• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Forge |OT| - Create, Share & Kill

Shake Appeal said:
Ardis

Though its contents have long been lost, this Forerunner exhibition hall remains a remarkable curiosity. (6-10 players)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/iambic5/Ardis1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/iambic5/Ardis2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a343/iambic5/Ardis3.jpg[IMG]

Haven't done spawns/objectives yet, but I'm working on those, and I want to give it a few playtests before I start tweaking geometry or putting in needless decorative stuff I'll later have to (re)move. So this is basically what it will look like.

Weapon count: 4x DMR, 2x Plasma Pistol, 2x Magnum, 2x Needle Rifle, 1x Shotgun, 1x Sniper Rifle, 2x Grenade Launcher.

Basic idea is a symmetrical Team Slayer/CTF map, ideally for 4v4. Teams spawn facing each other behind glass.[/QUOTE]

I love the look of this map. This one and a couple of others really manage to not have the default Forge look.

Raide

koshunter said:
I love the look of this map. This one and a couple of others really manage to not have the default Forge look.

I think lighting and placement play a large part in this. As people learn more tricks, maps will start to stand out from the crowd. Already the ForgeGAF have made some awesome maps. We just need to get everyone together and do some massive testing!

Raide said:
I think lighting and placement play a large part in this. As people learn more tricks, maps will start to stand out from the crowd. Already the ForgeGAF have made some awesome maps. We just need to get everyone together and do some massive testing!

Oh definitely. So far I've been just giving everything a download and doing a 1 vs 1 match with my brother when I get time. Not exactly extensive testing but at least I get a feel for the maps.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Azar said:
Do you guys know what the deal is with kill boundaries? I set them in my map, yet they never seem to kill me once I test my Race map in a custom game. I know they're set to gametype neutral, spawn at the beginning etc. because I haven't tweaked any of their basic settings other than size. Do they just break when you make them too big, or something?

i've had no problems with killzones... are you sure they are reaching the ground? often you have to manually set the bottom of the killzone to actually reach the floor.

Azar

op_ivy said:
i've had no problems with killzones... are you sure they are reaching the ground? often you have to manually set the bottom of the killzone to actually reach the floor.
Maybe that was the problem, since I'm placing them in the air. The majority of my map is suspended over an island, and falling off and landing on the ground makes it impossible to finish the race in time. But extending the top and bottom of the volume seemed to work, strangely enough. So problem probably solved! Map incoming.

McNei1y

Damn Gaf. I'm loving the maps. Ya'll put mine to shame. It's not even worth a share. (I was drunk when I started it and then built on it. It looks terrible)

I really need to hop into some customs to play some of these maps.

Raide

McNei1y said:
Damn Gaf. I'm loving the maps. Ya'll put mine to shame. It's not even worth a share. (I was drunk when I started it and then built on it. It looks terrible)

I really need to hop into some customs to play some of these maps.

Post it up!

Even if you think its rubbish, I am sure we can offer some tips and feedback to get it on track. :D

McNei1y

Raide said:
Post it up!

Even if you think its rubbish, I am sure we can offer some tips and feedback to get it on track. :D

I'll do it in an hour or so. Heading to class now.

It was an attempt at a Chiron/Chill Out successor but I built it up in maybe 2 hours. I didn't make anything look neat. Floor panels and structures are clipping on different areas of the map. :lol It looks like Inception took over my map.

I'll post it though. :D

Azar

Skyrace
Skyrace Map | Skyrace Game

What began as a long walkway in the sky morphed into a twisty-turny mancannon-laden race map, dominated by tight spaces for the majority of the race. However, at the halfway point the race opens up into a free-for-all on the island below, with numerous checkpoints to be completed in any order. Can you find the fastest route?

reach_2520749_Full.jpg

reach_2520859_Full.jpg

reach_2520862_Full.jpg

The shining glory of this map is a massive mancannon shaft. RacerGAF, I hope you give it a shot and enjoy! It's not the kind of race you'll repeat tons of times competitively, but it's a fun experience map. And if you don't want to download the gametype, just set it to basic rally with a 6 minute time limit and 5 second respawns. That should do the trick.

NOKYARD

Azar said:
Do you guys know what the deal is with kill boundaries
Set safe boundaries in the playable areas. Everything outside of them is a kill volume. Use kill boundaries for small off-limits area within the safe area.

Please tell me i am wrong. It appears that, even though the core is actually a flag, you cannot set properties to allow a core carrier to ride in a vehicle. If so, my Invasion map will have to be turned into a Flag map.

Azar said:
Skyrace

What began as a long walkway in the sky morphed into a twisty-turny mancannon-laden race map, dominated by tight spaces for the majority of the race. However, at the halfway point the race opens up into a free-for-all on the island below, with numerous checkpoints to be completed in any order. Can you find the fastest route?

The shining glory of this map is a massive mancannon shaft. RacerGAF, I hope you give it a shot and enjoy! It's not the kind of race you'll repeat tons of times competitively, but it's a fun experience map. And if you don't want to download the gametype, just set it to basic rally with a 6 minute time limit and 5 second respawns. That should do the trick.

Deal. Will do. Looks fun. Can't wait to ride in that shaft.

epik

-Yeti said:
So here's a picture of my very unfinished map. This is just a small portion of what's to come:

ohptzd.jpg

I'm imagining a really great asymmetrical map made for one-sided objective games. I'm basically just winging the design without much planning, so I hope it turns out.

The part shown will be the very top of the map and somewhere on that structure will be where the objective spawns for the defending team.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link to the pic. :lol

Minas Tirith?

zumphry

Banned
NOKYARD, Shake, and timetokill: GOD DAMN your maps look amazing. Too bad it's discouraging me from ever trying to forge anything :lol .

epik said:
Minas Tirith?

No, but it's certainly an inspiration to the architecture. :p

That's pretty much the only part that will look anything like Minas Tirith. I just thought that certain part would be a really cool design choice for my map.

Raide

:lol

I just put down 2 man-cannons facing each other at a set angle, then dropped landmines into them. At the right distance, they just keep on going! I think I just made a moving mine-field. Might be a fun trap to drop into maps. :D

NOKYARD

FourDoor said:
Nok, that phase 1 level looks nuts! Can't wait to see what the final levels will look like.
There is a hint a few frames after the Turret is destroyed.

Phase 1: The original plan had Elites spawn on the island with 4 Banshee and 2 Falcons. Invade the terminal from the air through 4 possible openings and override the locks on the people movers (teleporters) to access the hangar.

Phase 2: Once inside the hangar, override the locks to the control room stairs, which allows assess to the Core and 2 Banshee.

Phase 3: Get the Core back to the island. Defender respawns are setup so that each team has a minimum of 2 Banshee and 2 Falcons available for the air battle back to the island.

Phase one is, by design, to be a slaughterfest for the Elites while making phases progressively more difficult. The idea was to force the final conflict to the skies between the hangar and the island. Unfortunately, the plan may not work if the Core carrier cannot be a passenger in a Falcon. The Core was always dropped during testing and we couldn't even get in the passenger seat of a Warthog.

Hugbot

NOKYARD said:

Phase 1: The original plan had Elites spawn on the island with 4 Banshee and 2 Falcons. Invade the terminal from the air through 4 possible openings and override the locks on the people movers (teleporters) to access the hangar.

Phase 2: Once inside the hangar, override the locks to the control room stairs, which allows assess to the Core and 2 Banshee.

Phase 3: Get the Core back to the island. Defender respawns are setup so that each team has a minimum of 2 Banshee and 2 Falcons available for the air battle back to the island.

Phase one is, by design, to be a slaughterfest for the Elites while making phases progressively more difficult. The idea was to force the final conflict to the skies between the hangar and the island. Unfortunately, the plan may not work if the Core carrier cannot be a passenger in a Falcon. The Core was always dropped during testing and we couldn't even get in the passenger seat of a Warthog.
That's a real bummer if you can't find a workaround. It seems like you'd lose a lot scaling it back to a CTF map.

NOKYARD

Hugbot said:
That's a real bummer if you can't find a workaround. It seems like you'd lose a lot scaling it back to a CTF map.
Assault.

At lease with the Bomb i can force air combat by making a floating arming point with a slow-burn timer. I would just have to make access to the hangar more difficult for the attackers.

ZayneH said:
NOKYARD, Shake, and timetokill: GOD DAMN your maps look amazing. Too bad it's discouraging me from ever trying to forge anything :lol .

Thank you!
You should really give it a shot, though. I think we all probably go in with different motivations for our maps. It can definitely be a very time-consuming thing though, it's definitely not for everyone.

railGUN

Banned
NOKYARD said:

I think the core carrier can stand on top of a Falcon - Players without it can definitely ride on top.

McNei1y

Okay, here is my drunken creation turned map.

Lucid: In a lucid dream, anything goes.

Lucid1.jpg

Lucid2.jpg

Lucid3.jpg

Lucid4.jpg

This map was mostly a test to see what structures and stuff existed. I went to one area, placed an object, and built around it. It's sloppy but it plays. I did a 4 man slayer game with my buddies. It was decent. Mostly close quarters with 3 big rooms and an outside for sniping. All I have on it is slayer.

I also made another map earlier for me and 2 other friends. It was 3 bases spawned around a block. Each person spawns in the tower. On one side of the block is a pathway to a flag. They race towards the flag and have to bring it back to their base.

Raide

Azar said:
Skyrace

I always play maps in Forge first, just to get a good idea of the layout.

Seems like it would make a pretty awesome Invasion map. :lol

I like the map since it actually made me think about Trials HD instead of racing. :lol Maybe a few more obstacles to test people would be good. Man-cannon tower is pretty awesome but if you get flipped over, the view you get is really difficult to control and orientate yourself. Kinda fun on foot too. :D

Don't forget to select objects, press B and then Edit Coordinates. This snaps each object to exact in-game units. This makes it so much easier when it comes to getting flat(ish) surfaces. Some of the areas on your map have annoying little bumps caused by objects not snapped to exact units. It makes the map harder than it should be. (Big circular tower is a good example. Mongoose can snag these edges) If you plan on having people time-trial it, it would be good to smooth all the edges out as you go along.

Nice work and fun too!

McNei1y said:
Okay, here is my drunken creation turned map.

Lucid: In a lucid dream, anything goes.

This map was mostly a test to see what structures and stuff existed. I went to one area, placed an object, and built around it. It's sloppy but it plays. I did a 4 man slayer game with my buddies. It was decent. Mostly close quarters with 3 big rooms and an outside for sniping. All I have on it is slayer.

I also made another map earlier for me and 2 other friends. It was 3 bases spawned around a block. Each person spawns in the tower. On one side of the block is a pathway to a flag. They race towards the flag and have to bring it back to their base.

Can you fire it up into your Fileshare? Looks pretty cool! You might find out the best maps are the ones that try things a little differently.

railGUN

Banned
My first map - Omaha Reach (game type Invasion)

Beach will have more clutter / cover if budget allows (which it should)
GWiYV.jpg

There will be 2 capture points on the walls for Phase 1 (there are 3 entry points currently but I will probably add a 4th)
mpwZF.jpg

Phase 2 has you capturing the roof of the far bunker
mywaC.jpg

Phase 3 has you taking the core from the ground floor of the bunker to this small generator on the left (back towards the beach) - if this is too chaotic, I can have the core drop point further inland (but I'm hoping the double back provides some hectic mid-field battles
18uIw.jpg

Now that I have most of the required geometry out, I am going to set all the spawn points etc. for as many game types that work (but it's primarily for classic Invasion), add in the guns / vehicles, and then spend the remaining budget on details.

Azar

Raide said:
I always play maps in Forge first, just to get a good idea of the layout.

Seems like it would make a pretty awesome Invasion map. :lol

I like the map since it actually made me think about Trials HD instead of racing. :lol Maybe a few more obstacles to test people would be good. Man-cannon tower is pretty awesome but if you get flipped over, the view you get is really difficult to control and orientate yourself. Kinda fun on foot too. :D

Don't forget to select objects, press B and then Edit Coordinates. This snaps each object to exact in-game units. This makes it so much easier when it comes to getting flat(ish) surfaces. Some of the areas on your map have annoying little bumps caused by objects not snapped to exact units. It makes the map harder than it should be. (Big circular tower is a good example. Mongoose can snag these edges) If you plan on having people time-trial it, it would be good to smooth all the edges out as you go along.

Nice work and fun too!
Thanks for trying it out. I will definitely use edit coordinates on every item I place whenever I build another map, but yeah I didn't do it for everything on this one. For the most part, it didn't matter--minor bumps between bridges don't do much to the mongoose, and it's definitely not a map that's meant to be pretty. :lol

I think the circular staircase would be easy to snag on regardless, but I may tweak that.

Regarding your maps, Raide: friends and I tried em out this afternoon, and thought the one with the mancannons/teleports (Death Trap? I forget) was good times. I wasn't using any custom gametypes, if you've made those, but with basic slayer/team slayer settings we kept spawning all over Forge World instead of on your maps. :(

Raide

Azar said:
Thanks for trying it out. I will definitely use edit coordinates on every item I place whenever I build another map, but yeah I didn't do it for everything on this one. For the most part, it didn't matter--minor bumps between bridges don't do much to the mongoose, and it's definitely not a map that's meant to be pretty. :lol

I think the circular staircase would be easy to snag on regardless, but I may tweak that.

Regarding your maps, Raide: friends and I tried em out this afternoon, and thought the one with the mancannons/teleports (Death Trap? I forget) was good times. I wasn't using any custom gametypes, if you've made those, but with basic slayer/team slayer settings we kept spawning all over Forge World instead of on your maps. :(

Yeah, I have been remaking old maps, so Death Trap was my first real map. I prefer 4v4 or less player for maps. Some nice close quarters stuff is always fun.

I am really poor with spawns. I tend to make maps to play with geometry and what I can force Forge to do, and then move on. :lol I really should 100% finish them. I will get the spawns sorted and upload it again. Did you notice the power weapons placed near to the teleport entrances? I thought I would try and see if it worked. I had heavy cannons shooting you so hard that you died on impact at the other end.:lol

Azar

Raide said:
Did you notice the power weapons placed near to the teleport entrances? I thought I would try and see if it worked. I had heavy cannons shooting you so hard that you died on impact at the other end.:lol
Yup, we managed to get both of them, though it took me a few tries to get the fuel rod gun. But we were also playing with 200% speed to explore maps more quickly, so it's hard to judge exactly how the movement works normally. But we could definitely reach them! It was a clever touch.

Raide

Azar said:
Yup, we managed to get both of them, though it took me a few tries to get the fuel rod gun. But we were also playing with 200% speed to explore maps more quickly, so it's hard to judge exactly how the movement works normally. But we could definitely reach them! It was a clever touch.

:lol I will tweak the Fuel Rod then, trying to make it easier to get. I might have messed the placement up a bit.

200% must have been insane on that small map. :D I wanted to make it obvious someone was going for a power weapon, so the other players would know to expect impending doom.

Klyka

Banned
Hey guys!
Helloween, Kikoskia and me just finished work on our little remake of the Unreal Tournament map "Facing Worlds". It's a 2 team CTF map, build for a maximum of 6vs6. It would be great if you could test it out and give us feedback!
Here's the download link and some screenshots:

Have fun!

Raide

Klyka said:
Hey guys!
Helloween, Kikoskia and me just finished work on our little remake of the Unreal Tournament map "Facing Worlds". It's a 2 team CTF map, build for a maximum of 6vs6. It would be great if you could test it out and give us feedback!
Here's the download link and some screenshots:

Have fun!

At last! Will download and try it out!

MrBig

Major geometry is done, but theres still a bit of work to do. I could shoot Whoever decided to limit building blocks at 100.
reach_2584553_Full.jpg

reach_2584573_Full.jpg

reimagining of Headlong

ckohler

I'm really enjoying building in Forge 2.0. However, I'm really frustrated at the lack of instruction/directions on how various things work. Not even the OP of this thread has much help. I checked out http://www.forgehub.com/ but I could only find information about Halo 3 Forge, not Reach.

Is there *ANY* decent, comprehensive guide to all the options, objects and understanding how to set up game types? A wiki for example?

McNei1y

Raide said:
Can you fire it up into your Fileshare? Looks pretty cool! You might find out the best maps are the ones that try things a little differently.

Sure, just uploaded it.

Lucid

If you play it, let me know what you think!

_Bro

Banned
NOKYARD said:

What you could is have the core run along an opened sky street back to the island. This would provide the need for cover from the skies while also making it a run without a major risk of the core falling. If you have the street meet at a lower part of the island there could even be an ascending battle, just that final huge push to the top. Could be pretty grand if done correctly.

railGUN

Banned
ckohler said:
I'm really enjoying building in Forge 2.0. However, I'm really frustrated at the lack of instruction/directions on how various things work. Not even the OP of this thread has much help. I checked out http://www.forgehub.com/ but I could only find information about Halo 3 Forge, not Reach.

Is there *ANY* decent, comprehensive guide to all the options, objects and understanding how to set up game types? A wiki for example?

This explains how to set up Invasion - there's another great write up on the Bungie site, I just need to find it.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=28649

edit: here's the other link for the other game types + some other info.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49035808

ckohler

Thanks railGUN but both of those links already appear in this thread's original post. While I did find them useful, even those guides expect you to understand a lot about how to use the Forge Interface already. I'm hoping there is a more comprehensive guide out there, somewhere.

cazosozey

ckohler said:
Thanks railGUN but both of those links already appear in this thread's original post. While I did find them useful, even those guides expect you to understand a lot about how to use the Forge Interface already. I'm hoping there is a more comprehensive guide out there, somewhere.

Whats the main trouble your facing?

btw I enjoy your co-op mode videos very much

ZayneH said:
If I can make a map, anyone can. I barely touched Forge in Halo 3 because I found it infuriating. There are still irritating things in Reach, and far too many restrictions compared to fully-fledged tools on the PC (or even something like Far Cry 2), but if you work within those and get a handle on the tools, it's actually a very quick process to put something together.

Striker

ckohler said:

Try this: http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=49035808

ShogunX

Shogun PaiN said:
Just got done with creating Jacinto from Gears of War and two custom game types for the map.

Pictures -

Front View
2h58ilh.jpg

Back View
2gxia1s.jpg

Jacinto Remake currently supports all Slayer gametypes, Oddball, Static KOTH and Headhunter. CTF and Infection hopefully Coming soon.

Download Link - Jacinto

Custom Gametypes -

Gears Classic - Best of Five rounds, One life per round, Shotgun/Assault/Evade Loadout, No jumping, Nades Pick up only.

Download Link
- Gears Classic

Spartans of War
- 25 Score limit, Full jumping, 2x Frags, Shotgun/Assault/Evade Loadout.

Download Link - Spartans of War

Quick update - Managed to get on to the first page for most downloaded maps (Jacinto) and for game variants (Gears Classic) so I'm very pleased with the positive reception the map has had so far. Currently the Map has over 10,000 downloads and the Variant almost 5,000 :D.

I wanted to remake a map from halo 1 that hadn't been made alot yet. So that's why I picked Prisoner for my first shot at forge. Just finished with the bottom floor and this is the result:

Screenshot.ashx

Screenshot.ashx

Screenshot.ashx

I've had my halo pc right next to me to make sure about the dimensions and scale and general location of objects. Along with a top down view of the original prisoner just to make sure it's as accurate as possible. Some of the floor sticks out some but putting a wall over will fix it most likely. Not exactly pretty looking yet, but I plan on getting the layout down and saving my budget before I start editing the small things for looks.

Doing the walls is my next priority after that moving on to the 2nd floor and so on. If you think it needs some changes feel free to tell me. This is my first time after all.

cazosozey

kai3345 said:
How the hell do I set bomb points for assault? Whenever I got to objectives all I ever see is flag stuff

Its called like capture plates, right next to the flag stuff and hill markers, you have to be in a assault gametype in forge to change the label though.

First time forging, it took me like an hour to figure out the best way to line up some 5x5 blocks. You guys amaze the shit out of me.

Anywho, I started on my "Inspired by q3 DM 16" map. Hopefully I have enough mancannons :).

BTW, can you adjust mancannon power at all? One thing I want to do involves mancannons that are near each other that head to different locations.

Also, I noticed on the building block objects I could set shape to cylinder or box, and adjust coordinates, does that do anything?

Top Bottom