• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Spartan Points unlock weapons/abilities

Credits unlock cosmetics

its gun b k

from my understanding
I thought they were different names for the same currency.

I also really want to know if we earn ANYTHING for playing the campaign. I mean, aside from fun and stuff. I just tweeted bs angel and David about that. Hope they respond.

GhaleonEB

I wonder what plans, if any, 343 have for players that have played the game over 12-24 months, and have unlocked all the armours and whatever.

I'm sitting on nearly a million useless Reach credits. It's both pointless and stupid. Reach's credits stop being an incentive less than a year after the game launched. And with the credits, everything tied to them. The armoury was fully unlocked - no more fun there. Challenges are a chore when the reward isn't rewarding. Commendations were fun, until the bars stop moving - and the commendations rewards were just plain insulting.

I think that's where the specializations come in. I get the sense they will take a while to earn - and 343 is leaving many of them locked up until an indeterminate time, perhaps to release them gradually and so add both incentives and content later in the release cycle. Pure speculation, but that's how I interpreted the structure of the investment framework announced so far. That and I have a feeling we'll have plenty of bars to fill in the meantime.

I think that's where the specializations come in. I get the sense they will take a while to earn - and 343 is leaving many of them locked up until an indeterminate time, perhaps to release them gradually and so add both incentives and content later in the release cycle. Pure speculation, but that's how I interpreted the structure of the investment framework announced so far. That and I have a feeling we'll have plenty of bars to fill in the meantime.

Yeah its not a post halo 3, halo game without having to grind for commendations.

But i do hope they revamp challenges, not just the same every week.

FyreWulff

Yeah its not a post halo 3, halo game without having to grind for commendations.

But i do hope they revamp challenges, not just the same every week.

It'll probably be a pool again (if they exist), mostly because it's less dangerous. Probably a bigger pool and better control over it. That Link up to Bungie.net challenge refuses to die :lol

Ryaaan14

Banned
Imo, investing in Weapons and AA's to unlock first after several ranks would be a logical start after gaining so much exp. or "Spoints".

No thanks. I'll buy my EVA helmet and adapt to whatever themed midrange weapon I unlock first. I'm a terrible player but the thought of playing Halo 4 being forced to pick up weapons and not use any AA's doesn't intimidate me.

Finally getting around to playing through CEA. One of the major things that strikes me is how huge everything is. All the levels are gigantic. I don't remember having this sense of scale in any of the other halo games.

Also, there's no checkpoint after you destroy the first generator in Two Betrayals for a long ass time. It's really annoying dying and then having to go back and do 10 minutes of gameplay all over again.

yo, good games

Wow, so many bad connections tonight. Rough.
And here I thought things were going so well between us. I had many connection problems later in the night, but that's to be expected with the dwindling 3 AM population.

Special thanks to ChoppyChip99 and the Noble 6's. 50-0 remains a dream while 49-0 remains frustratingly attainable.

EDIT: Just a heads up for those interested: the 50-2 game wasn't even close to ChoppyChip's worst game. A couple of days ago he dropped a -69 on some lucky opponents. God bless you ChoppyChip. You've chopped and chipped your way into our hearts.

Shadders

I got sent the full OST on Friday, there's some incredible music in there. Some of it is genuinely spine tingling in a way I haven't felt since Halo 3.

I've asked if I can release one of the tracks.

It'll probably be a pool again (if they exist), mostly because it's less dangerous. Probably a bigger pool and better control over it. That Link up to Bungie.net challenge refuses to die :lol
My only real gripe is that the commendations are pointless. All they do is make it so you have to grind. and apparently you wont be able to get 100% of everything in Halo without grinding those commendations.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Just a heads up for those interested: the 50-2 game wasn't even close to ChoppyChip's worst game. A couple of days ago he dropped a -69 on some lucky opponents. God bless you ChoppyChip. You've chopped and chipped your way into our hearts.
Aw man, missed it. Let's send him friend request and take him into FFA and see how amazing(lay bad) things go.

nillapuddin

I also really want to know if we earn ANYTHING for playing the campaign. I mean, aside from fun and stuff. I just tweeted bs angel and David about that. Hope they respond.

idk who said but I know the unlocking system for cosmetics vs gameplay items are different

i can only assume you have some form of currency/xp system that allows you to pick and choose armor separately

we will have some tough decisions to make when spending our points on our load out the first time, I'm excited to truly be "building" my spartan to my play style

Aw man, missed it. Let's send him friend request and take him into FFA and see how amazing(lay bad) things go.

Those were the games that we were playing right when you hopped on. As usual hotheads Odysseus and 'fracas ran headfirst into a ChoppyDoubleChip which ruined our shot at the Team Perfecto.

'Prestige'.

Slaker117

idk who said but I know the unlocking system for cosmetics vs gameplay items are different

i can only assume you have some form of currency/xp system that allows you to pick and choose armor separately

we will have some tough decisions to make when spending our points on our load out the first time, I'm excited to truly be "building" my spartan to my play style

I seem to remember them saying armor was unlocked automatically by hitting certain milestones while perks and stuff had to be bought with in-game currency.

Finally getting around to playing through CEA. One of the major things that strikes me is how huge everything is. All the levels are gigantic. I don't remember having this sense of scale in any of the other halo games.

Also, there's no checkpoint after you destroy the first generator in Two Betrayals for a long ass time. It's really annoying dying and then having to go back and do 10 minutes of gameplay all over again.
The scale is the reason why I love the game. It feels incredible to walk through this valleys and canyons. And I am still thinking Guilty Spark is the best story level ever. I hope 343i will succeed to capture this feeling again. But when I see this, I am saying to myself: They did it.
ibj7XZjRNCFCv3.gif

id8SD5Axcoq6U.gif

I got sent the full OST on Friday, there's some incredible music in there. Some of it is genuinely spine tingling in a way I haven't felt since Halo 3.

Liar. Someone made the joke already. Move on.

Ryaaan14

Banned
The scale is the reason why I love the game. It feels incredible to walk through this valleys and canyons. And I am still thinking Guilty Spark is the best story level ever. I hope 343i will succeed to capture this feeling again. But when I see this, I am saying to myself: They did it.
http://i.minus.com/ibj7XZjRNCFCv3.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/id8SD5Axcoq6U.gif[IMG]

Liar. Someone made the joke already. Move on.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ez7iNjoVg&t=0m30s[/url]

I wonder what plans, if any, 343 have for players that have played the game over 12-24 months, and have unlocked all the armours and whatever.

I'm sitting on nearly a million useless Reach credits. It's both pointless and stupid. Reach's credits stop being an incentive less than a year after the game launched. And with the credits, everything tied to them. The armoury was fully unlocked - no more fun there. Challenges are a chore when the reward isn't rewarding. Commendations were fun, until the bars stop moving - and the commendations rewards were just plain insulting.

The plan for 24 months is the release of Halo 5. :p

It will be interesting to see what their scheduled plan is. Halo 3 and Reach were poorly scheduled/weren't scheduled out post release.

TheOddOne

Halo 3 has that scale to some extent, but no Halo has really matched the first one.

yo, good games

And here I thought things were going so well between us. I had many connection problems later in the night, but that's to be expected with the dwindling 3 AM population.

Special thanks to ChoppyChip99 and the Noble 6's. 50-0 remains a dream while 49-0 remains frustratingly attainable.

I blame fracas.

zap

I'm going to miss the Grenade Launcher so much in Halo 4.

It's one of the best things that Reach brought to the table. Can't believe we are getting the Concussion Rifle instead :/

What's weird is that Bungie touted the fact that they had people specially working on an investment system to improve on Halo 3's EXP system... but at least you keep progressing per playlist years after the TU that introduced the new EXP stuff.

TheOddOne

It's one of the best things that Reach brought to the table. Can't believe we are getting the Concussion Rifle instead :/
I wonder how much bleedthrough and sprinting played a role in the removel of the Grenade Launcher. It really did fit in the Reach gameplay.

L1NETT

Awesome :) Couple of questions, is there the "proper" Halo theme anywhere? Favourite track?

Also, nice Avatar Randomrosso.

Omni

Yeah. It was probably the most satisfying weapon to use in the game... Concussion rifle was awfully 'meh' (and not to mention incredibly annoying when used against you)

Also, nice Avatar Randomrosso.
Thanks! When I saw it in the vidoc I got the idea to use it immediately. :)

Reach's netcode>Every console shooter

The fact is though, its still pretty shitty. Internet gaming is always going to have problems, being the game with the best netcode doesn't stop that. I actually think if im playing with Gaf, Halo 3 and Reach are equally laggy for me. If I try and play a game with people all across the world, its going to be laggy no matter what. I still prefer peer to peer over dedicated servers though.

I hope Halo 4 pushes the netcode forward again, but at this point the Reach netcode is no longer anything to write home about.

I would rather they rewarded Halo 3 players who got a lot of exp than rewarded Reach players. :p

No but really, the Reach investment system is just weird, I think its one of the most flawed investment systems ive seen, theres no real carrot on a stick past a certain point.

Overdoziz

Banned
Reach's netcode is so much better than Halo 3's. The fact that Reach precision weapons are hitscan and have no spread only makes it feel even better. I have enough to complain about when it comes to Reach but the netcode is excellent. In Halo 3 I feel like I have to shoot twice as much to hit the same amount of bullets as in Reach. In every match there are a ton of moments where I think to myself "Well, I sure hope my BR shots will hit this dude in the distance.". Shooting in Reach is a lot more consistent and reliable. Even when I'm playing on an west-coast host my shots still register but they're just a bit delayed. Still annoying, but a lot more manageable than it was in Halo 3.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think matchmaking just needs to make it more of a priority. It would really increase the quality of matches. I've said it before but if waiting a couple minutes for a match means that that match is much better quality all around, it's very much worth it. Because otherwise you're stuck playing a shitty game for 10 minutes.

Reach's netcode is so much better than Halo 3's. The fact that Reach precision weapons are hitscan and have no spread only makes it feel even better. I have enough to complain about when it comes to Reach but the netcode is excellent. In Halo 3 I feel like I have to shoot twice as much to hit the same amount of bullets as in Reach. In every match there are a ton of moments where I think to myself "Well, I sure hope my BR shots will hit this dude in the distance.". Shooting in Reach is a lot more consistent and reliable. Even when I'm playing on an west-coast host my shots still register but they're just a bit delayed. Still annoying, but a lot more manageable than it was in Halo 3.

Im going to start spamming you with film clips so you can see what im talking about. I agree though that Reach is a step up from 3, but the improvement is negligible when we play with people worldwide. In that case it sucks so hard on both games, but thats to be expected and isnt a fualt of the game - its just a normal thing that at a point the netcode cant handle it.

I still think Reach went from feeling good to feeling pretty horrible sometime early this year, im convinced that they switched servers or something and that caused issues. The game felt a lot nicer when it first came out for sure - although that could be rose tinted glasses.

Overdoziz

Banned
Im going to start spamming you with film clips so you can see what im talking about. I agree though that Reach is a step up from 3, but the improvement is negligible when we play with people worldwide. In that case it sucks so hard on both games, but thats to be expected and isnt a fualt of the game.
But that's the thing; When you have a good connection in Reach it plays great, when you've got a shitty host it plays shitty (although still not as bad as 3). Halo 3 plays shitty all around. Now stop having such a hard-on for anything Halo 3. It's reaching Dax levels of madness.

Gazzawa

Im going to start spamming you with film clips so you can see what im talking about. I agree though that Reach is a step up from 3, but the improvement is negligible when we play with people worldwide. In that case it sucks so hard on both games, but thats to be expected and isnt a fualt of the game - its just a normal thing that at a point the netcode cant handle it.

yeah buddy. Reach is great when you get a smooth game w/o quitzors. which is a rare thing.
U could probably quantify the amount of time u've spent in Blackscreen in reach by hours which is a very sad thing indeed.

But that's the thing; When you have a good connection in Reach it plays great, when you've got a shitty host it plays shitty (although still not as bad as 3). Halo 3 plays shitty all around. Now stop having such a hard-on for anything Halo 3. It's reaching Dax levels of madness.

wat

lol thats pretty ironic, it seems like that hard-on is the other way round. Im not saying Halo 3 is not shitty, im saying that Reach feels pretty shitty to me aswell. I feel like you get host in a lot of our customs so you probably dont feel it, but ill film clip some stuff for you so you can see what I mean.

When I have a good connection in Halo 3 or Reach the game feels good, when I have a shitty host in either - both games feel shitty, Reach just seems to do a better job of masking it - in 3 you see people teleporting, in Reach you dont see it so bad visually, but its clear the shot registration is shit.

I dont think your getting what im saying... Halo Reach has better netcode than 3, but at this point in its lifespan, the netcode is still shitty. When you play with people from around the globe in any game the netcode is going to suck - is that so hard to understand or is your hard-on for Reach blinding you to simple networking logic? :p

People attribute too much to 'netcode' and not enough to the realities of our global Internet, which strangely has yet to fully overcomes the distances of thousands of miles it has to route across in each heartbeat.

People attribute too much to 'netcode' and not enough to the realities of our global Internet, which strangely has yet to fully overcomes the distances of thousands of miles it has to route across in each heartbeat.

Hell the internet can vary from Home to Home in the same city/town. just showing that the infrastructure isnt as strong as advertised.

Yeah I think this is what I mean but terminology wise im failing to make the distinction clear.

Halo Reach has better netcode than 3, but when your dealing with distance (latency), that netcode improvement is negligible - or at least thats how it feels to me anyway.

I dont see how that can be improved, theres just no easy way around that. Its not a fualt of the game, but for me online gaming is always going to feel fairly shitty simply because of that fact. You can have the best netcode in the world and it wont change that.

Im still 100% sure that even though the netcode and latency didnt change... that something else did sometime around last christmas, it feels to me like the quality of connections deteriorated around then.

Fuchsdh

If Joel Goldsmith were still alive (RIP), I would've loved to see his take on a Halo soundtrack.

Two examples of his work:
1. Stargate SG1 Main Theme
2. Stargate Atlantis Main Theme

Atlantis is my favorite of the two.
I prefer SG1' although compared to David Arnold's original theme, I tend to think the SG1 theme is a bit to over the top military (dat snare).

why don't tv shows have awesome long opening credits like that anymore? i love them.
When you've lost 8-10 minutes of running time over shows from 40-50 years ago, you've got to make cuts somewhere to allow you to tell stories.

Scale looks Halo like. I wonder if we can go all the way out there like Halo 2?

Where could you go in Halo 2? My memory of that game is "nice skybox, too bad I'm stuck in this linear tube over here."

Plain Ben

I thought rank and Achievements/Commendations unlocked cosmetic armor, and Spartan Points just unlocked items for your loadout?

Mark VI Armor is unlocked by playing Campaign on Legendary, that was on a Waypoint bulletin.

Top Bottom