• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Gui_PT said:
I know what you're saying, and I agree. The repetition is obvious and disappointing but what I mean is that at least this challenge won't take 15 minutes to complete.
I generally agree that single-goal objectives are better suited for the daily Challenges rather than a weekly (the only exception I can think of is a SLASO mission). The weekly seems like a good place for something that takes much of the week to complete, rather than a one-day event. I wasn't commenting on the quality of the Challenge - it's fine - just that it repeated.

I keep thinking how, when the Challenge system was first announced, we were talking about stuff like Annual. Which was unfair, as they couldn't and shouldn't all be of that nature. But I'm surprised at how both limited and repetitive they've become.

Still fun, though, and I still knock off a few each day. As has been said, it just seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

Gui_PT

Well, Urk did say they could put new challenges in. Probably sounds stupid but they could make a challenge contest - much like the forge one - and pick the best suggestions. There have been awesome challenge suggestions here on GAF.

As for the Moa image thingy, someone should make a gif of this but with Moa heads instead. That's how I've always imagined them.

I've begun playing online more. I've got a question though... Why do teams on Swordbase always end up battling for that tiny room of obvious slaughter at the top of the map? The team that tries to hold this position typically ends up dying a terrible death.

Mr. Sam

Warm Machine said:
I've begun playing online more. I've got a question though... Why do teams on Swordbase always end up battling for that tiny room of obvious slaughter at the top of the map? The team that tries to hold this position typically ends up dying a terrible death.

You've been playing with some sucky teams. Holding that position is often the key to an easy victory. Of course, retaking it is fairly simple if you have even a somewhat ingenious team but you normally end up with idiots running into the elevator room again and again.

pakkit

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
You've been playing with some sucky teams. Holding that position is often the key to an easy victory. Of course, retaking it is fairly simple if you have even a somewhat ingenious team but you normally end up with idiots running into the elevator room again and again.
Me: "Don't go up lift, they've got sword and shotgun camping up there."

Teammates make beeline to lift.

Mr. Sam said:

This is what I don't get. It is easy to take and easy to lose so why battle it out there? Normally I get in the area, get 3 kills in a row and back off and wait for the other team to try to take it again like lemmings heading toward a cliff. As soon as you know what the other team wants to do and how they are going to do it, it is easy to form a strat.

GhaleonEB

Warm Machine said:
This is what I don't get. It is easy to take and easy to lose so why battle it out there? Normally I get in the area, get 3 kills in a row and back off and wait for the other team to try to take it again like lemmings heading toward a cliff. As soon as you know what the other team wants to do and how they are going to do it, it is easy to form a strat.
Team 1: The entire team is up there, let's charge in throwing grenades!

*Team 1 take room*

Team 2: The entire team is up there, let's charge in throwing grenades!

*Team 2 takes room*

Repeat. At least, that's my experience in team games up there. I much prefer Sword Base for FFA and Multi Team for that reason.

The only game type where I find it very difficult to dislodge teams from that room is SWAT. A good team can really set up perches and block the opposing team from taking the area.

GhaleonEB said:

*Team 1 take room*

*Team 2 takes room*

Repeat. At least, that's my experience in team games up there. I much prefer Sword Base for FFA and Multi Team for that reason.

The only game type where I find it very difficult to dislodge teams from that room is SWAT. A good team can really set up perches and block the opposing team from taking the area.

I'd add Objective modes too, 1 flag CTF/Assault is great on swordbase. Slayer plays out like above every time though, and it just get's boring after awhile. Especially since there are stronger "Hold the top" style maps on the disc. Dino's on that map is especially bad.

GhaleonEB said:

*Team 1 take room*

*Team 2 takes room*

Repeat. At least, that's my experience in team games up there.
Yep. This is why I choose a jetpack, and assault the flanks from above or below. Jetpacks are awesome.

The one nice thing about teams running into the same crap like lemmings, is that they make the perfect bait for you to get some multi-kills.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Schmitty said:
Any tips for trying to get a double kill from the grave or should I just wait for my lucky moment for that?

Wait for your lucky moment or play a lot of Multi-Team.

I got the achievement in MLG of all places.

ShinAmano

Ok...so on Tip of the Spear yesterday I killed a gold 'special' elite right near the first big gun. I have not killed any of them before, but he did not appear to drop anything...what am I missing?

GhaleonEB

Yeah I got the two from the grave, and the double kill with the shotgun, on the same game of Multi Team on Reflection (both without trying for them specifically). I just drop a grenade when I know I'm about to die, in MT you'll usually blow someone or someones up that way.
ShinAmano said:
Ok...so on Tip of the Spear yesterday I killed a gold 'special' elite right near the first big gun. I have not killed any of them before, but he did not appear to drop anything...what am I missing?
There's a b.net medal for them, "Seek and Destroy", for killing the gold Ranger Elite (dubbed BOBs). There's one on each mission, and they disappear after a set time. Even if you're in the middle of fighting them - they'll cloak and then disappear entirely.

They're just an extra thing to try for. I assume we may get Challenges for them evenually.

Toddler

Domino Theory said:
Wait for your lucky moment or play a lot of Multi-Team.

I got the achievement in MLG of all places.
I got all except for "Ate All The Chips" and "Offensive Driver" in Invasion.

ShinAmano said:
Ah, the elusive Bob. I've killed 29 of the buggers so far: when I see one, it must die.

Eventually, they came for revenge.

GhaleonEB

I'm wondering about when Firefight Limited hits. From the BWU before last:

Jan. 11th - Firefight Arcade

Jan. 18th - Grifball (probably)

Jan 25th - Firefight Limited​

That would put it at next Tuesday. And from last week's:

But don’t worry, we know you love it. Lars does, too. Next week, Firefight Limited will go live in Arcade’s place, featuring a single set, limited lives experience similar to the standard ODST experience of “old.”​
That would make it this week. Did Griffball and Limited get swapped? Or was Urk referring to the week after this by "next week"? I'm kinda hoping Limited hits right after Arcade goes down, so as to soften the blow of its departure.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I'm wondering about when Firefight Limited hits. From the BWU before last:

Jan. 11th - Firefight Arcade

Jan. 18th - Grifball (probably)

Jan 25th - Firefight Limited​

That would put it at next Tuesday. And from last week's:

But don’t worry, we know you love it. Lars does, too. Next week, Firefight Limited will go live in Arcade’s place, featuring a single set, limited lives experience similar to the standard ODST experience of “old.”​
That would make it this week. Did Griffball and Limited get swapped? Or was Urk referring to the week after this by "next week"? I'm kinda hoping Limited hits right after Arcade goes down, so as to soften the blow of its departure.
Maybe firefight and multiplayer can be up at the same time in grab bag? or is grifball being put under community?

kylej

Banned
Top Sword Base is what you have to hold. If you're fighting some hardcore nerds who are all over security/stairs/break room/gold don't forget about the pro pipe that spawns bottom red lift. You can dong on kids with that thing because they're too scared to leave and pick it up.

feel

pakkit said:
Me: "Don't go up lift, they've got sword and shotgun camping up there."

Teammates make beeline to lift.

"wait, lets throw some grenades"

Teammate stops and watches the rest of us throw grenades for one second and then decides his time is too valuable and goes with 3 grenades banging against his armor all the way up.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Letters said:
"wait, lets throw some grenades"

Teammate stops and watches the rest of us throw grenades for one second and then decides his time is too valuable and goes with 3 grenades banging against his armor all the way up.

Every. Single. Time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kuroyume said:
Spartan + Evade + Sword

I want to strangle whoever came up with the loadouts in this game.
Would it be better if the Spartan was an Elite?

Does evade actually work differently for the two? I know it's harder to see a spartan whip past but is there anything else different?

Magni

Kibbles said:
Looks like Marty will be at Video Games Live this Saturday in Seattle

I already posted this after coming back from VGL Paris in December, but when I went to see Tallarico after the concert, he told me they'd be premiering Halo: Reach's soundtrack in Seattle. So that's probably why Marty's gonna be there (as well as it being an awesome concert of course :lol).

Kuroyume

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Would it be better if the Spartan was an Elite?

Does evade actually work differently for the two? I know it's harder to see a spartan whip past but is there anything else different?

Yes. Spartans are smaller therefore more difficult to target.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
xxjuicesxx said:
Please tell me you are just being difficult...

nobody, no man, can not get this reference... its just not possible.
There isn't a man who hasn't seen any of the Star Wars movies, but I was being intentionally difficult.

/huge fan of Multi-Team insanity.

kylej

Banned
1200 people in Arena. Can't find a game at all.

Whoever redesigned the ranking system nailed it out of the park. Another job well done guys.

MIMIC

Banned
Warm Machine said:

Haha, when I first started playing Reach, I told myself that I NEVER, EVER want to be in that room for any reason unless I know for certain that my (now dead) teammate at least melee'd the other guy and he is a guaranteed kill. Then, I sprint the hell out of there.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
As of today it has been 125 days since Reach has been out that is 125 days of keeping The Cage in its respective playlist. Just wanted to share that with you guys.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Would it be outrageous to say that Halo Reach playlists have been managed worse than Halo 3?

Striker

user_nat said:
Would it be outrageous to say that Halo Reach playlists have been managed worse than Halo 3?
Uh, it's been far better. They still had AR starts in Social Skirmish on Valhalla for christ sake.

I haven't heard much on the playlist changes in a while, though. Big Team Battle needs an overhaul in gametype changes. Slayer is OK, but weighted entirely too much. It shows up each voting phase. Team Headhunter is the second most notable gametype it seems, and why it is I still don't know. Elite Slayer shows up almost every voting phase, if not the second time it will. CTF is a bystander for the most part, sadly. Assault is MIA. Countdown in there is absolutely hilarious. Spawns need adjusted in Spire - why are the spawns clear in the back random? Why are they there for games like Territories and non-slayer in the first place lol? Fix plz.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
user_nat said:

No, but it'd be stupid.

Just look at the MM changelogs, all of them, for Reach and compare them with Halo 3 within the same time frame.

http://forwarduntodawn.com/none-of-the-above/

Check the notes of the article at the bottom and you'll see a list of the change logs of both 3 and Reach after two months. I could easily update that and it would still be lopsided in Reach's favour.

I'd argue that the changes and tweaks to Reach's playlists have had more impact and addressed player's needs much more than the changes in Halo 3.

Lazslo

I'm about to jump into match-making if anyone wants to join. I haven't played in awhile and I'm really bad now but it will make you look like a hero!

Top Bottom