• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

MrBig

op_ivy said:
congrats guys! both GAF maps are among the very best (if not THE best) i've seen from the community slayer playlist
Yes they certainly are.

Any chance of an objective community playlist popping up for the new Watershed to have a chance?

Here's Untracked's containment remake (revised by me.) He wanted me to post it here since he's still a junior.

reach_14619792_Full.jpg

reach_14619753_Full.jpg

reach_14619762_Full.jpg

reach_14619785_Full.jpg

reach_14619798_Full.jpg

Supports CTF, Bomb, and Territories.
Download - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14594264&player=Mr Kwatz

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
The new Community Slayer playlist is up, with the first selections from the Community Cartographers, and it features not one, but two ForgeGAF maps. Way to go, Sikamikanico and squidhands!

Affinity
Core
Crown Of Flies
Kingdom

Aspirocity
Capacitor
Enclosed
Obsidian
Thrust
Historical Site
Mine Site
Treasury​
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/playlists.aspx

I've dabbled with a few other maps in the playlist from the Cartographers group, and they're all excellent. I think we're going to get some gems from this set, and hopefully a few pulled into the general matchmaking.

Grats to Sikamikanico and squidhands. Both really great maps. Now I have to make something good to join the club. :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MrBig said:
Yes they certainly are.

Any chance of an objective community playlist popping up for the new Watershed to have a chance?

this please. somehow, i never paid attention to the fact that the majority of my maps are focused on objective gametypes.... but community slayer is just, well, slayer!

hopefully, after some testing, Oppidum is looked upon favorably.

Untracked

MrBig said:
Here's Untracked's containment remake (revised by me.) He wanted me to post it here since he's still a junior.
Supports CTF, Bomb, and Territories.
Download - http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14594264&player=Mr Kwatz
Nobody is interested in juniors lol.
You did a seriously great job polishing my map! It's much better, just needs some playtesting, I'm worried about that Splazer now.
Your pics aren't working for me BTW.

EDIT: Heres a video of the old version. (I'll update it soon).
MrBig has worked his magic on a lot of stuff since this video was made.
It's much tidier and it should play a lot better too :D

op_ivy

Untracked said:
You did a seriously great job polishing my map! It's much better, just needs some playtesting, I'm worried about that Splazer now.
Your pics aren't working for me BTW.

oh wow, just realized what map that is! mr friends and i loved that map and it looks like you captured it pretty well

GhaleonEB said:
The new Community Slayer playlist is up, with the first selections from the Community Cartographers, and it features not one, but two ForgeGAF maps. Way to go, Sikamikanico and squidhands!

Affinity
Core
Crown Of Flies
Kingdom

Aspirocity
Capacitor
Enclosed
Obsidian
Thrust
Historical Site
Mine Site
Treasury​

I've dabbled with a few other maps in the playlist from the Cartographers group, and they're all excellent. I think we're going to get some gems from this set, and hopefully a few pulled into the general matchmaking.

Awesomesauce. I've plonked a feedback thread (a master list of which is stickied) in Bungie's Optimatch forum. I think Squidhands has done the same.

I just hope I actually get a chance to go on and play it this week!

Untracked said:
GhaleonEB said:
Sikamikanico

Of course we're interested in Juniors (no offense Sika). I think Lookout got played when I was a Junior too, I'm not sure anymore. Ah Lookout, good times.

By the way, has anyone heard of Zayne? After last week's Customs apparently went wrong, I haven't heard of him.

GhaleonEB said:

Affinity
Core
Crown Of Flies
Kingdom

Aspirocity
Capacitor
Enclosed
Obsidian
Thrust
Historical Site
Mine Site
Treasury​

Woohoo! It was a real trip to play my own map in matchmaking last night. Still waiting to play Kingdom, but Affinity is a really good map, and Historical Site is pretty cool apart from a few weird spawns.

op_ivy

Blue Ninja said:
Sikamikanico

Of course we're interested in Juniors (no offense Sika). I think Lookout got played when I was a Junior too, I'm not sure anymore. Ah Lookout, good times.

By the way, has anyone heard of Zayne? After last week's Customs apparently went wrong, I haven't heard of him.

i pm'd him and got an immediate response.

speaking of though... anyone willing and able to take over organizing forgeGAF?

with a new baby, i cant make the commitment unfortunately

NOKYARD

I would love to do it full time but i have commitments every second Saturday, and the first half of April.

If someone would like to split the duties i could do it March 19 & 26, then every second weekend after mid April.

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
He said he's taking a break for a while. He asked me to take over in the interim, but yes splitting it up would be easier.

op_ivy

so, are you two splitting it, with MrBig handling duties this week?

if so, same time and format?

i'd like to test:
Mind the Gap.1 - 1 Flag CTF. 8 to 12 players (8 preferred). recommended AR/magnum starts.

Oppidum.3 - community slayer settings. 8 to 12 players (8 preferred).

Truss.6 - CTF (2 Flag). 8 to 16 players (8-12 preferred). recommended DMR starts.

Striker

There should be more tests for setting these maps up Community playlists.

I'll be free to tryout and help if need be. Would love for Reliance to get more work and progress - these games help evaluate spawns and so forth.

Just played Kingdom, and I loved it. Really deserves its place in the playlist. I'm not too sure about Crown of Flies, though. I'm gonna need to give that one another go.

op_ivy

Blue Ninja said:
Just played Kingdom, and I loved it. Really deserves its place in the playlist. I'm not too sure about Crown of Flies, though. I'm gonna need to give that one another go.

while i think kingdom is a *good* map (especially compared to the majority of the other community slayer offerings), i dont get the love for it. its a really simple layout with long sight lines and all fights occur at the same range. the only interesting thing that occurs is attempts to flank the constant battles that occur at the corners of the map.

crown of flies though, is seriously a great asymmetrical map IMO, right up there in quality with bungie's shipped maps. it really encourages constant movement, and the different areas of it encourage different tactics. i love it.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
while i think kingdom is a *good* map (especially compared to the majority of the other community slayer offerings), i dont get the love for it. its a really simple layout with long sight lines and all fights occur at the same range. the only interesting thing that occurs is attempts to flank the constant battles that occur at the corners of the map.
That hasn't been my experience on the map. A lot of the fights are corner to corner DMR/Nerfle shoot outs - which I like - but the central structure and flanking routes mean there's a fair amount of closer range combat. Teams were moving constantly to avoid getting pinned in a corner, and the long sight lines mean other players can spot the positions shifting and try to head them off. Lots of tactical jockeying for position over medium ranges.

It might also be my distaste for Reach's CQC that makes the map more appealing to me.

op_ivy

GhaleonEB said:
That hasn't been my experience on the map. A lot of the fights are corner to corner DMR/Nerfle shoot outs - which I like - but the central structure and flanking routes mean there's a fair amount of closer range combat. Teams were moving constantly to avoid getting pinned in a corner, and the long sight lines mean other players can spot the positions shifting and try to head them off. Lots of tactical jockeying for position over medium ranges.

It might also be my distaste for Reach's CQC that makes the map more appealing to me.

even when the fights have been at or around the central point, i've found its still medium-far to long range DMR neerfle battles, which while fun dont offer a lot of variability. i have only played the map with dmr starts though, so that could be a part of it.

i love me some dmr and neerfles, but i'm not the biggest fan of them being default start weapons on all maps like some for the above reason.

op_ivy said:
even when the fights have been at or around the central point, i've found its still medium-far to long range DMR neerfle battles, which while fun dont offer a lot of variability. i have only played the map with dmr starts though, so that could be a part of it.

i love me some dmr and neerfles, but i'm not the biggest fan of them being default start weapons on all maps like some for the above reason.

I'm the same - on small maps like this, I want AR's all the way.

And feel free to leave some feedback over at the Optimatch!

Gui_PT

Sikamikanico said:
Gui - I might play some Halo tonight, if you're around? Got room on your FR?

You can definitely add me. GT: Monolith Gui

But I don't think I'll play more Halo today. Already played it for too long trying to get the weekly =\

op_ivy

Sikamikanico said:
I'm the same - on small maps like this, I want AR's all the way.

And feel free to leave some feedback over at the Optimatch!

i prefer the magnum personally, but AR/magnum starts offer more types of engagements on smaller maps. yes, you will find me sprinting for the nearest DMR/neerfle with AR starts, but more then likely, in general, combat will occur in these matches over a wider range of distances and situations. its not just *ping *ping *ping from hundreds of feet away, take cover, rinse, repeat.

and sorry, i'm a one forum man. i'll post my feedback here!

Gui_PT said:
Could I possibly join you guys tomorrow?

i don't know that its happening. no one, that i'm aware of, has stepped in to fill Zayne's role. we need FORGEGAF. don't let it die :(

Gui_PT said:
You can definitely add me. GT: Monolith Gui

But I don't think I'll play more Halo today. Already played it for too long trying to get the weekly =\

Done. I'll probably be around tomorrow too. :)

Presco

Trying to get back into Reach and decided to give forging a go. A friend and I started work on an entirely underwater map yesterday. It feels uncannily claustrophobic. Will share it here if we ever complete it.

op_ivy said:

crown of flies though, is seriously a great asymmetrical map IMO, right up there in quality with bungie's shipped maps. it really encourages constant movement, and the different areas of it encourage different tactics. i love it.
Wow, thanks for that. <3

MrBig

Customs tomorrow 3pm EST (-5GMT.) Everyone who wants to join us is welcome, we don't limit to authors.

List of maps submitted since last week, including those that didn't get tested in time. If you want to add your map to the list again just say so.

Yeti Dome 1.2 - FFA Crazy King
Pork V2 - Multi Flag ARs
Rigged - Community Slayer ARs
Reliance - 1 Bomb DMRs
Byzantine - Community Slayer DMRs
Mind the Gap.1 - 1 Flag ARs
Watershed.5 - Slayer DMRs
Truss.6 - Multi Flag DMRs
Aquamatic - Community Slayer ARs
Containment.1 - Multi Flag DMRs
Oppidum.3 - Community Slayer ARs
Fusion - 1 Bomb ARs
Reactor - Slayer DMRs
Minerva - 1 Flag DMRs
Abyssus - Territories DMRs
_________________________________________ Second Games
Truss.6 - Slayer DMRs | G2
Watershed.5 - Multi Flag DMRs | G2
Containment.1 - Territories DMRs | G2

Just so that people knows, the difference between my gametypes and community GTs is that there's no armor lock or other inappropriate AAs.

I guess we can have dani use some of the bigger maps (Containment, Truss, Watershed, etc.) for his customs since he was in need of bigger maps due to new members. If they play well of course.

O D I N

MrBig said:
Customs tomorrow 3pm EST (-5GMT.) Everyone who wants to join us is welcome, we don't limit to authors.

List of maps submitted since last week, including those that didn't get tested in time. If you want to add your map to the list again just say so.

Yeti Dome 1.2 - FFA DMRs (I might go in and add support for king if it's not supported already.)
Pork V2 - Multi Flag ARs
Reliance - 1 Bomb DMRs
Fusion - 1 Bomb ARs
Minerva - 1 Flag DMRs

Done with work at 3 central. I'll check in then.

MrBig said:

Yeti Dome 1.2 - FFA DMRs (I might go in and add support for king if it's not supported already.)
Pork V2 - Multi Flag ARs
Reliance - 1 Bomb DMRs
Fusion - 1 Bomb ARs
Minerva - 1 Flag DMRs

I'll be on around that time.

Are there any friend requests I should send out or just join in?
(My GT for those interested=my user name)

Thank you for puting my map up by the way.

Here's an updated version of Aquamatic: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14747004&player=BEARCANO

I got rid of the monster closets, added a few more spawns, and added some more cover towards the bridge to try and even the map out a little. I also added a couple DMRs down that way and moved some of the other weapon spawns. Lots of little tweaks that should hopefully improve the map overall.

Again, I'd like to play it with the Community Slayer gametype, though I also have it set for CTF and Oddball.

NOKYARD

MrBig said:
We're usually close to being through all the maps by then but ya
3:pM Central is one hour into the test.

Add Rigged (no link yet) to the test. Community Slayer, AR or DMR starts.

The last version was pulled from internal testing due to frame rate issues so i want to make sure it's perfect this time.

Raide

I keep making maps and I am not confident in any of them for Community Slayer stuff. :D Must make more maps!

Great to see the ForgeGAF community is alive and well.

MrBig

NOKYARD said:
3:pM Central is one hour into the test.
Ah, thought central was 2 behind est, nevermind then.

And if anyone wants a second gametype tested, that's what the G2 marking on my lists are.

MrBig

Sikamikanico said:
New map is well into construction...on Tempest! :D Also got a cool combination of lighting effects going on. Hope they can stay in.
I didn't undestand why they included all of the forge world objects on such a relatively small map, and then made the invisible walls and kill barriers so close the normal play area. Props to you for actually doing something with it.

Customs starting in 3 hours.

Running commentary (updated with each map we try):

Pork v2: Horrible. You never spawn into cover, and jetpacks completely dominate the map, especially standing atop the central structure. Not enough cover in general. Accidentally fell off the map multiple times. There should be railings in a lot of places, and a lot more cover to protect from skyward opponents. Really hated this map :(

Rigged: Serious framerate issues in the center area, no indication that you shouldn't jump down below center level into kill zone -- and then no way out, that I could see, if you are only using sprint. Otherwise I enjoyed the map.

Reliance: A little better than before, but still too big for the number we had. Also, the teams were pretty stacked at this point (and 5v4 as well) so it was an easy domination by one team. Still not a big fan of it.

Byzantine: This map was pretty good. A little bigger than it lets on, and hard to call out to others where you are -- not a lot of landmarks to help orient yourself. But the areas of the map played pretty well, and it wasn't hard to see your enemies. Pretty fun.

Mind The Gap.1: In one flag it was too easy to defend the flag, and the trench made it really hard to move the flag out otherwise. In regular CTF, the trenches were still too easily defended, making the low flag easier to defend than the high flag. Too uneven overall. Probably cool for slayer though.

Watershed: Big improvements over the previous versions. I wonder if there's another way to the central platforms other than the jumps, though I guess jetpacks take care of that problem. Good stuff. Really liked it.

Aquamatic: Need to fix the framerate issues around the glass near the back :(

op_ivy

timetokill said:
Mind The Gap.1: In one flag it was too easy to defend the flag, and the trench made it really hard to move the flag out otherwise. In regular CTF, the trenches were still too easily defended, making the low flag easier to defend than the high flag. Too uneven overall. Probably cool for slayer though.

curious how slayer will work...

not sure i agree how 1 flag was too easy to defend though. the first game, no one had any idea about the layout and i was the only one dropping down on the flag side, everyone else seemed to focus on the stars. needs more testing, and possibly moving the flag.

also, i dont believe the spawns were even set correctly for multiflag, as it was never intended for that.

Top Bottom