• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Blueblur1

I have yet to listen to the podcast but I have read Dani's summarized list. I'm happy to see read about tweaks but it isn't enough. I still want melée lunge adjusted (as Ghaleon once discussed) and I don't want to deal with the bloom bullshit.

Deputy Moonman said:
Why don't they go back to having to melee someone 3 times for a kill if a person is at full health and shields? This is how it was in HaloCE; it's one part of that game where there weren't any complaints or disagreements, which is quite an achievement. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I considered this too. Three melees to kill. Two to take down shields, and one more for the kill. At least that's what I would expect. But, if(and most likely) they keep a two hit system, I'm sure they'll balance it some how.

So I decided to go back and look through the reach beta files again. I was actually looking at textures, because there's something in the beta that I just..could not figure out how they did.

Anyway, I decided to take a look at the sound files for whatever reason. I can't listen to them, but I can see what they are named.

Only things I've found interesting so far, are these multiplayer gametypes:

sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\action_sack
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\bumper_cars
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\custom_game
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\dogfight
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\fiesta
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\golf
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\grifball
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\hogpile
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\pinata
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\rally
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\rocket_race
sound\dialog\multiplayer\reach\multiplayer_game_types\soccer

Also, something else interesting. Also in the sound file tags, there's a section of tags that says "kimchee_prototype3", and all of the sound files in that particular directory have a prefix loc_, location, a middle section of whatever the map is (sb, for example, is Sword Base), and then a map location. For example:

sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\loc_sb_break_room
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\loc_sb_green_lift
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\loc_sb_green_lift_entrance

There's a ton of these. But those are just locations. What makes this more interesting is that there are tags for "kimchee_prototype2", which are situations.

sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype2\fireteam_needs_help
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype2\fireteam_support
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype2\last_man_standing
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype2\teammate_needs_help

As well as other callouts in the prototype3 section, with vehicles and enemies.

sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\alert_backup
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\alert_holding
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_1foe
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_2foe
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_3foe
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_banshee
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_mauler *note: there have been other mentions of the mauler as well, and in the Halo 3 files, the "Mauler" is actually the Prowler(the vehicle), not the Brute shotgun. Considering these are new sound files..the prowler might be making a return to Halo Reach?
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_manyfoe
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_multitank
sound\dialog\kimchee_prototype3\enemy_multivehicle

The locations are interesting as well. There are more than just the beta maps we've played on. There are:

loc_af(whatever this map is, the sound file names imply that it is on a ship of some sort, and that part of the map is in open space.)
loc_ls(can't make out much from this one. Lots of lifts, walkways, balconies, stairs, etc)
loc_ph(Overlook)
loc_sb(Sword Base)
loc_se(Powerhouse)
loc_sl(very few files on this. All that is mentioned is beachside, bfg, cave, cliffside, covbase, covgen, covside, crack, middle, spartanbase, spartancore, spartangen, and spartanside)

And of course there are plenty of Firefight sounds. Including new ones for Reach(which are all about the generators and which team wins pretty much)

There are also mentions of Fireteams.
fireteam\disable_fireteam_regroup
fireteam\enable_fireteam_regroup
fireteam\issue_directive

Doesn't say it's for Multiplayer, though.

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I thought a lot of this was interesting. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kibbles said:
Any E3 teases in the podcast?
None, sadly. They did mention we'll get to see new stuff. Yep, big exclusive reveal with that tidbit. :lol

Ajemsuhgao said:
So I decided to go back and look through the reach beta files again. I was actually looking at textures, because there's something in the beta that I just..could not figure out how they did.

The locations are interesting as well. There are more than just the beta maps we've played on. There are:

loc_af(whatever this map is, the sound file names imply that it is on a ship of some sort, and that part of the map is in open space.)
loc_ls(can't make out much from this one. Lots of lifts, walkways, balconies, stairs, etc)
loc_ph(Clearly Powerhouse)
loc_sb(Clearly Sword Base)
loc_se(really not sure what this is. It's a human map, but not one we've seen before.)

Sorry for the extremely long post, but I thought a lot of this was interesting. :lol

Just going to point one specific example here of why you should take inferences from those files with a pinch of salt and butt load of whiskey.

loc_ph Is not clearly Powerhouse at all.
loc_se Is human, but we have seen it before. se = Settlement. That's the development name of Powerhouse and most likely internal files that Bungie would use would refer to the map by it's earlier moniker.

Small things like this, just an example, shows you how easy it is to make assumptions and get things wrong. Also, we have been told that there is actually a ton of left over data from Halo 3 in there plus Bungie deliberately filled these files with red herring as they expected folks to go poking around.

Dirtbag said:
Nothing was mentioned about the visual feedback of hitting a shielded spartan.
I really hope they consider adding some more sparks when a rifle weapon strikes an opponent.
The nerfle, pistol, and DMR all lacked the visual feedback that they had any real power when they connect. I really hope this complaint is considered.
I think it would look really awesome (and help the gameplay) if you got some (noticeable) nice sparks popping off the shield when a bullet hit.

Also some bloom or heft to the sword wouldn't hurt either.

THIS.

There were a couple of issues with how it worked, lack of spark for "where" you hit, and sometimes it would not pop, or the pop would be delayed from when the bullet hit, making it hard to count how many shots you had landed, so you could time the head shot.

What was weird was that the AR had a HUGE pop/spark where it hit, but you didn't need any percission, and you were using spitballs with it.

I'm really hoping it get's addressed for the final.

Dani said:
Just going to point one specific example here of why you should take inferences from those files with a pinch of salt and butt load of whiskey.

loc_ph Is not clearly Powerhouse at all.

Except for the fact that it has all of the same locations as Powerhouse? That's why I said it was clearly powerhouse, I had no reason to list things.

Dani said:
loc_se Is human, but we have seen it before. se = Settlement. That's the development name of Powerhouse and most likely internal files that Bungie would use would refer to the map by it's earlier moniker.

Settlement is the name for Overlook. Prototype is the name for Powerhouse. And actually now that I go through them there are some things that I recognize from Overlook. So loc_se, is Overlook.

Gui_PT

Ajemsuhgao said:
Settlement is the name for Overlook. Prototype is the name for Powerhouse. And actually now that I go through them there are some things that I recognize from Overlook. So loc_se, is Overlook.

Settlement is the name for Powerhouse. It was mentioned in the latest podcast

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Prototype = Overlook
Settlement = Powerhouse

Both confirmed, sorry.

Urgh. This game of second guessing the secrets of games based on early beta files is not fun - I always lose. =\

Wish I could have discovered some kind of secret menu that one one else found bursting with tons of secrets like I did during the Uncharted 2 beta. :lol

Gui_PT said:
Settlement is the name for Powerhouse. It was mentioned in the latest podcast

...I had a completely different map open than I thought, you're right. I got those two names mixed up. So loc_se is Powerhouse, and loc_ph is Overlook, somehow.

70_boneyard.map is Boneyard.
20_sword_slayer.map is Sword Base
30_settlement.map is Powerhouse
ff10_prototype.map is the Firefight prototype, Overlook.

Striker

Still hope the Pistol is feasible enough to stand on its own against a Needle Rifle or DMR handler. Previous Halo 2-3 starting weapons didn't have a chance against a Carbine or Battle Rifle wielder.

Kapura

Banned
urk, it's still not on iTunes or the Bnet rss feed. I am now inclined to either believe you are getting sloppy or I ought to blame stosh.

FourDoor

LTTP as usual but man that podcast had so much great information in it!

I really hope that the tweaked player movement and jump height makes a noticeable difference in the game. I'm glad they heard the cries that Reach didn't feel like Halo from some fans and are addressing whatever they can without negating the true intended changes in gameplay that Reach was supposed to bring to us.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Kapura said:
urk, it's still not on iTunes or the Bnet rss feed. I am now inclined to either believe you are getting sloppy or I ought to blame stosh.

Sometimes Apple just takes a while to update podcasts. Have no idea if this is the case in this situation, but having dealt with iTunes extensively in the past this does occur.

LunaticPuma said:
Not worse either.

Well I would say Bungie included it as a tool to help put weapons into niche's, so to be quite honest I think they know it plays worse, but I guess they reason the pro's outweigh the con's. Its not supposed to be a fun mechanic, its just meant to facilitate the gunplay in Bungies vision.

I dont think anyone can argue bloom itself is meant to be a fun mechanic?

GhaleonEB

LunaticPuma said:
Not worse either.
That's a matter of opinion. :p

I think the changes affecting gun play will nerf my objections to it a bit. Specifically, better visibility on the targeting reticule and the larger (correct) headshot hotbox. I'd still rather bloom not be in, but I'm moving from denial to acceptance with speed, especially since nearly every single one of my other issues with the Beta is being addressed in one fashion or another. I still think mêlée needs tweaking in ways other than eliminating the double mêlée, and I was hoping to hear them discuss the spawn system issues. But those two things aside, they're hitting all the things I was hoping would be hit. They're going to make a huge difference in the final game.

Back on board the hype train after a brief detour, toot toot. Bring on Forge, Firefight and Campaign.

Lazslo

Here's the pre-beta list of Podcast Intros I made awhile back, I'll still keep it updated if you guys want to add. Congrats Doodis! It's awesome HaloGaf got on the podcast

HaloGaf Podcast Intros
Tashi
Demoncarnotaur
Letters
Sparks
Kapura
darkressurection
Crunchie Lunchie
Phloxy
Doodis
Still adding new ones...
8uvMR.jpg

Kapura

Banned
Well, iTunes now understands there is a podcast, but won't download it. The reason it gives is (!), which I feel is inadequate explanation.

vhfive

well I started a new map :/
not sure why considering halo 3 is on it's way out and t doesn't help that forging is like trying to build a house of cards with someone continuously kicking you in the balls. I'll post pics later.

true fact I have a notebook of graph paper with maps that im too lazy to forge. I guess I'll be prepared when reach hits

Blueblur1 said:
I have yet to listen to the podcast but I have read Dani's summarized list. I'm happy to see read about tweaks but it isn't enough. I still want melée lunge adjusted (as Ghaleon once discussed) and I don't want to deal with the bloom bullshit.
Halo 3 isn't going anywhere, stick with it?

Dani said:
Prototype = Overlook
Settlement = Powerhouse

Both confirmed, sorry.

Urgh. This game of second guessing the secrets of games based on early beta files is not fun - I always lose. =\

Wish I could have discovered some kind of secret menu that one one else found bursting with tons of secrets like I did during the Uncharted 2 beta. :lol
Sounds interesting, url to post or info? :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Anyone else having problems downloading the podcast from Zune. It shows up but refuses to download. "Download Failed"

I
don't
know
why
you guys have iTunes but I'm hoping someone has Zune.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Diablohead said:
Halo 3 isn't going anywhere, stick with it?

Sounds interesting, url to post or info? :D

I never posted it publicly. I found a second menu with additional options, a list of in-game achievements, features and modes none of which was known or revealed at the time.

I have no idea if anyone else found it but I copied all the information I found manually and PM someone from Naughty Dog here on GAF with it.

Tashi0106 said:
Anyone else having problems downloading the podcast from Zune. It shows up but refuses to download. "Download Failed"

I
don't
know
why
you guys have iTunes but I'm hoping someone has Zune.
I get the same with Zune (C00D133C) which I believe is 'file not found' and Winamp won't even acknowledge that this episode exists.
All the other episodes download fine through the feed so either wait or just get it through FF.

Represent!

Tashi

DiabolicalBagel said:
I get the same with Zune (C00D133C) which I believe is 'file not found' and Winamp won't even acknowledge that this episode exists.
All the other episodes download fine through the feed so either wait or just get it through FF.

Represent!

hmmmmm...It's no big deal actually. I just remembered that I'm going to be traveling for 4 hours tomorrow and Monday so I'll just wait.

KINGS OF LEON SUNDAY BITCHES!!!

Butane123

vhfive said:
well I started a new map :/
true fact I have a notebook of graph paper with maps that im too lazy to forge. I guess I'll be prepared when reach hits
I have about half a dozen that I've been sketching out in a notebook. You're not the only one.

GhaleonEB

Butane123 said:
I have about half a dozen that I've been sketching out in a notebook. You're not the only one.
Same. I think I'll save'em for Reach. I'm really looking forward to Forge 2.0. I still want to build my sky map, which I started and aborted a good half dozen times, including two completed (bad) maps. I hope I can work on it out of the box. :D

AwesomeSyrup said:
Was there any mention of a jump height increase?
Yes. Jump height has been increased some, as was movement speed.

Wolffen

GhaleonEB said:
Same. I think I'll save'em for Reach. I'm really looking forward to Forge 2.0. I still want to build my sky map, which I started and aborted a good half dozen times, including two completed (bad) maps. I hope I can work on it out of the box. :D

Slightly related, quoting myself some pages back:
Wolffen said:
Got a question of Urk/Mancannon: Given the uber-tools the multiplayer team now has to whip up game types on the fly and prototype and test them in short order, will it be possible for Bungie to roll out new game types after launch with relative ease? For example, if someone figured out a way to combine Infection and something akin to Invasion for Grab Bag?

Also, will there be a way for we the players to create those gametypes our selves for custom games without going the honor system route of Halo 2 Infection/Zombies?

I'm very interested to see what Bungie has added to Forge, and I'm really hoping that they will be exposing some of the tools they've used for creating new game types to the players. Would we be able to make something like a "Jailbreak" gametype (as well as the "jails" for it in Forge 2.0), for example?

AwesomeSyrup said:
Was there any mention of a jump height increase?
From a post Dani made a few pages ago summing up the changes mentioned in the podcast:
Dani said:
Speed and jumping - Looked into it. Sage has adjusted it. Faster movement, higher jump. Game feels differant from Beta.

EazyB

Banned
I really don't mind them slowing down the pistol. In my opinion the game would play better if the RoF were all locked down at a slower rate, the bloom was removed, and the game was balanced around these attributes. The thing that undermines all of this is beefing up the AR. Yes the AR was outmatched in the beta but it should have been. It's a spray and pray weapon and those that take the time to learn how to aim should be rewarded for their efforts 100% of the time, at any range.

For fuck's sake please give us the option to remove bloom in custom games.

The AR has no place in higher level play, the sole reason for its existence should be to give newer players a more approachable, less frustrating weapon. When my girlfriend plays Halo 3 I tell her to stick with the AR in BR matches, she's not all that great at aiming so the AR is a more effective weapon for her and has a key role in sandbox. The single gameplay improvement I found in the beta was the ARs role. In high level games everyone switched to the pistol immediately, it was undoubtedly the weapon of choice. When watching my roommate play everyone was running around spraying their ARs everywhere, it was the more consistent and less frustrating weapon for them. Hell, I managed to die 230 times from the AR while dying 350 times against the pistol. They weren't even that unbalanced. The AR doesn't need to be on par with the pistol in any situation to be a worthwhile weapon for the Halo sandbox.

My only other concern was with the statement that the sniper rifle was now more "idiot-proof." To me it sounds like they just made it easier to use and if so that change was totally unnecessary. I found it exponentially easier to snipe in Reach and especially get no scopes due to the games slow ass movement speed. If they bumped up the movement speed it my make it a bit harder but it should be a bit harder anyways.

Seems like they've nerfed AL to the point of making it useless but as someone who used AL 90% of the time I'm glad to see the fucker gone.

Every thing else seems to be at the very least a step in the right direction. Whether or not it's enough to make the game balanced remains to be seen.

EazyB said:
For fuck's sake please give us the option to remove bloom in custom games.

So you don't think there is any possibility that you will adjust to the bloom? I am still hoping that it is just a matter of learning the timing.

Edit: I meant more to where the bloom isn't ruining the experience for him, not necessarily that he is the suck lol.

Kapura

Banned
Captain Blood said:
So you don't think there is any possibility that you will adjust to the bloom? I am still hoping that it is just a matter of learning the timing.
EasyB isn't bad with the weapons in Reach, he's just whinging. Let 'im whinge! He's probably just mad that there'll be no chopper for him to push us around in.

EazyB

Banned
Captain Blood said:
My beef with the bloom didn't lie in not understanding the mechanic. My #1 weapon with more than 1.5k kills was the pistol and that son-of-a-bitch made you feel the bloom more than any other weapon.

I adjusted, at longer ranges I slowed my rate of fire, and closer range I speed it up. I believe I had a pretty good understanding for was RoF would give me the best statistical chance of gunning the other player down. But that's just it, the gunplay, which has been so clean and smooth throughout the entire series, has in many instances boiled down to a significant degree of chance where it was hardly there before. At the same time I gunned down plenty of people by spamming the trigger because I was down at some point during the firefight but got lucky. I was also on the other side of this, spamming body shots then waiting for the bloom to give me a consistent headshot but being gunned down by someone spamming the whole way through.

I really think Bungie's downplaying how much inconsistency and frustration the mechanic introduced. I think most of that is felt at really competitive high level play where it comes down to two players landing shots almost 100% of the time and who dies really is decided on that randomness more time than not. In those social grab bag games the bloom wasn't that bothersome, the other teams needed to be more concerned with getting the reticule anywhere near me more than timing pistol shots better.

Kapura said:
EasyB isn't bad with the weapons in Reach, he's just whinging. Let 'im whinge! He's probably just mad that there'll be no chopper for him to push us around in.
The vehicle balance is so fucked I'm almost glad the chopper's legacy isn't going to be smeared by Reach's vehicle mechanics.

I rather like most of these changes, mainly because the AR is waaaayyy easier to use than the pistol while stoned.

EazyB said:
The vehicle balance is so fucked I'm almost glad the chopper's legacy isn't going to be smeared by Reach's vehicle mechanics.
It's true. Vehicles should at least have a health bar or something.

IZZO

Neo Member
DiabolicalBagel said:

Represent!
I got the same as well.
too bad I was planning to listen to it while I'm driving today.

EazyB said:
My beef with the bloom didn't lie in not understanding the mechanic. My #1 weapon with more than 1.5k kills was the pistol and that son-of-a-bitch made you feel the bloom more than any other weapon.

I adjusted, at longer ranges I slowed my rate of fire, and closer range I speed it up. I believe I had a pretty good understanding for was RoF would give me the best statistical chance of gunning the other player down. But that's just it, the gunplay, which has been so clean and smooth throughout the entire series, has in many instances boiled down to a significant degree of chance where it was hardly there before. At the same time I gunned down plenty of people by spamming the trigger because I was down at some point during the firefight but got lucky. I was also on the other side of this, spamming body shots then waiting for the bloom to give me a consistent headshot but being gunned down by someone spamming the whole way through.

I really think Bungie's downplaying how much inconsistency and frustration the mechanic introduced. I think most of that is felt at really competitive high level play where it comes down to two players landing shots almost 100% of the time and who dies really is decided on that randomness more time than not. In those social grab bag games the bloom wasn't that bothersome, the other teams needed to be more concerned with getting the reticule anywhere near me more than timing pistol shots better.

you've got your logic in that part backwards. The randomness is lessened in halo reach by single shot weapons primarily the DMR vs BR and no longer having a spread. If you want to remove the randomness then you should be pushing for increased damage via shots to the head. If you introduce a mechanic that makes the head the primary target then the player landing the most headshots is nearly guaranteed to win vs the player who get the lucky recoil shot.

Take halo 3 for example, if I spam body shots, and i get the sheild down, there's a chance that my next shot will have a wayward bullet hitting the visor, whether or not I aimed there. Not to mention all halo games have had recoil, reach is the first to show you it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9Bb5Due-g (this looks just as random if not more so then what I usually encountered in reach)

In reach you're now more informed about the likely hood of your shot landing via the new dynamic x-hair. This greatly reduces inconsistency and frustration (cuz knowledge is powah), factor in the ability to pace your shots you now also control the size of said xhair. Reach gives players more control, which at least for me and the majority of the people I played with, lessened frustration.

Ramirez

Kapura said:

But he is bad, I've carried him enough times to know.

That video is dumb, the range at which he is firing is way out of the BRs intended range to be accurate...wat.

Ramirez said:
But he is bad, I've carried him enough times to know.

That video is dumb, the range at which he is firing is way out of the BRs intended range to be accurate...wat.

It is like he is shooting from Fargo amirite?!?

random is still random.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_avk2Gf3Zs

"to test this idea we employed a simple experiment. In the first sequence Nexy aimed for my head: it takes him five shots to kill. In the second, he aims much lower, toward the chest (notice the red dot indicating a "head" shot is still there) and kills me in four shots. This series occurred on LAN, meaning that on XBL it will be even less reliable. Keep this fact in mind when you shoot, especially over medium and long ranges. Aiming lower gives a larger target for the unreliable BR bursts. "

Tashi

les papillons sexuels said:
you've got your logic in that part backwards. The randomness is lessened in halo reach by single shot weapons primarily the DMR vs BR and no longer having a spread. If you want to remove the randomness then you should be pushing for increased damage via shots to the head. If you introduce a mechanic that makes the head the primary target then the player landing the most headshots is nearly guaranteed to win vs the player who get the lucky recoil shot.

Take halo 3 for example, if I spam body shots, and i get the sheild down, there's a chance that my next shot will have a wayward bullet hitting the visor, whether or not I aimed there. Not to mention all halo games have had recoil, reach is the first to show you it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc9Bb5Due-g (this looks just as random if not more so then what I usually encountered in reach)

In reach you're now more informed about the likely hood of your shot landing via the new dynamic x-hair. This greatly reduces inconsistency and frustration (cuz knowledge is powah), factor in the ability to pace your shots you now also control the size of said xhair. Reach gives players more control, which at least for me and the majority of the people I played with, lessened frustration.

Nah Eazy's right...to a certain extent. In Halo 2 and 3, I can shoot 4 shots and if the connection is good and I don't think I've missed my shots, I can turn and look away after the 4th shot knowing that guy is going to die. In Reach, I felt like I had to baby sit my shots. I had to see the guy drop and die to know that he's dead. I sometimes felt like the shot was determined not my where the bullet hit but by the size of my reticule. I was however getting 5 shots pretty often during matches. More so with the DMR for sure.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm pretty excited for this tweaked magnum. I know I'll be 5 shotting people more often with it.

Tashi0106 said:
Nah Eazy's right...to a certain extent. In Halo 2 and 3, I can shoot 4 shots and if the connection is good and I don't think I've missed my shots, I can turn and look away after the 4th shot knowing that guy is going to die. In Reach, I felt like I had to baby sit my shots. I had to see the guy drop and die to know that he's dead. I sometimes felt like the shot was determined not my where the bullet hit but by the size of my reticule. I was however getting 5 shots pretty often during matches. More so with the DMR for sure.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I'm pretty excited for this tweaked magnum. I know I'll be 5 shotting people more often with it.

sounds like you're just more conditioned to halo 2/3 as opposed to reach.

EazyB

Banned
Hopping on to teach an old man his place.

les papillons sexuels said:
random is still random.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_avk2Gf3Zs

"to test this idea we employed a simple experiment. In the first sequence Nexy aimed for my head: it takes him five shots to kill. In the second, he aims much lower, toward the chest (notice the red dot indicating a "head" shot is still there) and kills me in four shots. This series occurred on LAN, meaning that on XBL it will be even less reliable. Keep this fact in mind when you shoot, especially over medium and long ranges. Aiming lower gives a larger target for the unreliable BR bursts. "
I'm hoping these posts have just been extremely subtle joke posts. Both of those videos are laughably bad examples of comparing Halo 3's randomness to Reach's.

In the second video the reticule is pulled up to head level each time he fires. If the reticule is at their head the bullet will go there unless you're at a ridiculously long range like shooting all the way across Standoff. The recoil on the BR is predictable, it'll pull up each time, a good player can anticipate this and compensate for very consistent gunplay. In reach there is a bit of recoil but the bloom expands radially so there's no predicting where your bullet will land with the precision the previous games had.

Tashi0106 said:
Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that I know I'll be losing against AR users more often I'd actually be pleased with the restricted RoF. This means I don't have to worry about pistol users spamming shots off and getting lucking as often. It'll be more like DMR vs DMR firefights where the randomness is less at play.

Striker

Halo 3 BR was not a favorable weapon at first, at least coming from Halo 2's version. It was different going from hit-scan to a spread, and not necessarily a good move. I, like many others, had to adjust, just like people will learn to do for the bloom and the Reach rifles.

Dirtbag

There will be no adjusting or turning on or off bloom in customs.
Such an unrealistic request honestly.

I guess we'll just have to accept that the guns aren't going to be super accurate with an open bloom.
Rather then have the player adjust their aim with recoil (which would allow the same versatility of weapons as bloom), they've allowed you to keep your aim precisely in the same spot - but introduce the recoil in an unpredictable random spray. I don't like it, I never will, but I'll adjust.

Tashi

EazyB said:
Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that I know I'll be losing against AR users more often I'd actually be pleased with the restricted RoF. This means I don't have to worry about pistol users spamming shots off and getting lucking as often. It'll be more like DMR vs DMR firefights where the randomness is less at play.

True. I'm hoping for more gametypes where the AR isn't available.

Top Bottom