• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Anybody have any idea what this image is? (from the latest B.net mailsack)

itallbeginswithyou.jpg

It's Bungie just messing with the fans. Those are clearly indicative of the 7 pillars of the community.

There's no secrets, I'm just sitting here doing a reaction paper bored out of my mind.

I can explain to you the effect of race on information processing in jurors both in context of defense (alibi) and prosecution (strength of case) though!

So ready for December.

hey, speaking of which i need to get back to work on my research paper... on the presidential election -_-

save me! Borderlands 2, you're my only hope.

Omni

I'm really liking that "117" soundtrack sample. Maybe all is not lost with the OST, IMO.

Actually... maybe not. After listening to a few of Marty's tracks, I'm really not feeling it at the moment. Maybe things will change when I hear it in-game... But so far nothing compares. (and I totally forgot how awesome "Lone Wolf" from the Reach OST is. Dat build up)

Oh goodie, 10 seconds of new footage interspersed over the course of a half hour worth of commercials.

Correction: 1 minute of new footage at the very end of the event, 59 minutes of ads or redundant live-action coverage. Said new footage spoils the ending though.

blamite

Has Halo 4 gone gold yet?

I think it should have. Frankie said at RTX (on the Rooster Teeth Podcast panel I think?) That they were 8 weeks from gold. That was July 7th. So it should have happened about a week ago.

If it did I'm surprised 343 hasn't made a bigger deal about it yet.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's Bungie just messing with the fans. Those are clearly indicative of the 7 pillars of the community.

Why is everything around the septagon low on the alphanumeric side with starting letter? 4, C, A, B, G, A, B

Why is general have the emphasis of the note G?

GhaleonEB

Yes, that is an odd decision to think about without playing it. I don't care about not keeping the previous Halo theme, but not creating a new one is kind of odd. Not having a theme often times makes for generic music. I don't know if that's the case, but I hope its not. Mostly, when I am playing it I just want it to feel like when I was playing previous Halo games. I hope the music can do that.

I think it should have. Frankie said at RTX (on the Rooster Teeth Podcast panel I think?) That they were 8 weeks from gold. That was July 7th. So it should have happened about a week ago.

I think that was the timeframe for them shipping to cert. Should hear when they go gold very shortly.

Edit: or not, I was going from memory. :lol

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

Are you sure he said 8 weeks from gold? We're right on schedule.

Moa

I shot a guy in the face with the sniper and he died. I then proceeded to start walking and was killed by a bullet from him a full 2-3 seconds later.

Had that happen so many times in the past few weeks, mainly during early morning games, sucks :/

Hopefully Halo 4 doesn't have a huge gap for that kind of stuff, it made the Bulltrue medal mean nothing in Reach.

Actually the more I listen to 117 I can see that being the New Theme perhaps?
The ost 117 didn't feel moving enough for it to be the track for the main menu, but to me it sounds suitable for once after you've beaten the game.

Haven sounded amazing with its steady soothing violin and piano flow that makes its listeners wonder in its mysterious melodies then escalates by revealing what was hidden to be glorified with beauty but slowly settling into this new world lies with its dark secrets. And imo, would make an appealing main menu track.

Fuchsdh

I refuse to believe that the Didact is the ancient evil, but I don't think he is an ally either. The script section that describes the Didact fighting MC and Cortana, specifically the line "Compassion for mankind is misplaced", leads me to believe that MC & Cortana are actually trying to wake the Didact because they need his help, although we can clearly see he is reluctant because he is still angry about what happened the past.

It can clearly be heard in the "A Hero Awakens" vid.

Leitmotif scoring isn't always necessary to accomplish a fitting musical soundscape, in my opinion. We'll have to wait and see.

Halo has *never* had a leitmotif score. O'Donnell reused and adapted his own themes to suit his thematic needs, not those of characters (i.e., "Earth City" becomes Halo 3's MC-Cortana Love Theme, Halo CE's "lost" Love Theme chord progression became the Covenant's mood music at the beginning of Halo 2.)

If anything, Davidge *seems* to be approaching more of a leitmotif style, with characters having certain elements associated with them, but that's speculation until we see how the images and sounds stack.

Omni

finally got back to ME3. EDI just turned into a hot robot chick. Looks kinda like Cortana. Game rules.

Eh, I hated that part. It was just weird.

Halo: Reach netcode...

I never understood that hate over this. I have a wireless connection in Australia (we're known for having pretty sub-par connections) and I only got real lag in Firefight once every 20 or so games. Multiplayer was pretty flawless.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I never understood that hate over this. I have a wireless connection in Australia (we're known for having pretty sub-par connections) and I only got real lag in Firefight once every 20 or so games. Multiplayer was pretty flawless.
Because it gave you host.

GhaleonEB

I've been host maybe three or four times that I know of. My old connection couldn't handle it.

If you don't notice lag in Firefight, you're host. Not sure what you meant by "real lag" though, you might be more tolerant of it than I am. In my experience it only takes a little big of input lag to make the mode borderline unplayable. I've grown very intolerant of it, which is why I can't play any longer. In Doubles the connection was either decent or I got host.

willow ve

I live in the central US on a rock solid connection. In an area that is filled with Halo players. And I get lag all the time. Input/button lag in firefight. Ghosts and invisible players merrily skipping around my screen in multiplayer. If you play a game and notice "damn, I have hit all my headshots and I am trashing these idiots" it's most likely you were given host for the game. (Easy way to see host advantage is play Grifball - if you're killing everyone easily you have host. If you're trading kills all the time with other players... you don't have it that game).

It's doubly frustrating playing BF3 and then going back to Reach. Dedicated Servers are so buttery smooth. I drive a tank, I shoot the tank, the shell goes where I was actually aiming. In Reach I drive a wraith, I launch a shot, and it disappears, lags, and suddenly hits the ground in a different location.

Obviously this isn't true all of the time, but it happens enough to be noticeable.

Omni

If you don't notice lag in Firefight, you're host. Not sure what you meant by "real lag" though, you might be more tolerant of it than I am. In my experience it only takes a little big of input lag to make the mode borderline unplayable. I've grown very intolerant of it, which is why I can't play any longer. In Doubles the connection was either decent or I got host.

Yeah. I meant that it was still playable and most of all, enjoyable. Sure, most times there was a slight, slight, slight delay between pressing a button and the action happening, but nothing ground breaking. In multiplayer things were pretty damn good - much better than Halo 3. Pretty much every game I'm in everyone has a green bar and aside from the odd splatter gone wrong, it all goes smoothly.

I guess I have a higher tolerance than some.

Halo has *never* had a leitmotif score. O'Donnell reused and adapted his own themes to suit his thematic needs, not those of characters (i.e., "Earth City" becomes Halo 3's MC-Cortana Love Theme, Halo CE's "lost" Love Theme chord progression became the Covenant's mood music at the beginning of Halo 2.)

If anything, Davidge *seems* to be approaching more of a leitmotif style, with characters having certain elements associated with them, but that's speculation until we see how the images and sounds stack.

I never understood leitmotif to be exclusive to characters, but if that is then case that you're right.

That game jumped the shark so many times for me, and I didn't even come close to finishing it!

Same.

Top Bottom