With the addition of CTF as a stand-alone game type, I'd like to see a playlist for each major game type, then a few others with a mix around specific play styles, and rotating playlists in the mix.

Mixed Game Types

• Big Team Battle (Slayer and CTF)
  • Rumble Pit (Slayer, KotH, Odball)
  • Team Objective

Slayer

• Team Slayer (All systems but personal ordnance)
  • Squad Slayer (5v5 fixed load outs)
  • Team Snipers
  • Infinity Slayer (FFA)
  • Team Doubles

Specific game types

• Team Oddball
  • Capture the Flag
  • Living Dead
  • Regicide (FFA)
  • *new game type playlist*

Weekend Playlists

• Action Sack
  • Grifball
  • SWAT
  • Etc.

I could go a few different directions with some. But that's the general approach I'd welcome.

3 FFA playlists?
And you're missing Team Slayer with Infinity, which will be the most popular thing in the game, which hopefully won't be in a separate playlist (fragmentation yay!).

Trey

I don't think BTB should be in classic at all. It's already a game of chaos and shenanigans - there's really nothing being preserved in the classic version while at the same time splitting the population of a niche playtype that needs a healthy playerbase. Basically, a lot to give up for a poor return.

Karl2177

Yeah. That's my preferred solution. But it's popular enough that I fear it's going to wreak another BTB experience in Halo 4. The quality of the playlist cratered in Halo 3 when it came out, and did so again with Reach (and Reach's BTB was bad to begin with). If it's in the mix in Halo 4, with their vehicle health system and DMRs and....well, that's why I keep saying I'm looking forward to Campaign a lot. I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I fear the worst.
Is it popular for the right reasons though? Why have people been advocating Banshee removal? Because it's overpowered, and people use it to boost K/D. Most of the time Heavies is only played to drastically increase K/D. As much as I dislike Grifball and Zombies they are popular for reasons other than boosting.

Top Bottom