• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

This isn't related to anything you guys are talking about, but Halo 2 Vista players have terrible taste in gametypes. It's impossible to find a fun match, haha. Just played 8v8 Duals on Uplift.

Both Halo CE and H2:V are filled with shitty gametypes.

I love the way PC players talk about how fantastic servers browsers are and how bad matchmaking is and then populate servers with bullshit gametypes.

nillapuddin

This isn't related to anything you guys are talking about, but Halo 2 Vista players have terrible taste in gametypes. It's impossible to find a fun match, haha. Just played 8v8 Duals on Uplift.

i know right : /

its either put up with 24/7 CTF on Coag or something crazy

now I cant even play anymore because of the bullshit family plan thing

MrBig

Both Halo CE and H2:V are filled with shitty gametypes.

I love the way PC players talk about how fantastic servers browsers are and how bad matchmaking is and then populate servers with bullshit gametypes.

I love how you're equating a game that had it's prime population in 2004-2005, and a game really can hardly be said to exist, to anything representative of PC gaming at all. Anyone playing those games isn't looking for a good time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Movie Maker & NinjaGif aren't exactly the best combination.
i weep

anyway

RtbgF.gif

Hoping for Halo 5, it transitions to being a map editor, rather than an object editor. It's still operating within the design limitations of Halo 3's Forge, though it's been expanded around the edges.

Just copy and paste Far Cry's editor and add Halo elements and you have a recipe for success.

orznge

Banned
I love how you're equating a game that had it's prime population in 2004-2005, and a game really can hardly be said to exist, to anything representative of PC gaming at all. Anyone playing those games isn't looking for a good time.

hahahaha yeah I know dude "I can't even fucking believe this what kind of shit have PC gamers been lying to me about what do you mean I have to play on Christian Gamers Rockets Only 24/7 Blood Gulch in 2012"

Hoping for Halo 5, it transitions to being a map editor, rather than an object editor. It's still operating within the design limitations of Halo 3's Forge, though it's been expanded around the edges.

Forge is cool tool, but even if it becomes more of a real map editor instead of an object editor like you state, I just have no interest in playing anything other than a tiny amount of community maps in MM.

Plywoody: Getting to see Emilia everyday entering this thread is a blessing. So glad the proper avatar is back.

orznge

Banned
I can't believe there's only a handful of servers playing shitty stuff left on two of the worst console to PC ports ever.

Forge is cool tool, but even if it becomes more of a real map editor instead of an object editor like you state, I just have no interest in playing anything other than a tiny amount of community maps in MM.

Plywoody: Getting to see Emilia everyday entering this thread is a blessing. So glad the proper avatar is back.

What about Community Battle and Community Big Team playlists? With no Community variants in regular MM (save for perhaps, the most voted "map-of-the-month"). I'm not a huge fan of the effect of Forge on MM, what with Greylo Reach and all... but some of those maps - if coloured/spiced up a bit - are actually pretty snazzy. And they especially would be with more powerful map-making tools.

dude there's still like 1000 South Americans on the Halo PC Trial at any given time and it owns

Pretty much described my High School photography course (switch out South American for Western Canadian). "2 Flag on Gulch for 90 minutes a day" course, I mean.

Yes please.

Here are a bunch of Halo remakes in Far Cry 2 on Xbox for anyone who does not understand.

Instead we have Asylum and other less than perfect remakes like this (no offense to the creator, he did a great job within the limitations of Forge).

Not only that but Over made a better version of Sanctuary in Murder Miners, aka Minecraft with guns, than Bungie did in Reach. How is that even a reality?

nillapuddin

Yes please.

Here are a bunch of Halo remakes in Far Cry 2 on Xbox for anyone who does not understand.

Instead we have Asylum and other less than perfect remakes like this (no offense to the creator, he did a great job within the limitations of Forge).

Not only that but Over made a better version of Sanctuary in Murder Miners, aka Minecraft with guns, than Bungie did in Reach. How is that even a reality?

to be fair, the jambo headlong is nowhere near the upper echelon of remakes that reach has produced

So good.

I think that's where the specializations come in. I get the sense they will take a while to earn - and 343 is leaving many of them locked up until an indeterminate time, perhaps to release them gradually and so add both incentives and content later in the release cycle. Pure speculation, but that's how I interpreted the structure of the investment framework announced so far. That and I have a feeling we'll have plenty of bars to fill in the meantime.

Well see, Im not sure how well that will work as the six specializations come with the LE and with some preorders apparently. But I suppose it may not be about when 343 unlock the specializations, but rather how long it will take you to actually unlock them. For all we know it may take a good amount of time to get through each tree.

i weep

anyway

RtbgF.gif

Yeah, that's not the Arbiter. If it is I would be deeply upset by the bland armor choice for such an iconic character in Halo.

nillapuddin

It doesn't matter because most aren't playable because the framerate slows to a crawl when more than 5 forge objects are in the view of the player.

Im sorry dude but thats just not true.

BTB is out of the question, but you cant say most are unplayable.

I could drop 20~ maps in a lobby right now that play excellently

edit:
Halo 1, everything except sidewinder
Halo 2, 1/2 of those maps (mostly btb's)
Halo 3, 1/4 of em (to large and/or complex)

It doesn't matter because most aren't playable because the framerate slows to a crawl when more than 5 forge objects are in the view of the player.

Limitation of the engine? Or limitation of the box? Yes, Far Cry 2 can do it, but I would wager there's a lot more going on in a Halo game than in FC2.

Louis Wu

Seems to be the way everyone else plays it on matchmaking. Seems like Snipers/ Swat is the only way to avoid the abuse.

/salty
I have no idea why you insist on using words like 'everyone' when you argue this point - it makes your entire case so much weaker.

I almost NEVER see this shit. I can't even REMEMBER the last time I played a game with someone using camo, and if I get killed more than once by a double beatdown in a single night, it's an unusual night.

I played 8 games last night - three Anniversary Classics, three Snipers, one SWAT, one BTB - and I don't think a single opponent used Invisibility. I wasn't killed by a double beatdown once.

Your absolute hate of 'cheap tactics' have blinded you to the fact that they really don't show up all that often. :(

GhaleonEB

Well see, Im not sure how well that will work as the six specializations come with the LE and with some preorders apparently. But I suppose it may not be about when 343 unlock the specializations, but rather how long it will take you to actually unlock them. For all we know it may take a good amount of time to get through each tree.

Much depends on the execution. When this issue was raised with 343, they've pointed out that it takes a long time to earn them, you can only do so when you hit rank 50, and then only work on one at a time. None of that matters much if it doesn't take a long time to earn. So yeah, we'll see.

If the Challenge system is overhauled - and signs point to yes - that alone will provide more longevity, for me at least. Not to mention, if the game is good and people want to keep playing it because it's fun. Probably goes without saying that none of this really matters otherwise.

Yes please.

if we are getting forge 2.04 in halo 4, PLEASE 343 don't put the grey in matchmaking. i know they said they wouldn't at launch, but I'd much rather play maps with more colors than gray. give community maps a weekend playlist or something.

What about Community Battle and Community Big Team playlists? With no Community variants in regular MM (save for perhaps, the most voted "map-of-the-month"). I'm not a huge fan of the effect of Forge on MM, what with Greylo Reach and all... but some of those maps - if coloured/spiced up a bit - are actually pretty snazzy. And they especially would be with more powerful map-making tools.

Any Forge "maps" in MM should be in a community map playlist.

Im sorry dude but thats just not true.

BTB is out of the question, but you cant say most are unplayable.

I could drop 20+~ maps in a lobby right now that play excellently
It is an exaggeration. Would you rather play on Asylum or a custom built remake from the ground up (literally).

Limitation of the engine? Or limitation of the box? Yes, Far Cry 2 can do it, but I would wager there's a lot more going on in a Halo game than in FC2.
Does it matter how much is going on? The framerate lag is because the xbox is trying to render a bunch of objects; It would not have that problem if custom maps and geometry could be built.

One last thing before I go: Halo has a huge team and a large number of resources behind it; much more than Far Cry. Not to mention the fact that MS is making the game and they have the luxury of being able to just throw money at it. It seems inexcusable in this day and age for Halo to not have a true map editor when other first person shooters do. I'm not blaming 343 or Bungie. I'm just saying that it is ridiculous that we are still building maps out of grey boxes.

Much depends on the execution. When this issue was raised with 343, they've pointed out that it takes a long time to earn them, you can only do so when you hit rank 50, and then only work on one at a time. None of that matters much if it doesn't take a long time to earn. So yeah, we'll see.

If the Challenge system is overhauled - and signs point to yes - that alone will provide more longevity, for me at least. Not to mention, if the game is good and people want to keep playing it because it's fun. Probably goes without saying that none of this really matters otherwise.

It says you quoted me, but I didn't write that post.

inception.gif

nillapuddin

It is an exaggeration. Would you rather play on Asylum or a custom built remake from the ground up (literally).

I never want to play asylum, its horrible

Im not defending that, but if you truly got to see the work the community has done, you wouldnt have such a disposition.

edit:
Forge needs ALOT ALOT ALOT of work, because in Reach is simply is not up to snuff performance wise
Im assuming that the reduced forge map size will help that issue

I never want to play asylum, its horrible

Im not defending that, but if you truly got to see the work the community has done, you wouldnt have such a disposition.

I've seen plenty of remakes good, bad and ugly; but none of them exceptional because grey boxes only go so far. If these people could build their own maps with a real editor then I imagine their work would be even better. The people that create good remakes are gifted at forge but they should not be forced to settle for mediocrity because of the confines of an antiquated editor.

My point is this: Why settle for Forge when we could all have something better?

heckfu

Banned
I have no idea why you insist on using words like 'everyone' when you argue this point - it makes your entire case so much weaker.

I almost NEVER see this shit. I can't even REMEMBER the last time I played a game with someone using camo, and if I get killed more than once by a double beatdown in a single night, it's an unusual night.

I played 8 games last night - three Anniversary Classics, three Snipers, one SWAT, one BTB - and I don't think a single opponent used Invisibility. I wasn't killed by a double beatdown once.

Your absolute hate of 'cheap tactics' have blinded you to the fact that they really don't show up all that often. :(

Hey Lewis, wanna play some Reach tonight? It's been a couple weeks.

Computron

Is it easy making a server? I could show off my uncanny ability to dj good halo game types.

Whether it's easy shouldn't matter, you're up to the challenge right?
Besides, it's not like you are doing, or even have the tools for heavy matchmaking analytics.
You just get to make a list, and it goes down the list of maps in order.
No one is voting between choices or giving feedback outside of quitting.
Also, you only get to control one server (and it cant't be the same PC you use to play the game unless you hack the app),
and people either join or they don't, and nobody in their right mind is using the matchmake feature in H2v.

Besides, there are several servers that are only playing what I imagine would be juicy maps, but no one is playing on them anyway.

Start up a server if you got a computer you can leave turned on that's stable and with a good connection.

I tried to make it clear I wasn't being 100% serious with my initial post, I wasn't really making an argument, more just venting.

I agree with your last paragraph, but I do feel as though the team who is willing to abuse cheap tactics ultimately has the upper hand in Reach, and I also feel like simply by having an AA like camo your promoting that brand of gameplay. That said I agree, its not like Camo is overpowered, and its not like camo double beatdown happens often (if at all) but camo sniping does. I just dislike the general direction it takes the game in - even if a guy cant exactly get the cheap kill on me with a camo beatdown hes still being annoying as hell by just trying.

Enfinit

Well said. I argue this point a lot as well, and it can even be applied to armor lock in most cases. It's a rarity for me to see, let alone get killed, by someone using armor lock, active camo, or hologram; it's usually sprint with a little jetpack flavor every game as far as AA's go in Slayer gametypes. However, because you're staying in playlists like SWAT, Snipers, and Anniversary Classic, there aren't any AA's to be abused for you to be a victim of, nor double pummeling in Anniversary. Play a few games of Team Slayer and you'll come across some form of "cheap tactics" at least once.

Double pummeling, on the other hand, is a totally different creature. While I stay mostly in Anniversary Classic and Super Slayer, I do notice I'm a victim of it at least once a night. While it's more common than AA abuse, it's still slightly a rarity. If anything, it's Sprint + Sword that I come across most often.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think I might actually hop on Reach for a little bit today. It's been a while and I probably won't touch it again when BL2 launches on Tueday, then Dark Souls DLC in October followed by Asscreed3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
More than anything else, this video reminded me how absolutely amazing Marty is at his work. It's going to be strange continuing the series without Marty's touch (cue creepy Elzar joke).

I dunno, the Matchmaking gods are smiling on you then, or they have it out for me. I'd say I see camo and double beat downs in 7 out of 10 matches I play. Then add in other annoyances like jetpack, sprint + sword, grenade spam, and it's like 9/10 matches.

Finished Mark of The Ninja. GOTY.
Hell yes, it's easily my GOTY thus far.

Why settle for Forge when we could all have something better?
I don't understand. If we don't settle for Forge we will get something better? What does this mean? Stop Forging? Stop playing on Forge maps? Who exactly is going to make this better thing? Microsoft? 343 Industries? Certain Affinity? Bungie?

I think I might actually hop on Reach for a little bit today. It's been a while and I probably won't touch it again when BL2 launches on Tueday, then Dark Souls DLC in October followed by Asscreed3.

AssCreed3 is out so close to Halo 4 that I might skip it and get it early January. I dont like the idea of trying to run through it in such a short space of time.

I would hate to be putting a game out to market at the moment when so many heavy hitters are coming out!

Top Bottom