• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

LAUGHTREY said:
They need to move the banshee at least so it's not on one teams side.

yeah I think I pointed that out, just block off that unused side where the Banshee and rockets are. Put the banshee right behind the shield door on the top of the spire, its the one people always jump out of when they get the core in Invasion.

That way if both teams were to take a man cannon up at the same time, the Banshee is equidistant from both landing points of the manncanonns that bring you up top.

However like I said before, I believe that my Boneyard suggestions would work very well.

NOKYARD said:
Revealing my core strategy!

Reminds me of the beginning of Halo 3. A few playlists had suicide set to 0 instead of -1. So if you were up but then were having trouble finishing you could just suicide til the game ended. Ahh Shishka!

wwm0nkey

So guys the new Xbox console was given to EA studios last month and apparently launches at the end of 2012, what do you think Halo CEmake on that or the current system?

Also the new console is probably why we havent heard of the current 343i project.

wwm0nkey said:
So guys the new Xbox console was given to EA studios last month and apparently launches at the end of 2012, what do you think Halo CEmake on that or the current system?

Also the new console is probably why we havent heard of the current 343i project.

Not even 2 years to work on a game? It's probably not true.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:

Umm, did you read the thread? That rumour is total BS. Meaningless.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
Umm, did you read the thread? That rumour is total BS. Meaningless.
The GI one? Yeah I know they just reused joystiq's story from like 3 months ago, but the outsourcing rumor is false but we do not know if the Halo CEmake 100% not happening.

If you mean the new console one, i see no reason not to believe that one.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
If you mean the new console one, i see no reason not to believe that one.

- New Dev Console inside PC Casing

Prototype units are usually custom built PC's built to spec to mirror the final target hardware spec. They aren't special versions of the console hardware inside a PC case.

- Launching 2012

Rushing to market? I refuse to believe Microsoft hasn't learnt lessons from the 360 launch and refuse to believe Microsoft would allow Nintendo bully them into releasing hardware on their terms

- Announcement at E3

Hah. Console announcements are usually big events with lots of fan fare. Last minute inclusion with a few sentences to be said and maybe a mocked up, not finalised logo and nothing else to show? No chance in hell.

- KINECT

They have sold about a gazillion so far. Giving up the 360 next year risks the money KINECT brings in.

So yeah, an unnamed source that provides no solid details isn't enough to convince me that MS is rushing out new hardware next year.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
- New Dev Console inside PC Casing

Prototype units are usually custom built PC's built to spec to mirror the final target hardware spec. They aren't special versions of the console hardware inside a PC case.

- Launching 2012

Rushing to market? I refuse to believe Microsoft hasn't learnt lessons from the 360 launch and refuse to believe Microsoft would allow Nintendo bully them into releasing hardware on their terms

- Announcement at E3

Hah. Console announcements are usually big events with lots of fan fare. Last minute inclusion with a few sentences to be said and maybe a mocked up, not finalised logo and nothing else to show? No chance in hell.

- KINECT

They have sold about a gazillion so far. Giving up the 360 next year risks the money KINECT brings in.

So yeah, an unnamed source that provides no solid details isn't enough to convince me that MS is rushing out new hardware next year.
The E3 "announcement" I think will be more of an acknowledgement that they are in fact working on a new system, as for Kinect, who says it wont launch compatible with Kinect?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:
The E3 "announcement" I think will be more of an acknowledgement that they are in fact working on a new system, as for Kinect, who says it wont launch compatible with Kinect?

The it's not an announcement. It's not even an announcement of an announcement.

We know Microsoft is looking in to new console hardware just by looking at their job openings and the obvious inevitability. Just like people knew Nintendo was working on a new console before any evidence came to light and same is with Sony too.

I think Kinect alone expanded the 360 lifespan considerably and, as such, new hardware is years off, not months.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:

We know Microsoft is looking in to new console hardware just by looking at their job openings and the obvious inevitability. Just like people knew Nintendo was working on a new console before any evidence came to light and same is with Sony too.

I think Kinect alone expanded the 360 lifespan considerably and, as such, new hardware is years off, not months.
Well to be fair a end of 2012 date wouldn't be totally unbelievable, I personally predict a end of 2013 myself but again we will see if the mention of the new system happens at E3 or not.

(I want them to announce a controller input for Kinect more than a new system honestly)

GhaleonEB

Played a game and made a clip, turned it off, and then realized I didn't load it to file share. I fire Reach back up, and there's an announcement splash page. Short version:

Super Jackpot Weekend is now active. Big Team Battle has a daily Super Jackpot of 9,000 credits per day this weekend.

Double Jackpots (slot machine payouts) for: The Arena, Squad Slayer, and Defiant Map Pack all weekend.

Dani said:
I don't see a new Microsoft platform until 2013 myself, because of Kinect. As you said, the entire point was to extend the life cycle.

Edit: here's the clip. Click image. I'm very easily amused. :lol

Sadly they'd de-spawned when the next Wraith drop rolled around, but I think I've got myself a new meta-game.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Well to be fair a end of 2012 date wouldn't be totally unbelievable, I personally predict a end of 2013 myself but again we will see if the mention of the new system happens at E3 or not.

(I want them to announce a controller input for Kinect more than a new system honestly)
1. They want to suck as much life out of the 360 as possible. It is still selling strong, and the kinect release put it on top. A new announcement at this point would mean sales drop like a rock.

2. There is no such thing as a good game made in a year and a half.

3. Bethesda.

GhaleonEB said:
Played a game and made a clip, turned it off, and then realized I didn't load it to file share. I fire Reach back up, and there's an announcement splash page. Short version:

Super Jackpot Weekend is now active. Big Team Battle has a daily Super Jackpot of 9,000 credits per day this weekend.

Double Jackpots (slot machine payouts) for: The Arena, Squad Slayer, and Defiant Map Pack all weekend.

I don't see a new Microsoft platform until 2013 myself, because of Kinect. As you said, the entire point was to extend the life cycle.
They really need to do double jackpots for Team Classic so people will give it another shot.

blamite

The Real Napsta said:
They really need to do double jackpots for Team Classic so people will give it another shot.
Yes please. Last weekend's Jackpot seemed ti have a minor, but noticeable effect on Defiant's population. An actual ingame announcement would do a lot to help out a wonderful playlist that badly needs players.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
1. They want to suck as much life out of the 360 as possible. It is still selling strong, and the kinect release put it on top. A new announcement at this point would mean sales drop like a rock.

2. There is no such thing as a good game made in a year and a half.

3. Bethesda.
Hey like I said I have my own personal doubts about the rumor myself :)

Still though Controller input for Kinect needs to happen so we can get some FPS games with this thing :(

wwm0nkey said:
Hey like I said I have my own personal doubts about the rumor myself :)

Still though Controller input for Kinect needs to happen so we can get some FPS games with this thing :(

An accessory for a gimmick accessory? No thanks.

Dani said:

Yeah the Kinect has now sold over 10 million units, which has been great for the Xbox. Microsoft has said several times that they are aiming for a 10-year cycle with the 360 thanks to Kinect. That would mean 2015 for a new console. The only rumor out there listed the target launch date for the new Xbox as possibly being 2014. I don't think it's even remotely possible to see a new Xbox in 2012.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah the Kinect has now sold over 10 million units, which has been great for the Xbox. Microsoft has said several times that they are aiming for a 10-year cycle with the 360 thanks to Kinect. That would mean 2015 for a new console. The only rumor out there listed the target launch date for the new Xbox as possibly being 2014. I don't think it's even remotely possible to see a new Xbox in 2012.
I guess we're getting the new Xbox in 2013. But after the release Microsoft isn't going to abandon the support of the 360 directly.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
ummm cycle doesnt exactly mean they wont make a new console before 2015, just means they are going to support the 360 for 10 years unlike the Xbox where they just killed it the second the 360 released.

wwm0nkey said:
ummm cycle doesnt exactly mean they wont make a new console before 2015, just means they are going to support the 360 for 10 years unlike the Xbox where they just killed it the second the 360 released.

What makes you think they won't do the same thing with the 360 that they did with the Xbox? And that doesn't mean they just drop support for the thing completely, but they aren't exactly going to encourage producers to make games for the old Xbox when the new one is out, nor are they going to spend any money marketing it.

It just doesn't make any sense to release a new Xbox in the next year, and if they were going to anyways, we would be hearing whispers about it (It's Microsoft, any and all products they make have info leak about them).

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
What makes you think they won't do the same thing with the 360 that they did with the Xbox?
The OXbox was not selling like the 360 is.

I do not believe that there will be an xbox until Fall 2014 at the earliest.

Wii is playing catch up with their worthless old hardware. Whatever they're doing is irrelevant to the immediate release of a new console. Maybe we'll see a controller add-on for kinect a la the wii2 controller.

And, right now, it would do more harm than good to release a new console, in terms of development costs and consumer investment.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
What makes you think they won't do the same thing with the 360 that they did with the Xbox? And that doesn't mean they just drop support for the thing completely, but they aren't exactly going to encourage producers to make games for the old Xbox when the new one is out, nor are they going to spend any money marketing it.
The Xbox was hemorrhaging cash, while the 360 is now making it. They'll want the 360 to be a cash cow as the next generation ramps up.

MrBig said:
The OXbox was not selling like the 360 is.

I do not believe that there will be an xbox until Fall 2014 at the earliest.

Wii is playing catch up with their worthless old hardware. Whatever they're doing is irrelevant to the immediate release of a new console. Maybe we'll see a controller add-on for kinect a la the wii2 controller.

And, right now, it would do more harm than good to release a new console, in terms of development costs and consumer investment.

Agreed completely.

The reason the Wii needs a new console is that they have awful third-party support and although everyone on the planet bought one, they haven't bought any software for them. I know mine just collects dust.

They need a reboot with some real hardware and some third-party support.

GhaleonEB said:
The Xbox was hemorrhaging cash, while the 360 is now making it. They'll want the 360 to be a cash cow as the next generation ramps up.

I think it's doubtful that MS will make the next Xbox until it will make money on hardware sales, unlike the original Xbox. The 360 is making them money and continues to do so, there isn't any reason to rush out new hardware to sell it at a loss when there current hardware is rolling in the dough and their software sales are the best of the three consoles.

Funny related note to this new MS console talk, LA Noire will be on THREE discs for the 360 version haha.

Ken

A27_StarWolf said:
I disagree, its not like this is Breakpoint, less cover in general. The map had focus rifles, warthogs, falcons, rocket launchers, and a plain DMR will do fine.

I would make an argument that the Banshee is a good fit on Spire.

However, if you just have a problem with vehicles in a BTB map so big it probably won't ever be good experience for you.

Except the Banshee can use all the cover on the Spire, including the Spire itself, to avoid all those weapons. Too many structures to break line of sight, and the Banshee's boost speed allows it to escape too easily. It's speed, combined with its powerful fuel rod cannon, is why I find it more problematic on any map compared to all other vehicles, Scorpion included.

Given the difference in our Banshee k/d ratio, it's obvious we've had different experiences with the vehicle and so would think differently about its inclusion.

wwm0nkey

I vote we talk about the next gen rumor talk over into the new xbox thread over at gaming :lol

Anyways about the quitting in this game, I honestly would not mind a system like most games have today where another player replaces the one that just quit.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
I vote we talk about the next gen rumor talk over into the new xbox thread over at gaming :lol

Anyways about the quitting in this game, I honestly would not mind a system like most games have today where another player replaces the one that just quit.
That relic of a feature called "Join in Progress"

Ken

wwm0nkey said:

That would probably increase the frequency of quitters of both initial players and the new players being brought in and put on the losing team.

Ken said:
That would probably increase the frequency of quitters of both initial players and the new players being brought in and put on the losing team.
Agreed. But the problem of 4 v 1 or 6 v 4 does need to be solved.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
So, players who get dropped into those games would generally land on a team that's already losing. It would not help, because no one likes to start out in the hole.

Personally, I still think people should lose credits - lots of them - for quitting. At least as much as you would have made in the game.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
So, players who get dropped into those games would generally land on a team that's already losing. It would not help, because no one likes to start out in the hole.

Personally, I still think people should lose credits - lots of them - for quitting. At least as much as you would have made in the game.
But why should a player care about credits?
Rank means nothing. Armor means nothing.
This isn't 10 years ago where it kids were just playing for fun, now everyone is an mlg cod pro

Zeouterlimits said:

I remember them mentioning throwing around ideas such as giving the team with fewer players better CR payouts/ a surrender option/ better loadouts.

Personally I think if your the last person on your team you should be allowed to surrender the game.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
But why should a player care about credits?
Rank means nothing. Armor means nothing.
Your opinion is fine and all, but the fact is people do care about credits. That is why there are idlers, that is why credit jackpots motivate, that is why people do Challenges (or the main one, at least). The investment system isn't perfect by any stretch, but a lot of people are motivated by their piles of virtual space bucks. Credits are the basis for the entire investment system. Leveraging them to demotivate poor behavior would help.

Cocopjojo said:
Looks like the PAX 3-day passes are sold out.

http://prime.paxsite.com/index.php

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=140560

Hope everyone got 'em early!
Holy shit, they sold out early this year! Glad I scooped mine up as soon as they went live.

I just think these are some interesting numbers to look at. Thankfully it's near the bottom of a page...

I started tinkering in Excel with Ghaleon's population post from yesterday.
(I think these numbers are how many players are currently in the lobby/searching for games in the past minute. Might be wrong on that though.)

I'll first separate out the Campaign/Firefight playlists:
Code:
Playlist                     Players
FIREFIGHT ARCADE             5,534
SCORE ATTACK                 3,765
FIREFIGHT LIMITED            883
CO-OP CAMPAIGN               364
Ghaleon already has Firefight covered. I do think it would be neat to add a second Campaign playlist targeted at the Daily/Weekly challenges (and if there isn't a current one, just have it set up to cycle through Legendary/LASO) but the population is low enough without splitting it further.

Next I'll separate out the playlists that have built-in communities:
Code:
MLG                          935
GRIFBALL                     800
Despite the low numbers, these playlists don't really need any help. They seem to be populated and managed well enough by the Grifball and MLG communities.

This leaves the following list of Multiplayer playlists that need active population control:
Code:
1.  TEAM SLAYER                  7,891
2.  LIVING DEAD                  5,743
3.  BIG TEAM BATTLE              4,209
4.  TEAM SWAT                    3,911
5.  SQUAD SLAYER                 3,391
6.  TEAM SNIPERS                 2,019
7.  ACTION SACK                  1,935
8.  RUMBLE PIT                   1,606
9.  INVASION                     1,571
10. DOUBLE TEAM                  1,060
11. MULTI TEAM                   1,031
12. THE ARENA                    860
13. TEAM OBJECTIVE               533
14. DEFIANT MAP PACK             498
15. TEAM CLASSIC                 313

Total players (using only these numbers):
Okay, now let's trim the Defiant Map Pack out of there to just look at the numbers for playlists available to the entire population:
Code:
		A 	B 		C 	D 		E
Team Slayer	7891	21.9%		8	6.15%		15.72%
Living Dead	5743	15.9%		12	9.23%		6.69%
Big Team Battle	4209	11.7%		16	12.31%		-0.64%
Team Swat      	3911	10.8%		8	6.15%		4.69%
Squad Slayer	3391	9.4%		10	7.69%		1.71%
Team Snipers	2019	5.6%		8	6.15%		-0.56%
Action Sack	1935	5.4%		8	6.15%		-0.79%
Rumble Pit	1606	4.5%		8	6.15%		-1.70%
Invasion      	1571	4.4%		12	9.23%		-4.88%
Double Team	1060	2.9%		4	3.08%		-0.14%
Multi Team	1031	2.9%		12	9.23%		-6.37%
The Arena      	860	2.4%		8	6.15%		-3.77%
Team Objective	533	1.5%		8	6.15%		-4.68%
Team Classic	313	0.9%		8	6.15%		-5.29%

Totals:       	36073			130
Columns:
A - Population (from Ghaleon's post) (Total = 36073)
B - Percentage of population (ColumnA / 36073)
C - Number of players in a standard game (Total = 130)
D - Share of players if all playlists have the same number of parties/games (ColumnC / 130)
E - Percentage Difference (Column B - Column D)

So in an unreal, idealistic mathmaking world all playlists would have an equal share of the total population (relative to the size of the game, i.e. BTB should have double the share of Team Slayer). Column D is that share percentage, while Column E is the difference between that idealistic view and reality. Obviously I'm talking about numbers alone and not any subjective preference for one playlist as "deserving" more players than another.

Now sort these by Column D:
Code:
Multi Team	1031		-6.37%
Team Classic	313		-5.29%
Invasion    	1571		-4.88%
Team Objective	533		-4.68%
The Arena  	860		-3.77%[i]

Rumble Pit  	1606		-1.70%
Action Sack	1935		-0.79%
Big Team Battle	4209		-0.64%
Team Snipers	2019		-0.56%
Double Team	1060		-0.14%
Squad Slayer	3391		1.71%

[/i]Team Swat     	3911		4.69%
Living Dead	5743		6.69%
Team Slayer	7891		15.72%

So now we have three distinct sections. The top section are the playlists that are "underperforming". The bottom section playlists are overperforming, and the middle ones are approximately where they should be. Keep in mind that I am looking only at the numbers*. Obviously Team Slayer should have a higher share than Team Classic or The Arena.

So (after a long winded post) my ideas for solutions are:
A) Introduce Daily/Weekly challenges tailored specifically to the Playlists in the top/underperforming section. And when I say specifically I mean "Play 10 games in either Team Objective or Team Classic this week. 15000 cR"
B) Drastically modify the amount of Game Completion or Performance credits you get for each playlist. Leave the middle section as is, and leave Team Slayer alone (it gets a pass for being the "standard" Halo playlist) but change all of the others.

Double cR:
Multi Team
Team Classic
Invasion
Team Objective
The Arena

Normal cR:
Rumble Pit
Action Sack
Big Team Battle
Team Snipers
Double Team
Squad Slayer

Half cR: (Seriously)
Living Dead
Team Swat

And not just for the credit "Jackpots" but for every single game. (Although the Super Jackpot and Double Jackpot are a step in the right direction, I don't think BTB or Squad Slayer currently need the help after looking at these numbers.) A Title Screen message alerting players of the adjusted payouts is necessary. Do this until the populations even out a little more. Players that still enjoy playing certain lists can do so (e.g. as opposed to putting Living Dead on a weekend rotation). Players chasing after cR will finally try out some underappreciated playlists.

*Also keep in mind that the numbers I used are just taken from Ghaleon's post and only represent one point in time. Someone at Bungie would obviously have the tools to get more accurate numbers averaged over a longer time period (and has probably already looked at those numbers.)

Again, sorry for the mega-post. TLDR: Team Objective needs Double Credits. Living Dead needs Half Credits.

*applauds*
Love these population analysis and "manipulation" tips/discussions.

But Living Dead and SWAT fans would riot, would consider it discrimination, being punished for playing the gametypes they like.

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
I honestly don't believe that there is a true solution to quitters that would appease all parties. Aside from going in with a party of friends, there's no way to prevent anyone from quitting and there's no way to properly balance the teams in the event of quitting.

Incentives like the rare jackpot and penalties like credit deduction doesn't work since not everyone going into matchmaking is going to care about credits. Those that do won't quit despite it being 6 vs 1, drawing out a match with both sides not having much fun. I recall that Reach was supposed to have a system in place that would pair quitters with other quitters while keeping players who routinelhy finish their games with others of the same mind. The system, in my experiences, really isn't working since I'm still getting quitters on my team and in my games even though I rarely quit games. It seems the reward for not quitting games has been shifted to getting more credits through the fabled jackpot when the reward really should be a better matchmaking experience.

A 'join in progress' system has its own problems as well, with some already mentioned. In addition, adding a player in game isn't going to help the losing team much since they'll have no idea why their team is losing, who has the power weapons, and will most likely try to play the match out in a way that will end up contributing more points to the other team. After awhile, they'll probably quit before the end of the game since they don't feel like it's a loss they deserved.

ncsuDuncan said:
So in an unreal, idealistic mathmaking world all playlists would have an equal share of the total population (relative to the size of the game, i.e. BTB should have double the share of Team Slayer). Column D is that share percentage, while Column E is the difference between that idealistic view and reality. Obviously I'm talking about numbers alone and not any subjective preference for one playlist as "deserving" more players than another.
What in the world?

Playlists don't need credit handicaps. That sort of thing, if it even helped the player population, would just mask the real problem. Either the playlist is inherently unattractive or Bungie needs to fix glaring flaws to make the playlist more attractive.

The only time I see credit boosts being beneficial is it being used temporarily after a playlist update or addition. It should be used to get players to go back and try the playlist now that it's been improved or, in the case of a new playlist, get players to try it for the first time. Seems like they've done with the BTB and Squad Battle so Bungie might be going in the right direction.

A27_StarWolf said:
What did you guys think of my ideas for Spire and Boneyard. I would like some legit feedback.

I shall post again:
Sweet baby Jesus, you're as bad at posting as you are at Halo. You don't need to repost something that's still on the current page, dood.

Ken said:
I honestly don't believe that there is a true solution to quitters that would appease all parties. Aside from going in with a party of friends, there's no way to prevent anyone from quitting and there's no way to properly balance the teams in the event of quitting.
Well there likely is no be-all solution but the rank drops in Halo 3 worked in that sense (until the quit to lose rank was abused). I do like Ghal's suggestion that quitting loses you CR (or more).

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
Well there likely is no be-all solution but the rank drops in Halo 3 worked in that sense (until the quit to lose rank was abused). I do like Ghal's suggestion that quitting loses you CR (or more).
Except the problem with credit loss due to quitting quantifies quitting. If I just pay this much credits, I won't have to stick around in this game so why not pay the price and find a new game. Then there's also people who have no credits and will just dashboard out.

When you give the act of quitting a predetermined price, it will look more like an accepted and maybe even expected option even more than it is currently.

Zeouterlimits said:
*applauds*
Love these population analysis and "manipulation" tips/discussions.

But Living Dead and SWAT fans would riot, would consider it discrimination, being punished for playing the gametypes they like.

Well if they really like those gametypes they shouldn't care about the credit payout. :p

Maybe half is extreme, what about something ambiguous like "Credit payouts for SWAT and Living Dead have been slightly reduced for two weeks." Reduce them to, say, 80% and imply that maybe they'll possibly get Double Credits at a later date.

Maybe do this, but at the same time throw some Community maps in Living Dead to balance the rage.

Ken said:
Except the problem with credit loss due to quitting quantifies quitting. If I just pay this much credits, I won't have to stick around in this game so why not pay the price and find a new game.

Exactly. Losing credits when quitting disconnects the punishment from the crime.

My quitting solution:

Whenever you quit (or disconnect) the matchmaking server makes a note of how much time is left in that game. You can NOT enter ANY playlist until that time has been served. And if you turn your Xbox off, the next time you launch Halo the timer still stands at whatever it was at before. You can play Campaign or Customs, go into Forge or Theater, but you can't re-enter matchmaking until you've served your time. You could also get a cR penalty on top of that. If you waste someone else's time, your own time gets taken away.

Habitual quitters slowly accrue time multipliers (x1.1, x1.5, etc.). :)

Detox

Dani said:
- Launching 2012
Well if they aren't looking to be at the bleeding edge of tech like last time they don't really need to worry about overheating. Most of those issues will have been sorted for hardware that is already on the market.
- Announcement at E3

Tell me about it, absolutely no chance in hell. Nintendo are still trying to recuperate after doing this to their last home console.

Top Bottom