• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

neoism

Dax01 said:
Having Jun would disrupt the story of Ghosts of Onyx and First Strike in a major way, while most of what Reach presents will be explained, per Frankie in the Halo: Cryptum thread. I never really notice any inconsistencies in the books, maybe between the books and the games, but not between the books and the books

The likely fate of Jun?
He's dead, Jim.
Damn, I really should restart GofO... I read about 60 pages and just quit for some reason. I wasn't too interested at that point and Nylund's writing wasn't clicking and flowing with me like Fall of Reach.

Dug

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I still think they should air Red vs Blue on Adult Swim or Comedy Central, hell the animated series was going to be on G4 and Comedy Central before it got canned.
Wow, never knew that!

P.S.: How long has the Gaming/Off-Topic/Community tabs been on the bottom of the NeoGAF page?

I know it's been done a million times, but would anyone mind if I slowly began making a "revised edition" of Reach's script? I have some ideas that I'm pretty sure haven't been done before.

Flipyap

Barrow Roll said:
Yeah, wasn't he kind of played up as "mentally unstable" from the augmentations or something?[/QUOTE]
Doubtful, since SPARTAN-III are made for cheap, they receive limited augmentations with 100% survival rate. I don't think there has been any mention of a "broken" III.
Then again, the Spartans in Reach have so little in common with those awesome kids from Ghosts of Onyx, so why not...

[QUOTE=neoism]Damn, I really should restart GofO... I read about 60 pages and just quit for some reason. I wasn't too interested at that point and Nylund's writing wasn't clicking and flowing with me like Fall of Reach.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was his best-written book yet. Huge improvement over the mediocre First Strike. By the end of the book, he just keeps piling on awesome "classic Halo" revelations and mysteries revolving around Forerunner constructs. And that ending... man, so many possibilities. Loved it.

Dani said:
tumblr_le6ce3JHMl1qzzxaqo1_500.jpg
L

O

L

O D I N

Photolysis said:
Season 8. Can't beat it.

2-10 on DVD = winsauce

Season 8 is probably my favorite.

All about Skorpio.

Ever seen a man say goodbye to a shoe?

Wife and I have seasons 4-8 I believe. Possibly 3 and or 9 too.

@Gui: I'm still catching up. >_> Haven't really seen 1-2 besides reruns.

Tashi0106 said:
Are you guys talking about Arena seasons?

Uh. Yes. Yes we are.

x37ptu.jpg

ajt9wx.jpg

In other news, I especially dislike the power weapons situation in Highlands. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a fix.

By the way, is it just me or is Unearthed coming up more in MM? Could be a coincidence but it was the first choice several times in a row when I did Score Attack earlier.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Are you guys talking about Arena seasons?
I started reading a few posts into the page and thought they were arguing about their fav RvB seasons.

Speaking of which, can someone explain what is up with that Season 9 teaser??? Last time I checked it was a comedy where they acted the stuff using multiplayer characters on bloodgulch and etc... these seemed like serious scenes from Halo 4 or an episode on Halo Legends part II

:O

I don't see it mentioned in their site and the RvB wikipedia page doesn't mention the show being anything other than machinima using the actual game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Blue Ninja said:
The Pillar of Autumn is in space during the new version of "The Fall of Reach", too, and Halsey has never heard of Spartan-III's.

Inconsistencies and Halo canon go hand in hand.

I hope 343 does a sequel to Onyx where some of this stuff is explained.

vhfive

Letters said:
I started reading a few posts into the page and thought they were arguing about their fav RvB seasons.

Speaking of which, can someone explain what is up with that Season 9 teaser??? Last time I checked it was a comedy where they acted the stuff using multiplayer characters on bloodgulch and etc... these seemed like serious scenes from Halo 4 or an episode on Halo Legends part II

:O

I don't see it mentioned in their site and the RvB wikipedia page doesn't mention the show being anything other than machinima using the actual game.
I don't follow RvB closely but I did see this

OuterWorldVoice said:
At first I was like Plywood: "Holy crap."

But then I was like, "Wait a second. Does he mean the sequel by Karen Travis, or did he just hint at a brand new book that is an actual sequel to GoO (continues Halsey's storyline, etc)?"

And now I'm like: "It'll be cool either way because there will be a book that explains the inconsistencies between the books and Reach."

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dax01 said:

But then I was like, "Wait a second. Does he mean the sequel by Karen Travis, or did he just hint at a brand new book that is an actual sequel to GoO (continues Halsey's storyline, etc)?"

And now I'm like: "It'll be cool either way because there will be a book that explains the inconsistencies between the games and Reach."
Yeah I definitely read it as "Here's a tease on what our new game might be about." Then I thought "Wait, he's probably talking about a book."

O D I N

OuterWorldVoice said:
Dax01 said:

And now I'm like: "It'll be cool either way because there will be a book that explains the inconsistencies between the games and Reach."

176.jpg

I'm pretty sure my brain asploded. I've been waiting for a sequel for a while.

Currently enjoying Cryptum.

blamite

GhaleonEB said:
Anyone have that side by shot of the asset from Blackout in Halo 3 reused in Reach?
I don't have a screenshot, but I do remember that it was a set of slanted machines near the top of the vent on Blackout, and the bottom of the side vents on Countdown. Maybe the UNSC just has a standard air-lift power source? :/

Would this be the thread to come to if one were looking for people to play Team Objective with?

Or Invasion.

Or BTB.

Basically anything with a flag, bomb, territory or any such 'objective' to compliment shooting dudes in the face. :D

feel

vhfive said:
I don't follow RvB closely but I did see this
That was really cool. That still was the old-style humorous RvB with some great custom animations/models added in some parts. Season 9 seems like an entirely different beast with big budget visuals made entirely by them (or most likely a cgi video producing company that they're partnering with) and a more serious tone.

Karl2177

Letters said:
That was really cool. That still was the old-style humorous RvB with some great custom animations/models added in some parts. Season 9 seems like an entirely different beast with big budget visuals made entirely by them (or most likely a cgi video producing company that they're partnering with) and a more serious tone.
RoosterTeeth hired Monty Oum a while back for the CGI stuff. If you've heard the name you probably remember it from Haloid.

O D I N

Karl2177 said:
RoosterTeeth hired Monty Oum a while back for the CGI stuff. If you've heard the name you probably remember it from Haloid.

Good for Monty. He did great work on Haloid.

Mojo said:
I always wondered in Season 8, did Bungie supply them the models for the maps/objects or is there a way to extract them from Halo 3 somehow?

If Monty did that scene, he probably ripped them, or made the skins himself.

MMaRsu

Hey guys how is the new mappack?

I might buy it in the future sometime.. but I'm hesitant to buy anything on 360 due to it almost never reading discs anymore. Strangely enough Reach almost always works though.

Haven't been on 360 in like two months.. I think I'll have to change that and get back into Reach ( the only shooter that matters imo ).

Any big changes that happened in the last two months aside from the new mappack releasing?

And like I asked, is the Defiant mappack worth it? Probably is, all mappacks from Bungie are amazing.

Reach is the only game keeping me from throwing my 360 out the window or into a garbage bin.

Kujo

urk said:
I asked the same question. All from scratch.
Wow really? Aside from the lighting, the maps and textures all looked like they came from Halo 3. I thought that if they can do all that from scratch, they should create places that weren't from the game at all; which seems to be what they are doing with Season 9

Sibylus

Banned
Dax01 said:
After reading Botolf's review of Reach, I gotta say I agree with him that Emile should've been the first one to do and Jorge should have been the last. Reach was Jorge's home and he was the Spartan II on the team.
I also wouldn't object to Emile being excised from the game entirely, with Jun going in the place of Jorge, and Jorge in the place of Emile.

I might write something of an addendum for the review, I've been having more thoughts percolating in my brain about characters and some potential missed opportunities. In a nutshell, while Carter was the de jure leader of Noble team, Jorge seemed something like a fatherly figure in his interactions with civilians and his fellow Spartans.

Think about all of the major events of the game in this light. Jorge survives until the end, but not only that, he endures what is tantamount to the death of his children. He has to live with the burden of being their protector, yet failing at every turn to save them. In the end, he redeems himself. I think a small speaking scene at the mass driver would tie things up quite nicely. With Noble 6's help the Autumn gets away, but the more personal accomplishment belongs to Jorge. He gives everything to see the last of his children safe, even if it's only for the next little while.

feel

Karl2177 said:
Eh! Nice get for RvB, guy does great work. Don't know why I didn't recognize the style of the animation and imaginative choreography, I must've watched Haloid over a bazillion times over the years, it was mindblowing stuff back then for me.

VVVV Yeah, as much as I still loved what came before, that embarrassing ending really tainted the whole thing, what a shame.

Kujo

Letters said:
Yeah, as much as I still loved what came before, that embarrassing ending really tainted the whole thing, what a shame.
Oh gosh, I just watched the ending again (forgot about it). What was he thinking... lol

Oozer3993

Dax01 said:

And now I'm like: "It'll be cool either way because there will be a book that explains the inconsistencies between the books and Reach."

This was basically my reaction. My mind boggled at the possibilities the end of GoO represented and I'd love to hear how the inconsistencies between Reach and the books will be reconciled. In other words, I'm there Day Zero.

Top Bottom