• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

So, I don't have much time to post pictures, but I pretty much finished the surrounding Glass Cover walls on my map... and I have 2 Decorative pieces left!

I deleted the roof because I thought it didn't fit in with the aesthetic I'm going for. I'm still thinking of what I could do for the roof. It's so hard to thinking of something that's actually possible :lol.

Retro

If you can read this, I'm on and tinkering around in Forge, XBL is Retrogames. If you send me an invite I'll save, drop out and play-test anything you want. I'll edit this post when I'm no longer playing.

Done for the day, and probably won't be on until tomorrow. Nobody asked!

Retro, Raide, or Time to Kill, or anyone else want to take the lead on hosting customs this sunday? I'm driving from buffalo to NYC so I can't make it :(.

Insaniac

I wanted to post screens of my BTB map, but do I have to upload them to my fileshare to access or can I find them somewhere on bungie.net like in halo 3 w/o uploading them?

Just downloaded 15+ of the maps/gametypes spannin the last 2 pages of here as well as the opening page. I will break them and play the hell out of them tonight at a LAN. Was hoping to see vhfives newest map, the crazy awesome big team one but I will gather as much info as I can tonight.

I really cannot wait to play a lot of these guys! Cheers!

MrBig

Early block out of my next remake project
reach_4247215_Full.jpg

Insaniac

Screens of my beta map "Turnpike" A large BTB map with a focus on vehicular combat but with plenty of cover for infantry to sneak across the map.

I will need some testers as trying to find 15 other people online to test is kind of difficult

Overview:
BTB2.jpg

Base 1:
BTB1.jpg

Base 2:
BTB3.jpg

cazosozey

Insaniac said:
Screens of my beta map "Turnpike" A large BTB map with a focus on vehicular combat but with plenty of cover for infantry to sneak across the map.

I will need some testers as trying to find 15 other people online to test is kind of difficult

Overview:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/SpikyBry/BTB2.jpg[/IMG]

Base 1:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/SpikyBry/BTB1.jpg[/IMG]

Base 2:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b258/SpikyBry/BTB3.jpg[/IMG]

Looks fantastic!

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!

Somehow I saved over my 'saucer' map. I have no clue how it happened. I made sure I selected each map carefully.

It still shows up as 'saucer' under Forge World variants, but when I play it, it's just a blank canvas.

This sucks. :(

-Yeti said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUCKK!

Somehow I saved over my 'saucer' map. I have no clue how it happened. I made sure I selected each map carefully.

It still shows up as 'saucer' under Forge World variants, but when I play it, it's just a blank canvas.

This sucks. :(
Try looking under recent maps. Could be in there. The new save system is a real pain in the ass. Even if you mess with a map and don't save it, unless you go back to the forge menu and choose the right file it'll still load up the map with all the changes. I hate it.

zumphry

Banned
Insaniac said:

I'll be willing to test this. Looks cool.

squidhands said:
Try looking under recent maps. Could be in there. The new save system is a real pain in the ass. Even if you mess with a map and don't save it, unless you go back to the forge menu and choose the right file it'll still load up the map with all the changes. I hate it.

It's not there. :(

Oh man, I guess this gives me an excuse to build it on the ground now.

MrBig

How did you go about making a teleporter switch activated?
Remake looks faithful, its to bad they didn't give us a forgeable chunk of grass of varying hilliness to make maps with.
Azar said:
That's not Waterworks, is it? :eek:
Yes sir it is

timetokill said:
Damn, tragic :( Hopefully building it where you want now though will help in the long run

Yeah for sure. I'm already starting to think that it will actually be for the best. The layout in my head will work a lot better if there's already a floor.

DD-11

I made some small tweaks to Sierra, added a few anti-spawn zones, configured a game type for it, and bundled it in a file set.

I think this ends my work on this map pending play testing & suggestions.

Link: File Set

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wwm0nkey said:
Memento

Also the teleporter is switch activated.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060725123446/halo/images/d/d2/Relic_map.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://oi51.tinypic.com/fldj86.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

nice, been waiting for a relic remake. shame none of the forge world islands would work as a backdrop though

[QUOTE=DD-11]I made some small tweaks to Sierra, added a few anti-spawn zones, configured a game type for it, and bundled it in a file set.

Link:[URL="http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/filesets.aspx?set=6794&pxd=p93rUP$pNX91rUC9oq8r$w%3d%3d"] File Set[/URL][/QUOTE]

cool, sierra is one of my favorite gaf maps, will download.

DD-11

op_ivy said:
nice, been waiting for a relic remake. shame none of the forge world islands would work as a backdrop though

cool, sierra is one of my favorite gaf maps, will download.

Thanks! I've always been a fan of the CTF game type, so I had a lot of ideas. I'm finding my new project, a team DM map, to be difficult to say the least.

GhaleonEB

A video run through of my little project, Crossroads. Finished the geometry and weapon placements today, and will do the spawns and objective markers for Slayer and CTF before GAF customs tomorrow night.

reach_4314766_Full.jpg

If that goes well, I'll finish the other objectives (Assault, Stockpile, Race) and park it up to share.

MrBig

Looks like your map needs more cover Ghaleon. With all the flat spaces theres not much to cover infantry at all.

I'll be sure to get on customs and not go afk this time

MrBig

Yeah, everyone in here needs to tag there maps as 'gaf'. Only me and someone else has so far.
Gowans007 said:
Was there ever an update on Bungie implementing community playlists for the best custom maps & game types?
Mancannon said there was going to be a team looking through maps posted on big community sites (ie forgehub and here) to put in a community playlist and then the best from there will be put into regular matchmaking.

Gowans007 said:
Was there ever an update on Bungie implementing community playlists for the best custom maps & game types?
We’ve already pushed one community map variant through several phases of our internal gut checks and test passes, and it looks like you’ll actually be playing on some sweet community maps before the year is out. Maybe even as soon as next month. (No promises.)
Latest BWU.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Looks like your map needs more cover Ghaleon. With all the flat spaces theres not much to cover infantry at all.
It's deceptive given that viewing angle, but we'll find out soon enough. From the ground there are some long sight lines down the lanes - think Rat's Nest - but the cover and the elevation changes compartmentalizes the map from infantry's perspective otherwise (think of how open Valhalla is when looking from the top down). There are a few areas that might be trouble spots which I'm going to be watching closely on the saved films, both for cover and edge protection for the vehicles. I figure that's what play testing is for. (Mwahaha.)

Retro

MrBig said:
How did you go about making a teleporter switch activated?

It looks like it's hacked in; there's a flipped over mongoose hidden near the switch and flipping it over causes whatever is blocking the teleporter to explode. If you look at the screen shots the switch text actually reads "Press X to flip Mongoose." Not sure how he did it, but it's kind of rough-looking.

DD-11 said:
I made some small tweaks to Sierra, added a few anti-spawn zones, configured a game type for it, and bundled it in a file set.

Link: File Set

I'll take a look at it next time I play and let you know what I think.

GhaleonEB said:
A video run through of my little project, Crossroads.

That's a nice, big map... if it doesn't get into the rotations tonight, are you gonna be on for Sunday's GAFmap testing?

MrBig said:
Yeah, everyone in here needs to tag there maps as 'gaf'. Only me and someone else has so far.

I've been doing it since the beginning too, I thought everyone knew =p

Raide

MrBig said:

I tend to tag mine with neogaf, just makes it easier to find out who my fellow Forgers are. :lol

Ah cool, I'll have a look through Bungie later!

How do you set the designated area of combat in the open Forge World bits. There's a nice little bit I want to use, but it's too easy for people to get around the barriers I set up. So Ideally, I'd like a 'OUT OF BOUNDS' warning to pop up if they try to leave the area I'm forging for them to use.

Havok

Chriswok said:
Ah cool, I'll have a look through Bungie later!

How do you set the designated area of combat in the open Forge World bits. There's a nice little bit I want to use, but it's too easy for people to get around the barriers I set up. So Ideally, I'd like a 'OUT OF BOUNDS' warning to pop up if they try to leave the area I'm forging for them to use.
Place a Soft Safe Area from the Spawn section of the Place Objects menu.

Raide

Someone is really bothering me about so many of the Recommended (Via Bungie.net, not ForgeGAF :D) community maps. They look really nice, yet some suffer with bad slowdown, usually due to people adding way too much detail into a map.

Just had a look at a map called Vanilla and it has some pretty bad slowdown and thats just in Forge. The Map is really pretty but reach really seems to struggle if you use nearly all of your budget to create something. Not sure if its because the engine hates having so many objects in a small space, or if it needs them all spread out to work well.

Are people not noticing slowdown when they build a map? Unless Bungie are patching something to help the engine deal with lots of objects in an enclosed space, Forgers might have to start thinking about saving space to prevent any potential frame drops.

Raide said:
Someone is really bothering me about so many of the Recommended (Via Bungie.net, not ForgeGAF :D) community maps. They look really nice, yet some suffer with bad slowdown, usually due to people adding way too much detail into a map.

Just had a look at a map called Vanilla and it has some pretty bad slowdown and thats just in Forge. The Map is really pretty but reach really seems to struggle if you use nearly all of your budget to create something. Not sure if its because the engine hates having so many objects in a small space, or if it needs them all spread out to work well.

Are people not noticing slowdown when they build a map? Unless Bungie are patching something to help the engine deal with lots of objects in an enclosed space, Forgers might have to start thinking about saving space to prevent any potential frame drops.

I wonder if its because it's still rendering all the unused Forge World in the background too.

Raide

Chriswok said:
I wonder if its because it's still rendering all the unused Forge World in the background too.

They said they had a Level of Detail thing running but it is still being rendered, even if you hide it behind big walls. I would love a big empty space to Forge in. Maybe with a nice space background. :lol

Also, has anyone made any Stockpile maps? I am adding it to my current map but wondering if you have to add some setting to randomly spawn the flags? I have already placed the Goal points and some flags, I don't want them all spawning at once. :lol

Raide said:
They said they had a Level of Detail thing running but it is still being rendered, even if you hide it behind big walls. I would love a big empty space to Forge in. Maybe with a nice space background. :lol

Forge Space - make it so!

I've been tagging with both "gaf" and "neogaf" separately. It seems to find the maps with "neogaf" better, in my experience.

Raide said:
Also, has anyone made any Stockpile maps? I am adding it to my current map but wondering if you have to add some setting to randomly spawn the flags? I have already placed the Goal points and some flags, I don't want them all spawning at once. :lol

I had this same issue when working on Seashell, along with the KOTH and Territories issues.... it seems everything wants to spawn all at once, even if I change the spawn order. I wasn't sure how to fix it.

Anybody have any insight on this?

Raide

I think I have finish Havok. Added (hopefully) Team Slayer (4 Teams) King of the Hill, Stockpile and Headhunter (Not sure about this) Mainly due to the shape, it seems like it suits games where people have to get to a set place and fight/protect.

Hopefully I can get it played tonight at the GAF Customs, since I need some more feedback before I move onto something new. :lol

reach_4504798_Full.jpg

MrBig

Raide said:
I think I have finish Havok. Added (hopefully) Team Slayer (4 Teams) King of the Hill, Stockpile and Headhunter (Not sure about this) Mainly due to the shape, it seems like it suits games where people have to get to a set place and fight/protect.

Hopefully I can get it played tonight at the GAF Customs, since I need some more feedback before I move onto something new. :lol
Ya we should try to get everyones map tried at least once before moving on to the random gametypes

Top Bottom