• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nah, that's just a random lackey.

I'm just speculating based on the schism going on between the Elites and that a seemingly green Phantom appears in the video.

Plus Arbiter is badass.

Probably, but given the human/covenant alliance one would think he would make an appearance anyway, at least somewhere in the trilogy.

I'm not up on the books, but the alliance isn't broken up by the time of this game, is it?

Also, just because ONI wants it, doesn't mean it will happen, at least, not right away.

I would read Glasslands. Decent book, gives a lot of post war info. Personally detest the Author but that's a story for well not now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I would read Glasslands. Decent book, gives a lot of post war info. Personally detest the Author but that's a story for well not now.

I have other shit to read, not going to bother with the Halo books at this point, maybe down the road when I'm done with "better" books.

You didn't really answer the question though.

Moa

I think we already saw Arbiter in the part 2 Vidoc.

arbiter.gif

Looks a bit like him.

I have other shit to read, not going to bother with the Halo books at this point, maybe down the road when I'm done with "better" books.

You didn't really answer the question though.

Well
ONI is selling Arms to a faction of the elites named "The servants of abiding truth" who despise the humans and want the arbiter killed. Some people are speculating that the "Storm" faction in 4 are an offshoot of that group

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well
ONI is selling Arms to a faction of the elites named "The servants of abiding truth" who despise the humans and want the arbiter killed. Some people are speculating that the "Storm" faction in 4 are an offshoot of that group

Yeah, that doesn't have anything to do with him showing up on the human's side in the game. Nor the existing alliance.

I'd be genuinely surprised if he's not in the trilogy in some capacity.

Either way, done with this line of conversation. Don't want this to turn into a black bar page.

Noricart

But they are bringing back commendations so i see halo 4 being fun but a massive grind if they keep them the way bungie did them.

can't wait to get 8000 headshots to unlock autumn camo for my BR. /sarcasm

You forgot to mention the part where the randomly generated challenges don't scale their credit rewards properly :/

FyreWulff

You forgot to mention the part where the randomly generated challenges don't scale their credit rewards properly :/

That was something 343 could change, and they did.. but they didn't change all of them. They changed the Link Up to Bungie.net to only give you 1cR now, for example. It's really obvious on the older weeklies that hadn't been around in a while. You go from 30,000cR payouts for grabbing some multikills to piddly payouts for SLASO runs.

Swarmerr

But they are bringing back commendations so i see halo 4 being fun but a massive grind if they keep them the way bungie did them.

can't wait to get 8000 headshots to unlock autumn camo for my BR. /sarcasm

I don't really care about grinding or exp unlocks tbh. I am more concerned about the quality of the matches that we will be getting.

to that end you'll have people boosting matches to get commendations. potentially ruining the matchmaking experience for legit players.

I don't doubt that this happens, but was it that much of a problem in reach? I ask only because I have a limited amount of play time in reach.

Moa

That was something 343 could change, and they did.. but they didn't change all of them. They changed the Link Up to Bungie.net to only give you 1cR now, for example. It's really obvious on the older weeklies that hadn't been around in a while. You go from 30,000cR payouts for grabbing some multikills to piddly payouts for SLASO runs.

A lot of the challenges changed to give slightly more as well as a few of them ending in X343 now compared to just XX00 or X000 like Bungie did a lot.

Moa

How does that effect anyone else's experience?

The only issue I see with this would be in Halo 4's case where levels can mean advantage (weapon/specialization unlocks).

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't.
In terms of those who actually earn 100% commendations legit, it is unfair to those.

Louis Wu

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't.
In terms of those who actually earn 100% commendations legit, it is unfair to those.
I think I agree with AlienShogun here; nobody's come CLOSE to 100% legit.

(That dude has been boosting for a while, so he's building up commendations MUCH faster than you would be if you were playing legitimately... and he's got 116 days of gameplay in. I don't know what you'd need to earn those legitimately, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were building 2x as fast as you could (I'm guessing it's closer to 5x as fast, but hey - what do I know?).)

Do you know of anybody who's got more than 200 days of gameplay into Halo Reach?

Ive finally figured it out, I finally enjoy Reach, 2 years after release.

The mistake I was making before was that I kept trying to play it as if it was a Halo game/ a shooter. The way to play the game is as if its a phycological horror multiplayer game. If I play as if im the godamn batman I find the game a lot more fun. Crouch camo then double beatdown, do nothing except slowly crouch up to people then double beat them down, only use a weapon if you have a Sniper, sword or shotty, but make sure to be in camo before using either weapon - literally get them so spooked they are looking in any cranny for you then switch the sprint double beatdown. Mix that up with some Jetpack abuse and armour lock abuse and you suddenly have a very fun game.*

*-opponents may not agree.

Im part being a dick, but part making the point that I hope Halo 4 has none of this cheap crap

I feel stupid for just now noticing this, but Halo 4's 4 logo looks like a Forerunner structure. Not just in design, it looks like it could be a side profile of a modified Valhalla base or something. :lol

Moa

I think I agree with AlienShogun here; nobody's come CLOSE to 100% legit.

(That dude has been boosting for a while, so he's building up commendations MUCH faster than you would be if you were playing legitimately... and he's got 116 days of gameplay in. I don't know what you'd need to earn those legitimately, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were building 2x as fast as you could (I'm guessing it's closer to 5x as fast, but hey - what do I know?).)

Do you know of anybody who's got more than 200 days of gameplay into Halo Reach?

Never heard of anyone with 200 days, if anyone had nailed 200 days, it would be from pure boosting, AFKing and all that stuff.

heckfu

Banned

The mistake I was making before was that I kept trying to play it as if it was a Halo game/ a shooter. The way to play the game is as if its a phycological horror multiplayer game. If I play as if im the godamn batman I find the game a lot more fun. Crouch camo then double beatdown, do nothing except slowly crouch up to people then double beat them down, only use a weapon if you have a Sniper, sword or shotty, but make sure to be in camo before using either weapon - literally get them so spooked they are looking in any cranny for you then switch the sprint double beatdown. Mix that up with some Jetpack abuse and armour lock abuse and you suddenly have a very fun game.*

Im part being a dick, but part making the point that I hope Halo 4 has none of this cheap crap

You've lost your damned mind.

Fracas

#fuckonami

10/10

although people have been doing this since launch :p

10/10

although people have been doing this since launch :p

Yeah I suppose im choosing a weird time to complain about it... but playing Reach now, I just hate the fact that everything I mentioned is technically still possible in Halo 4. Well except for the Armour Lock bit.

I just want a vidoc discussing things like AA balance and how 343 went about bringing them back/ intergrating them this time round!

Play MLG son

Reach MLG is fun, but I HATE the slow shield recharge and OP'd nades. The slow shield recharge time is something that always catches me out, feels like I have to stop and play defence after every encounter.

I would actually give it a shot now if people are up for jumping on?

Talents

Banned

That made my day.

nillapuddin

I seem to remember them saying armor was unlocked automatically by hitting certain milestones while perks and stuff had to be bought with in-game currency.

automatically.. well I guess I cant hate that, atleast it wont hold me back from getting something til I have enough credits

whatever alleviates the problem of having 100% completion and still have millions of bucks burning a hole in my spartan wallet.

Every match I earn credits I feel like the game is mocking me

Btw, Commendations.. didnt work.

I never understood why challenge rewards didn't scale with your rank (so there's a flat rate for each, multiplied by your rank so that the reward is relevant to you). It'd be a simple thing to implement, surely?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah I suppose im choosing a weird time to complain about it... but playing Reach now, I just hate the fact that everything I mentioned is technically still possible in Halo 4. Well except for the Armour Lock bit.

I just want a vidoc discussing things like AA balance and how 343 went about bringing them back/ intergrating them this time round!

Reach MLG is fun, but I HATE the slow shield recharge and OP'd nades. The slow shield recharge time is something that always catches me out, feels like I have to stop and play defence after every encounter.

But if you're forcing yourself to play Reach just do MLG. You'll adapt to the settings and slowly fall in love.

Karl2177

Since people are saying the core mechanics of 4 are similar to Halo 3, I've been playing 3 a lot with my roommate. I haven't quit Reach altogether, but my time in it is greatly decreased. I say you do what I do an only play Reach with gaffers, and stick to Halo 3 ;p

nillapuddin

The lack of under armor on the elites is still rubbing me the wrong way

wish they were like the chief, full skin suit, then armor built on to that

now chiefs armor feels like a real modular suit, instead of a giant diaper and vest he straps on

This isn't related to anything you guys are talking about, but Halo 2 Vista players have terrible taste in gametypes. It's impossible to find a fun match, haha. Just played 8v8 Duals on Uplift.

Top Bottom