• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

who the fuck is adam watson

Go ahead and look him up
at work for bonus points

Can we come up with a term that delineates DMR headshotting or competitive slayer technique from the english language dictionary word word skill? Because everything requires skill. Literally. The idea that it takes 'no skill' to operate a vehicle, or throw a grenade, or climb a structure is faulty. And it grinds my gears.

In fact I think the word technique gets ignored too often in competitive semantics. It is the foundation of skill.

Fluffernutting.

"Dude, you don't even have to fluffernut in BTB."

"Campaign on Normal? Please, I don't remember the last time I fluffernutted in there."

"Slayer/Objective/trending Halo gameplay element/etc is such bullshit! They're completely taking fluffernutting out of Halo."

Gui_PT

On the topic of exploration, I hope soft kill boundaries aren't in campaign. I liked having pretty much the whole map to explore. When I saw something cool in Reach's campaign and walked towards it, I had to return to the battlefield. I don't really mind it in MP, but campaign shouldn't have it.

And I also hope that it's not just a hallway shootout with seemingly endless enemies and with invisible walls everywhere a la Black Ops.

I highly doubt we'll be getting that based on the recent vidoc

Karl2177

I am not saying that Sword Base and Uncaged are better, worse, indifferent. But I would point out that the bolded is actually at odds with 'democracy' and that voting clearly shows a majority of people do in fact like these maps a lot. Map tastes can be subjective, but I think the objective criticism is repetition. Because these maps are voted up so frequently, hardcore players start to at least vocally resent/hate/criticize them - and I mean that as a separate phenomenon from problem areas or specific criticisms like lift room heat map and so on. This of course is true of ALL shooters, as Nuketown etc demonstrate - often with even more frequency than anything in Reach.
Even as you point out, it's because they are easily exploited. I don't even need to be near lift room to toss a nade in there, wiping out a player's shields and most of their health. And red team gets a massive advantage on Sword Base. If it were removed, people would be whining because they have one less option to be a douchebag, not because it was a fair map. There's a point where you are going to have to sacrifice some bad members to get a balanced result(and yet 343 has cut Squad Slayer, Limited, FF Doubles which were some of the more fair playlists).

That's what StarCraft 2 does. Much easier to pull off there and not Halo because of all the different gametype. In StarCraft 2 theres a map pool and you pick 3 maps you don't like. I've yet to play on a map I don't like. Again, it would be more difficult to pull of in Halo.
I've played on Shakuras a few times even though I had it voted(I haven't played in over a month so I don't know what is in there now).

An issue with harder preference options is you just end up with virtual playlists that exist inside other playlists. Much like if you had a hard option in Reach to only play DLC, you'd essentially be making 6 clones of each list - normal, DLC Noble, DLC Defiant, DLC Anniversary, DLC Noble + Defiant , DLC Noble + Anni, DLC Defiant + Anni. Instead of having 20 playlists you'd have, functionally, 120. Search times would go down the toilet.

You could have softer options that influence weights and not completely kill search times.

And that is the sacrifice that needs to be made for those wishing to fine tune their experience. It isn't just magically going to happen unless you specifically say this playlist is the Mythic Map Pack or whatever.

If I had the option, I would play a nice mix of Slayer/Flag/Ball on the maps that were actually deigned around those objectives and slayer on most symmetric maps (and a few asymm). If I had the option even further, I would force static spawns on symmetric maps so I wouldn't get the Bungie Experience™ Narrows.

GhaleonEB

Not that I completely disagree, but the problem with Reach is that is has enough playlists as it is, they need to go about reducing playlists not adding new ones.

Less is more!

That is why I wrote, "It probably shouldn't happen." I even used italics for emphasis and everything.

I don't want playlist fragmentation. And I want to play and love BTB. But I really don't want to play Heavies. Those were the opposing sentiments I was trying to express.

FyreWulff

And that is the sacrifice that needs to be made for those wishing to fine tune their experience. It isn't just magically going to happen unless you specifically say this playlist is the Mythic Map Pack or whatever.

If I had the option, I would play a nice mix of Slayer/Flag/Ball on the maps that were actually deigned around those objectives and slayer on most symmetric maps (and a few asymm). If I had the option even further, I would force static spawns on symmetric maps so I wouldn't get the Bungie Experience™ Narrows.

Well with the gating they're using on 4, DLC will probably be more prevalent. It would help if DLC would ever drop in price, though. All of Reach's DLC is still full price. Buying all the DLC costs more than buying the game itself new. That's redonkulus.

Who said a) that there is no vehicles on board of FUD? b) the E3 mission was the fourth one? Wasn't it only mentioned the mission is from the 1/3 of the game?

a) Well it was split in half and at the end of Halo 3 I thought all the vehicles fell out, lol.
b) Achievements.
Dawn - Complete Mission 1 on any difficulty | Requiem - Complete Mission 2 on any difficulty. | Forerunner - Complete Mission 3 on any difficulty. | Infinity - Complete Mission 4 on any difficulty.

a) Well it was split in half and at the end of Halo 3 I thought all the vehicles fell out, lol.
b) Achievements.
Dawn - Complete Mission 1 on any difficulty | Requiem - Complete Mission 2 on any difficulty. | Forerunner - Complete Mission 3 on any difficulty. | Infinity - Complete Mission 4 on any difficulty.

There could be vehicles on Requiem prior to the Infinity landing. More than likely hitting covenant prior to the Infinity landing.

DeadNames

Banned
There could be vehicles on Requiem prior to the Infinity landing. More than likely hitting covenant prior to the Infinity landing.

I think we've seen the only new vehicles. I remember someone saying that we were only getting two new vehicles. And we have seen the mammoth and the cyclops.

And only ever in the singular - "ein Schottischer" - I also leanred most of my German from Hans Schaudi und Lieselotte Meyer.

http://avenuesandalleyways.blogspot.com/2009/01/uli-uli-wie-spat-ist-es.html
At least you can order a schnitzel in Germany when you're visiting Hamburg.

b) Achievements.
I forgot the achievements. My own stupidity.

Akai__

And only ever in the singular - "ein Schottischer" - I also leanred most of my German from Hans Schaudi und Lieselotte Meyer.

http://avenuesandalleyways.blogspot.com/2009/01/uli-uli-wie-spat-ist-es.html

If you say something like "a scottish warrior" you would say in german "ein schottischer Krieger".

Sleeping dogs has really good water.

I'm expecting H3 levels of water in 4, or else!

It was a really great game, but the main story was a bit sad and short IMO. And yeah the water was really good. I'd love to see more missions on water in the future DLC.
And maybe a weapon-shop, but not needed that much.

I'd be pretty disappointing if the prometheans won't appear until the 4th mission. You'd be fighting old foes (Covenant and maybe sentinels) for almost half the game.

TCKaos

I can't believe that in 2012 we still have to choose between a select few playlists filled with content that one person in Seattle has deemed "correct".

Hey, I applied for that job!

And from my understanding it's a committee of several very knowledgeable people whose job it is to browse forums such as NeoGAF looking for community input.

We are merely the top of the extremely large pyramid. Honestly, we're lucky that we've gotten as much as we have.

I think we've seen the only new vehicles. I remember someone saying that we were only getting two new vehicles. And we have seen the mammoth and the cyclops.

Definitely a good chance covie vehicles are being taken into account. When you see the covies in the E3 demo it is obviously not the first time you run into them.

Mmmm... dat frame data. As for me I'm liking the LR as well... as a camo player I'm either extremely close or at long range so LR for me w/ Boltshot (BS) as secondary for the mauler blast. :) I'm embracing my inner forerunner, with plasma grenades to boot.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lightrifle is gonna be a death machine on BTB maps. And if Valhalla is the remake, oh lord is that weapon going to break the shit out of it along with the DMR.

GhaleonEB

Oh come on, you were still entertaining the idea.

It's frustrating when I write words and people then say, c'mon. You don't mean the words you wrote. Well, yes I did. There's some nuance here. I don't want playlist fragmentation. I also don't want to play Heavies. I can't pick between them - it's one or the other. Do you understand these words?

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
You're talking about a game that doesn't allow you to play classic CTF, doesn't allow you to change any part of your HUD, and provides you with 5 fixed control schemes. That ain't happening. Remember, as long as you let people change the camo on their gun, that's enough of an illusion of player choice that the masses won't complain.

And in regards to my playlist statement, before someone says "lol custom browser u r dumb other games have it and it sucks", I remember when Halo was a franchise that was a trailblazer. It solved problems nobody else could or introduced systems that influenced an industry.

Imagining a browser-based playlist- I think skill (invisible or otherwise) would really fall apart- problems mentioned the last couple pages like people picking maps they could exploit really becomes a problem then.

8 years ago we got a ranking system to pair people up in skill online, now Blops 2 is launching with a full-scale Starcraft-esque ranking system to encourage competitive play, while Halo fans are hoping there's any type of ranking system at all.

Sounds very similar to the current Arena settings. I'm sure people have plenty of reasons to not play it, but it always gets me going. I feel like people's complaints about a ranking system lessen in value when they whine about the Arena, then go play TS or whatever non-MLG slayer.

When did we go from the series that brought FPS games to consoles and then brought them online with its sequel, to hoping the next game has control schemes from previous releases?

I don't know of one technology that has been capable of quantum leap after quantum leap indefinitely. I don't think I'm settling for anything here either, just being realistic.

senador

Banned
It's frustrating when I write words and people then say, c'mon. You don't mean the words you wrote. Well, yes I did. There's some nuance here. I don't want playlist fragmentation. I also don't want to play Heavies. I can't pick between them - it's one or the other. Do you understand these words?

Oh c'mon, Reggie doesn't do words. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lightrifle will be the go to gun at MLG Dallas.

I think it's gonna be the go to gun period. That and the DMR. With the BR you have to land 15 bullets to get that kill in 1.6 seconds. With the DMR you just need to land 5 shots period.

I see absolutely no reason to use the BR unless you're going to rely on swipe headshots with the spread.

Depends on the kind of player you are. I'm more of a twitchy shot so I'd benefit from using the BR compared to the others.

Uh, yeah, that's what I said.

lilty

I think it's gonna be the go to gun period. That and the DMR. With the BR you have to land 15 bullets to get that kill in 1.6 seconds. With the DMR you just need to land 5 shots period.

I see absolutely no reason to use the BR unless you're going to rely on swipe headshots with the spread.

Depends on the kind of player you are. I'm more of a twitchy shot so I'd benefit from using the BR compared to the others.

Karl2177

Or just axe Heavies.

Talents

Banned

Uh, yeah, that's what I said.

I'm going to be using the BR, never going to touch the DMR/LR unless I have to, and I don't do 'swipe headshots'.

Wonder what that french halo site has to say in reply to franks comment? Several people posted links to HaloGAF in that thread and made me lol

CyReN

It felt ok but I sincerely enjoyed the firepower upgrade to have a dedicated 3 shot gun and my secondary as the single shot. Just my preference, though.

G7Rxg.gif

Talents

Banned
What you "will" use doesn't mean it's better. I don't think you're quite understanding the gist of the post.

I thought your post was basically saying "If you want to do well and not get owned all the time, you have to use the LR and maybe the DMR, but not the BR".

Top Bottom