• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

willow ve

Yeah I think this is what I mean but terminology wise im failing to make the distinction clear.

Halo Reach has better netcode than 3, but when your dealing with distance (latency), that netcode improvement is negligible - or at least thats how it feels to me anyway.

I dont see how that can be improved, theres just no easy way around that. Its not a fualt of the game, but for me online gaming is always going to feel fairly shitty simply because of that fact. You can have the best netcode in the world and it wont change that.

Im still 100% sure that even though the netcode and latency didnt change... that something else did sometime around last christmas, it feels to me like the quality of connections deteriorated around then.

Would dedicated servers change your mind?

---

As for other discussion. What's the "cannon" about being able to pick up weapons on the battlefield, but not grenades? That makes even less sense than not being able to drop the flag. That could just be described as a rule from a kids game.

Moa

---

As for other discussion. What's the "cannon" about being able to pick up weapons on the battlefield, but not grenades? That makes even less sense than not being able to drop the flag. That could just be described as a rule from a kids game.

Just like the flag, there is no canon change, it is strictly for gameplay.

feel

But that's the thing; When you have a good connection in Reach it plays great, when you've got a shitty host it plays shitty (although still not as bad as 3). Halo 3 plays shitty all around. Now stop having such a hard-on for anything Halo 3. It's reaching Dax levels of madness.
Give Halo 3 hitscan and a tight BR spread, and probably noone would be able to tell the netcode apart from Reach's.

Man I so want that Halo 2/3 online mp hybrid on xbla.

I dont think theres any way your really going to get super smooth gaming online. Dedicated servers have pro's and cons of they're own. At least in peer to peer its generally only one guy who has a large advantage, in dedicated servers it kind of feels like many people can have that advantage.

I dont really know enough to say, but I would imagine the benefits of dedicated servers would only exist if they had them regionally, but if your going to do that, you could have peer to peer and just make it emphasize regional matchmaking. When I play with people locally the game usually feels great on peer to peer anyway.

I dont think there's a way you can really have a multiplayer match with people from multiple countries that doesn't have lag or give an advantage to a certain group, and that goes for peer to peer or dedicated servers.

Give Halo 3 hitscan and a tight BR spread, and probably noone would be able to tell the netcode apart from Reach's.

Man I so want that Halo 2/3 online mp hybrid on xbla.

I would pay SO much money for a pure remake of Halo 1/ 2 or 3 multiplayer as a XBLA game with improved networking.

FyreWulff

I remember having actual strategies / opening moves in halo 2 that revolved around it's not-so-great netcode that didn't work in LAN. Good times.

willow ve

Just like the flag, there is no canon change, it is strictly for gameplay.

That's the problem. If you're going out of the way to setup multiplayer as part of canon then it becomes frustrating when you arbitrarily choose which pieces have to conform to this logic and which pieces don't have to conform. If you're essentially creating the entire "logical" setup for multiplayer then at least have the decency to not break your own rules.

In my opinion this is one of the most frustrating issues with multimedia franchisees. I know I might be in the minority here, but please, if you are creating a logical system just stick to the system throughout.

I dont think theres any way your really going to get super smooth gaming online. Dedicated servers have pro's and cons of they're own. At least in peer to peer its generally only one guy who has a large advantage, in dedicated servers it kind of feels like many people can have that advantage.

I dont really know enough to say, but I would imagine the benefits of dedicated servers would only exist if they had them regionally, but if your going to do that, you could have peer to peer and just make it emphasize regional matchmaking. When I play with people locally the game usually feels great on peer to peer anyway.

I dont think there's a way you can really have a multiplayer match with people from multiple countries that doesn't have lag or give an advantage to a certain group, and that goes for peer to peer or dedicated servers.

I don't know. BF3 seems so much more smooth with dedicated servers than any other peer to peer game. Maybe it's just the game itself (would need Halo Reach on dedicated servers and then Halo Reach on p2p to really test), but what I see and do on my screen seems to feel like it's happening in real time in BF3. In Reach it's a tossup sometimes.

I remember having actual strategies / opening moves in halo 2 that revolved around it's not-so-great netcode that didn't work in LAN. Good times.

My brain is fuzzy right now, but wasn't there certain jumps in either 2 or 3 that you could only do if you had host?

FyreWulff

My brain is fuzzy right now, but wasn't there certain jumps in either 2 or 3 that you could only do if you had host?

In Halo 2 only the host could grenade jump on either Live or LAN. I always thought this was like, a strange limitation of the original Xbox's processing power back in the day.

Turned out it was a bug.

FyreWulff

Really? I don't remember this ever happening...

You don't remember it? Only the host could grenade jump off the window coverings on Zanzibar to the base roof.. everyone had to buddy jump off another teammate's head to do it. Only warthogs and other vehicles driven by the host would flip from explosions. etc. To do trick jumps in the warthog with a rocket in the passenge seat, you had to have the host drive it to get launches. Otherwise the warthog would be "that's nice" and just get knocked sideways.

It's one of those things where bringing Halo 2 back would be pretty weird since it's like, what Halo 2 would be brought back. There's Bungie's original intended designs, then there's the bugs, which different amounts of the playerbase experienced and changed the game. If you only played Halo 2 splitscreen you always had full physics. If you played Halo 2 primarily on Live then everything was as heavy as 3 tons of lead.

That's the problem. If you're going out of the way to setup multiplayer as part of canon then it becomes frustrating when you arbitrarily choose which pieces have to conform to this logic and which pieces don't have to conform. If you're essentially creating the entire "logical" setup for multiplayer then at least have the decency to not break your own rules.
The canon is now that multiplayer is a computer simulation. Which means nothing and changes nothing. It's like on Seinfeld when George and Jerry created the show they were on. Multiplayer has always been a computer simulation where the rules and maps were established by designers. It's an arbitrary distinction that the Spartans are real Spartans partaking in the simulation and the designers are military strategists in the UNSC, because either way, the rules can be anything.

Fotos

Hey does anyone know if there is a way that i can buy and download Halo 2 vista instead of getting it shipped to my house?

Shadders

Awesome :) Couple of questions, is there the "proper" Halo theme anywhere? Favourite track?

No I don't think so, there's a few nods to it, but not the "proper" theme. My favourite track is, by far "Green and Blue" on both the regular album and the remix. It's a really emotional piece of music, reminds me a bit of the Halo 3 announce trailer music, but it has a much steadier build up.

FyreWulff

Hey does anyone know if there is a way that i can buy and download Halo 2 vista instead of getting it shipped to my house?

Unfortunately no. Not even in the Windows Marketplace. Modern man will never be able to understand MS's handling of Halo 2 Vista. It's a Halo game that MS pretends doesn't exist and was disowned by the original developer.

No I don't think so, there's a few nods to it, but not the "proper" theme. My favourite track is, by far "Green and Blue" on both the regular album and the remix. It's a really emotional piece of music, reminds me a bit of the Halo 3 announce trailer music, but it has a much steadier build up.

:/

Does it seem like any of the songs could emerge as the "new" Halo theme? I kind of wished that 343 left the monks on the main menu because of how iconic it is to the franchise.

Vire

Seems like a very beautiful piece based off the sample we got to hear. The only thing is that I'm not sure it really sounds like it should be in a Halo game. If it was in Mass Effect, I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

Vire

So anyone want to make predictions about what happens in the campaign?

1. Arbiter appearance

2. Mech Battle

3. Learn that Prometheans are actually ancient humans transplanted.

4. Frankie is actually Master Chief

IHaveIce

Banned
Borderlands 2 is leaked.. funny thing : by the French lol.

And people get warnings to stream anything of it before the 18th.

2 Days for release? seriously I get many games on the legal way about 4 days early.

Say if I got Halo 4 on the 2nd November, would I be allowed to play it online?

edit: The question is probably way too early lol.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Yeah I think this is what I mean but terminology wise im failing to make the distinction clear.

Halo Reach has better netcode than 3, but when your dealing with distance (latency), that netcode improvement is negligible - or at least thats how it feels to me anyway.

I dont see how that can be improved, theres just no easy way around that. Its not a fualt of the game, but for me online gaming is always going to feel fairly shitty simply because of that fact. You can have the best netcode in the world and it wont change that.

Im still 100% sure that even though the netcode and latency didnt change... that something else did sometime around last christmas, it feels to me like the quality of connections deteriorated around then.

The population dropped off taking with it the potential for a better host.
I've noticed the same shit, I almost never got matched up with Mexican/Brazilian/Central American hosts before, now it's quite often and I'm smack in the middle of the country (central Illinois)\

So anyone want to make predictions about what happens in the campaign?

1. Arbiter appearance

2. Mech Battle

3. Learn that Prometheans are actually ancient humans transplanted.

4. Frankie is actually Master Chief

I think we already saw Arbiter in the part 2 Vidoc.

2 Days for release? seriously I get many games on the legal way about 4 days early.

You could play it, but streaming it isn't allowed.

Moa

You'd be allowed to, as long as it is a legit copy and not pirated in any way.

Although, most times, the Matchmaking servers don't go up until either the Thursday or Friday.

Remember when Halo 3 leaked and the people who played it were banned until 9999?

Yes! I think it was even in the Guinness World Records Book.

I'm kind of thinking about ordering it from Newegg in hopes I get it early, but I also don't want to have to wait if it doesn't come early.

Talents

Banned

The french leaking things early? Well I never...

Might i recommend taking each separate list and putting them on their own page in the doc?

with renamed pages, it wont be so cramped. But overall thanks for making the time to something that 343 should have done already(IMO), great work.

Has it been confirmed that you cannot forge any of the disc maps? only the forge pallets or w/e

I doubt that is true. Forge was originally designed for editing maps, not creating.

Might i recommend taking each separate list and putting them on their own page in the doc?

with renamed pages, it wont be so cramped. But overall thanks for making the time to something that 343 should have done already(IMO), great work.

Good idea, done. It's been too long since I worked with spreadsheets... Been SQLing most things lately, lol.

Vire

There's a part when you see a very under armored elite, but I'm probably wrong. I don't doubt arbiter will make a return though if not in this game in some part of the trilogy

Nah, that's just a random lackey.

I'm just speculating based on the schism going on between the Elites and that a seemingly green Phantom appears in the video.

Plus Arbiter is badass.

kylej

Banned
i have like 8 million credits in reach and I'm only a moon. I hope there's actually some cool e-shit to buy in halo 4 and hopefully I can use those space bucks on them.

i have like 8 million credits in reach and I'm only a moon. I hope there's actually some cool e-shit to buy in halo 4 and hopefully I can use those space bucks on them.

What is it, 1 million to General, where you unlock 99% of the armory, then nothing from Mythic (3McR?) to 20M till Inheritor... Crazy.

Tawpgun

OT, found this on my run this morning.

sWtOO.png

On topic, im still trying to buy everything in the armory. Minus Haunted. But I already have my armor configuration so im doing it for shits and gigs. Give us more swag 343.

Vire

What is it, 1 million to General, where you unlock 99% of the armory, then nothing from Mythic (3McR?) to 20M till Inheritor... Crazy.

I hope the unlocking system is seriously overhauled.

Reach takes way too much time with too few rewards scattered in between.

Top Bottom