• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:
Well if they really like those gametypes they shouldn't care about the credit payout. :p

Maybe half is extreme, what about something ambiguous like "Credit payouts for SWAT and Living Dead have been slightly reduced for two weeks." Reduce them to, say, 80% and imply that maybe they'll possibly get Double Credits at a later date.

Maybe do this, but at the same time throw some Community maps in Living Dead to balance the rage.

Something like Living Dead should never have been a permanate playlist to begin with. It's derivitive gametype with low skill requirements. It's Halo for babies.

Because it takes no skill to get kills, people flock to it. Halo 3 handled it well by relegating it to a promotional weekend playlist and that is where it should have stayed.

Double XP weekend playlists in Halo 3 were popular because they offered something different from the main playlists, like Living Dead, and gave players a break for the norm. Normalising these playlists has resulted in a significant portion of the player base abandoning traditional playlists for the easier ones. As a result the traditional playlists have suffered.

If they took away Action Sack, Living Dead, Grifball et all, placed them in a rotational weekend playlist format, the player bases of those populations would return to the traditional playlists (which need the additional numbers) and when they do pop up once a month or so, would be saturated with players because of how rare they would show up. They would also see higher populations than an average day at the moment.

I honestly think Reach has far too many playlists. The population is spread far too thinly. As a game ages, the population naturally declines and something needs to be done or playlists such as Team Objective and Classic with already low populations are going to suffer terribly.

Magical Super Fairy Elf Wish Playlist Dream

If I had a magic wand of butterflies, time travel and love, I'd go back and time fix the playlists as the following from the very beginning.

Lone Wolves (6-8 Players)
Standard FFA Slayer and Objectives. Exactly as it is now.

Team Slayer
(5v5)
Bump up the numbers for a total of ten players in each game.

Team Objective (5v5)
Flag, Bomb, Oddball and Hill only gametypes. Bump up the teams by one player each.

Team Skirmish (4v4)
Headhunter, Stockpile, Hot Potato and any other non-traditional objective games.

Team Hardcore (4v4)
Snipers and Swat in a single playlist.

Community (4v4)
MLG as it has always been.

Big Team Battle (8v8)
BTB Slayer and Objective and Invasion.

Double Cr Weekend
Each weekend, a new playlist which would rotate between Living Dead, Grifball, Classic and Multi-Team.

Not including the Campaign MM or Firefight stuff, obviously.

Striker

re: Team Tactical/Team Objective

The primary skirmish gametype should always be 4v4. The territorial, Stockpile, etc. gametypes are fine for 5v5. But for CTF, Assault, 3 Plots, KotH, and Oddball are strictly better for 4v4 in most circumstances, and for map standards.

Agreed about the weekend playlists. I've been saying that for weeks. Halo 3 was flocked with an absurd amount of playlists too, even while killing off the best ones it had (Team Objective, Ranked BTB, Squad Battle; the rest was trash). I would also remove Rocket Hog Race from Multi-team, and since there's an Achievement for the gametype, it must be brought back in some form, I'll mention it in the lineup.

Weekend centric playlists should be, as followed, and I would nominate Grifball as a customary slot for each Fri-Sun playlist with a side rotating in and out.

For example:

May 6th-8th Grifball & Living Dead
May 13th-15th Grifball & Rocket Race
May 20th-22nd Grifball & Covenant Warfare (Elite Slayer, Elite CTF, Elite Assault)
May 27th-29th Grifball & Community XXXXX (Invasion, Slayer, Objectives, etc.)

Note: I would also had loved for more playlists that had divisions. I'm talking about one Slayer variety (the other can be something like Squad Battle, 5v5), Objectives (CTF, Assault, 3 Plots, Koth, Oddball), MLG, Classic (both Slayer/Objectives), Snipers, Swat, and BTB.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Dani said:

If I had a magic wand of butterflies, time travel and love, I'd go back and time fix the playlists as the following from the very beginning.

Remove Headhunter & Juggernaut

Team Skirmish (4v4)
Headhunter, Stockpile, Hot Potato and any other non-traditional objective games.

No.

Team Hardcore (4v4)

Hell no.

Big Team Battle (8v8)

Invasion can stay by itself.
Everything else is fine.

Agree 100% Dani. My mega-post on Double/Half credit was just my suggestion for the current playlist structure. I like yours much better (and below is my slightly modified version of it:

Mythical Wizard Unicorn Wish Playlist Inception

Team Slayer
(5v5)

Team Objective(4v4)
Flag, Bomb, Stockpile only gametypes.

Team Skirmish (4v4)
Headhunter, Oddball, KOTH, Hot Potato and any other non-traditional objective games.

Team Hardcore (4v4)

Big Team Battle (8v8)
BTB Slayer and Objective (No Invasion).

Squad Battle (6v6)
Invasion, Slayer, CTF, Assault

MLG (4v4)

Grifball (4v4)
Because I don't think it's hurting the population and they have a nice self-contained community.

Double Cr Weekend
Each weekend, a new playlist which would rotate between Double Team, Action Sack, Living Dead, Classic and Multi-Team.

Kuroyume

Banned
Dani said:
I honestly think Reach has far too many playlists. The population is spread far too thinly.

That is so stupid. I keep seeing this argument a lot in this thread. Look, I don't even play Living Dead, Griffball, Action Sack or crap of that type so I wouldn't care at all, but taking away those playlists from people is very unfair. People go there because they enjoy it. They don't want play regular Reach. If you took down those playlist they would probably go play some other game. Team Objective isn't going to balloon to the thousands if you remove Living Dead from its own playlist or get rid of Griball. It isn't going to happen.

Hey You

Just because a playlist is popular, it should be removed or reduced to weekend rotations and hope the number in other playlists improve?

That's just stupid.

How about we move MLG,SWAT,Big Team or Team Slayer to weekend rotations? Maybe more people will play Classic and Objective!

If my favorite playlists were removed or reduced to a couple of weekends, I would play Reach hell of a lot less than I do currently.

How about your favorite playlist gets moved to weekends? Just because you don't like a certain playlist, doesn't mean it shouldn't be around.

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
Agree 100% Dani. My mega-post on Double/Half credit was just my suggestion for the current playlist structure. I like yours much better (and below is my slightly modified version of it:
Keep Stockpile with its new gametype brethren, despite it being the best of them. Dani had TO right except for the 5v5. If anything, just axe Hot Potato and Headhunter completely, and keep Stockpile's weighting significantly lower than CTF/Assault/KOTH, maybe around the same as Oddball.

Detox

For the double cR playlist just give us a no bloom weekend, just call it an experiment. 4v4 only on Hemo, Paradiso, Isolation (forgeworld) and Orbital (forgeworld) still guaranteed to be the most popular playlist in the game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Havok said:
Keep Stockpile with its new gametype brethren, despite it being the best of them. Dani had TO right except for the 5v5. If anything, just axe Hot Potato and Headhunter completely, and keep Stockpile's weighting significantly lower.

I think 4v4 would be fine for TO, but I'm always in a party that ranges from 4 to 6 folks, so setting it at 5 was just me being greedy.

Generally speaking, my "wishlist playlist" is just a notion based on a few things I think are important.

Someone implied that there's a want to remove playlists because they are popular? No, I am not suggesting removing popular playlists for the sake of it, nor am I delusional in thinking TO would balloon upwards with thousands of more players as a result.

Living Dead, as a clearly stated before, is derivative gametype. It's not Halo. It's shooting for babies. No skill or teamwork required, needed or wanted.

It should have remained as a DXP playlist. It had a higher population back in Halo 3 than it does now because it appeared only occasionally and fans of that gametype flocked to it when it did come up. Taking it away from Reach now would pool most of those players into other playlists. It could always come back like it did in Halo 3 with a bumper population too.

Right now, it only contributes to playlist dilution and just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good.

Account Attempt #4 said:
Link

It looks like Final boss is going to be named Instinct and a bunch of other doodz are going to be Final Boss.

The whole team switching nonsense has IMO gotten way out of hand. It's to the point where the constant player shuffling (due in large part to the pressure to succeed resulting in knee jerk reactions) that takes place between every event makes it almost impossible to have a rooting interest for any particular team. What makes it even worse is how MLG seems to encourage it based on the notion that the unpredictability will somehow generate even more hype and in turn increase the viewer count.

The way I see it the classic rivalries that once existed back in the Halo 2 days are long gone along with the of level of interest I'm having for these events. I'm not sure what the solution may be here but something definitely needs to be change.

xxxstylzxxx said:
The whole team switching nonsense has IMO gotten way out of hand. It's to the point where the constant player shuffling (due in large part to the pressure to succeed resulting in knee jerk reactions) that takes place between every event makes it almost impossible to have a rooting interest for any particular team. What makes it even worse is how MLG seems to encourage it based on the notion that the unpredictability will somehow generate even more hype and in turn increase the viewer count.

The way I see it the classic rivalries that once existed back in the Halo 2 days are long gone along with the of level of interest I'm having for these events. I'm not sure what the solution may be here but something definitely needs to be change.

In Halo 2 like 3 teams had a chance at winning. How is that interesting?

xxxstylzxxx said:

I agree totally. It's all but pointless to root for a 'team' based on tradition and prestige. I now find myself supporting whatever team has player 'X' on it. Even looking at the brackets becomes "it's Team Whoever vs.Team With That One Guy". Being a fan since the Halo 2 competitions, I find myself mainly rooting for whoever is left from back in those days. The dynasties are dead :(

EDIT:
In Halo 2 like 3 teams had a chance at winning. How is that interesting?
Good point but it WAS interesting. The tension was about weather the top team could be unseated and being for or against them as a fan gave you a sense of pride and loyalty based on the team's tradition. Now, it's hard to invest loyalty in a team as a fan because your favorite players or combos of teammates scatter to the wind after every tourney that they don't win. But that's the nature of competitive gaming I guess. Finding the right combo to take down the top team. It blows my mind why a team who wins a lot would change after 1 loss.

Apparently Status Quo has stuck together for the most part progressively getting better as a team and took their first championship in Dallas. That kind of makes me want them to win.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
xxxstylzxxx said:

teams changed as much as they do now back then, except for StK, because they didn't need to. and probably str8, because they were always 2nd.

MLG does not encourage that either, but they are still very dumb.

Dani said:

Team Slayer
(5v5)

Team Objective (5v5)
Flag, Bomb, Oddball and Hill only gametypes. Bump up the teams by one player each.

Team Skirmish (4v4)

Team Hardcore (4v4)

Community (4v4)

Big Team Battle (8v8)

Double Cr Weekend
Each weekend, a new playlist which would rotate between Living Dead, Grifball, Classic and Multi-Team.

I like it. Really gets to the bottom of everything.

Also, NA: LASO was fun to get. Saw Mr. Buck and he seems to be doing alright for himself.

Havok said:
Keep Stockpile with its new gametype brethren, despite it being the best of them. Dani had TO right except for the 5v5. If anything, just axe Hot Potato and Headhunter completely, and keep Stockpile's weighting significantly lower than CTF/Assault/KOTH, maybe around the same as Oddball.

I was thinking more along the lines of map design. CTF, Assault, and Stockpile all have stationary bases/areas of focus.

Headhunter, Oddball, KOTH, and Hot Potato are more spread out over the level, with the area of focus constantly shifting.

I know Stockpile is the new guy, but I think it fits closer with the style of CTF and Assault than KOTH and Oddball do, even though KOTH and Oddball are more "Classic".
--

Most importantly (and I think Dani will agree with me) the sky is not falling. I don't think Bungie is going to cut playlists or has reason to. Yet. But eventually as global Reach population declines it will become an issue, and I think some of the solutions being discussed here are decent options.

Halo 2 had dominating teams because it required skill.

I guess also because the top teams were leagues ahead of the amateur or other pro teams.

Now H3 and Reach the competition has all had time to practice/catchup/find the great players. It's all very close so you don't see a dynasty of sorts, similar to many sports. Even if FB did end on a good note as the winningest team.

I think H2 and H3 were just fun to watch, although a few of the Reach games were pretty entertaining, but as a whole not as good as the previous games. I guess we'll see though.

I think all the team switching is them trying to find that new Final Boss that is going to put every other team to shame. It probably won't ever happen again but its not stopping them from trying.

xxjuicesxx said:
Halo 2 had dominating teams because it required skill.

I guess also because the top teams were leagues ahead of the amateur or other pro teams.

I think H2 and H3 were just fun to watch, although a few of the Reach games were pretty entertaining, but as a whole not as good as the previous games. I guess we'll see though.
I thought I was just getting old, but that's it. I pretty much agree with your entire post. As a spectator I'm prepared to give competitive Reach the benefit of the doubt as we're still only one event in. I do wish more teams would stick together, take time to gel even if it means getting thumped a few times.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Also, NA: LASO was fun to get. Saw Mr. Buck and he seems to be doing alright for himself.
Okay, something weird has happened.

After the game, the Challenge Complete thing swing out for both Natalie (my daughter) and I. Natalie hit start to see her progress toward the next rank, and she'd shot up from about 10% to over halfway to Captain.

We turn the system off.

I log back on just now, and it says I have not completed the Challenge, nor earned the credits.

I check my daughter's profile, and the progress she made toward the rank has been revoked - it took the credits away.

Neither of us have the Challenge completed.

Dax, who was in our party, got the LASO Challenge complete.

Here's the game on my profile, with DAX and Natalie in the party.

So, we all got notification that we completed the LASO run, and Natalie and I earned the credits as did Dax. And then the system reversed course and took my and Natalie's completion and credits away. Dax still shows complete even though we were all in the same party.

WTF

Havok

ncsuDuncan said:
I was thinking more along the lines of map design. CTF, Assault, and Stockpile all have stationary bases/areas of focus.
That's all fine in a categorical sense, but the nature of Stockpile capture zone placement is about as unfair as could be. Sword Base, Powerhouse, all are comparable to playing 2-Flag on Zanzibar. My point is that I want poor gametypes away from the playlist I like until this stuff is fixed.

Dani said:
Living Dead, as a clearly stated before, is derivative gametype. It's not Halo. It's shooting for babies. No skill or teamwork required, needed or wanted.

It should have remained as a DXP playlist. It had a higher population back in Halo 3 than it does now because it appeared only occasionally and fans of that gametype flocked to it when it did come up. Taking it away from Reach now would pool most of those players into other playlists. It could always come back like it did in Halo 3 with a bumper population too.

Right now, it only contributes to playlist dilution and just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good.
I'm fairly certain double exp playlists were put in place to vary the MM pallet with playlists that wouldn't be able to sustain a healthy population in a permanent spot. They didn't decide which playlists would go there based on how "derivative" or simple the playlist is, to even humor that idea is ridiculous. You don't put Reach's 2nd most popular playlist on a monthly rotation just because the playlist attracts bad players.

The reason you see all these gimmicky (Living Dead, Action Sack, grifball) and stripped down playlists (SWAT and Snipers) being so popular is because these people don't want to play vanilla Reach. You take Living Dead out and these players won't all suddenly flock to TO and The Arena, most of them will just stop playing. The core playlist populations aren't suffering because of grifball, they're suffering because Reach has a ton of shitty design decisions and the only thing that will help these playlists are the marginal improvements that could be made to the experience through gametype/map updates.

The only possibility of population dilution is that of Squad Battle/Team Slayer/The Arena where there is a lot of redundancy. Again, it's not the distribution of credits or the existence of other goofy playlists that hurt are resulting in poor population for some of these playlists, these are just fringe causes at best. The solution is simple, improve these playlists, make them attractive. The Halo playerbase after the last two releases has been steadily reduced to remedial math middle-schoolers since most people with an appreciation for competitive game design have been scared off. The only thing Bungie/343i can do to get them to play Reach again is make the experience as sufferable as possible through actual playlist management, not credit manipulation and shuffling.

GhaleonEB said:
So, we all got notification that we completed the LASO run, and Natalie and I earned the credits as did Dax. And then the system reversed course and took my and Natalie's completion and credits away. Dax still shows complete even though we were all in the same party.

WTF
Dax stole them, clearly :p

Totally weird though.

Kuroyume

Banned
A few things things...

I thought they removed the Noble maps out of Defiant?

Breakpoint is much better with the Falcons. You can actually play a decent game on there now, but that aside... AR starts? Seriously? You could probably take Reflection and Asylum and put them in the entire space covered by Breakpoint and perhaps have some extra space left over. Someone explain AR starts on this map to me. How does giving players an AR with a pistol secondary make any damn sense given the freaking size of that map. Someone needs to slap Jeremiah on the forehead and ask him what the hell he's thinking because seriously it doesn't make any sense. Has Breakpoint always been AR starts?

Played some BTB earlier... Much better. I think I got Trident or something Assault for my first game. Map looked pretty neat and I had fun there. Didn't get anything more than a bunch of kills with the DMR since the team scored very quickly. I think the team was really confused by the new map. The new version of Paradiso is pretty damn good. I did hop into the Banshee and wreaked havoc for a bit so that wasn't fair but the Banshee seemed to take a while to respawn so the map should be much more fun now... No tanks!

GhaleonEB said:

WTF
Hackers on PSN steal credit card numbers. Hackers on Reach steal credits. :p

Sucks, dude.

I believe that Microsoft will indeed put its console in a computer tower housing and show off something fancy.

I don't believe it to be the right choice at all. I was talking with my professors (yes they are SUPER qualified) and they seemed to think so too.

The PS3 has a "ten year plan" but I don't believe Sony can make up the losses they already have. Kevin Butler may have helped the sales with advertising, (first good Sony add in a looooong time) but it is too little too late. If

and I said IF

Nintendo hits the bullseye with this next console, Sony will have a tough time convincing people that the PS3 is still worth buying. If Microsoft also gets a head start, and hits the mark, that Sony might never recover from a setback like that.

I believe Sony should announce, at least, announce a new console this E3. I believe it would be the smart thing to do.

Again, I don't think we should get rid of Spire or Boneyard. They can both be saved.

Hey You

Lake Minnetonka said:
The reason you see all these gimmicky (Living Dead, Action Sack, grifball) and stripped down playlists (SWAT and Snipers) being so popular is because these people don't want to play vanilla Reach. You take Living Dead out and these players won't all suddenly flock to TO and The Arena, most of them will just stop playing. The core playlist populations aren't suffering because of grifball, they're suffering because Reach has a ton of shitty design decisions and the only thing that will help these playlists are the marginal improvements that could be made to the experience through gametype/map updates.

The only possibility of population dilution is that of Squad Battle/Team Slayer/The Arena where there is a lot of redundancy. Again, it's not the distribution of credits or the existence of other goofy playlists that hurt are resulting in poor population for some of these playlists, these are just fringe causes at best. The solution is simple, improve these playlists, make them attractive. The Halo playerbase after the last two releases has been steadily reduced to remedial math middle-schoolers since most people with an appreciation for competitive game design have been scared off. The only thing Bungie/343i can do to get them to play Reach again is make the experience as sufferable as possible through actual playlist management, not credit manipulation and shuffling.

OR people like to play different things. There are more FPS games then I can count on both hands where people can go and play Straight up Slayer,CTF or Territories.

If people hated Reach as much as everyone says here, people would go back to playing Halo 3 . Just because a certain portion of the player population wants to have some fun and not play straight up game modes that they can find in pretty much every FPS multiplayer, doesn't mean they are bad or garbage.

Most people play video games to have fun, believe it or not.

Hey You said:
OR people like to play different things. There are more FPS games then I can count on both hands where people can go and play Straight up Slayer,CTF or Territories.

If people hated Reach as much as everyone says here, people would go back to playing Halo 3 . Just because a certain portion of the player population wants to have some fun and not play straight up game modes that they can find in pretty much every FPS multiplayer, doesn't mean they are bad or garbage.

Are you implying that the vanilla Halo plays anything like vanilla CoD or BC? The people that predominantly play those playlists do so because its the only way they can have fun in Reach. They don't have fun outside of those playlists because they get shit on by people like myself. The population of the vanilla playlists suffer because a competitive match in Reach is the opposite of fun so people wanting fun competitive gaming go elsewhere or hide with the 500 other competitive Reach players in MLG.

I'm not one to judge but folks that pull out the "play videogames for fun" card as if other people are not having fun are generally pretty terrible at Halo.

zumphry

Banned
Sorry that this post isn't about Halo but who/what should I talk to about problems with a order from the Bungie Store? With a bracelet I ordered a Medium Aerospace shirt and got a 2XL instead.

I'm not fat at all. :'(

Hey You said:
I'm not gonna address the rest of the quote since Lake/Eazy hit the nail on the head, but this. I hate this phrase and people need to stop using it. Playing in a more competitive environment is much more fun for me and a lot of people than asinine, and shallow gametypes like Living Dead and Grifball. But of course the folks in the MLG playlist can't possibly be having fun, it's all SRS BUSNS.

And items in Smash Bros aren't fun either.

Hey You said:

Well going back to Halo 3 isnt the best option considering that its a wasteland, getting a competitive match in Halo 3 is impossible now. Going in as a 4 is impossible and now im finding that even if I go in with 2 friends as a team of 3 50 high in most playlists we need to pray to god that theres another team of 3 to even match up against.

Most of the time that fails so I stick to going in as a 2, in which case we end up with a deranker/ afker in at least one of the teams pretty much every other game lol. 90% of the rest of the time the dude we get wont have a mic. Not exactly the best way to have a competitive match.

I think most other ranked playlists are in a similar position. There are many other FPS's with straight slayer options but non that play like Halo, so thats kind of a no no.

I dont want to take your point out of context but I hate the phrase "Most people play video games to have fun, believe it or not.", but I do understand that you mean that people can have fun without playing Slayer. I agree. but its a sad day when these fringe gametypes prove more popular than slayer, and clearly theres something wrong in Slayer if more of the population prefer zombies which is more of a minigame.

Ugh..just completed the "NOW I HAVE MACHINE GUN" challenge. I suddenly feel the need to partake in some sort of cleansing ritual or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
we won’t officially be at E3 this year
LLShC.gif

So I guess that means it probably wont be until next year that the 'next big thing' is revealed? It probably wont be a year or so till release after that?

Im glad Bungie.net is still going to be stat central though, thats brilliant news.

Top Bottom