• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Raide said:
Does anyone know if its possible to customise the loadouts? Its Elites attacking Humans, so I want Elites spawning with Jetpacks as the only option.

You can do this by making a custom gametype (go into custom games and into the settings).
I wish that stuff was available through Forge but it's not.

Raide

timetokill said:
You can do this by making a custom gametype (go into custom games and into the settings).
I wish that stuff was available through Forge but it's not.

Ahh I see. So I have to make a map and a separate game-type to link to it?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Titan Feedback.

Lovely map, terrible slow-down. Even in Forge it is really bad. Slap 16 people in there and it will be like a Halo Slide-show.

holy hell, you werent kidding. deleted.

cazosozey

Victrix said:
Two requests for ForgeGAF

1) Never put your level near that waterfall. I don't even download levels near it :(

2) Put more maps on the ground! Totally add lots of walls/floors/etc, but every level does not need to be floating in space with a totally level floor. Stick them up against the cliffs, use the ground surfaces, whatever.

Absolutely agree, there are way too many floating out in the middle of no where maps. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a well designed floating map, the individuality of using the already built landscape is something forgers are starting to understand with each new map. I decided awhile ago I wanted to incorporate my next map with the in game geometry, and not against it. I really wish I would have put Sub Base up against the cliff like my original idea, maybe I'll do that with Sub Base V3.

Is anyone else spending more time in forge than they are actually playing the Reach? I am lol

Kibbles

God the slowdown in this game pisses me off =( I really hope Bungie can put out some sort of software update to at least reduce it.

DD-11

cazosozey said:
Absolutely agree, there are way too many floating out in the middle of no where maps. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a well designed floating map, the individuality of using the already built landscape is something forgers are starting to understand with each new map. I decided awhile ago I wanted to incorporate my next map with the in game geometry, and not against it. I really wish I would have put Sub Base up against the cliff like my original idea, maybe I'll do that with Sub Base V3.

Is anyone else spending more time in forge than they are actually playing the Reach? I am lol

Yes, far more. I've done a lot of campaign, some firefight and a few custom matches. MM doesn't interest me too much--I wish there was a slayer, ctf/objective, other and a pro/mlg hopper. Having to play all these gametypes I don't enjoy is aggravating.

Retro

cazosozey said:

I've tended to build in really confined spaces, so... in theory, at least, I've avoided the "Big floaty map" thing. That said, my current project is built much closer to the natural landscape and I'm hoping to integrate some of it.... especially since having free walls means I can save on my part budget a little.

cazosozey said:

Easily. I've beaten the Campaign on Heroic, done some MM (Team Slayer, primarily), and a few GAF Customs... but Forge is where I've spent all of my time.

MrBig

Raide said:
I enjoyed the customs with ElectricPirate, it was good to jump into the ForgeGAF maps and do some playtesting. We should make it a regular thing, since feedback is what will keep the community improving. Nothing worse than making something and nobody says anything. :lol

Hopefully we can do some more this weekend. Make up a list of 10 ForgeGAF maps and test them with 16 players.
This.

All of my maps integrate the landscape personally.. I'm not a huge fan of the all-floating style either. Glad to see more people trying to use the landscape. Though obviously for spaceships and things it makes sense to have them flying sometimes (though you can put them on the ground with a loading dock or something!)

Thanks for the feedback, really just need to spend some time actually doing some playtesting but unfortunately will not be able to until the weekend.

I want to integrate some natural features into my next map and am currently scouting out an area for the map. I'm thinking of trying my hand at an asymmetric CTF utilising some of the terrain in Forgeworld. I just finished building my map next to the waterfall and realised how annoying it would be at the end of the building process. The only benefit to having it there is that it can provide some orientation to a person playing on the map.

So, I haven't had much time to Forge lately, but I did manage to add on to the Saucer. It's still not much though. :(

rr1dle.jpg

So, as you can tell, I started to add the bottom half of the saucer. I still need to add one more layer of Glass Covers on the bottom. Luckily I will not use all of them.. I will only have 2 left. :lol

s4c3fs.jpg

In the above shot, I've been experimenting with how I'm going to make the roof. This may not be the final design, but if I can't think of anything else, I will go with this. It's still obviously not done yet. Each and every space shall be filled to create an enclose space. What you see on top will most likely be what you see on the bottom.

2v28u4k.jpg

In this shot, you get an idea of what it will be like from the inside.

I kinda wish I would have made this on the ground to give it a bio-dome type of feel, but this will have to do. I'm very proud of what I have achieved so far. This is definitely turning out to be my best Forge creation yet. :D

Mr Jared

My first Forge creation is pretty simple and it was inspired by Bungie's ... err, inspired Team Slayer Matchmaking :lol

Running into nothing but SWAT reminded me of my Counter-Strike days when, suddenly, a server with a decent map rotation would turn into nothing but 24/7 Dust and of course, fy_iceworld. Iceworld was popular for the same reasons SWAT is in Halo.. it's fast and absolutely braindead. So I thought, what better way to torture myself than to create my most loathed Counter-Strike map for my most hated Halo gametype.

Behold, fy_brochill

lh3L4.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4050732&player=Mr Jared

With the exception of being able to shoot through walls, it plays a lot like fy_iceworld. There are even ramps on the side where with a careful jump, you can run along the outer walls.

Mr Jared said:
My first Forge creation is pretty simple and it was inspired by Bungie's ... err, inspired Team Slayer Matchmaking :lol

Running into nothing but SWAT reminded me of my Counter-Strike days when, suddenly, a server with a decent map rotation would turn into nothing but 24/7 Dust and of course, fy_iceworld. Iceworld was popular for the same reasons SWAT is in Halo.. it's fast and absolutely braindead. So I thought, what better way to torture myself than to create my most loathed Counter-Strike map for my most hated Halo gametype.

Behold, fy_brochill

lh3L4.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4050732&player=Mr Jared

With the exception of being able to shoot through walls, it plays a lot like fy_iceworld. There are even ramps on the side where with a careful jump, you can run along the outer walls.

I hate you so much :lol

Okay, so I'm thinking about how best to organize customs for map testing.

Here's my current idea,

I'll create a spreadsheet of all the NeoGaf maps that posters here want tested. When they submit a map for testing (I haven't decided on a mechanism yet, possibly a form that adds to a google spreadsheet, or just a post to the thread that will be manually copied) it goes to the bottom of the list, with a preferred player range, game mode etc. Every time the customs group meets they work would work down from the top, playing maps suitable to the player count. At the end, come back to the thread to drop some feedback. There could also be some time in every session to just free form, and pick some map requests from the current pack of testers.

To start with, presence at testing sections would be highly encouraged for map makers, as time goes on, if people are just submitting their own maps without giving feedback on others, we might need to have attendance rules. I would hope it wouldn't come to that though.

So what nights work for people? I think sat. night is out since that is standard Gaf customs, and I don't want to splt the player base. Are weekends or weekdays better for people? I'm personally partial to tuesdays or wed, around 6 PM eastern, since my wife is away, but for west coasters and europeans it probably won't work.

We'll also need people willling to be party leaders, and be responsible for going through the list, describing maps pre-game, and saving off relevant films.

So Forge GAF, what say you?

1) General feedback? Too organized, too loosey goosey?
2) Custom times, what works for people? Weekend vs. Weekday?

If there's enough interest I'll start a thread over in the onling gaming forum with more details.

NOKYARD

electricpirate said:
If there's enough interest I'll start a thread over in the onling gaming forum with more details.
I have heard whispers of a similar thread. Might not want to jump the gun.

I do have a suggestion for when a thread does go up. Forgers should place the map, variant if required, and 3-4 screen shots in a File Set. When you post your map here you link the file set, not the map file. This way you can update the map on a daily basis without the need to post a new link for every version. Version numbers should be in the description, not the name.

Quitclaim Outpost
v2.7 Inhabitants abandoned this lonely outpost well before the Covenant arrived. Likely, due to the lack of washrooms.

Dani said:
Akhsihs (Version One)
Have not played a game on it yet, but the garage seems to be a bit vulnerable from a Revenant attack.

The Lamonster said:
Please let us know about any more super faithful remakes!
Found a pretty decent remake of Terminal. Haven't played any games on it, so I can't speak to the framerate. There's a lot of objects, so be warned. The coolest thing about the map is that he's used a moving kill ball in place of the train. Works like a charm.

28m0idh.jpg

Terminal 777

-Yeti said:
So, I haven't had much time to Forge lately, but I did manage to add on to the Saucer. It's still not much though. :(

rr1dle.jpg

So, as you can tell, I started to add the bottom half of the saucer. I still need to add one more layer of Glass Covers on the bottom. Luckily I will not use all of them.. I will only have 2 left. :lol

s4c3fs.jpg

In the above shot, I've been experimenting with how I'm going to make the roof. This may not be the final design, but if I can't think of anything else, I will go with this. It's still obviously not done yet. Each and every space shall be filled to create an enclose space. What you see on top will most likely be what you see on the bottom.

2v28u4k.jpg

In this shot, you get an idea of what it will be like from the inside.

I kinda wish I would have made this on the ground to give it a bio-dome type of feel, but this will have to do. I'm very proud of what I have achieved so far. This is definitely turning out to be my best Forge creation yet. :D

Let us know when its finished, seems like it could be a fun map. I assume they'll be a disco ball in the middle? :D

electricpirate said:
Okay, so I'm thinking about how best to organize customs for map testing.

Here's my current idea,

I'll create a spreadsheet of all the NeoGaf maps that posters here want tested. When they submit a map for testing (I haven't decided on a mechanism yet, possibly a form that adds to a google spreadsheet, or just a post to the thread that will be manually copied) it goes to the bottom of the list, with a preferred player range, game mode etc. Every time the customs group meets they work would work down from the top, playing maps suitable to the player count. At the end, come back to the thread to drop some feedback. There could also be some time in every session to just free form, and pick some map requests from the current pack of testers.

To start with, presence at testing sections would be highly encouraged for map makers, as time goes on, if people are just submitting their own maps without giving feedback on others, we might need to have attendance rules. I would hope it wouldn't come to that though.

So what nights work for people? I think sat. night is out since that is standard Gaf customs, and I don't want to splt the player base. Are weekends or weekdays better for people? I'm personally partial to tuesdays or wed, around 6 PM eastern, since my wife is away, but for west coasters and europeans it probably won't work.

We'll also need people willling to be party leaders, and be responsible for going through the list, describing maps pre-game, and saving off relevant films.

So Forge GAF, what say you?

1) General feedback? Too organized, too loosey goosey?
2) Custom times, what works for people? Weekend vs. Weekday?

I'm down for that, though I would say that the presence of the mapmaker in the group should push that map ahead of maps where the mapmaker is not present.

I'd say weeknights or weekend hours are fine for me. We need to remember that we're not all in the same timezone so weeknights may be difficult sometimes. For instance, I get home around 9pm PST. That might be too late for somebody who hits the sack at midnight EST. Weekends might give us more flexibility there.

As a way to just put a suggestion out there and get the ball rolling, how about Saturdays or Sundays at 4pm PST/7pm EST?

op_ivy

timetokill said:
I'm down for that, though I would say that the presence of the mapmaker in the group should push that map ahead of maps where the mapmaker is not present.

I'd say weeknights or weekend hours are fine for me. We need to remember that we're not all in the same timezone so weeknights may be difficult sometimes. For instance, I get home around 9pm PST. That might be too late for somebody who hits the sack at midnight EST. Weekends might give us more flexibility there.

As a way to just put a suggestion out there and get the ball rolling, how about Saturdays or Sundays at 4pm PST/7pm EST?

this sounds good for me, sundays preferred.

Chriswok said:
Let us know when its finished, seems like it could be a fun map. I assume they'll be a disco ball in the middle? :D

I will let you guys know when it's finished. :D

Shouldn't be finished for about 3 days at the rate I'm going.

Anyway, I would love to help you guys test some maps. If you ever need someone, hit me up!

Gamertag is RebornYeti.

-Yeti said:
I will let you guys know when it's finished. :D

Shouldn't be finished for about 3 days at the rate I'm going.

Anyway, I would love to help you guys test some maps. If you ever need someone, hit me up!

Gamertag is RebornYeti.

It really makes me want to watch Mad Max. :lol

JimmyBoy

Does anyone have any details on how spawning actually works? What I mean is, how does the game determine which of my 6 re-spawn points to spawn the 1st person who dies. 2nd? 3rd? etc.

I have a map made that I don't want to post yet because it needs a lot more tweaking but I'm concerned spawn camping could become rampant due to the small size of the map. I didn't know if Reach had some built in logic that made you respawn at the furthest point from an enemy or what.

Red

Just finished the first version of my first ever forge map.

I call it Transcendence.

Here is the red base area:
http://i53.tinypic.com/28tyqaf.jpg[IMG]

Here is another angle:
[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/24g1usw.jpg[IMG]

Looking at blue base from red base:
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/66j3w1.jpg[IMG]

Inside blue base:
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/xnte1z.jpg[IMG]

And [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4114288&player=everluck"]here is a link[/URL] to the map itself.

It should work for headhunter, slayer, assault, king of the hill, and CTF. Both FFA and team games (only red and blue). If anyone would be kind enough to check it out, I'd appreciate it.

JimmyBoy said:
Does anyone have any details on how spawning actually works? What I mean is, how does the game determine which of my 6 re-spawn points to spawn the 1st person who dies. 2nd? 3rd? etc.

I have a map made that I don't want to post yet because it needs a lot more tweaking but I'm concerned spawn camping could become rampant due to the small size of the map. I didn't know if Reach had some built in logic that made you respawn at the furthest point from an enemy or what.

I don't know all the specifics, but bungie has a formula that looks at things like the presence of your team mates, vs the presence of enemies vs if someone just died in a spot. At some point Bungie will detail it for us, but they haven't done so yet.

op_ivy

Crunched said:
Just finished the first version of my first ever forge map.

I call it Transcendence.

Here is the red base area:
http://i53.tinypic.com/28tyqaf.jpg[IMG]

Here is another angle:
[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/24g1usw.jpg[IMG]

Looking at blue base from red base:
[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/66j3w1.jpg[IMG]

Inside blue base:
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/xnte1z.jpg[IMG]

And [URL="http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4114288&player=everluck"]here is a link[/URL] to the map itself.

It should work for headhunter, slayer, assault, king of the hill, and CTF. Both FFA and team games (only red and blue). If anyone would be kind enough to check it out, I'd appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

fix your image tags. the last for each should look like [/tag].

made a quickie small map today in the cave i call [b]splunk[/b]. splunk is meant for small slayer and team slayer games (2-4, maybe 6 players max). loads of shotgun and magnum ammo, and a grenade launcher to fight over. nothing incredible and certainly wasnt time consuming to make, but should prove fun :)

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5040337784_f3c1fd20d4_b.jpg

dl link http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=4127957&player=LoopOfHenle

NH Apache

Banned
So I started doing a remake of Temple from Goldeneye N64 and it can't be done. I need so many more 5x5 Flats and I am just barely finished one of the sections. :(((

I think I might just adapt what I have into something a bit different. It looks like it will be close to a BTB map.

NH Apache said:
So I started doing a remake of Temple from Goldeneye N64 and it can't be done. I need so many more 5x5 Flats and I am just barely finished one of the sections. :(((

I think I might just adapt what I have into something a bit different. It looks like it will be close to a BTB map.

Have you tried using the Colosseum Walls as a floor? I generally try to use them to conserve the number of building blocks so I can use them elsewhere on the map. The only problem is that the walls do not always align well with other forge objects so can get little bumps when going between areas.

Edit: I would be up for some playtesting but since I live in Australia timezones will likely be tricky for me to attend.

NH Apache

Banned
droppedbear said:
Have you tried using the Colosseum Walls as a floor? I generally try to use them to conserve the number of building blocks so I can use them elsewhere on the map. The only problem is that the walls do not always align well with other forge objects so can get little bumps when going between areas.

Edit: I would be up for some playtesting but since I live in Australia timezones will likely be tricky for me to attend.

The area is too small.
Here is a refresher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKhKRe-zXFg

Plus, because of Halo's increased range, I feel like I have to scale it up too.

Red

op_ivy said:
fix your image tags. the last for each should look like [/tag].
Made them like that purposely after seeing how big the pics were. Going to resize+repost. Didn't get a chance earlier.

Red base:
2hs9fcw.jpg

Red base angle 2:
43m7k.jpg

Blue base from red base:
2rdyagw.jpg

Inside blue base:
2uiupmt.jpg

Retro

First thing's first; feedback!

Canyon:
- Very interesting layout, I could see it being a blast to play on.

- There's a ramp near the green spawn point that leads up to the sword that I tried several times to leap off of, to no avail. I'm guessing you made it that way on purpose so green players can't race right at the sword, but if not you might consider a small platform at the top.

- There's a spot on the map where your guardrails are slouched down towards a block. It looks alright, but it kind of suggests that you'd be able to jump across the gap there. If you;re a Spartan, you have to really nail a perfect crouch jump to make it, though as an elite it was much easier... I know I made a few passages on Cistern too short for elites to squeeze through, so... make sure you test it with both.

Chateau:
- Very nice design and it 'feels' like a big mansion. Even the plot you plopped it down on has great views.

- The yellow team starts kind of close to the sword. Granted, the yellow team starts out very much exposed, so that kind of balances it. That's a great spot for the sword though, so if it plays kind of weird, maybe look at your team spawning points. There were similar issues with the Hammer, so... I'm thinking you're aware of it.

---------------------------
As for my own Forgings... I've decided to remake Moonpool ... from scratch to cut some of the geometry out of the blue base, streamline the overall layout, and give the Red base something interesting other than ramps and a moat. I'm experimenting with a few rough ideas, but nothing yet.

I even cloned Yeti's giant glass dome/saucer to see how a big domed area would look... neat, but it's too big for my needs so I'm either going to try a smaller version (20° or 30° angles instead of 15° and rough out the difference), accept that Red will have a huge base, or just go somewhere else with it.

The Moonpool room is larger, no longer has a lot of railings, and the blue base ''fits" in better. There's more cover, more water, less changes in elevation (found a really interesting way to handle it using Rounded Walls, of all things), better weapon positioning... and it looks cleaner without the rocks. I've been insanely stingy with building materials this time around, and it shows.

The armory is also larger, the room above it is easier to get into, and the entire thing feels like a solid fortress now (it's very imposing when view from the red base, which is one of the reasons I'm trying to leave that section open so you can experience it.)

Anyways, I'm really happy with "Moonpool 2.0" and I think it's gone from a really neat map to something really fucking impressive. I'd like to get a lot of playtesting in before I even consider releasing it widely, so if we're leaning towards Sunday, consider me there.

One other quick question; how are people converting their Halo movies over to Youtube? I'd much rather have a video than a bunch of screenshots, but I'm completely clueless on anything to do with video. If anyone has any tips, let me know.

Retro said:
Chateau:
- Very nice design and it 'feels' like a big mansion. Even the plot you plopped it down on has great views.

- The yellow team starts kind of close to the sword. Granted, the yellow team starts out very much exposed, so that kind of balances it. That's a great spot for the sword though, so if it plays kind of weird, maybe look at your team spawning points. There were similar issues with the Hammer, so... I'm thinking you're aware of it.

Thanks for the feedback.
I've been torn on team spawning points, for green (at the cliffside platform) and yellow in particular. I felt that those spots gave them the most distance between them and other teams, but they're also pretty exposed. And you're right, I did hope that it would balance a little with the hammer and sword so close to each of them. They also have a lot of choice about where they're going to go.

My thought is I might want to move them to a staircase area on either side, as those are really the only two spots left. But again, I'd rather them be a little exposed with choices to run to and good weapons nearby than put them very close to another team right at the start with not much of a decision as to what to do.

Can't wait to see your new version of Moonpool! I think the changes you listed sound perfect for the map, and I can't wait to see how it changes how it feels. I think you tackled the main issues with it so it should be a better experience.

Also, it seems most are good for Sunday so I'd say let's just set it out there: Sunday, 4pm PST/7pm EST. Join up (my XBL: BEARCANO) and we'll get some good testing done :D If we can make a Google spreadsheet as was recommended earlier, I'll make a list of maps we'll go over and a preliminary attendance sheet.

zumphry

Banned
So, for my super-dooper top secret map remake I'm making now, I don't know if I want to keep on using the Quarry, or use the middle of the Canyon (middle of blue tunnel to end of red ridge for size). Currently it takes about 3 uses of sprint to go from the longest points in the Canyon "mass out", and 2 in the Quarry one. The map's idea has always been some sort of larger Sanctuary like map, but circular with enough space where Mongooses and Ghosts can move about.

Ugh.

Shishka said:

:lol

Yeah, it wasn't until I read the post and actually looked at the name of the map before I got it. :lol

Retro

timetokill said:
Thanks for the feedback.

No problem. I usually skim this thread once a day (usually in the evenings) and download anything people want feedback on. If anybody wants me to take a look at something specific, PMs are an acceptable way to get my attention (especially since Reach threads seem to move fast).

timetokill said:
I've been torn on team spawning points.

How are you on parts/budget? I think the map is really great as it is, but if you wanted to add additional spawning ground, maybe make two areas hanging off the cliff? You could add the Landing Pad platform and maybe a small shelter as a 'garage' of sorts. If you're ok on pieces, you could even get more elaborate by throwing a Banshee or Hornet for show, placed behind one-way doors (so you can look but not touch).

You could have mirrored 'shuttle bays' suspended over the cliff, with ramps heading towards the central platform you have on the cliff now. To provide cover (so the teams aren't running smack into each other), maybe use the Golf Tee to extend the grass out a bit and have a rock garden to divert the teams away from each other. Definitely move the hammer though, so you don't have a mini-race for a power weapon.

timetokill said:
Can't wait to see your new version of Moonpool! I think the changes you listed sound perfect for the map, and I can't wait to see how it changes how it feels. I think you tackled the main issues with it so it should be a better experience.

The big problems with the original, apart from laziness issues (sloppy spawns, two teams only, Slayer-only, weapon-respawns, etc.) is the amount of geometry used to make the Moonpool (much of it unnecessary and possibly slow-down inducing), a really sloppy Blue Base (ran out of walls, had to use rocks), graphical glitches from the water being too deep in the Blue tunnel, a crowded armory with terrible access (if you can call three fairly precise jumps 'access') to the third floor, and a Red base that was essentially a wall with a ton of ramps to guard.

I've been extremely stodgy with parts I know I'll need, and extremely liberal with parts I know I won't (I always have a surplus of rocks, ramps, and decor items so when I have a single wall, I try to use ramps to 'fudge' it in). I've tried to think more in terms of what would be both visually interesting as well as easier to play in (the original was built around trying to get things to look right and had a lot of odd ramps and platforms).

It's also not quite so narrow (except in places where it needs to be). The layout is essentially the same but things feel more tuned to what I originally wanted to do.

timetokill said:
Also, it seems most are good for Sunday so I'd say let's just set it out there: Sunday, 4pm PST/7pm EST. Join up (my XBL: BEARCANO) and we'll get some good testing done :D If we can make a Google spreadsheet as was recommended earlier, I'll make a list of maps we'll go over and a preliminary attendance sheet.

Sounds good. I don't have any plans after 7, though I may still be having dinner so I might be a little late. I'll add you to my friends list (XBL: Retrogames) and if I see you on I'll be sure and get you into a custom for a sneak peak.

ZayneH said:
So, my Zealot rearranging has 25 downloads and 3 likes on it, anyone have anything to say about it/tips on how to improve it? Or is it guys waiting to be approved that have looked at it?

Forgot to download it initially, but what I saw when you first posted about it looks good. Anything that brings Zealot (a somewhat underwhelming map with the most obnoxious noob-loft ever) closer to Midship is a winner in my book.

Kibbles

squidhands said:
Found a pretty decent remake of Terminal. Haven't played any games on it, so I can't speak to the framerate. There's a lot of objects, so be warned. The coolest thing about the map is that he's used a moving kill ball in place of the train. Works like a charm.

28m0idh.jpg

Terminal 777
The moving killball is freaking genius.

Retro said:
No problem. I usually skim this thread once a day (usually in the evenings) and download anything people want feedback on. If anybody wants me to take a look at something specific, PMs are an acceptable way to get my attention (especially since Reach threads seem to move fast).

Same here - if people want to get a hold of me for a Reach map, a PM is totally fine.

How are you on parts/budget? I think the map is really great as it is, but if you wanted to add additional spawning ground, maybe make two areas hanging off the cliff? You could add the Landing Pad platform and maybe a small shelter as a 'garage' of sorts. If you're ok on pieces, you could even get more elaborate by throwing a Banshee or Hornet for show, placed behind one-way doors (so you can look but not touch). ....+ additional suggestions

Totally out of building blocks, but I could do some more bridges and things. I'm glad you mentioned the Garage and one-way door thing. I originally had a long bridge out to a landing pad with a Hornet (for show) out there, but then I didn't want to have a long, single-access area out there. I may try making a mini-garage, we'll see. I don't want to add too much more geometry mostly because I like the cleanliness of the map and the great views it affords from that cliffside. What I may do is make the garage end up just below the landing pad to preserve the view but also allow for an interesting small room.

I actually don't mind having the power weapons be the object of a mini-race, especially because they're so out in the open. Both the hammer and the rockets above them don't afford you much cover when you acquire it, so it takes a bit of a team effort to secure them safely.

I will take a look at what I can do to the cliffside without adding too much real estate. I don't want it to become Big Team sized or anything :D I do think a lot of answers will come from a proper team game playtest on it though.

The big problems with the original, apart from laziness issues (sloppy spawns, two teams only, Slayer-only, weapon-respawns, etc.) is the amount of geometry used to make the Moonpool (much of it unnecessary and possibly slow-down inducing), a really sloppy Blue Base (ran out of walls, had to use rocks), graphical glitches from the water being too deep in the Blue tunnel, a crowded armory with terrible access (if you can call three fairly precise jumps 'access') to the third floor, and a Red base that was essentially a wall with a ton of ramps to guard.

I've been extremely stodgy with parts I know I'll need, and extremely liberal with parts I know I won't (I always have a surplus of rocks, ramps, and decor items so when I have a single wall, I try to use ramps to 'fudge' it in). I've tried to think more in terms of what would be both visually interesting as well as easier to play in (the original was built around trying to get things to look right and had a lot of odd ramps and platforms).

It's also not quite so narrow (except in places where it needs to be). The layout is essentially the same but things feel more tuned to what I originally wanted to do.

I totally hear you. I think it's a good idea to have a second crack at things, in general. My first map I didn't even post because while I think it was interesting in some ways, it was very dense and I didn't feel it flowed very well. But iteration is key to good design, so doing those crazy first drafts helps a lot in the long run. For Château, I took about three times as long as I took to make Seashell. I spent it all tuning it and changing things or removing them (like the hornet/landing pad thing I mentioned earlier) a lot. The two bridges in the map are just two of the 8 or so bridges I made and then stripped out :lol

Sounds good. I don't have any plans after 7, though I may still be having dinner so I might be a little late. I'll add you to my friends list (XBL: Retrogames) and if I see you on I'll be sure and get you into a custom for a sneak peak.

Cool, I'll add you as well.

Top Bottom