• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Retro

Raide said:
You could always build the map as high as possible, since the invisible wall would keep them down, without the killing but the Soft Kill works well as they at least have chance to repent. :lol

Except I'm out of Colosseum walls and Building Blocks... Even if I weren't, I'm rabid about aesthetics... I want that particular location open to the sky. That's why I'm not crazy about using the Grid or One-way Shield doors.

I don't honestly see anyone going Jetpacking on this map. The design is very similar to the original Moonpool, which is borderline claustrophobic. This is the most wide-open area in the entire map, and as you can see it's kind of cramped and has a lot of cover.

NH Apache

Banned
Raide said:
Yeah...way too much. :lol :lol

I like the layout of your temple, but I'm going for more of a traditional look (more closed in, etc.)

WTF is with the random exploding hog?!! hahahah

Raide

NH Apache said:
I like the layout of your temple, but I'm going for more of a traditional look (more closed in, etc.)

WTF is with the random exploding hog?!! hahahah

Fall off and find out. :D

Yeah, it gets really hard to build the map and then try and enclose it in. Always run out of bits :(

MrBig

That's really too close to the map and would harm gameplay for it to be a kill barrier, two seconds on a jet pack and you're dead. Put a soft kill barrier there as a warning and then a hard kill barrier right above it so people at least have a warning.

Retro

MrBig said:
That's really too close to the map and would harm gameplay for it to be a kill barrier, two seconds on a jet pack and you're dead. Put a soft kill barrier there as a warning and then a hard kill barrier right above it so people at least have a warning.

Oh, absolutely. There is a soft kill barrier in position now, a little lower than the first. It gives about two seconds of warning though. You can see the two skull icons in the first picture.

Since it looks like it might be a problem, I may see what kind of decorative items I can toss on top of the base to make it a little taller, then kick the Hard Kill zone up a bit, as you suggest. I already killed a little slowdown in that area by moving the Light object, so I've got a little room to grow. Maybe another level of the glass chamber will do nicely.

Raide

Well, I am finally working on a larger map thats not a symmetrical Slayer map. :lol

Playing around with other gametypes, settled on 5-Plots with some odd things. Capturing a plot gives you 2x Overshield and Camo...downside, you loose your Armour Abilities while you stay in the Plot.

Still playing around but I have the basics set out. Here is a early WIP pic of the map, called Hillamonjaro. :lol

reach_4765185_Full.jpg

Might work, might scrap it and move on. :D

Edit:

When it comes to Vehicle BTB maps, what vehicles do people like and why?

Working on a BTB ForgeGAF map, just getting a view of what vehicles people like and dislike.

Kibbles

This has got to be the best Hang em High Remake I've seen. http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/107512-high-noon.html
And here's a map based off Two Betrayals - http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/107612-two-betrayals.html
And here's a cool looking vehicular space combat map - http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/107619-slip-space-engagement.html
And another original map that looks good, not sure how it plays "The Reactor" - http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-competitive-maps/107682-reactor.html

ElRenoRaven

Ok so I may not be the best but I wanted to forge this area of Forgeworld since I saw it. This map currently supports slayer and team slayer and is a work in progress. I hope to make it work with other gametypes eventually.

So here is a link to the map. The Hilltop (WIP)

The spawn points and weapons are my rough pass. Since these aren't my strong suits any recommendations in this area are appreciated. Keep in mind I did not want a lot of power weapons so you won't find a sniper rifle but you will find a rocket launcher on the map. This allows you to keep the warthogs in check assuming your team controls the rocket launcher. I also kept it natural. I didn't want a lot of structures and other things on the map because I felt the area just worked with it's natural structure.

Any other vehicles seen can't be gotten to and are purely there for decor. And here are some links to screenshots for those who would like to see a couple before downloading.

Screenshot overview of base layouts

Blue Base

Red Base

Neutral Base

Again feel free to leave feedback. I really need it on weapon layouts and spawn points.

Retro

PsychoRaven said:
Any other vehicles seen can't be gotten to and are purely there for decor.

I added your map to my queue, will look at it next time I'm on and not busy (I'll be on tonight for ForgeGAF customs, but I think we'll all be busy unless this gets tested), but out of curiosity, how did you lock out the other vehicles? Just put them on the pink team or something?

A reminder: in 30 minutes we're going to try doing some ForgeGAF customs!
Thanks for the PMs, I'll be sending out invites in a bit.

Right now our playlist looks like this:

4 players
Q3DM17 -- slayer

8 players
Moonpool -- slayer
CTF-Sierra -- GT-Sierra (CTF)
Château -- slayer

12-16 players
Headlong -- 1 bomb
Triune -- multi CTF

If you want your map tested, join in! If you are present when we're testing maps then your map will get priority.

ElRenoRaven

Retro said:
I added your map to my queue, will look at it next time I'm on and not busy (I'll be on tonight for ForgeGAF customs, but I think we'll all be busy unless this gets tested), but out of curiosity, how did you lock out the other vehicles? Just put them on the pink team or something?

That was easy. They are outside of the playable area. Some falcons are on the other location behind red base. Then the gap over by blood gultch has 3 Wraiths there. Then the island over on the other side across the water are 3 banshees.

So they can't be gotten to before your timer runs out and you die. Also just to be sure I put instant death zones around them. lol

Retro

timetokill said:
A reminder: in 30 minutes we're going to try doing some ForgeGAF customs!

Gonna log on and make some last-minute changes to Moonpool II as soon as I'm done posting this.

PsychoRaven said:
That was easy. They are outside of the playable area. Some falcons are on the other location behind red base. Then the gap over by blood gultch has 3 Wraiths there. Then the island over on the other side across the water are 3 banshees.

So they can't be gotten to before your timer runs out and you die. Also just to be sure I put instant death zones around them. lol

Ah... that wouldn't work for what I had in mind.

While I was designing Moonpool II, one of the ideas I tried for the Red Base was a huge vehicle depot. The idea is that you're on some kind of huge naval ship (I know, lol at water travel when you have spaceships), with one end being the Moonpool for aquatic deployment and the other being a huge cargo bay full of vehicles and crates. One side of the room is open to the outside where the bay doors have folded down and outward to serve as bridges, and you can look out and see warthogs and a scorpion already deployed. All of the outside stuff was safely behind barriers so it was all eye candy, but I wanted to have a bunch of non-drivable vehicles inside to serve as cover / structure.

I'm toying with the idea for a full-fledged map, just wondering if that's something you can do without resorting to making vehicles off-team specific.

Also... there's this concept I'm tinkering with...
27zax6f.jpg

Not a Donut :lol.... those little sperm-with-legs? Those would be Banshees. Not sure if I'll flesh it out, but... maybe.

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Ok so I may not be the best but I wanted to forge this area of Forgeworld since I saw it. This map currently supports slayer and team slayer and is a work in progress. I hope to make it work with other gametypes eventually.

So here is a link to the map. The Hilltop (WIP)

The spawn points and weapons are my rough pass. Since these aren't my strong suits any recommendations in this area are appreciated. Keep in mind I did not want a lot of power weapons so you won't find a sniper rifle but you will find a rocket launcher on the map. This allows you to keep the warthogs in check assuming your team controls the rocket launcher. I also kept it natural. I didn't want a lot of structures and other things on the map because I felt the area just worked with it's natural structure.

Any other vehicles seen can't be gotten to and are purely there for decor. And here are some links to screenshots for those who would like to see a couple before downloading.

Screenshot overview of base layouts

Blue Base

Red Base

Neutral Base

Again feel free to leave feedback. I really need it on weapon layouts and spawn points.
I don't know how much you added, but the version I downloaded had maybe two pre-made building placed on it and nothing else. Spend some more time on it. I'm sure a great map can come out of that area.

ElRenoRaven

Retro said:
Gonna log on and make some last-minute changes to Moonpool II as soon as I'm done posting this.

Ah... that wouldn't work for what I had in mind.

While I was designing Moonpool II, one of the ideas I tried for the Red Base was a huge vehicle depot. The idea is that you're on some kind of huge naval ship (I know, lol at water travel when you have spaceships), with one end being the Moonpool for aquatic deployment and the other being a huge cargo bay full of vehicles and crates. One side of the room is open to the outside where the bay doors have folded down and outward to serve as bridges, and you can look out and see warthogs and a scorpion already deployed. All of the outside stuff was safely behind barriers so it was all eye candy, but I wanted to have a bunch of non-drivable vehicles inside to serve as cover / structure.

I'm toying with the idea for a full-fledged map, just wondering if that's something you can do without resorting to making vehicles off-team specific.

Also... there's this concept I'm tinkering with...
27zax6f.jpg

Not a Donut :lol.... those little sperm-with-legs? Those would be Banshees. Not sure if I'll flesh it out, but... maybe.

Yea. I really wish vehicles could have phasing options and options to lock them out from everyone so you could use them for scenery. I so wanted to put a couple of crashed banshees in the clif wall and maybe a hornet crashed into the ground at one point. It would have given people landmarks they could call out and find their way around easier.

As it is I still need to decorate it a bit more for sure. I've already changed the bases colors to that of each team minus the neutral which is set to yellow.

JimmyBoy

Run Lola Run v1.0
Supported Players: 2-16 (6+ recommended)
Supported Gametypes: Neutral CTF (custom variant recommended)

File Set: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileSets.aspx?player=Jimmy775

The idea behind this map and associated gametype was to create some fun base vs base back and forth combat as well as some incredibly tense snatch and grab CTF fun. When the flag is taken the carrier receives 150% run speed, turns purple and his shield stops regenerating. The most direct path is strait up the center of the map - up the ramp, through the tunnel, down the other side and booking it over the bridge that will probably feel endless when 4 to 8 people are all going to be gunning for you. A final grav lift ensures both a fashionable victory and one last opportunity for you to be gunned down.

If the flag carrier has already gotten up the ramp the other team still has 2 "lanes" in order to try to take out the flag carrier as well as a "kamikaze man cannon" for a last ditch effort to stop a score. You'll die but you might stop the flag carrier at the last second. Windows you can shoot through but not fit through below the ramp also ensure the nearby Rocket launcher will get some use to stop flag captures.

Jet packs are disabled in the custom gametype so as not to invalidate the terrain.

Honestly, I haven't been able to play test this with any of my usual buddies and especially with this gametype, I think finding the balance between how hard it is to capture vs how hard it is to stop a capture is crucial.

Any constructive criticism would be great appreciated.

reach_4713137_Full.jpg

reach_4713175_Full.jpg

reach_4713226_Full.jpg

reach_4713247_Full.jpg

reach_4713274_Full.jpg

ForgeGAF customs are done for the night! Thanks to everyone who showed up... we were running between 4-7 players the whole time so we didn't get to do any of the BTB stuff. But we did get some good play time in on some other maps!

Playlist:
- Slayer on Moonpool
- Slayer on Q3DM17
- Dodgeball! on Globo Gym American Corp.
- Gladiators on Quadrant
- Slayer on Château
- Slayer on Ardis
- T-800 Infection on Overlook
- Classic Slayer on Moonpool
- SWAT on Moonpool
- Classic Slayer on Death Trap

Testers:
IX G4ME OVER XI
Retrogames
BEARCANO
TaK3n 0v3r 360
Nintony 64
Raide UK
Miles Wideshaft

Hopefully next time we can get a few more and get some bigger teams. Thanks a ton to everyone who joined and tested. Some really amazing maps by ForgeGAF!

Retro

Customs were GREAT tonight. I kind of monopolized things with multiple games on Moonpool, but I got a ton of feedback. I saved the last two games to view later, just to see if there were any other issues. Overall, a great night. Here's some feedback for the maps we played:

This was fun, but maybe a little too long. It went up to 50, could have ended at 30. Really fun. Somebody mentioned adding the ability to jump if you go on a spree, and if that can be done that'd be GREAT... because you'd have the ability to see over the dividing wall but also become a more visible target. Can't evade when you're in mid-air too. Overall, fun.

- Gladiators on Quadrant
I had a smile from ear to ear on my face during this entire match. It was fun as fuck and everybody had a great time goofing off. A great example of a simple map with an interesting concept being a total blast. It's definitely something that should be slipped into GAFCustoms just to lighten the mood, because everybody was laughing their asses off through the entire thing.

- Slayer on Château
This is a GREAT map, and it has a really great feel to it. Open, but lots of interesting angles. It feels a little too big for the 7 people we had, but I'm not sure it's big enough for a BTB. Weapon placement was great, map design was stellar. This needs to be in GAFCustoms as well.

- Slayer on Ardis
(I dropped out during this match to drop some random spawn points into Moonpool and make a few minor corrections so we could properly test it.)

I'm not so sure about this map/gametype. It seemed like the entire match was just everyone taking potshots at the "Terminator" and then ducking out of sight when he turned on them. The map may be too big for this type of match. I also think the Terminator's shields are waaaaay too high (we started to wonder if it was even possible to kill him at one point).

Things were a bit too green too, but it was an interesting map with some real potential.

- SWAT on Moonpool

Thanks again to everyone testing out the second iteration of Moonpool. I noticed some slowdown in one of the central rooms and it was nice to see that my design concepts worked out; people migrated to the points I figured they would. A few weapon changes, a minor tweak or two, and I think Moonpool will be ready for a wider testing release. I do want to get some more game types in there because it was easy to see how insane CTF would get.

Very interesting map, a few little hitches (Mancannons aimed at teleporters that are easy to miss, a few platforms that you stumble over, etc.). Shows a lot of promise though, and it was amazing to see how the map directed everyone right towards that middle ground.

Again, great night. Gonna spend tomorrow tweaking Moonpool in anticipation for next weekend's Testing Night. We need more people though!

Retro

Forgive the pun, but... that Cliff map has a really spartan design. If it works, that's great... but it looks like you've slapped a couple bridges into the existing terrain.

Sorry I couldn't make it to customs, but timezones will make it probably hard for me to test as a group. I am up for random testing most of the time when I am on however so if interested just send a message to my gamertag (droppedbear) if you see me on and want some testing/or are just doing customs and I should be able to join unless I'm already doing something else.
Look forward to hopefully playing some great maps in the future

kai3345

Banned
Retro said:
Forgive the pun, but... that Cliff map has a really spartan design. If it works, that's great... but it looks like you've slapped a couple bridges into the existing terrain.
That's pretty much all it was. I thought the area would be a great slayer map but I added some bridges to make moving around the different levels easier and some rocks to cover an easily turret-campable spot.

Retro

droppedbear said:
I am up for random testing most of the time when I am on however so if interested just send a message to my gamertag (droppedbear) if you see me on and want some testing/or are just doing customs and I should be able to join unless I'm already doing something else.

I'll send a friend request and keep an eye out for you. Feel free to PM me if you need something specific.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Busy fuckers. :lol

So many more maps to add and update. Sorry about not making the ForgeGAF meetup, I was busy with a new map.

Where is the feedback from the meetup? I was expecting a few detailed writeups for the mapmakers. =\

From HaloGAF Reach Customs on Saturday, we had almost five hours of solid playing exclusively on ForgeGAF maps. I've got plenty of feedback to give here shortly.

Again, I'll update the list shortly.

Raide

timetokill said:
ForgeGAF customs are done for the night! Thanks to everyone who showed up... we were running between 4-7 players the whole time so we didn't get to do any of the BTB stuff. But we did get some good play time in on some other maps!

Playlist:
- Slayer on Moonpool
- Slayer on Q3DM17
- Gladiators on Quadrant
- Slayer on Château
- Slayer on Ardis
- SWAT on Moonpool

Hopefully next time we can get a few more and get some bigger teams. Thanks a ton to everyone who joined and tested. Some really amazing maps by ForgeGAF!

Some feedback from the Customs last night.

Slayer on Moonpool
Nice map, still a touch of slowdown in places but the pace is pretty frantic. Seems to suit team-slayer better, since it can be easy to camp the rocketspawn. :lol I love the little details around the map but it does seem that people spend more time with the mancannons than with the actual moonpool.

Classic slayer was fun but SWAT was actually really good. The man-cannons do give away your position but it always fun to figure out which one they used.

Slayer on Q3DM17 I should have checked with AA's, since people stayed alive with jetpacks and managed to land on the floor. :lol I will have to add some kill zone for it and it should be ok.

Dodgeball! on Globo Gym American Corp.
Utter insanity but good fun. Really basic map layout but the idea works well. Would be interesting to see a map with a larger field, some cover and maybe some higher sections.

Gladiators on Quadrant
Again, insanity all the way. Basic map but loads of fun. Like the Sumo games from Halo before but way more hectic. Not really much to change!

Slayer on Château
I am a big fan of Château. Nice layout, nice pacing, good supply of weapons and the man-cannons at the top always seem to attract attention. Reminds me of Quake maps, where the noise of something triggers an alert, so I know someone is pretty close. Seems perfect for Slayer variants.

Slayer on Ardis
Ardis is simple in layout but leads to some nice combat flow. While the cover is there, you are never that safe, since people spawn all around you. I find it especially fun using the Hologram. :lol

T-800 Infection on Overlook
It was only after I died that I figured out what was happening. :lol Might work better as Juggernaut, since its odd for the announcer to talk about Zombies at the start.

Classic Slayer on Death Trap
With a few tweaks, I should finally finish this map. :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Some feedback, more later tonight, maybe.

Hillside

Level design promotes one side over an other because of how one base has a hill directly in front overlooking the front of the opposite base.

The base on the hill is particularly badly laid out with walkways and platforms leading into walls or nowhere in particular. It feels cramped and confusing.

The walkway along the cliff is too open and players are usually dealt with quickly due to the positioning of the level being higher as players can five downwards on folks walking across.

The man cannons on each base are underwhelming - the amount of distance traversed using them is only incrementally longer than walking or sprinting with the same time frame.

The middle area's cover is too narrowly disturbed and hus it feels more open than it probably should.

The random spawns seem entirely non-functional as everyone always seems to spawn inside the base over and over again and generally the spawns needs a more wider distribution.

Dreadfalls

Interesting layout but feels a bit cramped. Spawns need attention as there is a severely limited amount on the level.

Flows well with interesting give and take despite the layout being rather pedestrian.

Free-Fire

Walkways and rooms with too many dead ends. Feels overly compartmentalised.

The middle structure focuses the entire flow of the game into control of it, leading to a constant back and forth shootout. Quite uneventful.

Despite the size and cramped feeling, the spawns worked very well with a nice spacious placements with decent cover.

Overwatch

This map needs serious attention. Is it supposed to be one sided or something? I couldn't tell. The bases are completely different and terribly unbalanced. The back base has rocks which are easily exploited and is wide open despite the cover so vehicles usually run rampant.

Weapon placement favoured the cliffside base team also and seemed to put the back base at a severe disadvantage the entire time.

The overall layout is very weak and the combat doesn't flow through of the level at all rather it gets centred quickly around the back base and not much else.

The spawns are terrible. Just a few at each base - the repeated spawn killing wasn't fun to endure and having the entire team high in the rocks, with a height advantage, with all the power weapons - including the sniper. And vehicles pushing into too.

The map is simply broken in it's current state.

======================

Early preview of Nirvana Version ?:

vallea.jpg

Retro

Raide said:
Slayer on Moonpool
Nice map, still a touch of slowdown in places but the pace is pretty frantic. Seems to suit team-slayer better, since it can be easy to camp the rocketspawn. :lol I love the little details around the map but it does seem that people spend more time with the mancannons than with the actual moonpool.

Classic slayer was fun but SWAT was actually really good. The man-cannons do give away your position but it always fun to figure out which one they used.

Thanks for the feedback.

Slowdown:
I've isolated the slowdown to the central area (the "Armory") and I think it's a combination of multiple weapon spawns (There's 4 ARs in that room, plus 4 grenades... it IS an armory, after all) and the red light directly above. I had some problems with the red light causing slowdown in the red base, so it could honestly be that. Maybe I'll switch it to green to make that central area more 'moody' than 'hazardous'.

Rocketspawn:
I'm thinking I'll put the shotgun up where the rockets are now (it can probably do a lot more damage in those narrow mancannon approaches anyways) and kick the rockets down to the doorway between the Armory and the junction of the Purple & Green pipes. That will put the rocket spawn in LoS for the red base approach (so you can pick off someone with rockets from outside of that chokepoint) and the two very sudden approaches from the blue base will keep whoever runs at the rockets on their toes. It'll also increase the time it takes for either team to reach it (since you can't launch yourself at it from directly below the bases).

Mancannon Spam:
That's why the rockets are where they are, and why I want to keep some kind of power weapon up in that area. the only approaches are from both of the mancannons or from beneath in the armory. That's three approaches to watch in a really nasty, narrow section of the map, and even though you can hear the mancannon launches, the pace is frantic enough you never know which direction it's coming from. Staying up there is supposed to be risky, and both exit points have zero cover to boot.

When I get some CTF games going in there, the top will get a lot of people trying to flag run through it, but the exposure should lead to a lot of last-second carrier kills (and a ton of people trying frantically to grab/recover in the exposed pools.)

Thanks again to everyone who tested the new Moonpool, gonna review the games from last night, test that bottom corridor for elite height, make some weapon changes, change the armory to reduce the slowdown and set up better respawn points. Then it's multiple game types.

Edit: Nobody was going for the Concussion Rifles that spawn right behind the Mancannons either, I even tried to position them so the orange would stand out. I may have to make them more visible somehow or position them in an easier-to-notice location.

Raide

electricpirate said:
wow Dani, that's some thorough feedback!

Can I add my map to a fileset from b.net or do I have to do it in game?

Either way, here's the link to my map Bounce [\b] http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3761666&player=electricpirate

Map size: small
Players: 2-8
Gametypes supported: CTF, Slayer, HeadHunter, Stockpile

The forerunners built this floating symmetrical platform to test their crouch landing timing.

Downloading. Will pop up some feedback shortly.

Raide said:
Downloading. Will pop up some feedback shortly.

It's actually the same one we played that CTF game on last week, I was just popping it up to make sure Dani had it in his list :). Though, I never did get your feedback from the CTF game ;).

Raide

Another WIP map called Trapped. Trying to make a larger scale map for Team Slayer or 1-Flag CTF.

reach_4919092_Full.jpg

1 hog and 2 mongooses per team. 6 Initial team spawns each, plus respawns dotted around. No weapons yet but just putting some more cover in.

I seem to be making far too many maps. Might need to get Bungie Pro. :lol

Raide

electricpirate said:
It's actually the same one we played that CTF game on last week, I was just popping it up to make sure Dani had it in his list :). Though, I never did get your feedback from the CTF game ;).

Few bits. Love the layout, the sniper works well as a focal point for the teams to head for. From the Blue spawn, the ramp up towards the sniper needs tweaking to the side a little. Also, the ramp that leads over to the Concussion Rifle, the box underneath needs tweaking for alignment. I would be tempted to either alter the direction of the ramp, or just add 2 ramps that criss-cross each other.

A few texture flickers but not much you can do about those in some places. Just have a run through again to make sure things are nice and straight, don't forget the continued colour coding too. Making one side all blue or all red helps with the symmetry.

I would be tempted to take out the small barrier that is on the left and right of the map. Its pretty easy to just hop over, so removing them would prevent that but also focus people on either taking the high road or the low road. It also adds a bit more danger from people dropping off. :lol

A few of the respawn points are facing walls. This is always a little annoying. Spawn them in cover is fine but you always get that second or two of "WTF? Where am I?"

Hopefully this help a bit more. Really good map, look forward to playing it in customs more.

I have run into a small problem with my map... It's too small for what I wanted to achieve.

It becomes a splatter-house full of explosions and melee kills. It seems to work well with 1v1, but I wanted this map to support 4v4. :(

I will still finish and post it, but for now it's pretty much a dream gone wrong. :lol

I am working on a new BTB style map now. It's more my style, so I'm gonna go all out on the design. Expect a floating map sort of like Ghaleon's Crossroads, but the layout will be a lot like Standoff.

-Yeti said:
I have run into a small problem with my map... It's too small for what I wanted to achieve.

It becomes a splatter-house full of explosions and melee kills. It seems to work well with 1v1, but I wanted this map to support 4v4. :(

I will still finish and post it, but for now it's pretty much a dream gone wrong. :lol

I am working on a new BTB style map now. It's more my style, so I'm gonna go all out on the design. Expect a floating map sort of like Ghaleon's Crossroads, but the layout will be a lot like Standoff.
Make it a central part of a larger map, kind of like a preserve aquarium in a Forerunner site. Keep the dream alive!

NH Apache

Banned
squidhands said:
Are they set to gametype specific?

The game may also be loading up an earlier version of the map.

Yup, they all have the label hh_drop_point loaded up under Headhunter Forge. There is another one that just says headhunter. I wonder what that one does.

NH Apache said:
Yup, they all have the label hh_drop_point loaded up under Headhunter Forge. There is another one that just says headhunter. I wonder what that one does.
That's for any object other than the drop points that you only want to have show up in Headhunter.

As to your problem, it's pretty strange that they don't show up. Did you double-check the drop points to make sure they're still there? I placed some stuff that was specific to one gametype over the weekend, only to have it all vanish the next time I fired up the map. Fortunately it was only starting spawns and a camera, so I didn't lose a ton of work.

Just throwing out suggestions.

NH Apache

Banned
squidhands said:
That's for any object other than the drop points that you only want to have show up in Headhunter.

As to your problem, it's pretty strange that they don't show up. Did you double-check the drop points to make sure they're still there? I placed some stuff that was specific to one gametype over the weekend, only to have it all vanish the next time I fired up the map. Fortunately it was only starting spawns and a camera, so I didn't lose a ton of work.

Just throwing out suggestions.

Yeah, they are still there in forge. The problem isn't that they don't show up; the problem is that the game says the map isn't prepped for the variant. It won't let me load it.

Funny story: I set up CTF on the map and couldn't figure out why the blue flag wan't showing up. Screded with it for about 40 minutes. Finally figured out that there were no blue players, hence no blue flag. Switched teams and tada. Sonafabitch.

In other news, on this particular map, I think I have about 10 hours into it. 9.5 was mostly geometry and setting up killzones. It will be a BTB map and I do have 16 neutral spawns, and 8 and 8 red and blue.

1 last question: I have 20 neutral respawns around the map. When playing BTB Team slayer, the game will automatically choose to spawn a blue player at a spawn near a blue player, right? I don't need to dictate blue respawn or red specifically, correct? (Although I have for Team CTF)

Just wanted to show off a single flag CTF map that I'm working on, but haven't quite finished yet. I've got the basic layout down, just need to add cover, decorations, weapons and spawns (aka the important stuff).

Where the flag is located, flag carrier escapes via mancannon and lands on the orange landing pad:
reach_4916453_Full.jpg

Blue Base, defenders, flag capture point:
reach_4916429_Full.jpg

Red Base, attackers, landing pad for the other mancannon:
reach_4916392_Full.jpg

Central Area, only access point to the flag room via a mancannon:
reach_4916389_Full.jpg

I did have a question. For cover, should I actually add any or is the landscape good enough?

I haven't made any maps before so right now I'm spending a good 30 minutes debating weapon spawn times >_>

JimmyBoy

koshunter said:
Just wanted to show off a single flag CTF map that I'm working on, but haven't quite finished yet. I've got the basic layout down, just need to add cover, decorations, weapons and spawns (aka the important stuff).

Where the flag is located, flag carrier escapes via mancannon and lands on the orange landing pad:

Blue Base, defenders, flag capture point:

Red Base, attackers, landing pad for the other mancannon:

Central Area, only access point to the flag room via a mancannon:

I did have a question. For cover, should I actually add any or is the landscape good enough?

I haven't made any maps before so right now I'm spending a good 30 minutes debating weapon spawn times >_>

Join the club - first time making maps. Really, the only way you know how long the spawns should be is with playtesting. I found out real quick on another map I made that the rocket launcher needed to have a longer respawn time because during testing the same guy just repeatedly was able to have the thing the whole game. Generally, I would say >45sec respawn on power weapons unless you have some kind of arena map going on and you want everyone to have one. Heck, i think my rocket launcher on the map I posted is at 90sec.

Oh and from the screenshots you posted - I would say that some sandbags/boxes here and there couldn't hurt. Some areas are rather sparse. The standard halo "you both run at each other shooting each other in the head and then melee when you're close enough; may whomever saw each other first win" thing is only broken up by cover and grenades (which you'd use when people have cover). I may be oversimplifying but there ya go. Cover makes things interesting and provides more opportunities for mind-games and strategy.

Retro

Man, I've had a hell of a frustrating morning. I've been trying to set up Moonpool II for CTF.

Flags are spawning / returnable, no problem. What keeps happening is, the second player isn't respawning where he's supposed to. I've read just about everything on spawning at Forgehub and Bungie.net, and I'm no closer to solving my problem.

Here's the issue. I've got Anti-spawn zones up (Anti-red at the blue base, Anti-blue at the red base) but for some reason it keeps ignoring the anti-spawn zones and putting Red players on the blue flag, for example. The spawn it keeps dropping them at is Neutral.

In addition, the neutral spawn points I've established specifically for CTF are ignored, even though I've placed them within a Hill Marker designated as CTF_RES_ZONE and set to either blue or red appropriately, in an area I want players to respawn when their flag is home (i.e. if you're killed defending your flag, you don't respawn right back next to it).

The CTF_RES_ZONE_AWAY zones,which I've team-coded and placed at the respective bases, which is where I want players to spawn when their flag has been taken, blue for blue base and red for red base (i.e. if your flag has been taken, you respawn at your base instead of somewhere in the middle of the map.)

I'm not sure if it's because it's because I'm testing it with two players (using two controllers) or what, but for some reason it wants to ignore my RES_ZONE and drop the player onto 3 specific spawn points (1 at each base and 1 that's in the middle but out of the way).

It's driving me insane and I can't make heads or tails of why it keeps spawning players in the enemy base. I thought Anti-spawn zones meant "This color never spawns here ever", yet it seems to be doing just the opposite.

I'd love to see the little item description box actually put to good use, to actually tell you what the hell objects do. I know you need this level of complexity to have any kind of meaningful depth, but for something users are supposed to interact with it still seems shockingly archaic.

Kuroyume

Banned
Took a look at Titan the Colossus remake and wow it's neat what they were able to do with Forge. It's too bad that the famerate is complete ass, the grav lift sucks, and it looks ugly. The lack of moving conveyor belts also sucks. That's one of the bad things about remakes iin Forge. You can't replicate the moving parts of the original maps.

NH Apache said:
Yeah, they are still there in forge. The problem isn't that they don't show up; the problem is that the game says the map isn't prepped for the variant. It won't let me load it.

Funny story: I set up CTF on the map and couldn't figure out why the blue flag wan't showing up. Screded with it for about 40 minutes. Finally figured out that there were no blue players, hence no blue flag. Switched teams and tada. Sonafabitch.

In other news, on this particular map, I think I have about 10 hours into it. 9.5 was mostly geometry and setting up killzones. It will be a BTB map and I do have 16 neutral spawns, and 8 and 8 red and blue.

1 last question: I have 20 neutral respawns around the map. When playing BTB Team slayer, the game will automatically choose to spawn a blue player at a spawn near a blue player, right? I don't need to dictate blue respawn or red specifically, correct? (Although I have for Team CTF)
I'm at a loss for what could be the matter. Let us know if you ever figure it out!

Yes, the game should be able to tell where the safest place to spawn for the neutrals. So far I've noticed that you'll usually spawn close to a teammate with a power weapon as long as he's not engaged in combat.

Top Bottom