• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

I did the weekly with my brother today and it was the easiest LASO I did. Just hijack a Banshee and get it into the hospital. You can skip most encounters and the Brutes won't load. After you activate the jammer, I got out of the banshee and was teleported outside of the hospital, skipping al the elites. I did this in Co-op so and my brother never entered the hospital and stayed out of the falcon but I don't know if this is requered to pull it of.

After that, the other 2 jammers were a cakewalk, you can rush trough the hunters and buggers. The shade turrets aren't a problem either when you stay out of range and you picked up the GL-Falcon (you should do this in Co-op, they wreck Banshees).

Striker said:
The game desperately needs a map akin to Relic/Terminal. We haven't had one since... well, Halo 2. :(
We have enough attempts at asymmetrical BTB maps. Gimme more symmetrical 4v4 maps or a couple new firefight maps.

MrBig said:
If they include something that can be and has been made in Forge, then that would be a complete waste of effort, time, money, resources, and a slot in the standard 3 map release pattern.

It was a joke about how they made Sanctuary in forge but it is a disgrace to Sanctuary and you can even make a real Sanctuary in forge that performs well (if you support split).

Obviously I don't think they should charge money for a Sanctuary in a map pack, honestly if by some crazyness that did happen I honestly wouldn't mind because I love Sanctuary that much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Went back to Halo 3 and while I've never thought myself as a big fan I seemed to love the maps a lot more than the Reach lot. IDK what it is, but I just seem to extremely dislike like 80%-90% of the maps in Reach. Meh I know it's not the case, but I have to admit if it makes me wonder if Bungie phoned it in for the MP maps seeing as they were probably tired of you know making Halo maps. I know they wouldn't do that though.

Striker said:
The game desperately needs a map akin to Relic/Terminal. We haven't had one since... well, Halo 2. :(
Agreed!

Relic's layout was perfect for most large gametypes, and was AMAZING in Snipers. Some great climactic moments were had in those areas behind the rocks at the butt-end of the Relic, as well as some serious teleport battles for control. I think it'd be a natural transition for gameplay in Reach.

As for Terminal - I don't think it could be remade to it's original glory with the way certain chokepoints played out vs the way AAs mess with the gameplay.
Personally I'd like to see Terminal remade into Crysis 2, but that's just me haha.
Also, who would win - the hyper-speed train or Armor lock?

As for remakes, I'd really like a Relic remake over everything else, but a Turf or Headlong remake would be great to see as well (more Turf though).

Lake Minnetonka said:
We have enough attempts at asymmetrical BTB maps. Gimme more symmetrical 4v4 maps or a couple new firefight maps.

Symmetrical BTB Maps:
- Hemorrhage
- Paradiso (lol)
- Highlands
- Atom (LOL)

Asymmetrical Invasion maps that work okay as BTB maps:
- Breakpoint

Asymmetrical Invasion maps not suitable for BTB in their current form:
- Boneyard
- Spire

Asymmetrical BTB Maps:
- uh....

Relic and terminal were fine for 8v8 and 4v4 objective, I think that's what Striker was asking for. I want a Zanzibar or High Ground. Powerhouse maybe started with that idea, but took a left turn early on.

Tashi0106 said:
OMG this Warlock remake in MLG v4 is fucking sexy. Wow!

Really? I'm not a fan of that one, the grass patches feel oddly out of place, Wizard and Warlock were pretty much concrete slabs as made by Bungie (Warlock a bit less so). It will play well though so its not an issue, just personal preference.

The real issue though that people on the MLG forums (including myself right now) are raging about is that MLG made a great Sanctuary for V4, and now they are not using it.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Symmetrical BTB Maps:
- Hemorrhage
- Paradiso (lol)
- Highlands
- Atom (LOL)

Asymmetrical Invasion maps that work okay as BTB maps:
- Breakpoint

Asymmetrical Invasion maps not suitable for BTB in their current form:
- Boneyard
- Spire

Asymmetrical BTB Maps:
- uh....

Relic and terminal were fine for 8v8 and 4v4 objective, I think that's what Striker was asking for. I want a Zanzibar or High Ground. Powerhouse maybe started with that idea, but took a left turn early on.
I think it partly stems from the move away from maps crafted for specific game types and to general purpose ones. Terminal for one-flag and bomb, Relic for one-flag, Headlong for one-flag. Other map styles such as Turf for Three Plots and Waterworks for CTF.

The current BTB maps lack the focus on a handful of modes tailored to the map. I think that might be behind the lack of BTB one-sided maps, which inherently limit the flexibility of them (and so we get Invasion maps instead of true one-sided BTB ones).

Halo 2's one-sided BTB maps were God Tier.

Tashi0106 said:
OMG this Warlock remake in MLG v4 is fucking sexy. Wow!

edit: I made a video of me walking around for everyone to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GGpsusQXk
Wow, I actually like where they place the build in forgeworld. The windows are a nice touch, imo.
Questions:
• Am I seeing that there's two sets of teleporters?

• And if so that's a new take on the map, correct? EDIT: memory has betrayed me! /old fogey

Evade is bottom middle you say? Thanks!

Striker

Lake Minnetonka said:
There's been zero attempts at an asymmetrical BTB map; don't include the horrifying attempts of Boneyard and Spire into this. I still don't know why they decided to split BTB's population up with inviting Invasion in the mix. They implemented the maps poorly. Even Halo 3 had what, one? That's including Sandtrap. :lol

Even overall in terms of asymmetrical Skirmish/Objective maps. Over the course of Halo 3/Halo Reach, there's been High Ground, Boardwalk, Pinnacle (bastardized Ascension), Powerhouse (also neutered), Reflection, Ghost Town...

How do we go from Halo 2 having more asymmetric BTB maps on its own disc than Halo 3/Reach had combined? For 4v4 style there's still more variants from Halo 2. It's like they didn't even care enough anymore to try to create unique asymmetric maps anymore. Like Havok said, remember when they had the vidoc for Zanzibar and sounded so excited about the attack/defense philosophy? Now it's... hey, put a spawn there, it's Slayer time yo.

Hitmonchan107 said:
It's good to be back.

What did I miss?

- Some trashtalk between Minnetonka and Starwolf. They are set to duel sometime in the future.

- GAF Customs were pretty fun, we played some NASCAR, Warthog Sumo, Highlands CTF, etc. Then we jumped into BTB matchmaking and got owned by the playlist choices (and our opponents). Really looking forward to the update. (tomorrow?)

- The usual cycle of complaints about Bungie and expectations for 343i, which prompted me to make a quick poster of The Face of Halo.

Business as usual. Welcome back.

Account Attempt #4 said:

• And if so that's a new take on the map, correct?

Haven't seen the new one, but there were always 2 pairs of teleporters on Wizard/Warlock (4 teleporters total).

ncsuDuncan said:
- Some trashtalk between Minnetonka and Starwolf. They are set to duel sometime in the future.

- GAF Customs were pretty fun, we played some NASCAR, Warthog Sumo, Highlands CTF, etc. Then we jumped into BTB matchmaking and got owned by the playlist choices (and our opponents). Really looking forward to the update. (tomorrow?)

- The usual cycle of complaints about Bungie and expectations for 343i, which prompted me to make a quick poster for The Face of Halo.

Business as usual. Welcome back.
Thanks for the heads up.

And that Frankie poster is sexy. Like a boss.

ncsuDuncan said:
Haven't seen the new one, but there were always 2 pairs of teleporters on Wizard/Warlock (4 teleporters total).

No, there is just 2 teleporters total, on Wizard/Warlock and the version that Tashi posted.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Account Attempt #4 said:
Wow, I actually like where they place the build in forgeworld. The windows are a nice touch, imo.
Questions:

• And if so that's a new take on the map, correct?

• And if you'd be so kind, is evade part of the load outs or did you just throw it on for the sake of the film?

-Yes

-That's not new.

-Evade is not a loadout. I picked it up bottom middle before I started capturing. Sprint is still the only AA you can start with.

Tashi

thee henery said:
Wow that's pretty nice.

Is that the one made by a Suddoth twin? I was in the mlg forge forum the other day and he had three different versions of the map and that looks similar to the one being implemented.

I don't think so. The official one's file was tagged "suddoths map better" lol

Steelyuhas said:
No, there is just 2 teleporters total, on Wizard/Warlock and the version that Tashi posted.

When I say "teleporter" I'm talking about the Forge object, i.e. it takes 2 teleporters for them to activate and work.

So Wizard/Warlock have 4 teleporter objects, which makes for 2 bi-directional links.

I think we're agreeing, the terminology is just confusing.

ncsuDuncan said:
When I say "teleporter" I'm talking about the Forge object, i.e. it takes 2 teleporters for them to activate and work.

So Wizard/Warlock have 4 teleporter objects, which makes for 2 bi-directional links.

I think we're agreeing, the terminology is just confusing.

Yes, I think were on the same page haha.

I just played Tempest in Big Team. VERY FIRST TIME WOOT! (only took five months to get it to come up haha)

Not entirely true, but the only other time I played it GAF took a full 16 into the playlist, so that its not really to matchmaking's credit

Tashi

I can't capture in 16:9. I've been trying since I got the card.

Edit: I could probably run it through a program on my home PC and do it like that but that's not really necessary for just a little walk through video like this.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
I'm in. What time? I can play today too.
I'm thinking around 4 or 5 EST, if anyone still has Halo w get XBC, also thinking of switching to Halo 1 customs after a few hours of Halo 2 customs :)

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
2 Flag Pro Anchor 9 comes up in TO, no one votes for it.

Why do people suck at voting?

We had people vote for Territories on Hemo twice in a row last night, people really are stupid.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
That warlock is terrible, they have a remake of Onslaught as well but I really don't know why. The map was basically Midship, why not just make a Midship again?

Tashi

LAUGHTREY said:
That warlock is terrible, they have a remake of Onslaught as well but I really don't know why. The map was basically Midship, why not just make a Midship again?
Whe I agree that another Midship for Reach would be awesome, Onslaught didn't play like Midship at all. Onslaught was definitely based off Midship but they played wildly different.

I've yet to play a match yet on MLG's Warlock but it looks great. We'll see though.

Louis Wu

LAUGHTREY said:
That warlock is terrible
I'm really curious why you say this.

The only thing that sort of bothered me was how bright it was - but then I remembered how bright Wizard was, and I stopped worrying about it. (Only Warlock was dark.)

It looks quite good, to my non-pro eye. What am I missing?

Tashi

Louis Wu said:
I'm really curious why you say this.

The only thing that sort of bothered me was how bright it was - but then I remembered how bright Wizard was, and I stopped worrying about it. (Only Warlock was dark.)

It looks quite good, to my non-pro eye. What am I missing?
That's weird. When I got on the map I thought for a second it had a filter on because it seemed so dark. Lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The spaces are all wrong, the middle isn't symmetrical last I checked. Even if it was it's easy to get stuck where camo spawns I did it like twice just messing around in some games. The Arches on the platforms are wrong and the spaces where the flag spawns behind that wall in the base is TINY.

The one in team Classic is better, would be perfect if it was slightly bigger.

Crucio

Challenge complete! Main points to victory: Jetpack.

Our first checkpoint the bugger tower we used the falcon to kill everything. You can bring the falcon up into the lobby from the back.

We managed to get a good spawn on the jetpack elites because the marines went ahead of us.
Once we assassinated the Concussion Ultra I proposed that we use the jetpack to bypass the Ranger elites, it worked. We got out after a couple tries.

Then came the last the club with hunters. I just jetpack across and back with no problems. Since the marines were still up.

Other then that our longest standoff was actually trying to find Buck and his falcon. We use Blind skull in our LASO runs so we didn't know where the heck he was. At one point we found a Phantom that was stationary, killed it and the checkpoint passed.

Easy LASO!

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
Haha really? It's the brightest Warlock remake I have seen in Reach.

o_0 I should adjust my brightness lol. I usually have it brighter than normal though. Hahaha oh well.

Also, Monkey, I'd be down for some Halo 2 tomorrow. I think I might get on right now actually too. I'm "Tashiii" on XBC.

MrBig

Would anyone object to me hosting customs next week? collected quite a sum of interesting maps and gametypes. Also cleaned out and sorted all of the maps I have downloaded and added prefixes that group and identify H1-3 remakes.

Havok

Striker said:
There's been zero attempts at an asymmetrical BTB map; don't include the horrifying attempts of Boneyard and Spire into this. I still don't know why they decided to split BTB's population up with inviting Invasion in the mix. It's like they didn't even care enough anymore to try to create unique asymmetric maps anymore. Like Havok said, remember when they had the vidoc for Zanzibar and sounded so excited about the attack/defense philosophy? Now it's... hey, put a spawn there, it's Slayer time yo.
GhaleonEB said:
I think it partly stems from the move away from maps crafted for specific game types and to general purpose ones. Terminal for one-flag and bomb, Relic for one-flag, Headlong for one-flag. Other map styles such as Turf for Three Plots and Waterworks for CTF.

The current BTB maps lack the focus on a handful of modes tailored to the map. I think that might be behind the lack of BTB one-sided maps, which inherently limit the flexibility of them (and so we get Invasion maps instead of true one-sided BTB ones).

Halo 2's one-sided BTB maps were God Tier.
Bingo. Focus is something that Reach's maps as a whole are lacking (or maybe it's more that they're Slayer-focused, which I think is a backwards approach to doing things). I don't have much to say on the topic that I haven't covered in the past or that hasn't been covered here. I do hope that 343 is keeping in mind that it's better to have a bunch of maps that are awesome at what they were designed for (even if it means that you have to drop Stockpile and Headhunter support on some of them, sorry) than a bunch of bad jack of all trades, master of none maps that support every gametype under the sun, 80% of which nobody wants to play. 343's got a good start with Highlands being pretty obviously designed with CTF in mind, but it's going to take a lot to get past the bad initial BTB maps on-disc.

It's obvious that the Invasion maps are tailored for that playlist, so they're awful in BTB (Breakpoint being the exception as being just mediocre. The spine works well to divide Invasion phase areas, but doesn't make sense otherwise.). Hemorrhage, while disliked by a lot of people here, works well for what Coagulation did: Neutral and Multi Bomb and Flag, but isn't really great for other objective stuff. Paradiso is painful to even think about, because Multiflag just doesn't work, the base structures are pretty awful, and it just doesn't utilize all the space that it has. However, I really think that with some heavy tweaking, a Neutral Flag Paradiso would be kind of cool. It would at least give some purpose to the third structure. Get on it, dudes. Of course, all this is just repeating what everybody knows: that Reach's Big Team needs a ton of work and I don't think that this upcoming update will solve all those problems.

Plus, at least its within the realm of possibility to get fairly good totally forged 4v4 maps. Budget constraints pretty much kill the possibility of doing that for BTB.

FourDoor

Louis Wu said:

Warlock being so dark in Halo2 is what helped cause burn-in on my old RPTV HDTV. I couldn't see anything on that map and was forced to increase the contrast which in turn left nice little burn in marks of the hud/radar...

I hate dark Halo maps with a passion!!!!

Recarpo

LAUGHTREY said:
The Arches on the platforms are wrong and the spaces where the flag spawns behind that wall in the base is TINY.

This is what I noticed when I was running around on it too. Why are the ramps going up to the platforms so big? Add to that two arches up top that have a big pillar in the middle to hide behind and it's just strange. The whole map just seems really off with the dimensions.

Top Bottom