• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

MrBig

NOKYARD said:
I found an extremely simple method for forming round surfaces, and placing items in an accurate circle, so this came together rather quickly.
Now you can't just say something like that and not share.

Map looks much prettier than bereavement.

Raide

MrBig said:
Now you can't just say something like that and not share.

Map looks much prettier than bereavement.

I am sure he posted it before somewhere. Just a calculation of where to place the first object and then exactly what rotation you need to get it looking lovely. :D

NOKYARD

Raide said:
I am sure he posted it before somewhere. Just a calculation of where to place the first object and then exactly what rotation you need to get it looking lovely. :D
No measurements are required and most of the pieces were hand placed (mostly). It's very simple to do (uses only a Spawn Area Marker and a Dish) but a bit too complicated to fully explain in text form so i will film a tut next time i am on Forge.

MrBig

NOKYARD said:
No measurements are required and most of the pieces were hand placed (mostly). It's very simple to do (uses only a Spawn Area Marker and a Dish) but a bit too complicated to fully explain in text form so i will film a tut next time i am on Forge.
Ah, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. Calculating it otherwise isn't exactly quick even if it is easy.

NOKYARD

Here is a video of the short version of the technique.

You can use a Dish, Bunker or Spawn Area Marker for the measuring circle. Any item which can be rotated on the Yaw axis will also work. You can even try using the same item as you are placing for a more accurate matchup (a Brace Large used to position a circle of Brace Large). Spawn Area Markers are great to use because you can adjust the width and length to suit your needs.

The key is to figure out how many items are needed, and how many steps (degrees of change) are required. Then you rotate the placed items to match each step of rotation of the dish. In the video i used 8 Braces, each incremented by 45 degrees. For the upper third of Turbine i used 36 Coliseum Windows, each incremented by 10 degrees.

The math is fairly simple. The number of items multiplied by the degrees of change will always equal 360 degrees. Video 8 items x 45 degrees = 360, Turbine 36 x 10 = 360.

Raide

Added some more spawns to Trapped v2 so people can test is more accurately. In my File Share if anyone wants to try it out and give feedback. Thanks!

NOKYARD

ZayneH said:
Anyone up for some ForgeGAF customs again this Sat?
Put me down for 2 mystery maps.

First is for 4v4 (Bro?) Slayer or SWAT.

Second is for 4v4 Objective, maybe classic versions of Neutral Assault or CTF.

I need some quality films for the Cartographer's Group on these so if anyone drops we may need to re-shoot.

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD said:
Put me down for 2 mystery maps.

First is for 4v4 (Bro?) Slayer or SWAT.

Second is for 4v4 Objective, maybe classic versions of Neutral Assault or CTF.

I need some quality films for the Cartographer's Group on these so if anyone drops we may need to re-shoot.

Colour me intrigued. (also if you have the ForgeWorld update that works with Bro Slayer and Invasion Skirmish I'm totally just going to take those maps and erase everything to make my maps from now on :p)

Hey You said:
Heck yes.

dwJy8.jpg

Striker

ZayneH said:
Anyone up for some ForgeGAF customs again this Sat?
I'll be able to join if you got room. Would like to finish mine but I haven't really changed much in terms of kill zones lately. I just swapped some weapons around due locations; 1-CTF, Slayer, and Territories are set up for it as well as 1-Bomb.

zumphry

Banned
Striker said:
I'll be able to join if you got room. Would like to finish mine but I haven't really changed much in terms of kill zones lately. I just swapped some weapons around due locations; 1-CTF, Slayer, and Territories are set up for it as well as 1-Bomb.

Heh, we always have room. Sent a friend request.

As for the maps, I was worrying that we didn't have a lot, but here's the WIP list I have so far:

Odyssey
Shoopy
Trapped
Reliance
Nok 1
Nok 2
Turbine (?)
Yeti-Bay
Deluge
Moonpool (?)
Aurora (Probably will take all day today to work on the newest version, should have more space for phase 1 of Invasion and for vehicles)

A new version of Lookout won't be coming any time soon (just received some pretty crappy grades for my first semester, and I've lost a lot of my will to Forge), but there's an updated version of Deluge you can play. A word of warning, though, I reduced the maximum amount of players from 16 to 12, to help with spawning.

Striker

Fiddled around with hard and soft kill zones, and they appear to be set. Set the player count to max 10, though I suppose 12 couldn't hurt, either. I prefer it 4v4 myself.

If I'm able to join in, I suggest we can try AR/Pistol starts to see if it does no harm. I spread out a few rifles around the general team areas so they shouldn't be hard to come by.

Only gametypes set for it, so far: 1-CTF, 1-Bomb, Team Slayer, Territories

I set it in my File Share, so it should be the final version assuming all goes right.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13792515&player=Striker029

Retro

ZayneH said:
Heh, we always have room. Sent a friend request.

As for the maps, I was worrying that we didn't have a lot, but here's the WIP list I have so far:

Odyssey
Shoopy
Trapped
Reliance
Nok 1
Nok 2
Turbine (?)
Yeti-Bay
Deluge
Moonpool (?)
Aurora (Probably will take all day today to work on the newest version, should have more space for phase 1 of Invasion and for vehicles)

I won't be able to make it to this week's Customs, but if you want to slip Moonpool into testing (latest version is on my fileshare, hasn't changed from last week so you should still have it), I'd appreciate it. Try One flag CTF, maybe, though Red base is probably still too easy to defend.

zumphry

Banned
Tomorrow's Playlist (so far):

Yeti-Bay |FFA

Deluge |FFA ARs

Turbine |Sky High

Moonpool |1 Flag ARs

Nok 1 |Team SWAT

Minerva |1 Bomb ARs

Trapped |Team Slayer DMRs

Nok 2 |Classic Neutral Assault (DMRs)

Truss |2 Flag (DMRs or ARs?)

Reliance |1 Flag Pro or 1 Flag

Odyssey |2 Flag (DMRs or ARs?)

Time permitting:

Nok 2 |Classic CTF (AR/Pistol)

Reliance |Territories

Aurora |Invasion

___
Weapon start suggestions, or any maps I missed? I hope you guys like objectives.

Raide

I keep making CTF maps :D

It will be fun to see what Trapped looks like in Slayer. I am still tweaking a few bits but I will upload the latest ASAP.

MrBig

That's good, all I EVER get to play in mm is slayer. That's part of the reason I love GAF customs.

Not sure about starting weapons for mine. Probably AR/pistol. If we get everyone's map tested I would like to try DMRs too and see if they are still too dominate.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
forgeGAF, i have a question.

from your experience with the map, would Truss (the bigger of my two "twin bridge" maps) make a good CTF map to play on? i think it would work really well personally, and would finally offer up the bases and under bridges for more combat.

i ask because the reception of it s a slayer match was fairly ho-hum, and if you dont feel it would work in objectives either, i'd rather not waste my time setting it up for the game modes and adding some fixes (decreasing site lines from bridge to bridge and from upper to lower decks primarily).

Blue Ninja said:
No DMR starts for Deluge. Make it regular AR/Pistol starts, as that's what I built it for. :)

good luck with that.

zumphry

Banned
op_ivy said:
forgeGAF, i have a question.

from your experience with the map, would Truss (the bigger of my two "twin bridge" maps) make a good CTF map to play on? i think it would work really well personally, and would finally offer up the bases and under bridges for more combat.

i ask because the reception of it s a slayer match was fairly ho-hum, and if you dont feel it would work in objectives either, i'd rather not waste my time setting it up for the game modes and adding some fixes (decreasing site lines from bridge to bridge and from upper to lower decks primarily).

It'd be a great Multi Flag/Bomb map.

op_ivy said:
good luck with that.

Look above.

op_ivy

ZayneH said:
It'd be a great Multi Flag/Bomb map.

Look above.

i saw that... but it doesnt seem like halo gaf was much of a fan of anything BUT DMR starts :lol

i'll *try* to get truss ready for multiflag CTF for sat then. should be intersting to see the route of flag captures (assuming there are any!). you could run the flag to the man cannons that take you to the top center, but you'd be open to gunfire from most of the map up there, or you could run it underneath the whole way... could be fun

NOKYARD

op_ivy said:
i saw that... but it doesnt seem like halo gaf was much of a fan of anything BUT DMR starts :lol
I was going to mention that.

In order to evaluate the map's weapon layout we should try to also test maps with default MM AR/Pistol starts. That's hard to do when nobody picks up anything other than the Shottie or RL due to DMR starts.

That being said…

Nok 1 |Team SWAT DMR Starts

Nok 2 |Classic Neutral Assault DMR STARTS

Nok 2 |Classic CTF AR/Pistol starts time permitting.

at the request of the map's author.

zumphry

Banned
Current version of Aurora is up on my file share, mostly due to wanting to have a version to fall back on if my disc/hard drive screws me over and replaces one of my maps with another, totally different map like it has 4 Saturdays in a row.

Only set up for Invasion, and has kill barriers (and Safe Zones!) set up. If we get to it I'm hoping to see Nokyard or someone else finding a spot they're not supposed to be on the saved film.

Striker

I would like to try 1 Flag Pro or just 1 Flag on Reliance. I'm curious to how that will play as to what you guys were doing with 1 Bomb, assuming the plan is 4v4.

Territories would be fine if there's a shortage later.

op_ivy said:
Yeah, but that's not a very good way to actually test the weapon placement on the maps, as Nokyard pointed out. I got a 'complaint' last week about somebody not picking up any weapons... But it was a DMR's game. There's 2 DMRS and 2 NR's on the map, if those aren't going to be picked up that leaves the GL, Needler and Shotgun.

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, but that's not a very good way to actually test the weapon placement on the maps, as Nokyard pointed out.

Count me amongst those that enjoy AR/magnum starts. Not because I like the AR--I hate it--but because I like the different challenges provided by the weapon sets on certain maps AND because I love the magnum. If a map wants me to close on opponents rather than plinking them from a mile away then so be it. That is a flavor of Halo I can enjoy.

op_ivy

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, but that's not a very good way to actually test the weapon placement on the maps, as Nokyard pointed out. I got a 'complaint' last week about somebody not picking up any weapons... But it was a DMR's game. There's 2 DMRS and 2 NR's on the map, if those aren't going to be picked up that leaves the GL, Needler and Shotgun.

i agree completely

NOKYARD

Nok 1 |SWAT on Rigged

Nok 2 | Bro Slayer on Sky Dock (unpublished)

Nok 2 |Neutral Assault on Sky Dock (time permitting)

[edit]switched the games around due to the initial load out cameras on Bro Slayer being one of the back field spawns.

MrBig

I'm going to have another map codenamed Splooshy to test out. I haven't got to the bases yet so for now I'll just throw down the Coag bases and see how it plays overall. The final bases aren't even slightly similar so it won't be representative of the final product at all though. Really just want to test out flow, since this map was done without any pre-planning.
It'll be Multi flag DMRs.

I may or may not have another map ready for you guys (got bitten by the Forge bugs yesterday) called Requiem. As the name might give away, it's a Forerunner cremation station (as mentioned in Cryptum), with a lot of influence from Tombstone and Desolation. (Hang 'em High and Derelict).

All right guys, Requiem's done. If you could test it with a Team Slayer match, that'd be awesome.

I'd post screenshots, but I don't have a lot of time, so you'll have to find out for yourself. ;)

op_ivy

Truss.5 - CTF

sorry for the late submission, hopefully this can be squeezed into forgegaf or customs today.

plenty of work went into revising the map, so much so that i'll probably end up changing the name, lol. should work great as a ctf map.

5439475192_ae280e75da_b.jpg

lots of small tweaks, but the biggest and most obvious are the open dish separating the bridges to block some of the massive sight lines previously, and connecting the landing pads together, with a walkway into the front of the base.

Man, there's always something keeping me from making it to Customs.

The problem this week?

No internet at my house for the entire weekend. :(

After missing Customs last week I plan on making a triumphant return. I will be operating on very little sleep so be prepared for slow reflexes and jokes/stories that are started but never go anywhere. Believe.

zumphry

Banned
Customs are starting now, send me (ZayneHumphrey) a message to get in, or join since it's open at 14 players.

The Games:

Yeti-Bay |FFA DMRs

Deluge |FFA ARs

Turbine |Sky High

Moonpool |1 Flag ARs

Rigged |Team SWAT

Minerva |1 Bomb ARs

Trapped |Team Slayer DMRs

Sploosh | Multi Flag DMRs

Sky Dock |Bro Slayer ARs

Truss |2 Flag DMRs

Reliance |1 Flag

Requiem | Team Slayer DMRs

Odyssey |2 Flag ARs

Time permitting:

Sky Dock | Classic Assault

Reliance |Territories DMRs

Aurora |Invasion

I'll have to note that there are 6 games of AR starts, and 6 games of DMR starts. 7 for both if we get into the time permitting games. Not counting Sky High or Invasion, of course. Personally, I hate AR starts, but it is the best for playtesting.

MrBig

Checked at 3 and didn't see anyone so I finished making my peanut butter. Joining now.

e: looks like you guys are playing on nok's map since your on SWAT, so mine is next. Make sure you open the party please

op_ivy

ZayneH said:
I gotta say, focusing on Truss really made it so much better.

great! sorry i had to leave early and missed it

please elaborate latter. curious if the changes would improve TS as well.

MrBig

op_ivy said:
great! sorry i had to leave early and missed it

please elaborate latter. curious if the changes would improve TS as well.
I think it plays much much much better as an objective map than a slayer map. The humps just don't work well and one team dominates in slayer. Objective has a nice flow to it. I really like it now that I've played it on multi flag dmrs

op_ivy

MrBig said:
I think it plays much much much better as an objective map than a slayer map. The humps just don't work well and one team dominates in slayer. Objective has a nice flow to it. I really like it now that I've played it on multi flag dmrs

really good news, i'll make sure it supports all objective modes in the future. any issues, or suggestions, other then the expected odd forge issues here and there?

Striker

Let me know what changes Reliance could use for those who played in it today. There was some suggestions like a Sniper removal or adding more vehicles. I think the only addition I could do there is a Warthog, but I've been iffy on that in the hilly areas.

I could take out the human Sniper and add something else. Open to ideas.

How was Requiem? I quickly threw Team Spawns on it so you guys could test the layout of the map, and had to real quickly edit the Mancannons to make sure they didn't propel you into a soft-kill zone. Did everything work?

Top Bottom