• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hydranockz said:
Obvious to you perhaps. Obvious enough for Bungie to perhaps say, "hey, let's give them many variations of our control schemes, but not let them do silly things like shoot with the dpad". That's he way I see it.
Well what if someone does want to shoot with the d-pad? What's enough with that for Bungie to not want people to do it?

Dani said:
Yep, that was mentioned. Will be handy for myself, when I zoom in with the Sniper, I occasionally zoom out after a shot due to the way I hold the controller. So I'm welcoming the news.

I never had a problem with it in Halo, but for MW2, I would be shooting and then randomly knife and and get killed, so I had to switch to having my melee be the B button. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NameGenerated said:
Well what if someone does want to shoot with the d-pad? What's enough with that for Bungie to not want people to do it?
Bungie have stated before that the control layout options are restricted to minimise glitching and unwanted side effects. Dunno how much of that is accurate but it's been said.

Kapura

Banned
NameGenerated said:
"What if people WANT to BXR? Shouldn't that be enough for Bungie to let people do it?"

:|

Looks like I'll be using the Recon layout then.

LB for Grenade switch RB for Reload and B for Melee sounds FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR better than RB for Melee and B for Grenade switch

EazyB

Banned
Has anyone said anything about a time limit for those one-way shields in invasion? They sound pretty lame to my either way but if once the GAF crew widdles down one team and half of them quit will the remaining ones just be able to sit out the last 5 or 10 minutes huddled behind one of these things?

Personally I'd rather have a countdown on that teams hud which shows how long until the vehicle respawns that way there doesn't have to be a goofy one-way wall and members of that team will know exactly when the vehicle will come back so they don't just camp behind the wall of invulnerability until the scorpion comes back.

Green Thumb all the way.

Should be something like:

A- Jump
B- Zoom
X - Reload
Y- Switch Weapons
Right Trigger - Shoot
Left Trigger - Grenade
Left Bumper - Armor Ability
Right Bumper - Switch Grenade
Right Stick - Melee
Left Stick - Crouch

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Kapura said:
"What if people WANT to BXR? Shouldn't that be enough for Bungie to let people do it?"

:|
What does that have to do with fully customizable controls?

Maybe I'm just crazy in thinking that games should let users map their own buttons.

EazyB said:
Has anyone said anything about a time limit for those one-way shields in invasion? They sound pretty lame to my either way but if once the GAF crew widdles down one team and half of them quit will the remaining ones just be able to sit out the last 5 or 10 minutes huddled behind one of these things?

Player barriers, not bullets/grenades.

EazyB

Banned
Thagomizer said:
Player barriers, not bullets/grenades.
Huh, really? If so that's a lot better IMO. I just thought I remember someone or some article saying the walls were there so the enemy couldn't blow up the vehicle upon spawning. So it's just there so the enemy can't steal the vehicle? Still unnecessary IMO but better than what I thought it did.

Still see situations where it could end up in some pretty lame across-wall encounters.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:

Personally I'd rather have a countdown on that teams hud which shows how long until the vehicle respawns that way there doesn't have to be a goofy one-way wall and members of that team will know exactly when the vehicle will come back so they don't just camp behind the wall of invulnerability until the scorpion comes back.

Way to burst a bubble. I hope it doesn't work exactly like that - it would be most unfortunate. I think it might be too late to change the system, although your idea does sound good. Will give the shield doors the benefit of the doubt before seeing in action first hand - I'm pretty sure Bungie learned lessons from shield doors in Halo 3, I'm doubtful they'd bring in an even more abusable version of them for Reach.

ch0mp

NameGenerated said:
What does that have to do with fully customizable controls?

Maybe I'm just crazy in thinking that games should let users map their own buttons.

It seems obvious to me but it never seems to happen. (custom controls)

LukeSmith

Popeck said:
Yeah, I think so. I'm not 100% certain since I didn't really care for other schemes than default and BJ. So here's a rundown as I remember it, shame I didn't take any pics:

Bumper Jumper:
RB - Jump
LB - AA
A - Change grenade
B - Melee
X - Reload/Action

Yeah, no.

LT Grenades
LB Jump
RB Melee
RT Guns
X Armor Ability
Y Swap Weapons
B Action/Reload
A Switch Grenades

EazyB

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Yeah, no.

LT Grenades
LB Jump
RB Melee
RT Guns
X Armor Ability
Y Swap Weapons
B Action/Reload
A Switch Grenades
Fuck yes!

cazosozey said:
wouldnt that make controling the jetpack difficult?
If you're using a jetpack you're probably not a BJ player in the first place.

Dani said:
Way to burst a bubble. I hope it doesn't work exactly like that - it would be most unfortunate. I think it might be too late to change the system, although your idea does sound good. Will give the shield doors the benefit of the doubt before seeing in action first hand - I'm pretty sure Bungie learned lessons from shield doors in Halo 3, I'm doubtful they'd bring in an even more abusable version of them for Reach.
It's just a situation that I don't imagine crops up at all during internal games but is all too much the reality for GAF BTB games. Hopefully there's nothing to worry about but the thought of shield doors of any kind automatically get make me worry.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Luke, any control schemes with Halo 3 styling?
A Jump
B Melee
X AA (I guess X could be change grenades and LB AA)
RB Reload

etc.

GhaleonEB

There was some discussion of it earlier, but since I neglected to note this in the OP originally, I thought I'd post it here (as well as in the OP):

Shields & Melee | Melee blows will no longer carry through shields to damage the health beneath it. A melee will pop shields, whether they're full or at a sliver. A melee will likewise drop a Spartan without shields - but no more whittling shields down and then landing a killing blow before shields are down. A smack from behind is as deadly as ever.

I almost added, "so watch for the pop before you bop," but couldn't quite get myself to.

NJ Shlice

cazosozey said:
wouldnt that make controling the jetpack difficult?

This.

Having to feather the jetpack with any button other than a bumper would not allow you to shoot while doing so. The only explanation I have for their button layout is that you really dont have to feather the jetpack that much. Maybe hit the X button one or two times on the way down and it's enough to make it so you don't get any fall damage. Its not like you have to keep tapping the X button on the way down to prevent fall damage.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ajemsuhgao said:
Why would anyone want B to be melee?

Because that is what we have been using since Halo 1?

Luke, any word on the variations? If we did want B as melee, could it be?

Edit: Also the normal Halo controls, Y swap weapons, A jump, X reload?

LukeSmith said:
Yeah, no.

LT Grenades
LB Jump
RB Melee
RT Guns
X Armor Ability
Y Swap Weapons
B Action/Reload
A Switch Grenades
This is sweet.

Now I just need to test out the needler for myself and I'll be set until launch.

user_nat said:
Habit?

I have it set that way whenever I can.

But you can't aim and melee with B being melee. I guess in regular gameplay that really isn't a big problem(I play with default 99% of the time), but when I play swords or hammers or something, I usually switch to...forgot the name of it, but I think it puts melee to one of the triggers or something? Not being able to aim and melee at the same time is a huge pain in the ass. Having melee be on a bumper now is going to be great. :D

Natakuu

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Yeah, no.

LT Grenades
LB Jump
RB Melee
RT Guns
X Armor Ability
Y Swap Weapons
B Action/Reload
A Switch Grenades
Is there no option to have AA on RB but have Jump on LB still? Having X for armor ability would ruin any desire I have to use the jet pack.

Edit: On second thought I think I'd rather keep my melee on RB. Continue on with the BJ goodness:D

cazosozey

NJ Shlice said:
This.

Having to feather the jetpack with any button other than a bumper would not allow you to shoot while doing so. The only explanation I have for their button layout is that you really dont have to feather the jetpack that much. Maybe hit the X button one or two times on the way down and it's enough to make it so you don't get any fall damage. Its not like you have to keep tapping the X button on the way down to prevent fall damage.

that make sense, the only other control a jetpack type game ive played is san andreas

MrDaravon

GhaleonEB said:
I almost added, "so watch for the pop before you bop," but couldn't quite get myself to.

:lol

This image is hidden on the Arena info screen on Bungie.net so I don't know if it was posted before, but I just want to say this is honestly probably favorite screenshot of a game in years and years. The way you can just almost feel the velocity is insane. Can't fucking wait.

arena_intel2.png

EazyB

Banned
NJ Shlice said:
This.

You have to look at it this way. The jetpack is just one of four AAs and melee is used across all loadouts. Which one is going to be used more often? Probably melee.

cazosozey said:
but but i wanna try it out at least once! :(
That's why Walshy gave us the claw.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wow, I didn't know there were this many Bumper Jumper guys here lol. Where are my default guys at?? :lol

Sai said:
Because that's been it's default use since the first game?
I've had the left trigger as melee ever since the end of Halo2 and grenades with the B button. Then 3 came out and made it kind of useless, since having a quicker melee didn't give you an advantage. It's what I'm used to now, so I'll probably just stick with it. Maybe it will prove useful again in Reach.

Anyway, I'm in a school lab, where I've been for the last two days, working on my capstone paper and it sucks balls, (at least being stuck at school all this time does, maybe not the paper itself. nevermind the paper sucks, too). Got a little distracted by all the sweet new pics released today. This probably doesn't make any sense, but making pictures is a great way to procrastinate doing real work. :lol
thatsnomoon.jpg

feel

op_ivy said:
did i hear correctly in the podcast that sage has come up with a fix for "rage scoping" (that is, gripping the pad so tightly that you accidentally click a stick in and scope when not meaning to --- also, see accidental knifing in cod)? if so, and as a huge offender, awesome! urk, or others, can we get a more detailed explanation for how the game can decide when to scope and when not to?
Holy shit, I must have missed that in the podcast, I do it all the time!!

If they really thought of that issue and are preventing it somehow, then wow, there are no words... Bungie > all

neoism

Tashi0106 said:
Wow, I didn't know there were this many Bumper Jumper guys here lol. Where are my default guys at?? :lol
It took me 3 months to get used to it, but I'll never go back ..:lol

Just got an email from Amazon saying they expect Reach to ship September 7th.

Amazon.com said:
subject Your Amazon.com order (#XXX)
mailed-by bounces.amazon.com
signed-by amazon.com

8:30 PM (6 minutes ago)

Hello from Amazon.com.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on March 24 2010 (Order# XXX):

"Halo Reach"
Estimated arrival date: September 07 2010

For more details, please visit the "Your Account" section of our web site (http://www.amazon.com/your-account). You can also reach "Your Account" by clicking on the link in the top right corner of any page on our web site.

WHAT IF I WANT TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY ORDER?
If your order hasn't entered the shipping process, you can change or cancel it in Your Account:

https://www.amazon.com/your-account

If the order is "shipping soon" or "completed", you won't be able to make any changes as it's on the way out the door; we apologize for any inconvenience.

WHAT IF AN ITEM HAS SHIPPED AND I NO LONGER WANT IT?
If your shipment arrives too late, you may either refuse delivery or return it to us for a refund. For returns instructions, please visit our Returns Center at www.amazon.com/returns.

HOW DO I CONTACT YOU ABOUT MY ORDER?
If you have more questions about this order, you can e-mail or phone Customer Service by clicking the "Contact Us" button on the right side of any Help page (www.amazon.com/help).

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Retail guesstimate or inside info?

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Holy shit, I must have missed that in the podcast, I do it all the time!!

If they really thought of that issue and are preventing it somehow, then wow, there are no words... Bungie > all
I thought I was the only one. So many times I accidentally go into scope, then hit the stick to get out of it, only I've been shot so I end up putting myself back in. Repeat a couple times and I'm confused and dead. :lol
stryker1138 said:
Just got an email from Amazon saying they expect Reach to ship September 7th.

Retail guesstimate or inside info?
Sounds about right. It was going to be September, so I'll take it as early as possible.

Top Bottom