• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Karl2177

Sadly, the tourney could have been done earlier if Sai, Eslim, Krispy and myself hadn't decided to let Shadow take the win after the coin flipped in our favor. But congrats to Team Shadow nonetheless.

Super totally serious comment regarding the tourney*:
You owe us that victory. :p

PNut

Banned
789shadow, BigShow36, The Real Napsta, OdysseusVA def. Trey, HiredNOOBS, Falagard, and Pnut.

Great games! Team Shadow held ring 2 and pushed well on the last game on Refuge and got a good spawn trap going. BigShow was sniping people like crazy and Napsta was in our flag what felt like the entire game.

Had a lot of fun Noobs, Falagard and Trey.

Regarding the return of The Arbiter. I think if he was in Halo 4 we'd have heard something from Keith David by now, it feels like we're always getting snippets from the voice cast.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was killed off in Thursday War. :(

Yeah, if they kill him it better not be in that book but rather in the game. Still, I hope we will remain alive and kicking for a while, he is a great character. I wonder if we will see what is left of the Prophets at any point.. Their race was awesome, and it would be neat to see them back in picture in one form or another.

Yeah, if they kill him it better not be in that book but rather in the game. Still, I hope we will remain alive and kicking for a while, he is a great character. I wonder if we will see what is left of the Prophets at any point.. Their race was awesome, and it would be neat to see them back in picture in one form or another.

books are on the same canon level as games. according to 343

I liked that the nades where weaker... and dont remember seeing anyone else complain?

I was one of the ones complaining. Grenades should be powerful. HALO: CE powerful. They're not supposed to be goddamn firecrackers.

Also still really irked by the toy-sounding guns. HALO 2 SMGs all over again.

I was one of the ones complaining. Grenades should be powerful. HALO: CE powerful. They're not supposed to be goddamn firecrackers.

toy sounding guns? halo 4? are you sure you're talking about the right game?

You know those guys who have to explain to their friends how they die EVERY SINGLE DEATH, in explicate detail?

"Oh my GOD, I shot him 4 times with the DMR, he just turns around point blank and melees me with the sword and my melee didn't register, this FUCKIN' host dude"

Yeah, nobody gives a fuck how you died man. Not interested in your life story, my nigga.

Sounds like he is simply bitching about the lag, which is fair enough.

Not all of us are camo snipers/camper. Some of us actively move while playing with camo. :) I enjoy the challenge of my opponents trying to find me while my knife finds their back.

You should put a game up on your fileshare, I'm interested in seeing how you can use camo without camping.

You should put a game up on your fileshare, I'm interested in seeing how you can use camo without camping.

I'll see what I can do. It is not like I just have a game chilling in my files to share. Actually I might I could check, but mostly it is just awesome assassination moments. So when I do get one then I will share it. :)

I just want you all to know..

.. you can still submit content to the Cartographers for consideration for Reach matchmaking at cartographers@bungie.org, Waypoint PMs, or have the guys and gals at Blueprint help you check out your map. Or PM me, Ghaleon, Dani, NOKYARD, Homeboyd, GodlyPerfection here on GAF.

And tacking on to this I find that inviting me to playtesting sessions is the best way to get maps to me. I tend to have a bad short term memory and it results in me forgetting to re-check the maps that I downloaded to look at later. So if there is anyone that runs regular customs and plays a variety of GAF maps, they would be great "contacts" to have on my friendslist to invite whenever a session is going.

GT same as Username.

Ramirez

Darksiders 2 down! Was an awesome game, don't get the complaints at all...

Hoping BL2 can live up to the hype and keep me occupied until 4 hits. :D

Enfinit

Just re-watched the Halo 4 Conan O'Brien stuff for no apparent reason and noticed Frankie had a stain on his shirt the whole time. Bugged the crap outta me.

HOW EMBARRASSING.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Darksiders 2 down! Was an awesome game, don't get the complaints at all...

Hoping BL2 can live up to the hype and keep me occupied until 4 hits. :D

Don't cheese out on BL2 after one day. That game's going to have hours of loot whoring, leveling, and epic shenanigans if BL1 is anything to go by.

I just want you all to know..

.. you can still submit content to the Cartographers for consideration for Reach matchmaking at cartographers@bungie.org, Waypoint PMs, or have the guys and gals at Blueprint help you check out your map. Or PM me, Ghaleon, Dani, NOKYARD, Homeboyd, GodlyPerfection here on GAF.
New cartographer submissions for Reach still? Wat

I also believe that grenades should be powerful, it's important to make them a great tool to flush players out, but they also need to be balanced in terms of detonation time, weapon kill times, player movement, etc in a way that fits well with the game.

The times you hear someone complain about Halo 3 grenades being too weak, what they are complaining about (probably) is that the blast radius is so small, that they don't effectively flush out players that retreat behind cover as much as players would like.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have high hopes for Borderlands 2. I really want to get in some co-op with HaloGAF kids.

nillapuddin

I really want to get in some co-op with HaloGAF kids.

family-guy-herbert.jpg
;)

Shadders

Pretty sure that it's been confirmed multiple times that shotgun is not a spawn weapon. However Jetpacks and Camo are a terrible idea.

Correct. It was available in the closed internal MS beta, but obviously it would be ridiculous to assume from that it would be available in the retail game.

Plain Ben

Pretty sure that it's been confirmed multiple times that shotgun is not a spawn weapon. However Jetpacks and Camo are a terrible idea.
Boltshot is basically a slower weaker shotgun, and it's a spawn weapon. But yeah, Jetpacks and Camo I'm no fan of.

Duji

Did a frame by frame analysis. Most of it is from captured video (like the HD Exile CTF vid and the ViDocs) while a few are from off-screen footage but I cross-referenced those vids with captured ones to make sure that the frame rates match up well. I made sure each player was firing @ max RoF too (obviously).

Minimum kill times (s = seconds, f = frames, u = unscoped, s = scoped):
DMR: 1.47s (44f)
Car: 1.63s (49f)
BR: 1.80s (54f)
LRu: 1.80s (54f) - yes, exact same RoF as the BR. I quadruple checked this one
LRs: 1.40s (42f)

Also for the sake of comparison:
H1: 0.60s (18f)
H2: 1.43s (43f)
H3: 1.53s (46f)
HR: 1.60s (48f)

Petrichor

Did a frame by frame analysis. Most of it is from captured video (like the HD Exile CTF vid and the ViDocs) while a few are from off-screen footage but I cross-referenced those vids with captured ones to make sure that the frame rates match up well. I made sure each player was firing @ max RoF too (obviously).

DMR: 1.46s (44f)
Car: 1.40s (42f) - same t as E3 build but requires 1 more shot to kill. I guess that's the nerf.

Not sure why anyone would use the BR based on this, all of the others seem to fill their own niches.

DMR: 1.46s (44f)
Car: 1.40s (42f) - same t as E3 build but requires 1 more shot to kill. I guess that's the nerf.

Good work gent.
Kill time comparisons are something I want to see.

The BR being dramatically higher is interesting, if slightly alarming. Would love to see data a month after release (from 343's side).

willow ve

Good work gent.
Kill time comparisons are something I want to see.

The BR being dramatically higher is interesting, if slightly alarming. Would love to see data a month after release (from 343's side).

I thought that the Nexy frame by frame analysis showed the DMR and the BR were identical in kill times... http://youtu.be/sEcGZyU65CM

I see he's claiming that there is a slight miscalculation on his frame rates, but the ratio is the same (ie: he's still saying the DMR and BR are the same) EDIT : he apparently updated the end of the video. According to his analysis it's

BR 1.6 seconds
DMR 1.6 seconds
Carbine 1.6 seconds
Light Rifle unzoomed 1.8 seconds
Light Rifle zoomed 1.3 seconds

heckfu

Banned
I think the kill time argument is a load of hogwash. You hear me? HOGWASH.

How often are you going to be on LAN and shooting at someone without distraction or other factors? It's a good baseline to operate with (I guess) but the weapons were all for different encounters (short vs long range).

I wouldn't use a DMR for close range combat even though according to Duji it's faster because the BR, for me and others, is a better close combat weapon just as I wouldn't use the reverse. Your graph, while appreciated for the work you did, is great in theory but not 100% applicable in practice.

Duji

I thought that the Nexy frame by frame analysis showed the DMR and the BR were identical in kill times... http://youtu.be/sEcGZyU65CM

I see he's claiming that there is a slight miscalculation on his frame rates, but the ratio is the same (ie: he's still saying the DMR and BR are the same) EDIT : he apparently updated the end of the video. According to his analysis it's

BR 1.6 seconds
DMR 1.6 seconds
Carbine 1.6 seconds
Light Rifle unzoomed 1.8 seconds
Light Rifle zoomed 1.3 seconds
The scale is wrong too. I'm the one who told him that pretty much all his calculations are wrong and he added me on Skype. There's going to be a future vid with all this cleared up.

The reason he has the BR as the same time as the DMR is because of this:
Both guns have the exact same RoF in the sense that they have the same period of time where the gun can not be fired in between shots. What he did NOT account for is the fact that a burst takes 2 frames to complete while a single shot weapon is instant.

Here's the raw data if you don't get what I mean:

Code:
H4 BR
x|x x  2                     
o o o o o o o o o o x x x  13
54 frames

H4 DMR
x|
o o o o o o o o o o x   11
44 frames

x = clip reduced by 1 from previous frame
o = clip unchanged from previous frame
| = start counting after this since you never count the first frame
Basically, he said the "o"s are the same and they are. He just didn't take into account that a burst takes longer to be fired than a single shot.

I think the kill time argument is a load of hogwash. You hear me? HOGWASH.

How often are you going to be on LAN and shooting at someone without distraction or other factors? It's a good baseline to operate with (I guess) but the weapons were all for different encounters (short vs long range).

I wouldn't use a DMR for close range combat even though according to Duji it's faster because the BR, for me and others, is a better close combat weapon just as I wouldn't use the reverse. Your graph, while appreciated for the work you did, is great in theory but not 100% applicable in practice.
I was using the DMR in close range and was demolishing BR users @ PAX. What ever works better for the individual. If you know you can land all 5 shots in the fastest amount of time, why on Earth would you use a BR?

Fuchsdh

qeaLP.gif

The HaloGAF Tourney has finally come to a close. Congrats to team 789shadow.

With any luck, the next one won't take 2 months to finish :p

Thanks for running this one. Learning experiences for everyone :p

I kind of like jetpacks, but wish at this point they were just an optional item for customs instead of a specific in-game loadout. I feel like they could have boosted the thruster into more of a jump pack and less an evade and you would never have missed the jetpack, and it wouldn't have had the same potential for map-breaking.

EDIT: Like the jetpacks for Dark Troopers in Star Wars Battlefront, if anyone played that game. You got basically two good bursts and then a pretty long recharge; the maps were also large enough that it wasn't a big issue though.

Top Bottom