• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

I'm learning to really enjoy the Co-op Campaign playlist. Dudes drop out, it's me solo to knock off the Challenge and get a good, Firefight-esque payout at the end.

I took my time and spent some time exploring Exodus and found bunches of foot routes I didn't realize were there, and a sniper rifle I'd missed so far. The two meant I played the next several encounters in a new way. Was pretty neat.

MIMIC

Banned
Schmitty said:
Any tips for trying to get a double kill from the grave or should I just wait for my lucky moment for that?

Got the achievement the other day. I used the tips that I read on the achievement forum: try to get it in Invasion. You'll have a lot more luck in this playlist because 1) of the massive amount of sticky grenades, 2) you're guaranteed to have stickies because you'll get to be on the Elite team at least once and 3) people bunched into small areas usually nets you double kills with the grenades.

Get in those Alpha/Bravo areas and toss grenades like your life depends on it. Try to sticky someone right before you die.

It's a little frustrating, though. I got a double kill from the grave TWICE and the achievement didn't pop up. I think that there is a 1-1.5 second window between your death and your opponents' death. I died and got a double kill about 4 seconds later (during the "trying to respawn on a teammate" phase
01laugh.gif
). You'll eventually get it in this playlist though.

What I did: Invasion on Boneyard and used camo. This was actually the Slayer one and not the phase kind of Invasion. Video of what happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb2m3nHprXU

**The enemy team was in a tank. I waited for the tank to get heavily damaged (and contributed to the damage). Then, come out of camo in front of the tank. Hope that they see you. Then throw a sticky grenade. BOOM, I'm dead. BOOM, I got the achievement. :)

It's essentially a luck-based achievement but you can definitely increase your odds on this playlist.

Striker

First vote phase:

Elite Slayer
Team Headhunter
Team Hundhunter

None of the above plz.

Second vote phase:

Elite Slayer
Stockpile
Stockpile

-__________________-

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kuroyume said:
Seriously?

Rockets on Valhalla.

Rockets on Valhalla was awesome. Particularly when the other team were completely incapable of hitting a warthog.

zumphry

Banned
user_nat said:
Rockets on Valhalla was awesome. Particularly when the other team were completely incapable of hitting a warthog.

I love Rockets only gametypes (probably one of the reasons I should never be given party leader :p), but they shouldn't be in competitive playlists, only things like Actionsack and the like.

Random fact: Team Rockets on Valhalla was the first game I played in the Halo 3 Beta.

EDIT: Oh come on, Bungie! I was done doing the headshot challenge in Firefight and was going to go into Arcade for a few games to send it off and you take it away before 6 am?! BOOOOOOOOO

:'(

Gui_PT

..Is a Virtue

Score 30,000 points in any Campaign mission with less than 3 deaths.

Hey, that's a nice twist on a challenge

Gui_PT said:
..Is a Virtue

And I say it's about damned time. I noticed yesterday that the 'revert to last checkpoint' was disabled yesterday when I loaded up Rally Point Bravo on The Package, so I guess the cheap ways of farming campaign credits are being squashed. Looking forward to today's challenge for sure.

Looking forward to that challenge today, I'd do it on New Alexandria for my Legendary run, but There's no way I could get through a level on legedary with only three deaths.

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
..Is a Virtue

Agree. I'm going to romp through ONI or Tip of the Spear with a gaggle of skulls on (though I know you can do it easily on one of the flying vehicle sections). I got 25k on the first mission with four gold skulls on for the one the other day.

It's similar to one from November 13, though that was 15k points with less than 3 deaths for 1k cR. When that one came up, I was like, why don't we have more like it? It was pretty unique. These are the kind I really like.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
Agree. I'm going to romp through ONI or Tip of the Spear with a gaggle of skulls on (though I know you can do it easily on one of the flying vehicle sections). I got 25k on the first mission with four gold skulls on for the one the other day.

It's similar to one from November 13, though that was 15k points with less than 3 deaths for 1k cR. When that one came up, I was like, why don't we have more like it? It was pretty unique. These are the kind I really like.
I will probably just hit up long night of solace...play a little campaign firefight at the base until I get all three of the dailies...should only take about a half hour.

Ramirez

user_nat said:
Would it be outrageous to say that Halo Reach playlists have been managed worse than Halo 3?

There has been more number changes, but the refusal to take out stupid stuff like drop shields is mind numbing and about as bad as anything in Halo 3.

Ramirez said:
There has been more number changes, but the refusal to take out stupid stuff like drop shields is mind numbing and about as bad as anything in Halo 3.

In Bungie we trust.

Ughh I sign on hit the lobby. Only person playing Reach...really? out of the 87 people on my list 60 are from HaloGAF too.

equil

Toddler said:
Griffball up yet? I'm assuming that Bungie anticipated us to earn a slew of multis there, hence the outrageous Weekly.

I didnt even think about that. I'm in love with this weekly now.

GhaleonEB

equil said:
I didnt even think about that. I'm in love with this weekly now.
Yeah, I'll be romping some Griffball tonight. If I'm able to rack some up, I might try for it. I hadn't thought of that, either.

ShinAmano said:
I will probably just hit up long night of solace...play a little campaign firefight at the base until I get all three of the dailies...should only take about a half hour.
I've taken to using the campaign challenges as a way to get my campaign fixes in. I'm working on notching various Commendations for campaign that way. Last night I did a mission on Exodus where everyone else quit (on Heroic, no less), so I had a nice, long solo run and got the Walking Tank (multi kills) up to Gold. That plus the normal payout plus the daily challenge was nearly 5k cR.

I'm getting close to the Commendation for completing 81 missions, or the campaign nine times over. Yowza.

Edit: just checked, and I should be able to get 30k points on TotS with two gold skulls on; I scored over 10k and 230 kills on my last run with no gold skulls. So I'll get all three Dailies on one run. Tough Luck and Thunderstorm it is.

Toddler

Gui_PT said:
We've had this weekly without griffball though
Oh I know... now I'm wondering if there was some other type of Grab Bag going on when they did it.

Maybe Bungie thought it was a little to far outta reach without a special gametype in the mix. Just my opinion, but even with the title of "Challenge", it should still be obtainable by the majority.

ElRenoRaven

Oh Griffball. Yea that's the ticket. Sadly it isn't up yet though. Also for the campaign one for 30,000 points it's easy with Long Night of Solace. Just turn on some skulls that don't matter and bam. Done in no time at all.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
I've taken to using the campaign challenges as a way to get my campaign fixes in. I'm working on notching various Commendations for campaign that way. Last night I did a mission on Exodus where everyone else quit (on Heroic, no less), so I had a nice, long solo run and got the Walking Tank (multi kills) up to Gold. That plus the normal payout plus the daily challenge was nearly 5k cR.

I'm getting close to the Commendation for completing 81 missions, or the campaign nine times over. Yowza.
Yeah I am planning to get the 1K kills without dying this weekend...why? Because I want that medal.

GhaleonEB

ShinAmano said:
Yeah I am planning to get the 1K kills without dying this weekend...why? Because I want that medal.
Is there somewhere this can be done in Campaign? Or Firefight only?
xxjuicesxx said:
Long night of Solace has infinite dropships right near the beach, you'd run out of human weapons and have to use covie stuff I think, but it could be done in probably a few hours...
Wow, I had no idea. So I could hole up with my back to the launch base and fight off dudes that way?

My evening just got booked.

Not tonight, but I'll give this a go some time.

GhaleonEB said:

Long night of Solace has infinite dropships right near the beach, you'd run out of human weapons and have to use covie stuff I think, but it could be done in probably a few hours...

So last night, around 10pm pacific, I noticed only 47,000 people online in Reach total.

I popped in Black ops a moment later... 300,000+ currently online.

So sad really. I had a friend play for the first time EVER last night on Reach, and he was donged on by the hardcore players who found their way into our games. The lack of player diversity (and what feels like non-working trueskill) in the playlists hurts the longevity of it.

ShinAmano

xxjuicesxx said:
You actually get human reinforcements once all the humans die...I played one match for a little over an hour and got up to 650 or so...I then got bored and careless and got stuck.

I think if you hit 850 or so you should be ok to finish the level and pick up the extra 150 kills before the end.

Edit: One special note is that enemies not only come from the front (dropships) but they also come from behind the base...there is a second dropship that drops enemies where the tank is.

Major Williams said:
So last night, around 10pm pacific, I noticed only 47,000 people online in Reach total.

I popped in Black ops a moment later... 300,000+ currently online.

So sad really. I had a friend play for the first time EVER last night on Reach, and he was donged on by the hardcore players who found their way into our games. The lack of player diversity (and what feels like non-working trueskill) in the playlists hurts the longevity of it.

I heard a rumor that they were bringing back the 1-50 system in the first title update.

Grifball's up.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
I heard a rumor that they were bringing back the 1-50 system in the first title update.

Grifball's up.
That's not really something that there could be a rumor about unless it slipped from someone at Bungie, which I doubt.
I wouldn't care in any case. I got to 45 in Lone Wolves and stopped playing Ranked in H3. All it does is put a cap on it. At least with Arena you have something that you're always going for. That said, i have never played a single game of arena nor do I take this game seriously anymore so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Striker

MrBig said:
That's not really something that there could be a rumor about unless it slipped from someone at Bungie, which I doubt.
I wouldn't care in any case. I got to 45 in Lone Wolves and stopped playing Ranked in H3. All it does is put a cap on it. At least with Arena you have something that you're always going for. That said, i have never played a single game of arena nor do I take this game seriously anymore so my opinion doesn't really matter.
The mere challenge of the 1-50 ranking system is what needs/would need modified. In Halo 2 it was a battle to get into the 30's most of the time. But for Halo 3, it wasn't nearly as difficult.

ShinAmano said:
Yay!

Halo confessional...I never got the extermination achievement in Halo 3. It will be mine in Reach!

It's easier in Reach, since you don't need an overkill to do it. On objective modes with long spawn times, sometimes it just needs a little luck. I got mine in a round of assault by getting a nice double, followed up by damaging two guys charging for the bomb, when it blew up I got credit for their kills too, netting another double and the exterm.

GhaleonEB said:

Wow, I had no idea. So I could hole up with my back to the launch base and fight off dudes that way?

My evening just got booked.
Yeah, and the Marine reinforcements carry either sniper rifles or rockets. It does get old, though; I've only been able to hang around for 10-15 minutes before I get bored and want to move on. The grouping of Covenant doesn't seem to change up at all, so you clear out enemies fast and almost spend more time waiting for the next Spirit than shooting things.

ShinAmano

squidhands said:
Yeah, and the Marine reinforcements carry either sniper rifles or rockets. It does get old, though; I've only been able to hang around for 10-15 minutes before I get bored and want to move on. The grouping of Covenant doesn't seem to change up at all, so you clear out enemies fast and almost spend more time waiting for the next Spirit than shooting things.
They do change though...there are about 5 sets...starts with a couple grunts, jackals and elites...ends with a bunch of white elites...but then the cycle resets.

It is easy, but that is where the boredom comes into play...if you don't get bored you can get the medal no problem...plus it helps in a few campaign commendations.

Striker said:
The mere challenge of the 1-50 ranking system is what needs/would need modified. In Halo 2 it was a battle to get into the 30's most of the time. But for Halo 3, it wasn't nearly as difficult.
I agree. But a lower player population complicates things. I think this new Grifball addition will help out a bit. Is it a permanent playlist?

Also, where the heck are the double exp weekends?

Top Bottom