• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

MrBig

I'm guessing all the braces combine to form some sort of colon hole opening to let players pass by

bad butt jokes yeaaaaaaaaa

zumphry

Banned
MrBig said:
I'm guessing all the braces combine to form some sort of colon hole opening to let players pass by

bad butt jokes yeaaaaaaaaa

First Spider-Man, now lame/bad jokes?

FISTICUFFS AT DAWN, SIR.

33w1spl.jpg

MrBig

ZayneH said:
First Spider-Man, now lame/bad jokes?

FISTICUFFS AT DAWN, SIR.

http://i55.tinypic.com/33w1spl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
As tempted as I am to quote your avatar, I must say that I am not opposed to fisticuffs.

zumphry

Banned
Still, slightly off topic, popped in Halo 3 to get some stuff for this week's All-Star contest, and I just have one question:

How the hell did we ever Forge in Halo 3? Jeeze. As much as I complain about Reach's forging issues, it's a hell of a lot better than 3's.

NOKYARD

MrBig said:
colon hole opening
Close.

Right now it's 3 different Grifball courts. I plan to re-purpose the area for Slayer/CTF later. The floor is Foundry (H3) size, but 3 times as high so there is plenty of building space in there.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
NOKYARD said:
Close.

Right now it's 3 different Grifball courts. I plan to re-purpose the area for Slayer/CTF later. The floor is Foundry (H3) size, but 3 times as high so there is plenty of building space in there.

looks really cool!

i'm working on 2 new maps myself that i've already planned and sketched out, now i just need time to forge them. the first, oppidum, is a symmetrical arena style map ala midship. the second, mind the gap, is an asymmetrical map for 4v4 or 6v6 designed around the idea of england's tubes with nods to halo 2's terminal. pretty excited about both, probably wont have anything to show for quite some time though.

also, being that its Thurs now, i'd like to request that Truss gets some love again this weekend. i'd definitely like another 2 flag ctf game (8 to 16 players) to be played. MrBig and I revised the spawns and there have been some fairly minor changes. again, if the map is well recieved, i plan to rebuild it from scratch at a 90 degree angle to make sure it looks nice and is forged more professionally. if time permits, i'd like a second objective game (crazy king? territories?) played as well.

i'll update this post with the latest version soon :)

Just wanted to show a couple screenshots of my newest map. I took a break from Surf because it was more of an art piece that I repurposed, and I thought it'd be fun to just make a map design again.

At any rate, this one's been on the cooker since around the time of Great Bear Lodge. As for now I'm calling it "Fusion," as it's theme is centered around a combination of natural and Forerunner elements as well as some east/west design ideas. It's sized for 4v4, and is an asymmetrical map but should hopefully work for symmetric game types as well.

After this map, I have one more in my brain and then I will probably be done with Forge unless they do a big Forge update with new pieces and environments (not happening).

Anyway, here's Fusion. It should be ready for ForgeGAF testing this Saturday if that's happening. If it is, let me know because I should be able to make it as well.

reach_14047347_Full.jpg

reach_14047341_Full.jpg

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
It should be ready for ForgeGAF testing this Saturday if that's happening. If it is, let me know because I should be able to make it as well.

No, it's not. ForgeGAF Customs are dead, long live ForgeGAF customs. Thread's closed. Get out.

Kidding. Same bat time, same bat channel sound good for everyone? :p

DualX

So I plan on playing Reach a lot more, been gone awhile because of I moved, but now that it's all done I was wondering if there's a complete listing of all of these brilliantly designed maps? I checked the OP and it wasn't updated exactly, and I suppose I could go through all 40 something pages to get them all, but I was just checking to see if something had done that before me.

NOKYARD

vhfive said:
there is a small
read large
chance that I might try to do something on this.
In that case i will give you the unpublished "Field" version (pic #3) next time i am on. It has matching end walls using the coliseum windows, the published maps have at least one of the PlatformXXL walls and may not be suitable for re-purposing.

Why do I even bother starting up Forge. You people are amazing. Amazing bastards that put my efforts to shame. Thank you.

As for Forgecustoms: I will try to make it tomorrow. Last week I didn't have time to write up my thoughts but maybe this week will be different. I am definitely out for regularGAFcustoms...unless my IRL social life takes a sudden, brutal, turn for the worse.*

*This has happened many times before.

zumphry

Banned
Bregmann Roche said:
Why do I even bother starting up Forge. You people are amazing. Amazing bastards that put my efforts to shame. Thank you.

As for Forgecustoms: I will try to make it tomorrow. Last week I didn't have time to write up my thoughts but maybe this week will be different. I am definitely out for regularGAFcustoms...unless my IRL social life takes a sudden, brutal, turn for the worse.*

*This has happened many times before.

Seriously. I'm hoping we'll get enough people tomorrow early or at all to get to the bigger maps so I can get Aurora's newest version tested (YES I AM A PETTY SELFISH JERK NOT LIKE YOU PEOPLE DIDN'T KNOW THAT ALREADY). Once feedback is done on it, I'm going to start building and finishing Downpour v1 and start on Roost v3.

DualX said:
So I plan on playing Reach a lot more, been gone awhile because of I moved, but now that it's all done I was wondering if there's a complete listing of all of these brilliantly designed maps? I checked the OP and it wasn't updated exactly, and I suppose I could go through all 40 something pages to get them all, but I was just checking to see if something had done that before me.

Here's most of the maps (sorry if I didn't include someone's) from a little bit before ForgeGAF customs got rebooted through now (so I hope people post their maps from before then, or I'll go back and edit this to include those too):

Yeti-Dome (-Yeti)

Olympus (Sikamikanico)

Kingdom (op-ivy)

Reactor (vhfive)

Truss (op-ivy)
Really amusing to go back and see me and other people hate this at first and then love it recently

Crown of Flies (squidhands)

Great Bear Lodge (timetokill, but i know him as bearcano so yeah)

Moonpool (Retro)

Château (bearcano)

Surf (bearcano)

Deluge (Blue Ninja)

Lookout (Blue Ninja)

Sky High / Bereavement (Hey You)

Bikini Atoll (Mr Big)

Reliance (Striker)

Playground / Bulldogs (Sik)

Bregopticon (Bregmann Roche)

Odyssey (Sik)

Minerva (Mr Big)

Trapped (Raide)

Watershed (Mr Big)

MrBig

I'll be there. I'll work on Minerva today.
e: if that's going to be the order, switch bikini with Watershed, I haven't tested it since I finished and want to be sure we have enough people

Striker

re: Reliance

Changed few weapons around and added a Warthog to beef up the offensive movement. Be interesting how differently it may play.

Also wanting to do another map, thinking of a smaller 4v4 symmetrical space.

Requiem 2.0. is now called "Testament", but it's still a long way from being finished. It's like I've been suffering from "Forger's Block" or something, I can't finish it.

zumphry

Banned
ForgeGAF Customs - 2/18/11 - 3:00 pm EST | 20:00 GMT

Final Line up:

Yeti-dome | Fiesta Slayer
Deluge | Community Slayer (ARs)
Havok | Multi-Team Crazy King Elites
Hyperbaric | Griffball
Skydock |? (8-12 players) @
Abyssus | Multi Flag (5 Caps) ARs (added by Overdoz1z, a lurker dude)
Fusion | One flag ARs (8-12 players)
Toy | Team Slayer DMRs
Minerva | 1 Bomb ARs (8-12 player)
Watershed | Multiflag DMRs (8-12 players)
Void | Multi Flag ARs
Truss | Multi Bomb DMRs (8-16 players) *
Reliance | Slayer DMRs (8-10 players) *
Odyssey | Multiflag DMRs (12-16 players)
Aurora | Invasion (10-12 players)

Time Permitting:

Truss | Crazy King ARs (8-16 players)
Reliance | One Flag DMRs (8-10 players)
Watershed | Slayer ARs (8-12 players)

Any more maps?

NOKYARD said:
If you are submitting a map with the intention of having it considered for the Community Slayer playlist please state that you want it tested with the Community Slayer MM variant.

Notes:

*: Newest version not posted as of yet- I'll need to download this either from here or download it from the lobby from your fileshare

@: Definitely know I'll need to download it from the lobby from Nok's fileshare

Player Sizes: Putting these here now to indicate the recommended number of players. This is so that we can try to get enough people in this range to have a good game on it.

You could test out the current version of Testament (Requiem) with AR starts, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Gravlifts are probably still screwed up in that version of the map. I won't have another version ready for tomorrow (technically, Testament is a complete rebuild, and I only have the two bases built), but another test run of Deluge would be nice, if you have the time. :)

Striker

For Reliance, it's preferred to be 5v5 maxed, but I'm sure 6v6 can't hurt, though it might get crammed.

If there is 4v4 or 5v5, DMR starts is fine. I would suggest Slayer DMRs and 1-CTF (would this be Pro? I don't know if they have a gametype that's 1-flag DMRs), as I haven't seen any Team Slayer games on it, yet.

zumphry

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
You could test out the current version of Testament (Requiem) with AR starts, but I wouldn't recommend it. The Gravlifts are probably still screwed up in that version of the map. I won't have another version ready for tomorrow (technically, Testament is a complete rebuild, and I only have the two bases built), but another test run of Deluge would be nice, if you have the time. :)

Added Deluge and took out Testament. Is that ok?

Striker said:
For Reliance, it's preferred to be 5v5 maxed, but I'm sure 6v6 can't hurt, though it might get crammed.

If there is 4v4 or 5v5, DMR starts is fine. I would suggest Slayer DMRs and 1-CTF (would this be Pro? I don't know if they have a gametype that's 1-flag DMRs), as I haven't seen any Team Slayer games on it, yet.

I should have a 1 Flag DMRs already. In fact, I should probably get on now and make DMR and AR versions of everything with relevant loadouts.

MrBig

Watershed will be Multiflag DMRs.
We'll do a slayer game time permitting maybe, since the map was design for ctf, but I do want to try slayer

Zayne, if you could, add Great Bear Lodge to your list o' maps, but remove Seashell (needs a lot of fixing, going to pull it from my fileshare soon.) Great Bear Lodge is a better map anyway.

Also, I'm going to take another pass on Fusion right now, and I'll update you with desired gametypes for the playlist for tomorrow. Multiflag might work, but it'll be interesting to see how balanced/unbalanced the map is for symmetric objective gametypes like that.

I noticed that you guys are playing Oddball on Yeti-Dome. That won't work because I haven't set it up for Oddball yet.

At least as far as I can remember. I'm sure it won't be too hard to set it up quickly in Forge.

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
Also, I'm going to take another pass on Fusion right now, and I'll update you with desired gametypes for the playlist for tomorrow. Multiflag might work, but it'll be interesting to see how balanced/unbalanced the map is for symmetric objective gametypes like that.

Exactly the reason I chose Multiflag :p

-Yeti said:
I noticed that you guys are playing Oddball on Yeti-Dome. That won't work because I haven't set it up for Oddball yet.

At least as far as I can remember. I'm sure it won't be too hard to set it up quickly in Forge.

Oh, I put oddball there just 'cus. Fiesta Slayer will take it's place now, though.

ZayneH said:
Exactly the reason I chose Multiflag :p

Oh, I put oddball there just 'cus. Fiesta Slayer will take it's place now, though.

Ok cool. I seriously hope I can make it home in time for Customs! I can't miss it this week!

NOKYARD

If you are submitting a map with the intention of having it considered for the Community Slayer playlist please state that you want it tested with the Community Slayer MM variant.

NOKYARD said:
Oh, could you test Deluge with this? That'd be interesting.

And yeah, Zayne, taking out Testament is more than OK. The map isn't nearly close to being finished, after all.

Striker

NOKYARD said:
If somebody wants it tested for Community Slayer, where would we mention this? I think for all the maps here that get tested often would be efficient enough and receive the proper treatment. It'd be cool. Hopefully the Community Grab Bag gets more CTF and Assault models soon... It's something that makes you feel like the work you put into it and with the playtests kind of pay off. For my map Reliance it would be really cool.

I'll be able to hop in customs later this evening.

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD said:

Do you have this variant? I haven't played Community Slayer at all. Though, it says it's just Slayer and Slayer DMRs on B.net.

e: As for actually forging, I started Forge World to start Roost v3 and now I'm putting together an idea for a BTB map using the island. Was going to do something like Sidewinder/Avalanche, but I might try to combine a old map idea of mine with Sidewinder. Not exactly original, but hey.

Raide

I am wondering if I should abandon Trapped for a bit. I have a few more maps that I should try and get tested and see if they are worth working on or not.

Toy = Messing around with a team slayer map. Spawns and weapons are in, would be great if we could test it and see what it plays like. Trying to build a more open map yet keep in the multiple layers.

Sanctum = A fairly small symmetrical CTF/Team Slayer map. Minimum weapons to encourage map control. Something I was messing with. Not sure where to go with it yet.

Void v4 = Previous versions of this map insta-killed everyone that played it. :D Messed up some soft kill spawns :D A close quarters CTF map. Could work with Team Slayer.

Havok = Pretty old map for me. Was trying to built a multi-team KotH map. It seems to work well for KotH but not so great for slayer. Would be interesting to find out what changes I could make.

If anyone fancies downloading and having a run around and throwing me some feedback, that would be great also.

zumphry

Banned
Raide said:

If anyone fancies downloading and having a run around and throwing me some feedback, that would be great also.

Added Toy, Void, and Havok to the playlist. Elite KoTH could be/should be fun for Multiteam.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Grand. I'll be there tonight, hopefully taking notes to provide some feedback.
I'm both figuratively and literally on vacation this weekend, so thanks.

Great lineup of maps, I think the Cartographer effort has really helped motivate some spit and polish that's helping to bring out the potential in a lot of the maps.

My second map needs a touch of tweaking, but I still meant to put it in file share but didn't before taking off. So next week.

Finally have some good ideas for map #3 starting to gel. Going to try for something different, especially for myself.

zumphry

Banned
timetokill said:
Here's the download link for the latest version of Fusion: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14120863&player=BEARCANO

Still a little nervous about multiflag but hey, what the heck :)

Ran around in it and then switched it to One Flag. Unless you want to do Multiflag but I don't wanna have bad gametype combos (well, anymore)

And if someone doesn't scroll up:

ForgeGAF Customs - 2/18/11 - 3:00 pm EST | 20:00 GMT | Starting Now (send gt: ZayneHumphrey a message to get in)

Final Line up:

Yeti-dome | Fiesta Slayer
Deluge | Community Slayer (ARs)
Hyperbaric | Griffball
Havok | Multi-Team Crazy King Elites
Skydock |? (8-12 players) @
Abyssus | Multi Flag (5 Caps) ARs (added by Overdoz1z, a lurker dude)
Fusion | One flag ARs (8-12 players)
Toy | Team Slayer DMRs
Minerva | 1 Bomb ARs (8-12 player)
Watershed | Multiflag DMRs (8-12 players)
Void | Multi Flag ARs
Truss | Multi Bomb DMRs (8-16 players) *
Reliance | Team Slayer DMRs (8-10 players) *
Odyssey | Multiflag DMRs (12-16 players)
Aurora | Invasion (10-12 players)

Time Permitting:

Truss | Crazy King ARs (8-16 players)
Reliance | One Flag DMRs (8-10 players)
Watershed | Slayer ARs (8-12 players)

ZayneH said:
Ran around in it and then switched it to One Flag. Unless you want to do Multiflag but I don't wanna have bad gametype combos (well, anymore)

That's fine -- like I said before, it's probably better for asymmetric gametypes, and was designed that way (though should still work fine for slayer variants of course).

One Flag sounds good. Hope it works.

zumphry

Banned
ForgeGAF Customs are starting now, send me (ZayneHumphrey) a message to get in

e: Because of that one game Dani, I'm still just walking around maps rambling XD

MrBig

As usual, I'm going to be blunt with everything.

Yeti-Dome: give all of the windows a object color and create a rainbow spectrum pattern. Would be much more interesting. move up the sudden hard kill zone at the top give a little space with a soft kill zone. Way too low for jet packs.

Deluge: Really fun and chaotic for FFA. Someone said in the game that there were too many corners to get stuck on but I didn't notice much. put a one way shield on the top of the lift under the lockout base. You can probably get stuck in the lift and it's pointless to have the opening there if you're just being shot back up

Heyperbaric: Much more interesting than your standard rectangle. Loved it.

Abyssus: Too small for a warthog. center structure too powerful. Not enough cover on sides.
"this is like if Valhalla and Standoff had a bastard child and kept dropping it on its head. And then Hemorrhage is it's drunk uncle" who abused it - anonymous

Fusion: Ugh, just watch the film. Site lines are pretty horrendous. I was walking on top of buildings and the border walls. Needs work.

Toy: Boundary areas should be indicated and should be soft kill zones, not hard. Way too open. Why wasn't this built over water?

Watershed: Need to fix respawn zones. e: it was doing this because I forgot to set the team properties on the blue base zone to blue. oops fixed and updated in fileshare

Odessy: Follow me on the camera towards the end, I get stuck somewhere for a while

zumphry

Banned
Films and my impressions will be up tomorrow since I'm feeling tired and also I probably won't make regular HaloGAF customs so blah.

And this is basically me and forge: I can have good ideas, but I can't implement them worth a damn.
Case in point:

4v4-6v6 "competitive" map: Roost (working on a new version and making it better)
6v6-8v8 "Invasion 'compatible' map that fucking sucks (Might just make Aurora a One Flag/Bomb and Territories map without the Invasion part of it)
4v4-6v6 "laid-back" map: Downpour (working on first version)
BTB map on Island (WIP stage)
Idea for Giant Flaming Pit of Lava in Reach (WIP)
(Also editing Breg's map for fun and being a dick and not co-oping a map with hyper)

I really think I need to focus on one map at a time and stop doing my "I'm bored with this map let's do another one" attitude I have.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
power is finally back on, i missed customs AND i never got a chance to upload the newest version of Truss. guess theres always next week :(

Top Bottom