• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Popeck said:
Nah, didn't get to drive the Hog nor use the turret =(

I'd really like to know what was the genesis of jetpack in Halo: Reach. I doubt someone just said "JETPACKS" and everyone just high-fived and started working on it. It brings many design problems with it. However, I liked how it worked in the pre-beta. When you press the button, it won't immediately push you up. It takes a few seconds to warm up and then up you go. Manouvering in the air was surprisingly natural.

Also, if any weapon will get people saying "OVERPOWERED", my bet is on the plasma launcher. It was just so sweet to nail those jetpack dudes or strike people down from the heavens. Of course you could evade or just run to cover since the grenades don't move ultra-fast. Still, explosions ensued.

Ah, thanks anyway about the Hog and keep up the impression post. :D

The plasma launcher has sounded a little "overpowered" ever since they mentioned it, tracks people and vehicles, pretty crazy. I can't wait to use it. :D

MrDaravon

1)HYPE

2)Man, I just got home from work, tons to catch up on. Great job on the OP Ghalelon, blows mine out of the water. Plus now I need to spend hours updating mine :(

3)Looking forward to spending all of next weekend openly weeping and watching live streams (hopefully there will be some/they'll be allowed).

4)I will buy the Legendary Edition because I am a whore and did not learn my lesson last time. At least there's some in-game stuff attached.

5)HYPE

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So the other day I went to go play some Halo 3 multi and I notice that my ODST Campaign disc is missing. Great. Just great.

2 weeks to find it or I'm off to buy a new one. They should put ODST up on Games on Demand, many buys I suspect.

Didn't spot it mentioned, but Brad has his preview up at Giantbomb now.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/halo-reachs-multiplayer-beta-the-important-parts/1965/

Again, be sure to check back next week for a big fat video preview with lots of footage and info on the new modes and weapons, as well as an interview with Bungie multiplayer designer Luke Smith.

We'll also be giving away a batch of early-access Reach beta codes starting next week that will get you in and playing days before the general beta. Keep your eyes open for that!

zumphry

Banned
BladedExpert said:
:lol shit, I only just noticed him now that you mention it. Extra kudos to m0dus!

:lol :lol

He looks so out of place there. Pretty much a "Oh god how did I get here I am not good with battles".:lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
With all of these control schemes people want, am I safe to say the normal controls will be included?

(The ones with A as jump and B as melee)

Thanks

Deadly Cyclone said:
With all of these control schemes people want, am I safe to say the normal controls will be included?

Thanks

controlsbungie.jpg

This is default, from what someone said.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit I shouldn't have sold ODST, I really wanna play this.
I'm more interested in single player & co-op for Reach but it's gonna be sooo good and I feel like I'm missing out. Stupid Snuggler...

Kapura

Banned
Ajemsuhgao said:
controlsbungie.jpg

This is default, from what someone said.
urk confirmed on Bnet that that is NOT the final scheme: for one thing, there will be no night vision in the beta. He said he'll post the "true" default scheme before the beta. Perhaps there will be permutations?
Bumper jumper: you move the melee attack back to b, move the bumper for jumping to right, and keep AA on the left bumper

Popeck

Deadly Cyclone said:

Thanks

Yeah, I think so. I'm not 100% certain since I didn't really care for other schemes than default and BJ. So here's a rundown as I remember it, shame I didn't take any pics:

Default:
RB - Melee
LB - AA
A - Jump
B - Change grenade type
X - Reload/Action

Bumper Jumper:
RB - Jump
LB - AA
A - Change grenade
B - Melee
X - Reload/Action

Recon or something like that:
RB - Reload/Action
LB - Change Grenade
A - Jump
B - Melee
X - AA

Green Thumb
???

I chose the default one even though I changed to BJ last summer. Still, it will be a hard choice between BJ and default. Which one is more important to me: jump or melee? Of course they could still change them. But now, sleep I must.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn that GIF of the Spartan trying to no-scope an Elite is fuckin sexy! We need more shots from first person.

big ander

vhfive said:
1.figure out which one you want
2.quote his post so you can see the links
3.go to your edit profile page
4.?????
5.profit

EDIT: beaten. that's what i get for not realizing we were on the next page
Profit for bungie. For every post you make with a halo avatar, you must pay a fee. PM Urk, he'll take your CC info.
This post is late, Internet crapped out

Flipyap

Kapura said:
[icarus pun about popeck's post]

Lol, oonsk is so good at hiding in plain sight. Er, Mark, not Oonsk. That was his (its?) name in the purchasing screen.
Haha. Oh man, I didn't think of that as an actual name. Love it.

2582cd2.jpg

Mark V.
V... Vandelay?

RefigeKru

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
Please tell me Melee on RB is some sort of temporary experiement? and one of the control layouts is more traditional??

Pretty please?

Being part of the superior race that used bumper jumper, that's exactly where melee needs to be.

Popeck said:
Yeah, I think so. I'm not 100% certain since I didn't really care for other schemes than default and BJ. So here's a rundown as I remember it, shame I didn't take any pics:

Default:
RB - Melee
LB - AA
A - Jump
B - Change grenade type
X - Reload/Action

Bumper Jumper:
RB - Jump
LB - AA
A - Change grenade
B - Melee
X - Reload/Action

Recon or something like that:
RB - Reload/Action
LB - Change Grenade
A - Jump
B - Melee
X - AA

Green Thumb
???

I chose the default one even though I changed to BJ last summer. Still, it will be a hard choice between BJ and default. Which one is more important to me: jump or melee? Of course they could still change them. But now, sleep I must.
Damn. If RB isn't reload on Green Thumb (I love having RB for reload), and even then, I may consider switching button layouts if the placement for the AAs isn't in a good spot. It's going to be interesting. I've been on Green Thumb since mid 2006 I think, and it's been basically the same across all games.
FilthyLies said:
Anyone have any idea about the white sphere on the ground in this picture? It's clearly something that can be interacted with and used, but I really have no idea what exactly it might be.
Plasma grenade.

Kapura

Banned
Flipyap said:
Haha. Oh man, I didn't think of that as an actual name. Love it.

2582cd2.jpg

Mark V.
V... Vandelay?
I like to think Vega, like Vince Vega from Pulp Fiction.

Mark Vega: A continuation of badassery.

urk said:
I warned you mothersuckers months back that we were tweaking the controls!
D:

Super LTTP but Ghaleon, you are a weaver of words!

Also, kiitos to popeck for the pretty awesome info he's been doling out.

Swag

Awesome OP, time to go repurchase ODST to get into the beta. Dunno why I ever traded it in, in the first place :lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
forge in halo 3 was, iirc, implemented quite late into development right? i always thought it was a great idea, but the h3 incarnation was beyond unwieldy and difficult to use. i'm curious to see if forge is DRASTICALLY different and improved upon now that they have had something rough to build on for the past 3 years (by launch). i guess it will be a while before bungie is ready to talk, but i'm being very optimistic in the mean time.

kylej

Banned
Why wouldn't you keep the Halo 3 Bumper Jumper and make that a different control scheme? Bungie's unending defiance of logic is really incredible.

Kapura

Banned
RdN said:
RB to jump is not right, urk! Let it be LB to jump and RB to armor abilities!! PLEASE!
I had thought about that, but then I thought "How will I jetpack and shoot at the same time easily?"

@Filthy Lies, Sage said he made grenades a little bigger this time around.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hydranockz said:
Do you want to shoot with the d-pad?
Obviously not, but with people throwing out all the different control schemes it could easily be fixed my allowing the user to make any button do whatever they want it to do.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Finally caught up with some sleep and now I've like a billion previews to read. Glorious stuff. Again Ghaleon, fantastic job with the OP.

FUD has it's final part of the Backwards From Dawn Halo retrospective up today, feel free to take a gander.

Love the Boneyard Invasion Quicktime 3D, beautiful. The Phantom hanging in the air behind the Spartan looks very ominous.

cazosozey

FilthyLies said:
You sure? That's HUGE for a grenade. Comically so.

Like it would be even bigger than the grenade here (1min40s).

Seriously what is up with that cutscene? I laugh every time.

they are made for the elites comically sized hands

by comically, i mean huge

RdN

Kapura said:
I had thought about that, but then I thought "How will I jetpack and shoot at the same time easily?"

@Filthy Lies, Sage said he made grenades a little bigger this time around.

You make a valid point.. Doesn't apply to my since I'm used to have both the index and midle fingers on top of the control.. Oh well.. guess I'll have to get used to it.

vhfive

FilthyLies said:
You sure? That's HUGE for a grenade. Comically so.

Like it would be even bigger than the grenade here (1min40s).

Seriously what is up with that cutscene? I laugh every time.
its not on the ground. I think its falling from the elite's body

NameGenerated said:
Obviously not, but with people throwing out all the different control schemes it could easily be fixed my allowing the user to make any button do whatever they want it to do.
Obvious to you perhaps. Obvious enough for Bungie to perhaps say, "hey, let's give them many variations of our control schemes, but not let them do silly things like shoot with the dpad". That's he way I see it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
did i hear correctly in the podcast that sage has come up with a fix for "rage scoping" (that is, gripping the pad so tightly that you accidentally click a stick in and scope when not meaning to --- also, see accidental knifing in cod)? if so, and as a huge offender, awesome! urk, or others, can we get a more detailed explanation for how the game can decide when to scope and when not to?

RdN said:
You make a valid point.. Doesn't apply to my since I'm used to have both the index and midle fingers on top of the control.. Oh well.. guess I'll have to get used to it.

I got used to that playing Guitar Hero 3 for a few months using the controller, and from playing Mirror's Edge. But for some reason, I cannot play like that when I'm playing Halo. I have no idea why.

kylej

Banned
op_ivy said:
did i hear correctly in the podcast that sage has come up with a fix for "rage scoping" (that is, gripping the pad so tightly that you accidentally click a stick in and scope when not meaning to --- also, see accidental knifing in cod)?

Yes, sage is rewiring your biological motor skills.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Popeck said:

Hmm well I hope they include the control scheme as it was in Halo 2 (with addition of AA)

Something like
A- Jump
B- Melee
X - Reload
Y- Switch Weapons
RT - SHoot
LT - Grenade
LB - AA
RB - Switch Grenade

Urk, Mancannon, Luke, can you confirm anything?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
op_ivy said:
did i hear correctly in the podcast that sage has come up with a fix for "rage scoping" (that is, gripping the pad so tightly that you accidentally click a stick in and scope when not meaning to --- also, see accidental knifing in cod)? if so, and as a huge offender, awesome! urk, or others, can we get a more detailed explanation for how the game can decide when to scope and when not to?

Yep, that was mentioned. Will be handy for myself, when I zoom in with the Sniper, I occasionally zoom out after a shot due to the way I hold the controller. So I'm welcoming the news.

Top Bottom