• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Fuchsdh

Meh. I'd still prefer they weren't there or exclusive to SP.

First blemish on an otherwise flawless release build up.

Flawless? Hardly.

I'm really hoping 343i learns from Halo 4's promotion. Thus far it's been unfortunately scattershot, and while not all their fault (game journalism just sucks) we've had to do some serious sluething for answers. These recent vi docs have been quite nice, but we also need the who/what/where/when stuff.

I'd say this release build up is the most messy one we've gotten so far. Lots of skepticism and complaints by fans plus the horrible way 343 has been releasing its information about the game.

Tawpgun

I'd say this release build up is the most messy one we've gotten so far. Lots of skepticism and complaints by fans plus the horrible way 343 has been releasing its information about the game.
Myabe its because im older, or reach left a bad taste in my mouth... But im usually blind fanboy slrp slrp when it comes to Halo marketing hype. Not this time.

No more so than usual I'd wager.

The marketing or, more specifically, the info drops in various medium haave been pretty messy indeed. I mean, ok, weapon specific details aren't too bad because they can have been tweaked plenty of times before launch but stuff like the preorder bonuses is an absolute joke. I still don't know what helmets or armour is being locked off for other retailers and which bonuses just include the armour skins. I can't even expect any employee of said retailer to know regardless of their knowledge of Halo.

Louis Wu

Not sure why anyone would use the BR based on this, all of the others seem to fill their own niches.

I was using the DMR in close range and was demolishing BR users @ PAX. What ever works better for the individual. If you know you can land all 5 shots in the fastest amount of time, why on Earth would you use a BR?
One really simple answer to these two questions:

Because not all of us can land all five shots in the fastest time. ;)

The BR gives you a chance to do damage even if you're not 100% accurate; there are 3 bullets with every trigger-pull. If you miss your DMR shot, you're a full shot behind your opponent - but you can miss 2 of your BR bullets in a single round and STILL do some damage.

For those of us who aren't perfect... this can mean the difference between success and failure in a specific encounter. :)

One really simple answer to these two questions:

Because not all of us can land all five shots in the fastest time. ;)

The BR gives you a chance to do damage even if you're not 100% accurate; there are 3 bullets with every trigger-pull. If you miss your DMR shot, you're a full shot behind your opponent - but you can miss 2 of your BR bullets in a single round and STILL do some damage.

For those of us who aren't perfect... this can mean the difference between success and failure in a specific encounter. :)

Alternatively because some of us REALLY like the "BRAP, BRAP, BRAP"

The marketing or, more specifically, the info drops in various medium haave been pretty messy indeed. I mean, ok, weapon specific details aren't too bad because they can have been tweaked plenty of times before launch but stuff like the preorder bonuses is an absolute joke. I still don't know what helmets or armour is being locked off for other retailers and which bonuses just include the armour skins. I can't even expect any employee of said retailer to know regardless of their knowledge of Halo.

For myself, I was pretty hyped 2 years ago about the changes Reach brought to the table and from what I can remember from my lurking back then, I saw a lot more positivity about the changes. Sure, some people were worried after playing the beta but if I remember correctly, a lot less people were really negative about the game.

Omni

Going over the second vidoc again and I noticed something (Probably irrelevant to most). As the Crawlers 'crawl'? over the water, little ripples are left in their wake...

65184211.png

Which is similar to what would happen with Halo 3's water.

:D

Plus, I've said it a while back... but in a few scenes in the new vidoc the Covenant Phantoms don't actually shoot at UNSC forces.

Maybe a Halo 2-esque moment where we work with the Covenant for a bit?

Way more than usual. There was no where near the degree of skepticism and questioning during Halo 3's and Reach's pre-release period. Even after the beta for Reach, people were still willing to trust Bungie about the changes, so there was mostly hype. And it makes sense. Halo 4 is keeping a lot of the changes people didn't like in Reach, so they're more worried about it and less inclined to completely fall for the game until they try the changes themselves. If we're talking about the multiplayer, I know at this point in Reach's pre-release I was more hyped for it than I am for Halo 4.

IHaveIce

Banned
For myself, I was pretty hyped 2 years ago about the changes Reach brought to the table and from what I can remember from my lurking back then, I saw a lot more positivity about the changes. Sure, some people were worried after playing the beta but if I remember correctly, a lot less people were really negative about the game.
Really? When I think back, I was from reveal to Beta, from Beta to launch really negative about Reach. I only bought it because I thought "Hey if it is that bad we will get a TU right?" Yeah.. I totally understand the skepticism for Halo 4
Plus, I've said it a while back... but in a few scenes in the new vidoc the Covenant Phantoms don't actually shoot at UNSC forces.

Maybe a Halo 2-esque moment where we work with the Covenant for a bit?
Oh good point. Maybe we also have Covenant allies AND enemies.

I would love to see water vehicles in Halo finally. At least in campaign. Please, 343i.
I agree, a boat or a jetski would be awesome

Striker

Really? When I think back, I was from reveal to Beta, from Beta to launch really negative about Reach. I only bought it because I thought "Hey if it is that bad we will get a TU right?" Yeah.. I totally understand the skepticism for Halo 4
It's possible due to age, but I've felt less excited for it compared to games like Reach and Halo 3, which aren't quite my favorites from the series. They show they've brought back some of the worst things from those games, and add a lot of new variables in the loadouts/mods, etc. Not an ideal situation and the playlists will be a big thing for me. Hopefully there's some new gametypes or announcements of old returning ones, as well as some other map reveals. The basics sound good overall, don't get me wrong. There's just a lot to balance out, and they have to nail down those map-gametype combos.

Fotos

Yeah totally

Let's take an example from real life: ever since the helicopter was invented, we never used boats ever again.

It would have made sense in Reach to have boats. But if you are flying a huge spaceship around to other worlds to make peace why would you bring that. They are completely unnecessary. "Hey we are going to explore a new planet we better bring the motor boats"

Gui_PT

It would have made sense in Reach to have boats. But if you are flying a huge spaceship around to other worlds to make peace why would you bring that. They are completely unnecessary.

*Infinity reaches a planet of Aquamen*

"Hey we want peace but we ain't goin' down there so get out of the water, fuckers"

EVERYTHING I'M SAYING MAKES SENSE

I would love to see water vehicles in Halo finally. At least in campaign. Please, 343i.

Didn't 343 say that there are six new vehicles? I could be wrong, but I thought that's what I read somewhere a few months back. I'd really like to see some drastically new vehicles. Water vehicles would be cool. I think Halo Wars had some interesting units that have never made it into the main Halo games as well. I didn't play it all the way through so I can't say for certain.

kylej

Banned
boats in campaign would be pretty cool. like, having to pilot them down large canals and whatnot. I don't think that's been in a Halo game before.

Top Bottom