• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

I do hope that as part of the lots of little things in tomorrow's update, weapon pick ups are turned off and unlimited ammo turned on in Score Attack's Fiesta Attack.

It's weird to have weapon pick ups turned off in Sniper Attack in the Arcade and Score Attack playlists, but then only have those same settings applied to Fiesta in Arcade (and not Score Attack), when the setting really defines the game type.

Because I want to do crazy shit like this in Score Attack.

BWU: 04/29/2011 said:
But as we rapidly approach our upcoming transition away from supporting Halo – which we will describe in explicit detail very, very soon – we want you to be prepared for what could be a fairly radical paradigm shift.
Does it make me a bad person if this was my favorite part of the latest update?

<3 you Bungie but Reach has become rotten and it has become abundantly clear that someone else needs to fix it.

Striker

re: Loadouts for Asault in BTB
DMR/AR (Sprint, Evade, Jet Pack, Active Camo)
Interestingly no Armor Lock, which is fine for the larger maps like Hemorrhage. Looks like Drop Shields are gone from all objective based games at least, thank the heavens.

Havok

Tashi0106 said:
I just fixed a slow turn on one of my controllers.

Fuck yea
How? I'm starting to have this problem on my favorite controller and I really don't want to drop a bunch of money on a new pad.

JdFoX187

Banned
Striker said:
re: Loadouts for Asault in BTB

Interestingly no Armor Lock, which is fine for the larger maps like Hemorrhage. Looks like Drop Shields are gone from all objective based games at least, thank the heavens.
*Thumbs up*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Havok said:
How? I've started to have this problem on my favorite controller and I really don't want to drop a bunch of money on a new pad.

You just have to open the controller up (7 screws) and file the stick holster all around. The hard plastic shell on top is what you have to file. You can use pretty much anything. I used a shitty old blade on a swiss army knife and I just worked the circular gate until it was wider all around. It was surprisingly easy to do.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tashi0106 said:
You just have to open the controller up (7 screws) and file the stick holster all around. The hard plastic shell on top is what you have to file. You can use pretty much anything. I used a shitty old blade on a swiss army knife and I just worked the circular gate until it was wider all around. It was surprisingly easy to do.

Are you talking about fixing that thing when your sticks get loose and can stick at anything but neutral? My controllers getting bad.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LAUGHTREY said:
Are you talking about fixing that thing when your sticks get loose and can stick at anything but neutral? My controllers getting bad.

No, I wish I knew how to fix that lol. I'm talking about how when you're looking in certain directions, you start to look slowly rather than the normal sensitivity. Almost as if your sensitivity drops to 1.

wwm0nkey

Ok so Halo 2 and maybe some Halo 1 customs tomorrow on XBC we have 2 people not including me, more of you should join for tomorrow!

Ramirez

Scale is always the number one problem with any forge remake, it's just so hard to nail down the original maps scale, so they never play the same.

Havok

Tashi0106 said:
No, I wish I knew how to fix that lol. I'm talking about how when you're looking in certain directions, you start to look slowly rather than the normal sensitivity. Almost as if your sensitivity drops to 1.
Damn, that other issue is what I was hoping you meant. Thanks though!
wwm0nkey said:
Ok so Halo 2 and maybe some Halo 1 customs tomorrow on XBC we have 2 people not including me, more of you should join for tomorrow!
I might be able to make it for the Halo 2 stuff, but no promises.

Ramirez said:
Scale is always the number one problem with any forge remake, it's just so hard to nail down the original maps scale, so they never play the same.

Also the games play differently. Even if you nail the scale perfectly for Warlock, you are still playing Reach, not H2, which makes things different, and often not as good as in the game that the map was placed in by Bungie.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
Also the games play differently. Even if you nail the scale perfectly for Warlock, you are still playing Reach, not H2, which makes things different, and often not as good as in the game that the map was placed in by Bungie.

Hmm, while I see your point to an extent, I'm not sure I agree completely. Yes the mechanics are different, but if it truly is a perfect remake, it plays fairly similar. Heretic is a good example of this, it played very similar to how it did in Halo 2, but Blackout on the other hand played nothing like Lockout, and mostly because it lacked a ton of things from the original map.

Tashi0106 said:
I can't capture in 16:9. I've been trying since I got the card.

Edit: I could probably run it through a program on my home PC and do it like that but that's not really necessary for just a little walk through video like this.

Tag the video with "yt:stretch=16:9"

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I listened to the whole damn thing.

Beautiful.

I finally played the Gears 3 beta today. It was pretty darn fun, but I might not play it again.

The roadie run gives me a colossal headache. :^(
Hey remember when we got spawn killed today?
Hitmonchan107 said:
Now I do. Jerk. :^)
lol, Are you gonna online past midnight?

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
but Blackout on the other hand played nothing like Lockout, and mostly because it lacked a ton of things from the original map.

Never forget:

"We’ve seen a lot of complaints based on screenshots about how this plays, but believe us when we tell you that for everything that’s changed subtly, there have been subtle improvements made too. You’re going to find far more problems fixed with Blackout than meet the eye and the fact is it feels precisely the way it did before, give or take the odd jump."

The day Luke Smith died.

Tashi0106 said:
Tashi, why you gotta cheat tho? :p

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
If I had to choose a favorite voice, it would be the colorful, lambasting blues of Mr. Otis Redding.
Wanna play a little matchmaking now?
Edit: I'll take that as a yes.

Havok

Tunavi said:
Wanna play a little matchmaking now?
I'll take that as a yes.
Sorry it all fell apart so quick, just luck of the draw when it's this late.

Edit: I'll likely be on earlier tomorrow and we can get a couple more games in to make up for it.

GhaleonEB

Reverse griefing success. Dude didn't want to play halfway through and suicides seven or eight times hoping to end the game. I managed not to play ball, barely.

The Limited playlist is so rife with douchebags that it's nice to score a victory of sorts against one now and then.

I was trying to complete the Weekly with a few buddies over LIVE - and lo and behold - I get disconnected during the Hospital section. FUUUUUUUUUU!

Striker

I haven't gotten much sleep so I had to get off. Hopefully the update doesn't hit too late so we can give the revamped BTB a try. I have hope. :lol

Havok

Striker said:
I haven't gotten much sleep so I had to get off. Hopefully the update doesn't hit too late so we can give the revamped BTB a try. I have hope. :lol
Yeah, tomorrow we should pick up another four to go in full strength and try it out. At least then we could force the vote.
The Antitype said:
It's not in Arena or MLG is it?

I actually like some of the wrinkles that AAs bring to the Halo sandbox, but I pretty much only play Team Slayer, Team Objective, BTB and Invasion.

I haven't been to the Arena since season....4, I think? And I have no interest in the MLG playlists.
No, but I don't have any interest in playing MLG settings (I'm fine with a lot of the core Reach settings, which aren't the same in MLG), and Arena is Slayer-only. Is your point that my definition of 'competitive environment' is off? I could understand that. But if you want the objective gametypes that have been the series staple for years, the gametypes that are one of the things that have kept me invested in the series, Objective/BTB is the only option, and teams with Drop Shields kill much of the fun. I was being hyperbolic with a lot of that post (Armor Abilities are not inherently bad, just certain gametype/AA/map combinations, and certainly they bring some neat moments into matches), but Drop Shields seriously need to go in Objective. It's not in the BTB Objective settings, next it needs to be out of Team Objective.

Havok said:
Take a One Flag game on Pinnacle as an example. If two people on defense have Drop Shield, there will never not be a Drop Shield on the flag because a new one goes up when the old one drops, and you'd better bet that one of them has the shotgun in there. It has no place in a competitive environment, along with armor lock, evade, camo, and jetpack, unless they are only used where they make sense, and in moderation. Read: single time use pickups (although I was no fan of the Halo 3 equipment, it at least avoided being actively and frequently infuriating) or complete removal and placement of traditional powerups like Overshield, Camo, and the Custom Speed variant instead. Which, by the way, could help solve the issue of there being a mess of power weapons on any given map. Since there are no powerup pickups, the spots that they would have traditionally been placed in house weapons now.

It's not in Arena or MLG is it?

I actually like some of the wrinkles that AAs bring to the Halo sandbox, but I pretty much only play Team Slayer, Team Objective, BTB and Invasion.

I haven't been to the Arena since season....4, I think? And I have no interest in the MLG playlists.

Ken

GhaleonEB said:
Reverse griefing success. Dude didn't want to play halfway through and suicides seven or eight times hoping to end the game. I managed not to play ball, barely.

The Limited playlist is so rife with douchebags that it's nice to score a victory of sorts against one now and then.

I'm always up for FF Limited when not many people are online so if you want to party up I could send you a friend request.

GhaleonEB

Ken said:
I'm always up for FF Limited when not many people are online so if you want to party up I could send you a friend request.
Feel free, I'm always up for a partner.

I really hope there are some Firefight updates tomorrow, aside from the lone game type getting added to Arcade. There's a huge swath of common sense changes, big and small, that have been provided to Bungie ad nausium in the Optimatch forum. There's no reason they shouldn't be implemented, along with some new game types/enemy mixes to refresh the playlists.
Havok said:
Along with a thread asking for SWAT on Hemorrhage (update: and multiple threads suggesting that Team Objective become Shishka'd and wiped from existence!). Such a quality forum :/
Well yeah. But sifting that noise out you've had tons of people asking for:

1) Voting round restriction removed from Score Attack.
2) Fix or ditch Skirmageddon.
3) Add longer games to Score Attack.
4) Enable booting for betrayals to thwart vehicle-based griefing.
5) Shuffle enemy types across playlists for variety.
6) Remove jetpack from Limited to thwart most idlers.

And a host of other good ideas. Many repeated tons of times. If none of them are adopted...I don't know. I hope some are.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
There's a huge swath of common sense changes, big and small, that have been provided to Bungie ad nausium in the Optimatch forum.
Along with a thread asking for SWAT on Hemorrhage (update: and multiple threads suggesting that Team Objective become Shishka'd and wiped from existence!). Such a quality forum :/

PNut said:
Is there no love for Halo 3 anymore? MT, Social Slayer and BTB are still a blast to play. And there's still a good population of players in the Social playlists, plus you don't have to try and setup complicated internet configurations. It's still on XBOX Live. Take advantage!
There were recently a bunch of people who went back to it for a few days. I don't have anywhere near the amount of love for that game as the previous, though, and that plays a big part in it (plus the maps pale in comparison!).

PNut

Banned
wwm0nkey said:

Is there no love for Halo 3 anymore? MT, Social Slayer and BTB are still a blast to play. And there's still a good population of players in the Social playlists, plus you don't have to try and setup complicated internet configurations. It's still on XBOX Live. Take advantage!

wwm0nkey

PNut said:
Fuck Halo 3 :mad:

Not really, I do want to go do some Halo 3 customs but Halo 2 and CE customs first :lol

Recarpo

Ken said:

Mind if I throw you a friend request for firefight shenanigans, too? None of my buddies really like to play firefight at all...

Top Bottom