• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

I like zooming in on all the detail in the weapons. The little things in this game really impress me. Should get some more from my hard drive before the beta is over.

oops, stupid photobucket.

Bloom is supposed to add randomness. Its a punishment for using a weapon improperly.

Shooting a pistol at insane speeds SHOULDN'T work as well as taking your time with shots.

You still have the option to do it, and a chance that it might work, but your chances go up as you approach a rate of fire consistent with the weapon's purpose.

It's the same principle that Bungie used to keep players from running around no-scoping with the sniper in Halo 3 (fixed from Halo 2), only now its being applied to mid-range weapons as well as that long-range weapon and it's being visualized.

Nutter

UltimaPooh said:
What's with all the junior's getting out of line tonight?
And whats with you policing the thread? Were you around for Halo 3? ODST? no? so STFU.

Bungie leveled the playing field for everyone, there is no supposed skill with the bloom. You getting a random head shot while spamming doesn't make you any better of a player.

Generic said:
Maybe it's because I played halo 3 first and then played Halo CE, but the gas effect made it looked silly to me. The clean cut look of the successors were better.

You guys seem to fear elites a lot in general. I felt they were very cunning and deadly opponents as well, but I never fears the things, especially when they made that hilarious death scream whenever they died by explosion. :lol

Psh. They are evil aliens that are destroying the human race. You are supposed to fear them :p

and for the new page:
250mq6u.png

Red

Nutter said:
And whats with you policing the thread? Were you around for Halo 3? ODST? no? so STFU.

Bungie leveled the playing field for everyone, there is no supposed skill with the bloom. You getting a random head shot while spamming doesn't make you any better of a player.
But timing your shots to reliably land headshots does, and that's the point.

Crunched said:

Arguing that the bloom doesn't make it so veterans are more likely to die from new players is just dumb. The way it is now the new players have a chance to get a hit when under the old system they would not. How is that not making it so veterans cannot dominate as easily? The new system takes skill yes, but at the same time it is allowing new players to get lucky, when before there was less/no luck factor.

im not sure atm on which side i fall under on the bloom debate, just sayin

Ramirez

God, put this thread to rest. :lol

I am enjoying all of the pro tips on bad game mechanics by people who admit they're terrible though.

Nutter said:

Yeah. I was around for those. Sorry I'm not as vocal as you guys about something so stupid as reticule bloom.

What's the solution then? turn down the bloom? turn it off? because that makes the pistol a destroyer of worlds.

Or they have to nerf it and turn off the bloom, then they'd have to tone it down to the halo 2-3 pistol again.

Am I the only one who really likes the idea that a spartan firing a high caliber pistol rapidly in semi-auto can't fire it on the head of a dime a full clip in a row, but has optics that calculate what kind of range the bullets will spray to? I think that's kinda cool.

And I like having to time the shots. Random firing usually doesn't do much but make me have to reload and die.

UltimaPooh said:
I am aware of that.

That's the reason why people are for it and against it.
So far the only people who seem to be for it are people that hardly play Halo. Doesn't seem like a good idea to keep it around when those people won't be playing after a few months.

GhaleonEB

Crunched said:
The problem is, that's only true in limited situations. From close to close-mid range, it is far, far better to trigger spam than to pace your shots. An example: here. I'm working on pacing my shots, and land seven of the eight. But it would have been better for me to unload faster and then get some extras from the next clip in.

Now, that was pistol versus AR. But had it been pistol versus pistol from the same distance, the player trigger spamming would have won. And if both players were doing that, the one lucky enough to land a headshot first would have won. And so the combat from that rage is reduced to trigger spam and hoping you take the other guy out with a lucky headshot - or grenade - first.

At least, that's been my experience. I've been trying pretty hard to understand and work with the system through the Beta, and have even defended the bloom quite often. But I've concluded it's to the detriment of the combat ultimately.

Red

AwesomeSyrup said:
So far the only people who seem to be for it are people that hardly play Halo. Doesn't seem like a good idea to keep it around when those people won't be playing after a few months.
I poured literally hundreds of hour into H1. Hundreds. Thought the series lost its "magic touch" until playing this beta. Been loving it. Haven't had so much fun with a multiplayer shooter in years.

What's especially relevant here is that I've played nearly 1500 rounds of H3 multiplayer and have a solid 1.5 k/d in H2. I guess I can't blame you. Selective info does help argue a point.
GhaleonEB said:
The problem is, that's only true in limited situations. From close to close-mid range, it is far, far better to trigger spam than to pace your shots. An example: here. I'm working on pacing my shots, and land seven of the eight. But it would have been better for me to unload faster and then get some extras from the next clip in.

Now, that was pistol versus AR. But had it been pistol versus pistol from the same distance, the player trigger spamming would have won. And if both players were doing that, the one lucky enough to land a headshot first would have won. And so the combat from that rage is reduced to trigger spam and hoping you take the other guy out with a lucky headshot - or grenade - first.

At least, that's been my experience. I've been trying pretty hard to understand and work with the system through the Beta, and have even defended the bloom quite often. But I've concluded it's to the detriment of the combat ultimately.
I sort of agree with you on the close range pistol v. pistol combat. I disagree in calling it "lucky," though I acknowledge that is a possibility, but obviously my .8 k/d is several inches too short to be taken seriously by the stalwarts of HaloGAF.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
AwesomeSyrup said:
Didn't the lead guy on Halo 2's MP leave? Bungie needs to rehire him before September so he can work some magic.
Gotta implement that BXR and Double/Quadshot yo.
Hell no.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well the headshot hit box is being altered so I'm no worried. My problem with the bloom and aiming was that it looked like I was getting headshots but somehow I wasn't.

Butane123

SonOfABeep said:
What's the solution then? turn down the bloom? turn it off? because that makes the pistol a destroyer of worlds..
I think it would be rather nice to be able to lock the bloom to its most accurate level as an option in custom gametypes.

All in all, bloom doesn't really bother me.

Nutter

Crunched said:
I poured literally hundreds of hour into H1. Hundreds. Thought the series lost its "magic touch" until playing this beta. Been loving it. Haven't had so much fun with a multiplayer shooter in years.

I sort of agree with you on the close range pistol v. pistol combat. I disagree in calling it "lucky," though I acknowledge that is a possibility, but obviously my .8 k/d is several inches too short to be taken seriously by the stalwarts of HaloGAF.
Coming from a guy who has played less then 100 games so far and he apparently likes the game. :lol

feel

Sorry about not inviting you Ghal, past experiences with other gaffers coming into my foreign speaking party and then getting really annoyed fast and leaving after one game plus the fact that I was about to leave after one more game, made me respond in that rude way when you asked for an invite. Sorry, see you online some other time.

Can't wait for some classic Big Team Battle in the final game, with normal weapon/vehicle spawns.

SonOfABeep said:
Would be a cool touch if this displayed your service tag in mp.

Red

Nutter said:
Coming from a guy who has played less then 100 games so far and he apparently likes the game. :lol
I've played 97 games. How many more do I need to become sentient?

I work two jobs and am a full time student. I play in my free time.

GhaleonEB

Nutter said:
Can we stop the litmus test for determining when someone's opinion is valid or not?
Letters said:
Sorry about not inviting you Ghal, past experiences with other gaffers coming into my foreign speaking party and then getting really annoyed fast and leaving after one game plus the fact that I was about to leave after one more game, made me respond in that rude way when you asked for an invite. Sorry, see you online some other time.
No worries, you weren't rude at all. :)

Red

GhaleonEB said:
Can we stop the litmus test for determining when someone's opinion is valid or not?
Thank you.

I like the game, let me enjoy it. I'm not trying to fight with anyone just for the sake of it. We share a common hobby, and I'm not trying to be some sort of fucking messiah here but I'd like to be able to argue a point that ultimately may change the perceptions of someone who currently disagrees. That probably won't happen, but at least don't shit on the fun I'm having.

Tashi0106 said:
Top 3 tools of destruction

AR
Melee
Hammer

Arena. I need it to be more vanilla for Fall. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeee

I kill with what they give me :). My standard top is a dmr at least.

I agree with you haha :((

Tashi0106 said:
Well the headshot hit box is being altered so I'm no worried. My problem with the bloom and aiming was that it looked like I was getting headshots but somehow I wasn't.
Wait, was this in the last BWU? I haven't read that one yet or heard about this change.

Tashi

FunkyMunkey said:
I kill with what they give me :). My standard top is a dmr at least.

I agree with you haha :((

Haha that wasn't a knock on you. Sorry if it came out that way.

Tashi

AwesomeSyrup said:
Wait, was this in the last BWU? I haven't read that one yet or heard about this change.

Yes

Urk said:
In a recent playtest, we picked up on a problem in the way our collision model was calculating headshots. Coupled with rumblings from the community regarding some inconsistencies in the Beta’s headshot capable weapons, we were able to identify an issue that you may have already experienced.

In certain circumstances, explicitly those where you would typically score a headshot in the lower range of the target zone (for the layman, that’d be the face and head region), we’ve discovered that bullets are impacting a few pixels lower than they should, plunging into the chest volume instead of the head. This often allows an unshielded opponent to remain upright after your crack shot should have taken the legs out from under ‘em.

Once again we’re reminded how potent a tool a Beta test can be. Having a teeming horde of ravenous players chew through our game makes identifying these nuanced issues possible. And while you may be gnashing your teeth while reading this paragraph, the good news is that this will definitely be resolved for the retail release in the fall. In fact, it’s already been fixed.

Nutter

GhaleonEB said:

No worries, you weren't rude at all. :)
He is the one that used the poured hundreds of hours argument. But I am done, no need to explain why I hate the bloom to people new to Halo.

Red

Nutter said:
He is the one that used the poured hundreds of hours argument. But I am done, no need to explain why I hate the bloom to people new to Halo.
Does saying this make you feel better or something :lol

_Bro

Banned
You guys and your gameplay mechanics discussion. Oh man, I've been spoiled by thought on the outer reaches of the web compared to this "stuff."

The way I see it, any person who has bitched but then said they're going to still buy it for the campaign is dumb. THIS GAME HAS REALLY BAD DESIGN BUT GOD DAMN, VIDEOGAME PLOTS ARE JUST SO ENTHRALLING.

Spasm

Merguson said:
Bloom vs. Static?
Or maybe Stop and Pop vs. Run and Gun.

While fire-rate reticule bloom doesn't quite make Reach Stop and Pop, it's coming uncomfortably close. Slow down and take your shot carefully? That's never been Halo. Ever. There's plenty o' Stop and Pop shooters on the market. Get that shit out of my Haloz.

The day they go all the way Stop and Pop, adding movement-rate reticule bloom to Halo, is the day I give it up forever.

Voltron64

Spasm said:
Or maybe Stop and Pop vs. Run and Gun.

While fire-rate reticule bloom doesn't quite make Reach Stop and Pop, it's coming uncomfortably close. Slow down and take your shot carefully? That's never been Halo. Ever. There's plenty o' Stop and Pop shooters on the market. Get that shit out of my Haloz.

The day they go all the way Stop and Pop, adding movement-rate reticule bloom to Halo, is the day I give it up forever.
Don't forget to crouch!

EazyB

Banned
_Bro said:
You guys and your gameplay mechanics discussion. Oh man, I've been spoiled by thought on the outer reaches of the web compared to this "stuff."

The way I see it, any person who has bitched but then said they're going to still buy it for the campaign is dumb. THIS GAME HAS REALLY BAD DESIGN BUT GOD DAMN, VIDEOGAME PLOTS ARE JUST SO ENTHRALLING.
The bloom, movement, and jumping really detract from the experience for me, but even then it's good enough to buy. It just doesn't look to deliver as compelling an experience as their previous games at this point.

The plot will probably be miserable like all other Halo games but fighting the AI (elites) with consistently well designed encounters will make for good times. Hell, they may even make Firefight enjoyable this go around.

_Bro

Banned
EazyB said:
The plot will probably be miserable like all other Halo games but fighting the AI (elites) with consistently well designed encounters will make for good times. Hell, they may even make Firefight enjoyable this go around.
Guy, I like you.

Lazslo

Mush said:
:( Would really appreciate this one guys!
Well I rendered the first one before I noticed it was a full game, cost 10 render points opps. Can't do the second one, gotta save some points for myself- Enjoy!

Also, ToyMachine- I rendered these clips for you and sent them to Chap. Nice kills mang.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1336185
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1325016
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1040618
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1332347

Top Bottom