• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Hey Forger's any interest in arranging some customs around map testing?

Also, Are there enough of us here to deserve a clan tag in case we want to find testers/random forgers?

electricpirate said:
Hey Forger's any interest in arranging some customs around map testing?

Also, Are there enough of us here to deserve a clan tag in case we want to find testers/random forgers?

I've been begging for this for ages :D Let's do it. Maybe a night later this weekend? I'm nearing completion on my next map and I'd love to get some play on it.

Raide

timetokill said:
I've been begging for this for ages :D Let's do it. Maybe a night later this weekend? I'm nearing completion on my next map and I'd love to get some play on it.

Well, if we can get a list of maps we want to try, we can set up some ForgeGAF customs.

I'm getting on in 10 minutes if anyone wants to try, just send a message to electricpirate if you want to try running a few maps (I have some gaffers downloaded, and I want to run mine again).

Raide

electricpirate said:
I'm getting on in 10 minutes if anyone wants to try, just send a message to electricpirate if you want to try running a few maps (I have some gaffers downloaded, and I want to run mine again).

I will hop on if you need some people to test.

Azar said:
No Pauly Shore plz

Don't worry. He will only exist in Easter Egg form. :p

Retro said:
Sadly, there are no plants in the Forgeworld kit.. but you could use rocks to make it a 'natural' area.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that there isn't any sort of plant to place in Forge. It would make this map so much better. Rocks will have to do though.

I'm glad you guys are liking this though. I really can't explain how I made this. The only thing I can really tell you is that I had the rotation snap at 5 degrees, and I had to place each piece pretty carefully. It wasn't that hard to make, it only took my about 40 minutes to complete what I have so far.

I am going to resume Forging in about an hour, so afterwards I will post an update. :D

DD-11

I made some changes to Sierra. I removed the sniper towers, built a low, backdoor entrance to the base, and moved the flag to the lower level. Since the mountain top isn't in play anymore, I was able to free up some rocks and give attackers more cover, and defenders opportunities for surprise.

Here's the new overhead. I added a large rock at the center of each base. Attackers can climb the rock and gain access to the base with a jump to the upper deck. I also added a side rock wall to prevent too many falling deaths:
reach_3804981_Full.jpg

Here's a look from the back of the base with a look at the backdoor:
reach_3804916_Full.jpg

This is where the path branches for the attacker. The far corner can conceal a defender from view until it's too late.
reach_3804913_Full.jpg

EDIT:

Link (file set): File Set

And here's a link to some other pics from the map (post above):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23559244&postcount=521

DD-11 said:
I made some changes to Sierra. I removed the sniper towers, built a low, backdoor entrance to the base, and moved the flag to the lower level. Since the mountain top isn't in play anymore, I was able to free up some rocks and give attackers more cover, and defenders opportunities for surprise.

Here's the new overhead. I added a large rock at the center of each base. Attackers can climb the rock and gain access to the base with a jump to the upper deck. I also added a side rock wall to prevent too many falling deaths:
reach_3804981_Full.jpg

Here's a look from the back of the base with a look at the backdoor:
reach_3804916_Full.jpg

This is where the path branches for the attacker. The far corner can conceal a defender from view until it's too late.
reach_3804913_Full.jpg

EDIT:

Here's the file share:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3804922&player=Doub1e Down

I didn't get a chance to play the previous version but this one already looks better. Gonna give it a download tonight or tomorrow night.

Retro

-Yeti said:
Yeah, it's pretty sad that there isn't any sort of plant to place in Forge. It would make this map so much better. Rocks will have to do though.

You'd have to move your entire dome, but in theory you could pick an area on the map that already has some trees growing on it (I think there's a few places, especially on the cliffs around Blood Gulch) and build your map around them. Even if it's just a flat area at the center of your dome, it could give the illusion that you're in a biodome or something.

cazosozey

Pig Rodeo
A map variant built for a custom game type:
Pig Wranglin'

Put yer pig wranglin skills to the test. The object of the game is simple, ride the pig the longest. Avoid the explodin barrels and yer fellow rodeo clowns. Best played with at least 6 rodeo clowns.

screenshotny.jpg

screenshotij.jpg

Link to File Share

enzo_gt said:
Kind of a useless post without pictures, but me and a few friends are currently working on 2fort. Its going to be awesome. Someone already made a 2fort, but its far more disproportioned than the one I'm making. There's already a TF2 (FFA) gametype available on my fileshare though, and the description is wrong. You can choose between Demoman, Scout, Spy, Sniper and Medic classes (Preferences set to Spartan). I'll be updating and reupping the gametype when I fix a few tweaks and release the 2fort map.

Get the gametype here. Any good tutorials out for Forge yet regarding the object limit and improvisation? 2fort is running low on everything D:

I also will test any 4-6 player maps for people, since I play a ton of local MP.

How far are you guys? I've yet to test the TF2 gametype out but I have it queued to download on my 360 and I would love to play any map from TF2 really.

zumphry

Banned
cazosozey said:
Pig Rodeo
A map variant built for a custom game type:
Pig Wranglin'

Put yer pig wranglin skills to the test. The object of the game is simple, ride the pig the longest. Avoid the explodin barrels and yer fellow rodeo clowns. Best played with at least 6 rodeo clowns.
Link to File Share

I have to see this. Sounds hilarious.

ckohler

Here's a couple of template maps I made. I haven't uploaded them because I'm not even sure if anyone here would find them useful. If so, let me know. They both are extensions to the Coliseum space.

Volume

Made almost entirely out of "Decorative" pieces and even then, there are still over 14 left over. It doubles the size of the Coliseum space and looks cool. It only used 6 wall pieces and 15 buliding blocks, leaving you with a lot of options for expansion. It does eat up more budget though, leaving only $5490 remaining.

volume01.jpg
volume02.jpg

volume03.jpg

The Box

A less elegant structure, this way more than doubles the size of the Coliseum both in width and in height. It's so big, it even has ramp access to the Quarry above. While the left-over budget is a high $9420 left over, it only leaves 5 wall pieces remaining to build with.

theBox01.jpg
theBox02.jpg

theBox03.jpg

Just having a play around with CTF-Sierra by myself to have a look at the map. (Pretty sure I downloaded the latest version but if things have been fixed ignore them) Was spawning randomly around Forge-World when during a FFA slayer so was wondering if you had any non-team initial spawns in place?
Had fun rock jumping which could possible be abused if you include oddball or infection to get into a few nooks and crannies up the top near the 2 dishes.
For the low tunnel leading back to the base as an elite you have to crouch to enter it but can then run normally while a spartan can just enter without crouching so may be worth increasing the height of the roof just minutely if possible. Also have to crouch again at various points, i think it has to do with wherever the block finishes.
Also spawning as an Elite under the ramps at Red base have to crouch to leave the spawn point.
Really like the map and look forward to actually playing a game on it rather than just running around on it. Keep up the good work.

Edit: Also when I die after picking up shotgun/rocket launcher they stay in the mid-air.

Kapura

Banned
If weapons stay in mid air after death, they were set to either Fixed or Phased in the object settings. You'll have to correct that, as they also become impassable barriers, aside from just floating in midair.

DD-11

I fixed the 'fixed' weapons and the soft kill zone in the dish. It's not a slayer map, wouldn't really work as one, but I threw a couple neutral spawns in there anyway because that's just the kind of guy I am.

I didn't really consider elites. Or any other game types. I figure I'll eventually expand the map to incorporate other gametypes. I just want to get feedback and make CTF work well first.

Thank you everyone for downloading and giving me your feedback. It's come a long way in just a couple days because of it.

Here's the latest link:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3886506&player=Doub1e Down

Havok

So, I decided to try to remake a Halo 3 Sandbox map that I made way back when, just to see how the new tools influenced what I would be able to do (and the ease of doing it). I'm extremely pleased with the result.

Halo 3 Phaeton:

68547119-Full-1.jpg

I really enjoyed the basic design, but putting together ramped tunnels and getting decently flat surfaces was impossibly frustrating, and in the end, it just didn't live up to what I had hoped to create, like most Halo 3 Forge maps.

Halo: Reach Phaeton:

reach_3880807_Full.jpg

This shot is to show basic structure, but primarily as a sense of just how much more sophisticated the editor is in Reach. It's insane how quickly and easily this came together, but even more, the tools gave me a bit of a creative spark, so it turned into more of a "reimagining," as much as I hate the term. Simple mancannons were added for ease of movement, and overall sightlines were improved majorly, as were several key structures.

reach_3881056_Full.jpg

The base structure is simple, so as to not clash with the design of the central area, which is fairly spartan (get it?).

reach_3880881_Full.jpg

The lower level holds two mancannons on each side, one a direct line to the enemy's landing pad, the other to the elbow structure. This serves a dual purpose: to improve ease of movement across the levels of the map, while decreasing the number of ramps I'd have to use, because they're still kind of a pain in the ass. The lower level has a sniper for each team, with a single spare magazine, and a grenade launcher, which seemed useful given the corridor-ish nature of the base structures.

It's set up for all modes of Assault and Capture the Flag, as well as Oddball and Team Slayer.

I'm much more satisfied with the Reach version, and regardless of whether it plays well or not, I'm glad that the tools are there to make this process so much easier.

So here's a link to Phaeton, and as always, I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm trying a new system for placing spawns, so any details on if it works well or not would be extremely helpful.

It's weird how the two Sandbox maps I made for Halo 3 took weeks to get to a finished state, and I've already pumped out three in less than a week (Cliffside (BTB asymmetric), Free-Fire (2v2/4v4 symmetric), and now Phaeton (2v2/4v4 symmetric), just because the tools are such an improvement.

I'd love to get in on whatever customs you guys have to test the great community maps that have popped up, just send me a friend request- GT: Havok CXVII

Raide, a few friends and I got some games in last night. Generally 3 vs 3, or 6 man FFA.

We started on my map bounce http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3761666&player=electricpirate with CTF. Good news: Spawns worked, and were actually pretty good :)

Bad news, standard CTF is problematic, Probably need to play a 2 flag fast variation with instant return, otherwise the sight lines and quick movement make it nearly impossible to return a flag. MLG flags variation might work really well.

Next we popped onto one of raid's maps, Death Trap, for some FFA. It moves really fast, and is pretty fun. Sight lines for miles, really fast movement, and a few power weapons. If you are looking for a 2 vs 2 map, you could do far worse. Some of the mancannons needed tweaking, but mancannon-> teleporter jumps will always be fraught with peril.

After that we played Moonpool. Moonpool is probably one of the prettiest custom maps I've played, but it has some issues. There was major framerate drops in the central room, and the rocket respawn times were way, way, way way too fast. One guy was just capming the passageways with what seemed like infinite rockets.

We finished off with a game on Ardis. Lovely sightlines on that map, it's very open, but gave enough seperation for decent 6 man ffa. I really like the placement of the sniper rifle personally, it's a cool risk vs. reward, leaving you exposed to get some nice snipes. My only complaints were that it went a little heavy on the glass, which made a lot of fights a little weird, knowing exactly where they were, and that some of the cover was just a bit wide, I couldn't seem to get a grenade in place after dropping a guys shields.

I have finished constructing my second map and would appreciate some feedback and maybe a round or two played on it sometime in customs (hopefully I'll be able to play customs this weekend.)
I present Triune, a largish 3 tiered map for primarily team games but also supports some FFA. Currently have set it up for Assault, CTF, KOTH, Oddball, Territories, Headhunter and Stockpile. Download from here
reach_3906467_Medium.jpg

I've set up with two bases at either end with three different pathways between the two bases. Each base contains a sniper rifle (at A) and a pro-pipe (at B) within the confines of the base a few other assorted weapons (DMR/Nerfle/PP) also present. The teleported transports from point 1 down below up to point 1 (bad naming system by me) on the raised platform.

reach_3906465_Medium.jpg

The top passage is got to my the teleporter in the base and then a mancannon and contains a Focus Rifle (Point 2). Can also get to the top level from a mancannon on the bottom level.
The "ground" level is a rock garden using rocks to provide cover with the large seastacks designed to be jumped up to gain some height and in the centre of the raised platform is an Energy Sword (at A)
reach_3906497_Medium.jpg

The Basement level (unable to take a good picture) connects the two bases via 2 parallel bridges with cover and obstructions to limit the line of sight. This level contains a Rocket launcher and 2 shotguns (one near each man cannon). The man cannons propel the user back up to the top level.

When jumping down have to be careful as incorrect jumping can lead to death/injury if not careful. My main concerns are how the game flows (primarily for CTF/Slayer/Assault) and whether the weapons on the map are properly balanced and if the spawns suck/are good. Haven't been able to fully test it but the map will probably be too big for 4vs4, I'm thinking the sweet spot will likely be 6 vs 6 but hopefully some testing can find this out.

NB. Sorry about the dodgy paint pictures.

Also I have updated my old map to include some improvements. Keystone, Download Here, is a map designed for up to 4 teams, based on a reimagining of Foundation. Let me know what you think of either map and thanks for reading this much text.

Came across a pretty incredible Colossus remake, called Titan. Whole writeup about it here.

titan5.jpg

The pictures really don't do it justice. I goofed around on this a couple of days ago and it's about as faithful of a remake as you can get.

squidhands said:
Came across a pretty incredible Colossus remake, called Titan. Whole writeup about it here.

titan5.jpg

The pictures really don't do it justice. I goofed around on this a couple of days ago and it's about as faithful of a remake as you can get.
Instant download. Thanks! Please let us know about any more super faithful remakes!

wow @ colossus. Forge world palatte even works perfectly for it! I loved the flow of the original, but hated the sniper, should play great with Reach's sandbox.

First double experience weekend should be a map remake weekend, some of these are just fantastic.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I never experienced any framerate issues, but I only hopped around on it with the author and one other person. Hopefully it won't be bad like some other FW maps that I've seen.

Raide

I enjoyed the customs with ElectricPirate, it was good to jump into the ForgeGAF maps and do some playtesting. We should make it a regular thing, since feedback is what will keep the community improving. Nothing worse than making something and nobody says anything. :lol

Hopefully we can do some more this weekend. Make up a list of 10 ForgeGAF maps and test them with 16 players.

Helznicht

Just spent several days working on a large scale CTF/TF style map. Only to run into a huge roadblock, the flagbearer cannot ride in the Falcon? Please tell me if im missing something or a setting? 2 bases set up on seperate plateau's, forcing air combat and personel movement to get to the enemys flag, but I cant see a way to fly the flag back home.....

Retro

electricpirate said:
After that we played Moonpool. Moonpool is probably one of the prettiest custom maps I've played, but it has some issues. There was major framerate drops in the central room, and the rocket respawn times were way, way, way way too fast. One guy was just capming the passageways with what seemed like infinite rockets.

First, thanks for checking it out. I'm glad to hear people think it's pretty, I spent a lot of time (and objects) on making everything smooth, getting poly tears eliminated, etc. ManCannon's post in the OP has me seriously considering whether I want to try and build something new or focus on making Moonpool the best it can be (even if it means starting from scratch and rebuilding it to be more practical or efficient).

There's not too much I can do about the framerate in the Moonpool room, though in my latest build I've removed the ammunition crates and barriers to try and cut down on the problem. Hopefully that can bring the complexity of the chamber down a bit.

The respawns on weapons are completely borked, I'll look at them in my next pass. I've also got to go in and set up various matches since it's only working with Slayer at the moment. I'd like to get territories, CTF and Assault AT LEAST.

I'd also like to change how the armory and upper level are joined. Right now, you have to make three jumps kind of blindly to get up top, and in a firefight that's insanely impractical. There's not enough room for a ramp or mancannon currently, so I may make a few changes... or just take the basic layout and 'reboot' it.

I tinkered around in Forge this morning to try out a few new ideas I've been thinking of and I'm sorry to say that they're either too expensive, too impractical, or just not very interesting. However, as I was experimenting I DID come up with a fairly novel concept that I'm going to explore further. I'll let you guys know what I'm up to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
pretty sure you can set the option *somewhere to have the flag carrier ride in vehicles. someone else can likely point you exactly where.

i have a forge question as well. i'm trying to set up one of my maps for 1 flag ctf, but it tells me that the map doesnt support that game mode. i placed a flag stand at one base and assigned it that team color, and the return marker at the other base assigned to their color. what am i doing wrong or what else will i need for 1 flag?

op_ivy said:
pretty sure you can set the option *somewhere to have the flag carrier ride in vehicles. someone else can likely point you exactly where.

i have a forge question as well. i'm trying to set up one of my maps for 1 flag ctf, but it tells me that the map doesnt support that game mode. i placed a flag stand at one base and assigned it that team color, and the return marker at the other base assigned to their color. what am i doing wrong or what else will i need for 1 flag?

From forge select a CTF gametype and start editing.

Select the capture and return points and set their label to "CTF_FLAG_RETURN" or something like that.

That should get you started.

Also, be sure you set up some respawn zones with the "CTF_FLAG_AT_HOME_RESPAWN" and "CTF_FLAG_AWAY." And make sure to use anti respawn zones to prevent the other team from spawning in.

op_ivy

electricpirate said:
From forge select a CTF gametype and start editing.

Select the capture and return points and set their label to "CTF_FLAG_RETURN" or something like that.

That should get you started.

Also, be sure you set up some respawn zones with the "CTF_FLAG_AT_HOME_RESPAWN" and "CTF_FLAG_AWAY." And make sure to use anti respawn zones to prevent the other team from spawning in.

sounds.... complicated. i'll play around with it.

those of you getting together t'o play gaf forge creations, how about some write ups or impressions? with my broken hand all i've been able to do is run around some, but moonbase and seirra seem like standouts so far -- not counting my own ;)

Raide

op_ivy said:

those of you getting together t'o play gaf forge creations, how about some write ups or impressions? with my broken hand all i've been able to do is run around some, but moonbase and seirra seem like standouts so far -- not counting my own ;)

Those that spend the time, usually add their own feedback and ideas to refine the maps. Once people are happy and have their 100% done map, then we can do some write-ups and add them to the OP.

Its great to be part of ForgeGAF and help out with maps and stuff. :lol

cazosozey

Helznicht said:
Just spent several days working on a large scale CTF/TF style map. Only to run into a huge roadblock, the flagbearer cannot ride in the Falcon? Please tell me if im missing something or a setting? 2 bases set up on seperate plateau's, forcing air combat and personel movement to get to the enemys flag, but I cant see a way to fly the flag back home.....

I think that setting may be under gametypes in CTF. I'm not sure exactly, have not setup any custom ctf variants myself. Hope that helps, I've hit a pretty big roadblock recently on a map, and I'm not really sure how to fix it either :(

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:

It should really be in the OP here, but one of the Bungie guys put together a "required objects" guide for Forging game types, here. I haven't started placing my objective markers yet but I plan to use it as reference, as it's apparantly been a life saver for some.

First Look: Château
Description: Open manors such as this suggest a Forerunner class system similar to our own. 4-12 players.

reach_3900567_Full.jpg

reach_3900573_Full.jpg

reach_3900545_Full.jpg

reach_3900546_Full.jpg

Download Link: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3900647&player=BEARCANO

Creator's Notes:
- I spent a lot of time on this one :lol I'd love to get some feedback on it.
- I wanted to go for some cool architectural stuff in Château. Originally I was going to put different things in each room but I ran out of building blocks.
- You can get an idea of what I was doing with the "dining room" shot
- On that note, please Bungie, give us some more scenery/decorative objects!
- Also on that note, is it possible that Bungie could give us zones and allow us to make callouts for them? It seems like it would be possible to just check what area a player is in and give it a custom label like "Dining Room" to make it easier for players.
- I set it up for most gametypes: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Headhunter, Stockpile, KOTH, and Territories. Naturally Juggernaut and such should work fine on it.
- I put in a few spawn zones as well, though not all of the ones to really perfect the map. Needs a few additional anti-respawn zones for things like CTF, for instance.
- I made a (crappy) description text for it but I'm not happy with it. If anybody wants to help me out and come up with a cool sentence or two for it, I'd be obliged.

DD-11

timetokill said:
Description: Open manors such as this suggest a Forerunner class system similar to our own. 4-12 players.

reach_3900567_Full.jpg

reach_3900573_Full.jpg

reach_3900545_Full.jpg

reach_3900546_Full.jpg

Download Link: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3900647&player=BEARCANO

Creator's Notes:
- I wanted to go for some cool architectural stuff in Château. Originally I was going to put different things in each room but I ran out of building blocks.
- Also on that note, is it possible that Bungie could give us zones and allow us to make callouts for them? It seems like it would be possible to just check what area a player is in and give it a custom label like "Dining Room" to make it easier for players.
- I set it up for most gametypes: Slayer, Assault, CTF, Headhunter, Stockpile, KOTH, and Territories. Naturally Juggernaut and such should work fine on it.
- I put in a few spawn zones as well, though not all of the ones to really perfect the map. Needs a few additional anti-respawn zones for things like CTF, for instance.
- I made a (crappy) description text for it but I'm not happy with it. If anybody wants to help me out and come up with a cool sentence or two for it, I'd be obliged.

Looks beautiful. I'll give it a run through.

cazosozey

GhaleonEB said:
It should really be in the OP here, but one of the Bungie guys put together a "required objects" guide for Forging game types, here. I haven't started placing my objective markers yet but I plan to use it as reference, as it's apparantly been a life saver for some.

Yes it definitely is. Once you kinda see how the labeling system works in forge, your imagination starts running wild with crazy ideas, mainly how you can change labels on different items like vehicles. Like my Pig Wranglin' gametype.
I'm going to have to get bungie pro soon, I'm running out of file share spots :(

cazosozey

timetokill said:

Creator's Notes:

Super clean. Love that column in the middle, I know that was a bitch to make lol

Raide

timetokill said:

Ok, quick run around Forge. Really like the layout. Don't forget to Select Object, Press B and then Edit Coordinates to nudge it to the in-game units. It makes it so much easier to link 2 objects together and gets rid of the random bumps and heigh issues with some blocks.

One thing I like to do is try to get out of maps. The Glass Covers over the spawns can be scaled pretty easily if you jump of the higher platforms. It either means you can be high up and camp, or you can job around the back end of the map without issue. With a little crouch-jumping, you can also get to the higher parts of the map. You can also get up there from the front where you have those raised cover plates over the walls.

Also, the barriers you have placed at the outside of the map can easily be jumped over. Might be worth making them much higher or just adding the 2-way shield things. Its not a major issue but you don't want people hiding out there and camping.

Green spawn needs more cover. Just something at the sides, since Red and Blue can quickly overlook the spawn. Both Red and Blue could quickly throw a grenade and murder poor Green. :lol It also means Red and Blue can get the Rocket Launcher and have the highest vantage point over Yellow and Green.

Will post some more once I have had a few custom games on it, mainly to check the flow and weapon placement.

op_ivy

ok, based on some feedback, i revised abrasion a bit. i took some advice and moved the high base a bit to limit sight lines. i also removed the sniper entirely from the high base and now there is only one near the low base. i also added one more route upwards into the cliffside and several more safe routes downward to the beach.

abrasion was always envisioned as an asymetrical map, one that wasnt super concerned with balancing bases, rather one that focused on interesting play areas and movement. sort of like highground from halo 3 in fact. perfect for 1 flag CTF, still fun for team slayer.

5036684909_4635a8670a_b.jpg

abrasion. 1 flag ctf (high base defends flag) or team slayer. lots of path ways alongside cliff and below on beach.

5036685265_fd92fca640_z.jpg

red base (no longer blue - changed for flag location in 1 flag ctf) and assorted route to it.

5036685511_9f61ddec42_z.jpg

blue base and flag capture point inside cave (again, ignore color in outdated pic)

please let me know if there are any lingering issues with the map itself, and especially with 1 flag CTF and spawning in general.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=3947322&player=LoopOfHenle

Raide

Keystone Feedback.

Really like the map. Nice layout and good amount of weapons. Just a few cosmetic tweaks like aligning textures and Editing Coordinates on a few things. Some interesting ways to traverse the map outside of the normal routes. (Reminds me of old-school Quake maps :D )

Needs some GAF custom playtests to work out the flow, choke-points and weapon placement tweaks etc. Overall, really nice.

Edit:

Titan Feedback.

Lovely map, terrible slow-down. Even in Forge it is really bad. Slap 16 people in there and it will be like a Halo Slide-show.

Raide said:
Ok, quick run around Forge. Really like the layout. Don't forget to Select Object, Press B and then Edit Coordinates to nudge it to the in-game units. It makes it so much easier to link 2 objects together and gets rid of the random bumps and heigh issues with some blocks.

One thing I like to do is try to get out of maps. The Glass Covers over the spawns can be scaled pretty easily if you jump of the higher platforms. It either means you can be high up and camp, or you can job around the back end of the map without issue. With a little crouch-jumping, you can also get to the higher parts of the map. You can also get up there from the front where you have those raised cover plates over the walls.

Also, the barriers you have placed at the outside of the map can easily be jumped over. Might be worth making them much higher or just adding the 2-way shield things. Its not a major issue but you don't want people hiding out there and camping.

Green spawn needs more cover. Just something at the sides, since Red and Blue can quickly overlook the spawn. Both Red and Blue could quickly throw a grenade and murder poor Green. :lol It also means Red and Blue can get the Rocket Launcher and have the highest vantage point over Yellow and Green.

Will post some more once I have had a few custom games on it, mainly to check the flow and weapon placement.

Once again, thanks for the fantastic feedback :)

I did Edit Coordinates on the vast majority of things on the map. The ground planes, the walls, etc -- which is why you see some of the z-fighting on some of those things (in the main hall rooms on both sides for example) But something I found was some things don't work as well for it, it seems -- blocks of different 'heights' when turned on their side don't like to line up with other platforms -- because I think they were originally made for use as walls and such. I totally agree with your advice though, and was in Edit Coordinates a LOT during this map's creation. Some stuff I just couldn't seem to get rid of without other issues cropping up -- walls going through floors, some spacing gaps, some blocks not lining up with the tops of objects as opposed to the middles (making for bigger bumps than otherwise).

As far as the glass covers and side barriers, I agree, they're scalable (and I did so several times as a test). I did put kill zones around the backs of the walls as well as made a soft safe zone around the main playfield, so hopefully in actual play it won't be an issue. I considered making it harder to scale those things, but then I thought -- one, jetpacks are probably going to be used so making them inaccessible would be weird, and two -- there's really no cover on those glass walls, so you're easy to pick off if you decide to shoot from there. But at any rate, I'm hoping that the killzones/soft-safe zones will take care of the problems. Hard to say without a good playtest on it though, which is one of the reasons I'm so eager to try it :D

I think you're right about green, but at the same time I want to avoid making that platform too defensible -- there's really only one way onto that platform and as a rule I don't want to make any one-way-accessible areas very easy to defend. Hopefully as a starting spawn it works, but I'm definitely open to suggestions as to other places to put them. I could see putting them in one of the back corners on the first floor and moving Yellow to the other back corner, 1st floor. That might be a good alternative :D

I love your feedback by the way -- you are coming to a lot of the same questions/concerns that I had while making the map. It's obvious you're putting a lot of thought into it while testing and that is really awesome. I seriously appreciate it.

cazosozey said:
Super clean. Love that column in the middle, I know that was a bitch to make lol

Thanks! Yeah, I wanted it to have a very clean, almost majestic feel. And yeah, that column was pretty interesting, especially when I didn't have it centered at first.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

Hill Ground (Version Two)

• Size: Large
  • Players Supported: 8-16 Players
  • Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, One Flag, One Bomb
  • Notes: Inspired by High Ground with an increased scale for more players, the map features branching routes to the main base in addition to various pieces of cover and non-compartmentalised focal points.

>>Download Link<<

Akhsihs (Version One)

• Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag and Neutral Assault
  • Notes: A drastic layout change for the island, the tall rocks and cliffs are now out of bounds areas. Teleporters in the bases promote rapid map movement.

>>Download Link<<

Nirvana (Version One)

• Gametypes Supported: BTB Slayer, Multi-Flag, Assault, Neutral Assault and more
  • Notes: This originally was an edit to Hemorrage but it has expanded past that. Tanks removed, vehicles adjusted (timers and amounts), teleporters replaced with mancannons, central hill added with Laser on top, Water Cave sealed, various rock cover added to map to promote infantry movement.

>>Download Link<<

Victrix

*beard*
Two requests for ForgeGAF

1) Never put your level near that waterfall. I don't even download levels near it :(

2) Put more maps on the ground! Totally add lots of walls/floors/etc, but every level does not need to be floating in space with a totally level floor. Stick them up against the cliffs, use the ground surfaces, whatever.

Raide

Victrix said:
Two requests for ForgeGAF

1) Never put your level near that waterfall. I don't even download levels near it :(

2) Put more maps on the ground! Totally add lots of walls/floors/etc, but every level does not need to be floating in space with a totally level floor. Stick them up against the cliffs, use the ground surfaces, whatever.

I hate the waterfall too. So damn noisy when you're Forging. :lol

I am having a go at an Invasion map currently, using some of the rock faces and outcrops.

Does anyone know if its possible to customise the loadouts? Its Elites attacking Humans, so I want Elites spawning with Jetpacks as the only option.

Top Bottom