• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

RIP, BB.

It's been a day over two years since Reach was released, and Bungie decided to honor a long-time Halo fan by giving his name to Marine in the game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dayum, that was fast, good on the mods.

Edit: For the new page, for those 50ppp peoples.

I love when devs do this sort of thing. Didn't Bungie make a HaloGAF guy who died overseas (in the military) one of the soldiers in Reach?

I thought I remember something about that.

Edit2: looks like Dax inadvertently answered that question, lol.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So I guess he wasn't just posting some copypasta when he said this.

Dayum, that was fast, good on the mods.

Edit: For the new page, for those 50ppp peoples.

I love when devs do this sort of thing. Didn't Bungie make a HaloGAF guy who died overseas (in the military) one of the soldiers in Reach?

I thought I remember something about that.
I have no idea if that happened, but that's awesome if they did.

I love devs who do stuff like this for their fans. Making themselves know as more than just names on the credits screen.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I guess he wasn't just posting some copypasta when he said this.

I have no idea if that happened, but that's awesome if they did.

I love devs who do stuff like this for their fans. Making themselves know as more than just names on the credits screen.

Yeah, Dax pretty much confirmed it 2 posts up after I mentioned it. I thought I remembered that around launch.

when I die I want you to use my name as the subtitle of the next game.

Halo: Jelly Evolved, K?

Has a nice ring to it.

Heard that someone posted a link to the H4 Soundtrack Previews on here, so I thought I'd link the playlist I made on YouTube with all fifteen previews.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR9cWI6CW3fTf67f4M_Hg3comLxaxoaN-

tumblr_m3ftd4OhwW1qa6lp8.gif

od21K.png

Mecha-Angel-kylej as a final boss in Halo 69: Revenge of Mecha-Angel-kylej?

Beating you unlocks the ability to lock your framerate at 60FPS and lets you play super special kinect minigames with Cortana of the sexual kind.

Be sure to plug in your life-size bust of Cortana's ass made by tempur pedic to continue to the endgame, kids!

Vire

I don't doubt that, there's just some things that I'd rather experience in the game first and as a complete experience instead of all separate pieces.

You probably have heard most of it anyway. It's littered all throughout the behind the scenes and wrap up videos.

Seeing it in context is a totally different experience.

Trey

Heard that someone posted a link to the H4 Soundtrack Previews on here, so I thought I'd link the playlist I made on YouTube with all fifteen previews.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR9cWI6CW3fTf67f4M_Hg3comLxaxoaN-

Thanks for this. Gonna get my fill before the copyright goons come around.

RIP, BB.

It's been a day over two years since Reach was released, and Bungie decided to honor a long-time Halo fan by giving his name to Marine in the game.

Never heard of this. Pretty classy.

Lol, was he bragging about his post here or something? What a stupid thing to say.

His follow up post after the one he linked is beyond tasteless.

Naw.

I don't doubt that, there's just some things that I'd rather experience in the game first and as a complete experience instead of all separate pieces.

I can respect that.

Woorloog

Banned
Listening to the previews... There are some similarities to some Two Steps From Hell songs in some tracks.
I do like Awakening and some others we've heard but the rest... i need to hear them in their in-game context to judge them.
I think the soundtrack is in good hands though, like the new more electronic style, i feel i it is fitting considering the new enemy.
I remember Halo 2 having more synthetic music when going through the containment wall as the Arbiter, suitable for the Sentinels. And Halo CE had some synthetic music in certain Forerunner installations.
(And slightly related, in Halo 3 in Crow's Nest the music was very human, militaristic in the barracks section).

Still have a few more to go through, but...

Nemesis and Revival (DJ Skee & THX Remix Sample Edit) use the same choral riffs, which leads me to believe they (Revival's base track included) share some melodies. If that's the case, I have a feeling both may involve the Didact. I have to be honest when I say I could really see Didact as more of an ally or even a rival than an outright evil enemy though.

EDIT: Solace is giving me chills, reminds me of some of the oriental pieces in the Halo Legends OST. The chromatic percussion alone beats anything similar Marty's done out of the water. I really want to know the context, though, sounds absolutely horrifying if it was used in the proper scene.

EDIT 2: Gooooood fucking lord, Immaterial better be the background music for when we fight Promethean Chozo Ghosts using the Binary Rifle.

EDIT 3: Oh hey, 117 is Davidge channeling the good parts of Mike Jablonsky. It's the trailer music for the Movie Theater Trailer by the way. Sounds wonderful.

Woorloog

Banned
Wow I swear I was thinking the exact same thing. Love that shit.

Agreed TSFH is freaking amazing. Heart of Courage and Freedom Fighters. #swoon

TSFH has good stuff but i hear it way too much. So i'm not sure i like Halo 4 music ressembles that. Assuming there isn't too much similarity... Well, it is unlikely i'll notice that while playing.

I hate it how BioWare is always using TSFH tracks in their trailers. That ME3 CGI trailer, it was ruined for me the moment i realised it had "After the Fall" as its music. That is, from the first second.
Maybe i should delete the TSFH tracks from my Youtube playlist... Replace them with something else. Epic music doesn't really work when listened casually anyway.

EDIT maybe the Master Chief is the ancient evil in Halo 4. Maybe the year is 2557 after the Battle of the Ark, not 2557 CE. EDIT just random thoughts, caused by tiredness. Always getting the strangest ideas when tired. Sleep now...

Trey

These previews were dope and all but they didn't expound on the greatness the first batch of snippets promised. At this point, I suppose I can settle for nothing less than the full soundtrack.

GhaleonEB

I appreciate you posting this, since it let us all know why you were banned. I'd be shocked if it wasn't a perma, well earned.

RIP, BB.

This was the first thing I thought of as well. It was very classy of Bungie, and Gearbox, to do.

Fuchsdh

TSFH has good stuff but i hear it way too much. So i'm not sure i like Halo 4 music ressembles that. Assuming there isn't too much similarity... Well, it is unlikely i'll notice that while playing.

I hate it how BioWare is always using TSFH tracks in their trailers. That ME3 CGI trailer, it was ruined for me the moment i realised it had "After the Fall" as its music. That is, from the first second.
Maybe i should delete the TSFH tracks from my Youtube playlist... Replace them with something else. Epic music doesn't really work when listened casually anyway.

EDIT maybe the Master Chief is the ancient evil in Halo 4. Maybe the year is 2557 after the Battle of the Ark, not 2557 CE. EDIT just random thoughts, caused by tiredness. Always getting the strangest ideas when tired. Sleep now...

When I listen to TSFH, I'm struck by the generic nature of a lot of it. And that's definitely intended, so its more marketable, but the moments in those tracks that get me really excited or interested are pretty few and far between, and when I hear them they kind of make me sad--someone created that and now it's going to get chewed up into irrelevance by lazy trailor editors.

Woorloog

Banned
When I listen to TSFH, I'm struck by the generic nature of a lot of it. And that's definitely intended, so its more marketable, but the moments in those tracks that get me really excited or interested are pretty few and far between, and when I hear them they kind of make me sad--someone created that and now it's going to get chewed up into irrelevance by lazy trailor editors.

I'm not sure how many tracks TSFH has made but i like maybe 5 of them. The rest just don't do anything for me.
I just found it odd how some Halo 4 tracks seem to have something similar to TSFH style.

Fuchsdh

I'm not sure how many tracks TSFH has made but i like maybe 5 of them. The rest just don't do anything for me.
I just found it odd how some Halo 4 tracks seem to have something similar to TSFH style.

I bought their commercial release. It's certainly worth listening to and there's some good tracks.

I definitely see how you can relate them to TSFH, and I think that's a consequence of Davidge's more electric composition style. O'Donnell had a lot of range, and I don't think we're going to get that in Halo 4, unfortunately. At the very least the OST isn't an instant buy like previous work.

I bought their commercial release. It's certainly worth listening to and there's some good tracks.

I definitely see how you can relate them to TSFH, and I think that's a consequence of Davidge's more electric composition style. O'Donnell had a lot of range, and I don't think we're going to get that in Halo 4, unfortunately. At the very least the OST isn't an instant buy like previous work.

Upon hearing "117" and "Solace" all I could think was "Instant buy".

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cancer fucking sucks, if your 22 or 72.

Respect to Gearbox for what they did. This entire industry is pretty good with these kind of things for fans.

TO HEAR 1:30 SECOND SONGS GO TO YOUR ITUNES THAN ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF SCREEN THERE IS A CIRCLE WITH AN AMERICAN FLAG. CLICK ON IT AND CHANGE IT TO UK

You are welcome America

Awesome, thanks!

Ok so here it comes- Im not really feeling the soundtrack. Of course, these are small samples and I may happily have the opposite reaction when I hear the whole thing.. thats not to say that I don't like some of it a lot, just some of it feels predictable.

Wow, really? Way to be an asshole.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My problem with the OST thus far is the apparent lack of a distinct, iconic theme. Never mind the total absence of Halo's iconic monk chant.

I know they wanted to go something unique and their own, but it might just be a case of tossing the baby with the bath water.

You don't simply throw away a decade's worth of audio identity just for the sake of it.

As good as the music is, not a single track makes me think of Halo.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My problem with the OST thus far is the apparent lack of a distinct, iconic theme. Never mind the total absence of Halo's iconic monk chant.

I know they wanted to go something unique and their own, but it might just be a case of tossing the baby with the bath water.

You don't simply throw away a decade's worth of audio identity just for the sake of it.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. While the music is awesome, it doesn't remind me of Halo, really.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

like a lot of halo 4, i think thats the intent. they are trying to distinguish both themselves and their vision of halo from bungies and set the tone for a new trilogy. hopefully after playing, we'll have a new "sound" to characterize 343's trilogy with halo 4 themes that are built upon.

i'm all for it.

Still have a few more to go through, but...

Nemesis and Revival (DJ Skee & THX Remix Sample Edit) use the same choral riffs, which leads me to believe they (Revival's base track included) share some melodies. If that's the case, I have a feeling both may involve the Didact. I have to be honest when I say I could really see Didact as more of an ally or even a rival than an outright evil enemy though.

I refuse to believe that the Didact is the ancient evil, but I don't think he is an ally either. The script section that describes the Didact fighting MC and Cortana, specifically the line "Compassion for mankind is misplaced", leads me to believe that MC & Cortana are actually trying to wake the Didact because they need his help, although we can clearly see he is reluctant because he is still angry about what happened the past.

It can clearly be heard in the "A Hero Awakens" vid.

Leitmotif scoring isn't always necessary to accomplish a fitting musical soundscape, in my opinion. We'll have to wait and see.

Well they brought back those awesome tribal monk chants even if they aren't word-for-word so to speak. We hadn't had those since Halo CE, the tribal ones took a back seat to the gregorian chants of single syllables. Not that it's a bad thing by any means but I love that they're getting some more fleshing out here. I can already hear a few recurring themes:

• The "tse la de ee ma le no" is a 7-note riff that can be heard in Revival (DJ Skee & THX Remix Sample Edit), Nemesis and Revival, all with variations (including a string piece that uses the exact same notes in Revival). I think this is absolutely the ancient evil's theme, who's more than likely Didact's theme.
  • To Galaxy is basically cockteasing every recurring Halo theme in the series in a single track, even though one or two might take some effort to pick out.
  • Awakening has a five-note riff (the baaa-naaa, naaaa-naaaaa-naaaaaa done by the pianos in the original Sample Edit) that is prevalent throughout the entire track, sometimes shortened to four notes.

These are just a few and some recurring motifs are already very present; a major difference here is that Davidge is letting the instrumentation become iconic and allowing the melodies to complement it rather than the other way around, which is what may be confusing to some people at first. It doesn't help that Halo CE had maybe five themes or so:

Main Theme
Title (space monks)
The Flood (pretty much every horror piece, way more noticeable in CEA's soundtrack)
Brothers in Arms
Ambience Suite (Prevalent in a lot of the more technological pieces like Alien Corridors)

And about 85% of the remaining tracks were mixed in some way from them. Even The Library uses the main theme in its synth bells, just really really slowed down. I think as people play Halo 4 to the soundtrack rather than having to base it by itself it'll all click a lot more easily--maybe even moreso than Marty's scores.

Top Bottom