• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

nillapuddin

proteink.jpg

51 Days :)

Team Training - Shows up like it did in Halo 3 before revealing the playlists to you. Only available option with Guests.
Christ, are people that have friends in real life not allowed to have fun too? D:

I'm joking, but... really, I'm tempted to say that Halo is never more fun than when you're annihilating Team Objective on 4 player splitscreen. I know it's annoying when you play five games in a row with nothing but scrubs and their guests for team-mates, but the solution is good matchmaking -- I'm dismayed to see that so many people would actually think it's wise to effectively remove guests from matchmaking. Boo. That would be disastrous, for me and for Halo 4.

Ranked and Social playlists. Social playlists allow guests. Problem solved
That is basically the best solution. The only problem is that if we aren't going to get ranked playlists... it doesn't really work.

Blissful

Neo Member
Christ, are people that have friends in real life not allowed to have fun too? D:

I'm joking, but... really, I'm tempted to say that Halo is never more fun than when you're annihilating Team Objective on 4 player splitscreen. I know it's annoying when you play five games in a row with nothing but scrubs and their guests for team-mates, but the solution is good matchmaking -- I'm dismayed to see that so many people would actually think it's wise to effectively remove guests from matchmaking. Boo. That would be disastrous, for me and for Halo 4.

Ranked and Social playlists. Social playlists allow guests. Problem solved

wwm0nkey

Nice, I've never had a no-slow controller, are they actually as good and useful as everyone says?

They are pretty nice, easy to make yourself too, it just makes sure that all parts of the analog stick are moving at 100% so it doesn't mess up your aiming.

Woorloog

Banned

Yeah, playing Halo on splitscreen with a friend is what make Halo Halo, at least for me. Limiting what i can play with my friend would effectively kill the game for me.
Ranked/Social split is good solution, as long as not all playlists are replicated, needlessy.

Only one playlists with guests would be horrible, especially if it is a mix of Slayer and Objective. At very least there needs to be a Slayer and Objective list allowing guests, no mixing them.

Woorloog

Banned
Another simple thing to "solve" the guest "problem" would be to give players checkbox, by default you accept MM to match you with guests, you can disable that but it will still match you with guests if no other results are possible.
Most people probably would leave it on, i know i would because there's equal chance the enemy team has guests... easy kills for me.

EDIT one thing i wonder, with the unlock system, how are guest "unlocks" done? The same system as in Black Ops, ie the guest starts with the hosts unlocks and then continues ranking up from that point? Or something else?

Here's what i think.

Infinity
  • Rumble pit (slayer, Krazy king, Regicide, Juggernaut, oddball)
  • Slayer (5 v 5)
  • BTB (8 v 8 slayer, 2 flag/ 1 flag, bomb, territories/conquest. no fucking heavies for the love of god)
  • Squad Battle (6 v 6 slayer, territories/conquest) (bro spawning?)
  • Multi Team (2v2v2v2 Slayer, Multi-Flag, Mongoose rocket race, Krazy King, oddball)
  • Capture the Flag (5 v 5?)

im speculating conquest is that gametype from those leaked screenshots. the one with A, B, and C.

Classic
  • Team Skirmish (4 v 4 slayer, 2 flag, KOTH, oddball)
  • Doubles (slayer)
  • Team SWAT
  • Snipers

Community
  • Cartographers
  • MLG/hardcore
  • Double Exp (Living dead, griffball, fiesta, etc.)

EDIT:

Another simple thing to "solve" the guest "problem" would be to give players checkbox, by default you accept MM to match you with guests, you can disable that but it will still match you with guests if no other results are possible.
Most people probably would leave it on, i know i would because there's equal chance the enemy team has guests... easy kills for me.

EDIT one thing i wonder, with the unlock system, how are guest "unlocks" done? The same system as in Black Ops, ie the guest starts with the hosts unlocks and then continues ranking up from that point? Or something else?

actually like this. i'd leave it on too. i don't really see any problems with guests, but i know others do.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
SWAT and Snipers shouldn't get their own playlist. They should be in a grab bag playlist with other non official gametypes.

senador

Banned
Make Team Training have Slayer and Objective gametypes, restrict guests to that, done

Something like this is a must for Halo 4. How often do people get together to play with guests anyway? I only do it once or twice a year, but that could be due to my age. Still, guests totally ruin my experience everytime. I don't want to play with them unless I too have some in which case I should be limited to a playlist two.

Havok

SWAT and Snipers shouldn't get their own playlist. They should be in a grab bag playlist with other non official gametypes.
I dunno about that. They're incredibly popular. Whatever playlist they get put into will be dominated by them. At that point you've basically made a SWAT/Snipers/Stuff Nobody Will Ever Vote Hard Enough to Play list.

You might be able to get away with a Team Tactical playlist consisting of just those two, but anything else will get eclipsed by them.

Also, folks listing wishlists that include two Big Team playlists: Just know that one of them will be dead in a month if you do that. Halo has never been able to viably support two of them.

Wasnt it called 3 plots in halo reach?
Yes, and in Halo 2 as well. Fantastic gametype when it's on a map that suits it.

Guests are a finicky subject, considering their popularity. This is fairly late in the generation though, so I feel minimising what they can be used in is fairer than it would have been previously.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I dunno about that. They're incredibly popular. Whatever playlist they get put into will be dominated by them. At that point you've basically made a SWAT/Snipers/Stuff Nobody Will Ever Vote Hard Enough to Play list.

You might be able to get away with a Team Tactical playlist consisting of just those two, but anything else will get eclipsed by them.

Also, folks listing wishlists that include two Big Team playlists: Just know that one of them will be dead in a month if you do that. Halo has never been able to viably support two of them.

Yes, and in Halo 2 as well. Fantastic gametype when it's on a map that suits it.

Isn't SWAT always one of the most populous playlists?

I know, it's sad :(

GhaleonEB

3 FFA playlists?
And you're missing Team Slayer with Infinity, which will be the most popular thing in the game, which hopefully won't be in a separate playlist (fragmentation yay!).

Yeah I debated on that one. 3 FFA is too many, to be sure. And Infinity/non-Infinity adds playlists. Arg.

Louis Wu

Without question. And it's arguable that at least on some Halo games, Sniping requires mastery of a more difficult skill than DMR - and then you look at team games - where coordination and communication become a layer on top of that, which isn't precisely skill, but feeds into the individuals performance and is certainly a factor of their skill. Again my point has nothing to do with some spectrum of superiority, and everything to do with semantics and cliques of game styles.
Way late to the party, but I wanted to comment on this - I was just thinking about it a couple of days ago. I'm a mediocre sniper, at best - Reach is the first game where the sniper rifle is more useful to me as a gun than a club. If I'm playing alone, and I pick up a sniper, I can kill a few people... but if I'm playing with a team, and folks are actually calling out targets for me, my kill rate goes WAY up. Same gun, same lousy shooter... much better results.

guests are fun to poop on
Yeah, but think about how annoyed you get when they're on YOUR team.

Three Plots shined so hard on it. Among my favorite map/game type pairings ever.

Any particular map/gametype combos particularly shine in Halo 4?
If the Scorpion tank or the Gauss hog were removed on Exile, I'd say CTF on Exile is a good map/game type combination.*

*Pretty early assumption. Still need to play more before confirming that.

Overdoziz

Banned
If the Scorpion tank or the Gauss hog were removed on Exile, I'd say CTF on Exile is a good map/game type combination.
Is it me or was the layout and flag location of each team look like this:
FsTAJ.png

The flag locations seemed a bit strange and most of the action took place on the left side of the map because both flags were on that side. Maybe I've got it all wrong but it looked like that from the videos I've seen.

http://i.imgur.com/FsTAJ.png[img]

The flag locations seemed a bit strange and most of the action took place on the left side of the map because both flags were on that side. Maybe I've got it all wrong but it looked like that from the videos I've seen.[/QUOTE]
The most action I noticed had been in the middle part.

http://i.imgur.com/FsTAJ.png[img]

The flag locations seemed a bit strange and most of the action took place on the left side of the map because both flags were on that side. Maybe I've got it all wrong but it looked like that from the videos I've seen.[/QUOTE]
I think they're a bit more centered, but they definitely seem to be on one side more than the other. Seems like all the fighting happened on that one side, too

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'd like to see the next iteration of Longest/Elongation. Those are two great maps no one ever talks about. AA's would make it a VERY interesting map.

Top Bottom