• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You

Dani said:
I'm not gathering anything on Bungie's behalf but I am compiling a thorough list of common issues for my own purposes. Screenshots and other visual examples would indeed be helpful.
So its a coincidence other CC"s are doing the same?:p

Anyways, I'll leave a link to the screenshots and such here so I don't clog up the thread.

Just a few that came to my mind at the time of compiling that list.

Lazslo said:
Can't believe no one mentioned 30 Rock yet- The writers were playing Reach and it actually played somewhat a roll in the story-line. I think they were playing the Forgeworld Map Cliffhanger or Cliff-something.

West coast, best coast bro.

Lazslo said:
Can't believe no one mentioned 30 Rock yet- The writers were playing Reach and it actually played somewhat a roll in the story-line. I think they were playing the Forgeworld Map Cliffhanger or Cliff-something.
They were playing on Asylum. I didn't mention it here, but I mentioned it on Twitter within 10 seconds of spying Forge World :p

Objective Performance Bonus:

Easy.

0.5*(Number of kills - 4*Betrayals) + 0.5*Number of non-objective medals + 2*Number of objective medals (e.g. flag grabs, returns, captures, carrier kills, kills as carrier)

Take that number and rank each person within the winning team relative to each other. Do the same for the losing team.

4v4?
Winning team:
1st - Factor = 2.00
2nd - Factor = 1.90
3rd - Factor = 1.80
4th - Factor = 1.70

Losing team:
1st - Factor = 1.00
2nd - Factor = 0.90
3rd - Factor = 0.80
4th - Factor = 0.70

Objective performance bonus = Factor * Average Slayer Performance Bonus (or whatever your standard is)

Important: Make the Factor value apparent to the player. Tell them they are getting 2.00x the credits, or only 0.70x. You don't have to explain the formula in-game, players just need to see a consistent number tied to their performance (that's coming from my opinion that the Game Completion bonus should not scale with your Service Record rank).

Just an idea I was brainstorming. And Dani I will write up a list of playlist issues tomorrow when I have a chance to sit down and think them out. Expect a well-thought out and reasoned list. ;)

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
LOL a fair point. However, on a decent host the DMR registers better than any other Halo game. My shots actually hit at long range.

Really late to replying, but I don't have a problem with the DMR at all, that was mainly a jab at bloom. Reach had me so hyped with the return of hitscan, but then something is implemented that completely negates why I was excited in the first place. :p

I just have a sour taste in my mouth about that game last night, shot were not registering, trying to pace bloom was fruitless, and I was crapped on in return, lol.

Dani said:
Awesome lists and details folks.

I'm noticing a lot of it is already lining up with some of the bigger points I have at hand already, but keep it up.

-Ghaleon's Firefight article for sure.

Spire and Boneyard.
Don't get rid of spire and Boneyard, they both have a lot of potential to play well.

Don't agree? I hope I can change your mind

Boneyard:
-Unlike spire, no one spawns on the "unused" side of boneyard. I believe it contains one ghost, and that is something easily put somewhere else. Close it off!

-The ship are is tricky, but only allow the half facing the battlefield to be open.

-The core room is very unused as a battlefield space. We can fix this. We need to place some regular spawns for each team to spawn in, this will also cut back on any spawn camping.

-Put a main power weapon spawn in the core building, I am thinking a laser, or rocket launcher. We can also put some other average weapons on each side like a DMR or Plasma Repeater.

-Place the vehicles in different places, the tank is fine but put the warthog, ghosts, and mongoose in places that don't block map movement.

- Place the banshee facing the ship, I don't know why it faces one way versus the other, but it should not.

Spire:

-The spire is more tricky, it has better used invasion "first round" space with the banshee and rockets. Here is what I think could work

-Slayer, block off the unused part. Place the falcons in REASONABLE locations, they both block off map movement for sure. Put one falcon behind the bfg, and the other at the very back of where the mancannon is for the other team. Place the banshee on the top of the spire, right behind that shield door it has up there.

-Place the rocket launcher up in the middle of the spire as well, its the SPIRE, people should be controlling it.

-Remove snipers on map and give each team a focus rifle spawn, this will allow it to be used effectively on the map, and not make it overpowered on the Spire.

-Place other vehicles in places that do NOT disrupt map movement

-Objective games, get rid of the flag on the BFG, that is so boring. How about putting it on the spire, and still giving them a "mini" base at the BFG.

All in all keep spire slayer, and I think the boneyard changes would be really effective.

also, lake:

245ipat.jpg

BTW, it is a joke, try not to take it to heart :p. I also have a special picture in the works, for.... you know... when I win ;)

Lazslo said:

They were playing on Asylum.

"You need some R&R, rum and ritalin"

"Shower scotch"

"God, are you mad at me because I have better hair than you?"

Actually, I would like to retract my previous idea for Objective Performance Bonus. I thought about it more and even with proper weighting it would promote too much griefing to tie credits to medals.

You win as a team, you lose as a team. And you tie as a team.

X = Average amount of credits earned in a normal Slayer game.

Winning team (in objective):
Credits earned = X*1.75

Losing team:
Credits earned = X*0.75

In the event of a tie (e.g. 0-0 CTF games), both teams:
Credits earned = X*1.00 (or maybe 1.25 to draw more people from the Slayer playlists)

So even if you lose three objective games in a row, as long as your team wins the fourth one you break even (relative to what you would have gotten in four slayer games).

But if Trueskill™ is working, you should theoretically win (or at least tie) 50% of your games.

Summary: Basically modify the loss penalty from Arena rankings and apply it to the credit payout in Objective.

Quick aside: Why don't we include Arena rankings in ALL of the Slayer playlists? Hell, why not in all of the Objective playlists too, since Arena score is currently based on win/loss only anyways? I don't care if the other playlists aren't tuned for competition, just give the masses a reason to fight harder for the win.

GhaleonEB

I am a happy man tonight. Thanks, Urk and company. <3

I'd like to note that Nadefight is underrated.
Trasher said:
Wait. Why? Did I miss something? Explain the stuff before you post something like that. :(
I was just referring to some Bungie folks reading the article. I was incredibly nervous about posting it, and knowing that at least some folks looked at it makes me happy.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Man, where is everyone tonight? >.>
Getting murdered by school. At least I'm graduating in exactly 14 hours.

A27_StarWolf said:
I rather enjoy reading your clueless posts. :)

GhaleonEB said:
I am a happy man tonight. Thanks, Urk and company. <3
Wait. Why? Did I miss something? Explain the stuff before you post something like that. :(

Ramirez

Letters said:
What's the ETA on Halo 4?

I can't stand anymore this weird feeling of not loving the current Halo

It's definitely weird not having that "one more game" urge with Reach, for me anyways.

equil

wwm0nkey said:
I think if an entire team quits on you you should get a 2x Cr bonus.

That or have like a window that pops up, kinda like the betrayal window, where you'd push X to surrender.

Ramirez said:
Reach had me so hyped with the return of hitscan, but then something is implemented that completely negates why I was excited in the first place. :p
If I could 'like' this post a thousand times I would. It resonates so strongly with what was then my deepest longing for Reach, and what is now my most painful and sorrowful disappointment. I was on cloud 9 when I heard that Reach was going back to hitscan. Then Bloom ripped out my heart and soul.
wwm0nkey said:
I think if an entire team quits on you you should get a 2x Cr bonus.
I've always thought this, even since Halo2 days. If that one remaining player quits out, he/she gets penalized. If they stay in, the opposing team gets bored and hates the player for staying; and the remaining player gets brutalized. Giving double credit to a player whose whole team has quit out could get abused, I suppose, by boosters, but surely by this point Bungie or 343i could have some kind of filter or system in place that can catch people playing in the same party over and over again.

Why not put in place a system where as soon as a player is left by himself on a team, the game ends. The opposing team gets credit for a win. The remaining player on the other team gets the same credit. It doesn't even have to be double credit: just the same amount for winning. No point in only rewarding the suffering player. End the game early so the other team doesn't have to be bored or waste time in a pointless game.

Booshka

Is there a system in place where once one player quits the game, any subsequent players that leave are not penalized for leaving? If not, I feel that would help with this problem. You shouldn't be penalized for quitting if someone already left before you and ruined the game. The first person that left should be penalized, and not the ones after.

Since when does the dmr suffer from host advantage? If the reticule is centered, it is gonna hit what it is aiming at. Eazy as that really. But hey, what would I know? It's not as if you haven't posted a single bit of evidence to suggest what most accept as being true... oh wait. I play with a fairly bad connection at times and have never encountered what you describe. By all means, prove me wrong.

Trasher

Hydranockz said:
Since when does the dmr suffer from host advantage? If the reticule is centered, it is gonna hit what it is aiming at. Eazy as that really. But hey, what would I know? It's not as if you haven't posted a single bit of evidence to suggest what most accept as being true... oh wait. I play with a fairly bad connection at times and have never encountered what you describe. By all means, prove me wrong.
It does... Even though it's not a lot (Reach is actually the best out of the other Halos in respect to this) there is still a small advantage. If you want proof then test how far your range is with the DMR on a map like Hemo, and the next time you play that map in matchmaking see if you notice a difference. I assure you will.

Booshka said:
Is there a system in place where once one player quits the game, any subsequent players that leave are not penalized for leaving? If not, I feel that would help with this problem. You shouldn't be penalized for quitting if someone already left before you and ruined the game. The first person that left should be penalized, and not the ones after.
No one is penalized for quitting. Quit to your heart's content.

Trasher said:
It does... Even though it's not a lot (Reach is actually the best out of the other Halos in respect to this) there is still a small advantage. If you want proof then test how far your range is with the DMR on a map like Hemo, and the next time you play that map in matchmaking see if you notice a difference. I assure you will.
So we are talking about the extreme long distance battles? I have a genuine problem landing my sights on players at distances similar to those on Hemo. Nothing to do with the dmr though. My memory usually tells me that in the odd chance I did line it up ok, I would get a hit. It's somethin I would love to test though.

Trasher

Hydranockz said:
So we are talking about the extreme long distance battles? I have a genuine problem landing my sights on players at distances similar to those on Hemo. Nothing to do with the dmr though. My memory usually tells me that in the odd chance I did line it up ok, I would get a hit. It's somethin I would love to test though.
I'm just saying that it's easier to notice the farther away your target is.

Lake Minnetonka said:
No one is penalized for quitting. Quit to your heart's content.
Not exactly true. You're less likely to get big credit bonuses after a game and habitual quitting can/will lead to temporary bans and placement with other quitters in games. At least that is how I thought they were doing it.

Nutter

Deputy Moonman said:
Not exactly true. You're less likely to get big credit bonuses after a game and habitual quitting can/will lead to temporary bans and placement with other quitters in games. At least that is how I thought they were doing it.
uh...

I have quit out of perhaps 3 games in my total 2000+ and have yet to hit the Jackpot.. and my credit bonus is just as low as the rest of my team (i.e Low)

Sai-kun

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:

The only reason you're more likely to get it if you don't quit is because if you quit...you can't get a bonus. So you're missing out on that chance.

Letters said:
What's the ETA on Halo 4?

I can't stand anymore this weird feeling of not loving the current Halo
I just sent Tunavi two messages on XBL that expressed this sentiment (albeit with a lot more cursing).

Halo means so much to me. It's why my girlfriend and I got together. It's how I spent my time in high school.

Reach's campaign is the warm embrace of unconditional love.

The multiplayer is the cold shoulder of a jilted ex. You keep going back to her to make amends, but she keeps slapping you in the face.

Nutter said:
uh...

I have quit out of perhaps 3 games in my total 2000+ and have yet to hit the Jackpot.. and my credit bonus is just as low as the rest of my team (i.e Low)
Oh. I've had 2 maybe 3 good jackpots over the course of my Reach career. I've only quit out a few times. Usually when I'd get a bunch of credits, it was after really bad games. I've always felt like I got them because the game was feeling sorry for me.

Nutter

Deputy Moonman said:
Oh. I've had 2 maybe 3 good jackpots over the course of my Reach career. I've only quit out a few times. Usually when I'd get a bunch of credits, it was after really bad games. I've always felt like I got them because the game was feeling sorry for me.
Ah.. I see the secret to getting higher payouts is to suck at the game. Got it.

:p

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I just sent Tunavi two messages on XBL that expressed this sentiment (albeit with a lot more cursing).

Halo means so much to me. It's why my girlfriend and I got together. It's how I spent my time in high school.

Reach's campaign is the warm embrace of unconditional love.

The multiplayer is the cold shoulder of a jilted ex. You keep going back to her to make amends, but she keeps slapping you in the face.
lol yup I got those.
I dunno I feel the complete opposite right now. I love Reach's multiplayer as long I'm playing with friends. Just spent the night playing Infection and Invasion with my buddies. Really good times.

Invasion has to be the greatest thing in Reach. So much teamwork, so many epic finishes, great pacing of gameplay, fun battles over an objective. It combines everything good about Halo into a single match. It involves regular slayer gunplay, objectives, big team battle, vehicles, capture the flag, huge maps, and power weapons. I love trying to get kills in between the objective timer running out and before the game/round ends. I want to see another Invasion map in the next DLC. A well made fourth map to compliment Boneyard, Spire, and Breakpoint would make the playlist even more amazing.

Yes, bloom sucks, armor lock is horrible (although I'm not seeing it much lately), the double beat down is atrocious, and spawn killers in BTB really suck. But I don't know, I'm having a ton of fun with Reach. Whenever I do get frustrated with multiplayer, I just head into firefight limited, and it really balances things out for me.

Starwolf said it best. Halo is fun with friends. Reach is the most extreme Halo game about this concept. Randoms can and will ruin your experience. Remember the last two times we played? We won 14 games in a row one night and then 7 games in a row the next.

vhfive

Dax01 said:
Kay, I have some more suggestions for the BTB playlist.

-Remove Team Snipers
-Remove Boneyard and Spire from the playlist.
yup

EDIT: Classic Playlist
I would also like to see some Reach maps in the Classic playlist (Countdown, Zealot, Anchor 9, Reflection, andAsylum the MLG Sanctuary with the Halo 2 weapon placements,). I don't know why Reflection hasn't been put in there already with the Halo 2 weapon layout doesn't make any sense. Having those maps in there would add some nice diversity to the all gray block maps we have know.
Also take out the Damnation remake out that map is shit. If the other team gets control of the top first you are pretty much fucked. With the two teleporters being the only way to get to the top floor it's fucking hard (impossible if you're going up against a coordinated team) to kick them out gain control of the top floor yourself (not to mention even if you do kill one or two of them they'll just respawn up there anyways).

Striker

Ramirez said:
Man, Hemo really needs to be taken out of 4v4, I'm truly baffled as to why people vote for it in the first place.
They had Coagulation and Valhalla in 4v4 stuff too, so I can see why they were inclined to add Hemorrhage. That said, it makes zero sense to not have a DMR start and also perhaps remove the human Snipers as that's what defines what truly goes on. Whoever has a better sniper on the team will most often win out. In a map like Ascension, that was fine since it was small and you saw where he had shot from. Here it's rather unfortunate and I still don't understand why/how Bungie neglects the form of "1-flag Fast" and "Multi-CTF DMRs" like Halo 2 did.

As for removing Boneyard and Spire, I would say change them up, rather than outright removal. Both are used in inexplicable ways. Why is Boneyard sideways, and not having to shift from the building to the core structure? It can be a 1-one sided map built for 1-bomb and 1-flag that if used appropriately. The same group who created Utopie and Wayont have a map built exactly that way, and I'm stunned they didn't even think of adopting that map and replacing the current file. It baffles me. I haven't heard one person say they enjoy One Flag on Boneyard or Boneyard's spawning in general.

Spire is basically the same way. Why use half the map? Why not spawn some people close to the river, add teleporters, add a vehicles, and storm the Spire? Set it up in an asymmetric fashion unlike what you can call it now. Of course you add most spawns around the Core Phase 1 areas and the BFG spots, but this can't be any worse than what's currently in there. It's mindfuck of heavy weapons, vehicles, and disorderliness.

Also for argument's sake, why in the hell is Paradiso still in the BTB lineup when Utopie is also there? Paradiso is inferior in so many ways. Is this the old classic of Cage/Uncaged, The Pit/Pit Stop, etc. formula? Ugh. Remove the one that's a mess.

dc89

5v5 Slayer is brilliant fun imo.

I don't know why, but that extra person per team makes the game more, how do I put it, action-y?

The firefights you get into are more chaotic. I got a few Triple Kills too which always makes me happy.

kylej

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
You're less likely to get big credit bonuses after a game and habitual quitting can/will lead to temporary bans and placement with other quitters in games.

People still care about the credit system?

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:

Every weapon suffers from host advantage, it's not just the DMR. If the game I'm talking about is still in my history I'll post it. Of course the only time it becomes frustrating is against good people (which are extremely rare in TO), bad people are bad in red, yellow, or green connections. ;)

vhfive said:
yup

EDIT: Classic Playlist
I would also like to see some Reach maps in the Classic playlist (Countdown, Zealot, Anchor 9, Reflection, andAsylum the MLG Sanctuary with the Halo 2 weapon placements,). I don't know why Reflection hasn't been put in there already with the Halo 2 weapon layout doesn't make any sense. Having those maps in there would add some nice diversity to the all gray block maps we have know.
Also take out the Damnation remake out that map is shit. If the other team gets control of the top first you are pretty much fucked. With the two teleporters being the only way to get to the top floor it's fucking hard (impossible if you're going up against a coordinated team) to kick them out gain control of the top floor yourself (not to mention even if you do kill one or two of them they'll just respawn up there anyways).

God no there are many WAY better Sanctuary's than MLG's. MLG's is significantly better than Asylum, but that is about it. There are variants of Sanctuary out there that are actually true to Halo 2's. Raised cars, a real ring 3, indent bon, better ring 2, grass, better rock formation, better forging in general.

Funny story, MLG actually created a much better Sanctuary themselves for v4 (raised cars, grass, etc) and then they let the pros (who hadn't tested shit for v4) decide what maps went into v4. They voted against the new Sanctuary despite the fact that it is blatantly better in just about every way.

With that said, I would love a good Sanctuary in the classic playlist.

Quick question:

How many players are in typical games of:
Living Dead
Rumble Pit
Multi Team

(e.g. Team Slayer is usually 8 players total.)

And just to double check:
Squad Slayer = 10 players
Invasion = 12 players
Defiant Map Pack = 12 players
Right?

I'm just playing around in Excel with Ghaleon's playlist population numbers from yesterday.

ncsuDuncan said:
Quick question:

How many players are in typical games of:
Living Dead = 12
Rumble Pit =8
Multi Team = 12

(e.g. Team Slayer is usually 8 players total.)

And just to double check:
Squad Slayer = 10 players
Invasion = 12 players
Defiant Map Pack = 12 players
Right?

I'm just playing around in Excel with Ghaleon's playlist population numbers from yesterday.

Answers

Trasher said:
Getting murdered by school. At least I'm graduating in exactly 14 hours.

I rather enjoy reading your clueless posts. :)

why? I'm only kidding around.

What did you guys think of my ideas for Spire and Boneyard. I would like some legit feedback.

I shall post again:

Spire and Boneyard.
Don't get rid of spire and Boneyard, they both have a lot of potential to play well.

Don't agree? I hope I can change your mind

Boneyard:
-Unlike spire, no one spawns on the "unused" side of boneyard. I believe it contains one ghost, and that is something easily put somewhere else. Close it off!

-The ship are is tricky, but only allow the half facing the battlefield to be open.

-The core room is very unused as a battlefield space. We can fix this. We need to place some regular spawns for each team to spawn in, this will also cut back on any spawn camping.

-Put a main power weapon spawn in the core building, I am thinking a laser, or rocket launcher. We can also put some other average weapons on each side like a DMR or Plasma Repeater.

-Place the vehicles in different places, the tank is fine but put the warthog, ghosts, and mongoose in places that don't block map movement.

- Place the banshee facing the ship, I don't know why it faces one way versus the other, but it should not.

Spire:

-The spire is more tricky, it has better used invasion "first round" space with the banshee and rockets. Here is what I think could work

-Slayer, block off the unused part. Place the falcons in REASONABLE locations, they both block off map movement for sure. Put one falcon behind the bfg, and the other at the very back of where the mancannon is for the other team. Place the banshee on the top of the spire, right behind that shield door it has up there.

-Place the rocket launcher up in the middle of the spire as well, its the SPIRE, people should be controlling it.

-Remove snipers on map and give each team a focus rifle spawn, this will allow it to be used effectively on the map, and not make it overpowered on the Spire.

-Place other vehicles in places that do NOT disrupt map movement

-Objective games, get rid of the flag on the BFG, that is so boring. How about putting it on the spire, and still giving them a "mini" base at the BFG.

All in all keep spire slayer, and I think the boneyard changes would be really effective.

For hitmonchan!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/

Hypertrooper said:
Don't post old news. But according GameInformer's today news, it is coming:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ombat-evolved-remake-coming-this-holiday.aspx

The only source is still the old Joystiq's article

Btw. if you didn't know it, but GameInformer had confirmed that Nintendo is going to show their new console this year.

Don't post old news :p, and I posted the wrong article. IGN confirmed that Nintendo would be putting out a new system at E3.

Ken said:
Spire: Remove Banshee

I disagree, its not like this is Breakpoint, less cover in general. The map had focus rifles, warthogs, falcons, rocket launchers, and a plain DMR will do fine.

I would make an argument that the Banshee is a good fit on Spire.

However, if you just have a problem with vehicles in a BTB map so big it probably won't ever be good experience for you.

Top Bottom