• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Raide

MrBig said:
Ya we should try to get everyones map tried at least once before moving on to the random gametypes

Dani is hopefully hunting through the ForgeGAF stuff and getting a list of them that we can play with HaloGAF and get them tested :D

Edit: Just played that Terminal remake. Faithful and the Kill Ball Train is awesome. Shame the slowdown is really bad if you look at the middle of the map. :(

Raide

Jroderton said:
Has anyone seen a Beaver Creek Halo 2 remake yet? Love to have that for some customs.

I think there are a few floating around, some better than others. Usually its the tight spawns that mess things up.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I think I'm going to set some guidelines for posting maps here in future. It's really frustrating that folks omit very important information when posting their maps.

Raide

Dani said:
I think I'm going to set some guidelines for posting maps here in future. It's really frustrating that folks omit very important information when posting their maps.

Spawns at the very least should be in. Just because it makes navigating in Forge so much easier if you die. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Raide said:
Spawns at the very least should be in. Just because it makes navigating in Forge so much easier if you die. :lol

No spawns = no feedback. :lol

Seriously though, omitting important things like player count and gametypes supported is pretty bad.

Raide

Dani said:
No spawns = no feedback. :lol

Seriously though, omitting important things like player count and gametypes supported is pretty bad.

Maybe we could also sort out a list of Tag's worth using for the maps. I add neogaf and usually the modes or players it supports.

MrBig

reach_4553796_Full.jpg

reach_4553866_Full.jpg

Middle section is done. I think I'm just going to do one section a day so I don't go crazy. Should be done for customs next week.

I also think that Juicy + Colorblind makes it look much better.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dani
Hill Ground
Players Supported: 8-16 Players
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, One Flag, One Bomb

Akhsihs
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag and Neutral Assault

Nirvana
Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag, Assault, Neutral Assault and more

Mik2121
THE EXTENDED YARD
Gametypes Supported: Assault, Slayer, Stockpile, Juggernaut, Capture The Flag, Headhunter, Oddball.
Players Supported: 8 (4v4)

Mully
Overwatch
Gametypes Supported: CTF
Players Supported: 12 (6v6)

Raide
Q3DM17
Gametypes Supported: Slayer
Players Supported: ?

Havok
Gametypes Supported: ?

Atomski
Falls
Players Supported: 2 (1v1)

GarthVaderUK
Rocket Kart - Block Fort
Gametypes Supported: Rocket Kart - King Battle
Players Supported: 4-16

cazosozey
Sub Base
Gametypes Supported:: Slayer

Koojay
Yoink

Retro
Cistern
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, CTF

Moonpool

vhfive
Gaffer's Delight
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, TS

NOKYARD
Bloody Grifball
Gametypes Supported: Grifball

Shogun PaiN
Jacinto
Gametypes Supported: Slayer,TS, Oddball, Static KOTH and Headhunter
Additional Gametype: Spartans of War
Additional Gametype: Gears Of War Classic

op_ivy
Abrasion

Spire Rocky Ridge

HenryGale
Man Cannon Forever

Definity
Vestal
Gametypes Supported: MultiFlag, Neutral Flag, Assault, Neutral Assault, Slayer (Team and FFA), Headhunter (Team and FFA), Oddball (Team and FFA), KOTH (Team and FFA)
Players Supported: 16 (8v8)

Neuromancer
Monkey Target
Gametypes Supported: Monkey Target

timetokill
Seashell
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Oddball

Chateaux
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Headhunter, Stockpile, KOTH, and Territories
Players Supported: 4-12

droppedbear
Keystone
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, KOTH, Stockpile, Headhunter, CTF, Nuetral Flag
Players Supported: 10

Truine
Gametypes Supported: Assault, CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Territories, Headhunter and Stockpile

Chess
Turkey Burger
Gametypes Supported: Turkey Pro Slayer

Karram
Floating Map
Gametypes Supported: Floating Map Slayer

Everdred
Dreadfalls
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, KOTH and CTF
Players Supported: 6-8

Shake Appeal
Ardis
Players Supported: 6-10

Azar
Skyrace
Gametypes Supported: Skyrace

Klyka
Facing Worlds

Dmorr07
Canals

Dark Cerberus
Longest Yard
Gametypes Supported: Deathmatch

Alaskanbullworm
Survive This
Gametypes Supported: Survive This Race

ZayneH
Fiend
Players Supported: 2-8

Havok
Cliffside
Gametypes Supported: One Flag/Bomb games, Stockpile, Team Slayer, Neutral Bomb, Multibomb/Multiflag, and Team Crazy King

Free-fire
Gametypes Supported: Multiflag/bomb and One Flag/Bomb, as well as Team Slayer

Phaeton
Gametypes Supported: Assault, Capture the Flag, Oddball and Team Slayer

Kapura
Canyon

ckohler
A Bridge Too Far

MrBig
Hopalong

Foxix
Phobia
Gametypes Supported: Boom King

Butane123
Recluse
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Stockpile
Players Supported: 12 (6v6)

DD-11
CTF-Sierra
Gametypes Supported: GT Sierra

GhaleonEB
Crossroads
http://www.notreadyyet.com/wait

Raide

Just updating.

Raide

Q3DM17 (Never really going to be able to finish 100%)
Gametypes Supported:
Slayer
Players Supported: 4

Havok
Gametypes Supported:
Team Slayer (Also KotH, Stockpile once tested)
Players Supported: 8+ (Got spawns for 16, might be a bit mad.)

I also have a small 2v2 map

Death Trap
Players Supported: 2v2

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Keep the updates and corrections flowing and Ill update the list later. There is a lot of unknown data yet to be added so I'd appreciate help removing the question marks.

zumphry

Banned
Fiend should have support for everything but Invasion.

_____

Cliffside:

Needs vehicles, since there's really no use for the Rockets besides occasional rocket kills. A good team can lock the middle currently with the sniper and kick ass.

~

MrBig

ZayneH said:
Cliffside:

Needs vehicles, since there's really no use for the Rockets besides occasional rocket kills. A good team can lock the middle currently with the sniper and kick ass.

~
Theres also no safety or kill volumes if this is the one where blue team dominated with the hog

Dani said:
Keep the updates and corrections flowing and Ill update the list later. There is a lot of unknown data yet to be added so I'd appreciate help removing the question marks.
Ardis actually supports all CTF, but I sort of forgot about that map. Definitely give Sanguine a whirl if you get a chance. It supports everything, obviously.

Repgnar

Dani said:
Dmorr07
Canals

Dmorr07
Canals
Gametypes Supported:Gears of War Classic, Slayer
Players Supported:4-12

Awesome job putting the list together Dani, appreciate it. Haven't had much time to play Reach the past couple days but during class i've been thinking about my next map. Had a dream the other night of an invasion map inside a canyon with walkways along the top. No clue why I had that dream but i'm seriously thinking about messing around with that idea, if not i'm thinking of a mid-size map that can handle a hog.

Kapura

Banned
For canyon, I tagged the file with the supported gametypes and the map description has the recommended players, but for the sake of consolidation: It supports what I consider the standard fare in terms of gametypes (that is all except for Invasion and Race) and from 4 to 12 players simultaneously.

Havok

Dani said:
Phaeton
Gametypes Supported: Assault, Capture the Flag, Oddball and Team Slayer
2v2 or 4v4, sorry, I totally forgot to include that in there (but its in the tags! :))

ZayneH said:
Fiend should have support for everything but Invasion.

_____

Cliffside:

~
Out of curiosity, what would you suggest? The only thing that I could see working is maybe a Ghost spawning somewhere in the middle, and I definitely wanted to avoid having crazy vehicle domination, but maybe a Warthog per side could work.

MrBig said:
Theres also no safety or kill volumes if this is the one where blue team dominated with the hog
Nope, I've got plenty of kill volumes and one big safe volume (there's also no hog on the map).

Updating:

droppedbear
Keystone
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, KOTH, Stockpile, Headhunter, CTF, Neutral Flag
Players Supported: 10

Triune
Gametypes Supported: Slayer, Assault, CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Territories, Headhunter and Stockpile, either team or FFA
Players Supported: 8+ (4 vs 4 seemed a bit empty thought)

zumphry

Banned
Havok said:
Out of curiosity, what would you suggest? The only thing that I could see working is maybe a Ghost spawning somewhere in the middle, and I definitely wanted to avoid having crazy vehicle domination, but maybe a Warthog per side could work.

A ghost per side could work, maybe a Hog in the middle?

So, as some of you may know, I accidentally deleted my 'saucer' map. But never fear! I am remaking it.. this time on the ground and in a better location.

i3tpwm.jpg

30a99xs.jpg

I was looking for a long time for a place I could rest my map on. I found this little area to be quite good. I really like the river running through the middle and the rocks and hills give some nice cover already.

Anyway, find your opinions and give them to me.

Hey You

Also, I urge and beg that if people require custom gametypes to go along with their maps, to please use file sets. Stick both the gametype & map in it. If you took screenshots of the map, Excellent.

It may not necessary for this thread, but if anyone comes across your map in the File Search.

More experenced Forgers, I need to know if I can do these things:

1. Make the Intel to be captured a weapon, such as a Spartan Laser (I'm pretty sure you can, but just in case)

2. Make said weapon only able to be picked up by the attacking team

3. Make the weapon unfireable once picked up.

4. Can I have more than 1 object that needs to be captured to win the final round

5. If 3. and 4. can also be made to apply to vehicles.

I want to do an Invasion match where the Elites have to capture a prototype Spartan Laser and take back a "captured" Revenant (painted green, if possible, and it would be indestructible, although the driver can still be killed), and I want to know if the above can be done.

cazosozey

cazosozey

Sub Base
Gametypes Supported:: Slayer

Sub Base V2
Gametypes Supported:: Supports one bomb, CTF, HH, Infection, oddball, and slayer.

I also have Sub Base 3 in the works, its finished, it just needs to support gametypes. It's completely redone from the ground up and 50% bigger than 1 and 2. (and 75% more submarine!) Will be good for 4-16 players, post a link soon.

And for the lols:
Pig Rodeo
Gametypes Supported:: Pig Wranglin'
Players Supported: 4-16

Millennium Falcon
Gametypes Supported:: none
Players Supported: 1-16

Okay guys, remember -- Sunday night at 4pm PST/ 7pm EST we are going to do our first ForgeGAF customs, where it's all ForgeGAF maps, all the time. We're going to use it as a way to do some testing and give feedback to the forgers :D

If you want to join in on the fun, do two things:

1. Join the ForgeGAF group on XBL (XBL:ForgeGAF) or friend me (XBL: BEARCANO) with a message saying you're from GAF

2. If you've made a map, shoot me a PM with the following info:
- A link to your map + gametype (if applicable)
- The number of players you'd like to test for (ranges okay)
- The gametype you'd like to test for (slayer, ctf, assault, etc -- list them in order of priority)

I'll compile a list of players and maps, and we'll give it a shot tomorrow night. If you don't have a map but you want to help out, that's awesome -- just do option 1 and send me a PM saying you're a tester.

vetrox

Wow, mind blown at how fast you people finish your maps, puts pressure on a man!
My brother borrowed the Xbox over a few days, but after that I'll try to finish the map I've been working on -

nFfz9l.jpg

larger

DkAHSl.jpg

larger

iH9EUl.jpg

larger

The images aren't up to date, but represent the base for the middle of the map. No cover has been added yet, and I haven't started working on the outside of the structure - the main idea there being players fighting in shallow waters, creating cool splashes from bullets and explosions.

The design of the map was originally made for the Marathon series, but I never found an editor for PC. After that I tried redesigning it for Half-Life, and now for Reach, forcing me to think about covers more and adding the entire outside area. It might play somewhat similar to Epithat, but that's just a feeling.

The tricky part is that the three arms of the structure have 120° between them, making it hard for me to use the Edit Coordinates feature for the X/Y axes - I align everything by hand :(

I hit the object limit on Building Blocks fairly early on, so I've been going over a few places again to save parts. I hope the center bottom isn't too tight, and that my top floor doesn't feature too many blocks mashed together!

So far I've been calling it Trinidad for some reason, but after thinking about it and realizing what it looks like from above, I might go with Nuke and Pave instead (yeah, stolen from M2 ) :)

Raide

Yay! I have made another Slayer map. :lol

Currently WIP, just setting the layout first and then adding the other bits, like more cover. Basic spawn is in but that is about it. Working on a SWAT map 2v2 (possibly) so its a very tight symmetrical map. Used the indoor space for once, instead of making it float around in the sky. :lol

reach_4692407_Full.jpg

-Yeti said:
So, as some of you may know, I accidentally deleted my 'saucer' map. But never fear! I am remaking it.. this time on the ground and in a better location.

i3tpwm.jpg

30a99xs.jpg

I was looking for a long time for a place I could rest my map on. I found this little area to be quite good. I really like the river running through the middle and the rocks and hills give some nice cover already.

Anyway, find your opinions and give them to me.

Looks like a good small frantic slayer map. Be mayhem with Oddball!

vetrox

-Yeti said:

How many degrees did you rotate each glass cover from the next?

Retro

As far as my two maps are concerned... yank both of em off the list, since I'm redoing Moonpool and Cistern needs a spawn/weapon/gametype overhaul. I'll definitely not be uploading Moonpool II until it's tested properly tonight.

Right now, I'm ready to start on the other half of the weapon spawns and then begin putting in player spawns.

Out of curiosity, other than a hard kill boundary, is there any other kind of object I can use to keep players out of an area without it being visible? I left the roof over Red Base open to save some pieces (and keep it's gorgeous visuals), but I don't want jetpackers going too high. Right now I have a Hard Kill boundary, but it seems like a really brutal lesson, especially without a soft kill boundary below it (no room, or people jumping on the structure would get warnings). Just curious, the map isn't really designed for jetpacks anyways.

Havok

Have you tried a one-way shield door? It's not exactly invisible, what with the orange lines and all, but it's more transparent than a wall, at least.

MrBig

Retro said:
Out of curiosity, other than a hard kill boundary, is there any other kind of object I can use to keep players out of an area without it being visible? I left the roof over Red Base open to save some pieces (and keep it's gorgeous visuals), but I don't want jetpackers going too high. Right now I have a Hard Kill boundary, but it seems like a really brutal lesson, especially without a soft kill boundary below it (no room, or people jumping on the structure would get warnings). Just curious, the map isn't really designed for jetpacks anyways.
Don't use hard kill boundaries anywhere inside your map. Just fill it up with soft boundaries.

Unlike my Headlong remake I'm going to keep this one as close to waterworks as I can. I have a port of it to Halo CE that I can use the debug cam to fly around in. Unfortunately it has some wacky tactical weapons mod so I had to go in Halo 2 and find all the weapon placements in the actual map. I made a top down drawing for weapon placements for when the map is done and I've destroyed my budget in advance with all the weapons so I know I'll be able to place them. Also got all the weapon and vehicle spawn times from the Halo wiki.
reach_4715323_Full.jpg

Only change as of now (besides equivalent weapons) is the middle sniper rifle will be a focus rifle and the banshees will be falcons. Also without the final side paths being exactly like the original yet, a warthog run around the map is 8 seconds shorter than the original (32v24), so its about the same size but not quite.

I'm really going to try my hardest to get this right and attempt to get it into matchmaking, It really needs some good, proven btb maps.
Ghaleons map should be pushed through to mm quickly if possible

Retro

Havok said:
Have you tried a one-way shield door? It's not exactly invisible, what with the orange lines and all, but it's more transparent than a wall, at least.
Yep. It's a large space though, so it's not quite effective. I also tried the Grid object.

MrBig said:
Don't use hard kill boundaries anywhere inside your map. Just fill it up with soft boundaries.
The area I'm trying to block off is basically the ceiling of a large room that I want to keep open to the sky, but I don't want jetpackers climbing on top of the structure. I've tested the height from all over the map, and the only way to really jetpack up to that height is to hop onto the roof of a covered walkway and jet straight up. It's not something normal jetpackers should encounter unless they're trying to climb on top of the Red base and pick people off.

I think I'm going to just use the hard kill boundary. I think getting detonated by the Hard kill will be enough to teach people not to try and climb out of the map.

Anyways, I wrapped up weapon placement and spawning for 4v4 Team Slayer, which is how we're gonna test Moonpool 2 tonight.

MrBig

Retro said:
Yep. It's a large space though, so it's not quite effective. I also tried the Grid object.

The area I'm trying to block off is basically the ceiling of a large room that I want to keep open to the sky, but I don't want jetpackers climbing on top of the structure. I've tested the height from all over the map, and the only way to really jetpack up to that height is to hop onto the roof of a covered walkway and jet straight up. It's not something normal jetpackers should encounter unless they're trying to climb on top of the Red base and pick people off.

I think I'm going to just use the hard kill boundary. I think getting detonated by the Hard kill will be enough to teach people not to try and climb out of the map.

Anyways, I wrapped up weapon placement and spawning for 4v4 Team Slayer, which is how we're gonna test Moonpool 2 tonight.
Put a pic up so I can see what you're talking about.

NH Apache

Banned
So I think I have found a way for my Goldeneye Temple remake to still work. I only recently discovered the Coliseum walls, which are currently saving my ass. If only I could double the quantity of objects for structure, this would be easy peasy. My dollar budget is awesome still (sitting at 9300ish left) but the object quantity is restrictive.

Anyways, this map is going to rock. I'll take some pics later. It will definitely be a BTB map.

I think I might do a bunch of Goldeneye remakes (facility, Stack). I think they can be adopted to be great Slayer maps.

Raide

NH Apache said:
So I think I have found a way for my Goldeneye Temple remake to still work. I only recently discovered the Coliseum walls, which are currently saving my ass. If only I could double the quantity of objects for structure, this would be easy peasy. My dollar budget is awesome still (sitting at 9300ish left) but the object quantity is restrictive.

Anyways, this map is going to rock. I'll take some pics later. It will definitely be a BTB map.

I think I might do a bunch of Goldeneye remakes (facility, Stack). I think they can be adopted to be great Slayer maps.

I have done Temple and Stack actually. They are in my Fileshare if you want to check them out. Nice to see some people going for classic GoldenEye remakes. :D

NH Apache

Banned
Raide said:
I have done Temple and Stack actually. They are in my Fileshare if you want to check them out. Nice to see some people going for classic GoldenEye remakes. :D

Awesome. I'm downloading now to take a look.

Looking at your fileshare: Damn dude, you've spent a crapload of time in Forge, huh?

Raide

NH Apache said:
Awesome. I'm downloading now to take a look.

Looking at your fileshare: Damn dude, you've spent a crapload of time in Forge, huh?

Yeah...way too much. :lol :lol

Retro

MrBig said:
Put a pic up so I can see what you're talking about.

I'll do you one better... two pics:

iy0u9x.jpg

This is a view from above and outside the area; the red line represents approximately where the hard kill zone starts. In order to reach it, you need to jetpack from inside the red base (where the red starting markers are at), from on top of the glass enclosed bridges (one isn't visible but is behind the wall at the bottom of the picture), or from a man cannon-accessible door (located just under the red light object). You can't reach it with any kind of normal jump.

syp3xh.jpg

Same room, same corner, but from down within the play area. Again, the red line represents the approximate location of the kill zone. It looks low, but that's the idea; I don't want a soft kill zone because it would have to start pretty close to where the kill zone is now. That gives anyone 10 seconds to jump up onto the Red Base's roof, take potshots, jump down and jet back up to restart the kill timer. I've seen quite a few maps where people duck in and out to abuse soft kill zones.

Ideally... I'd like to just have an invisible ceiling that jetpackers would hit and not be able to go any higher. Baring that... the kill zone is a harsh lesson, but that's what you get for trying to exploit a map's design.

Oh, and as a side note, anyone who's played Moonpool should see that this is pretty wildly different (and much better) than the original Red base... the access points and distance mirror the blue base much better now.

Raide

Retro said:
Ideally... I'd like to just have an invisible ceiling that jetpackers would hit and not be able to go any higher. Baring that... the kill zone is a harsh lesson, but that's what you get for trying to exploit a map's design.

You could always build the map as high as possible, since the invisible wall would keep them down, without the killing but the Soft Kill works well as they at least have chance to repent. :lol

Top Bottom