• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Pretty much any game not named Halo/COD is unplayable online, I guess it goes to show how sad the industry is when it comes to simple things like that. That said, the game is pretty sweet when everything works...
I thought you said the lag wasn't bad like one day ago.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
I thought you said the lag wasn't bad like one day ago.

I haven't had as many lag issues as most, probably hosting, lol. It's definitely not nearly as smooth as Halo or COD even at its best though.

My roommate picked it up and has been playing quite a bit of it. I am excited to check it out even though everyone seems to have had a pretty mediocre experience.I will steal his copy once he is bored of it in a couple days.

New tidbit from Jeremiah:

Not at all, in fact I've even mentioned recently that Team Objective is going to be getting attention in the next update. That includes removing entries that don't play as well as we'd like, tweaking objective timers and removing equipment where it makes sense.

Dropshield is going to be removed from all objective gametypes and Armor Lock is going to be removed from objective gametypes in Team Objective, while remaining available in Big Team Battle objective gametypes.

Zeouterlimits said:
Still won't draw a population :(.

Sad to see that Double Team is like in Halo 3 & 2, full of quitters. Practically 3 games in a row, we'd gain the lead and then be abandoned. Once it was after 2 kills.

Sadly, you're probably right, but it's nice to see that Jeremiah still gives some attention to a playlist that is doomed in terms of population numbers.

I know it doesn't have the population to support it, but TO would really benefit from party restrictions. The main reason that I don't play it that much is the horror of going against a TO4 as an individual.

vhfive

Ramirez said:
I haven't had as many lag issues as most, probably hosting, lol. It's definitely not nearly as smooth as Halo or COD even at its best though.
I really like the "SMART" what a dumb fucking name) system and the class base combat is a lot of fun (the operative being the only useless class). I really want to love the game but the lag makes it near impossible to play versus so I end up comp stomping most of the time (which is fun but not great). Also for a multiplayer based shooter the party system is fucking terrible, it might as well be non existent because I have no damn idea how it works.
Basically would be a great game if not for the lag and lack of party system.

Back on topic
Do you guys think we'll see what 343 is working on at E3? I think that they'll show something at E3 then have it playable at the PAX Halofest this year.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
vhfive said:
Do you guys think we'll see what 343 is working on at E3? I think that they'll show something at E3 then have it playable at the PAX Halofest this year.

Signs-point-to-yes-.jpg

vhfive said:
Back on topic
I think yes. In my opinion there are a lot of signs.(Frankie's comment in interviews, and even the HaloWaypoint site has some signs(but I guess I'm thinking to much into that point))

vhfive said:
Back on topic
If it's coming out in 2012 then I don't think it'll be playable at PAX.
If it's the C.E. business, then yes, playable at PAX.

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
Seeing 3 peoples on my friendlist who are playing Halo 3 campaign again. That made me happy :)
Yep, Dax made me want to play tsavo again. Maybe I'll go play some H2 later.

fyi, ForgeGAF customs will be happening today. Either at 3pm EST (12pm PST) or at 5pm EST (2pm PST). I'll be there for both but show up for whichever time you can (especially for the 5pm, since that should get you warmed up for normal Customs :^P )

Looks like me, vhfive, Mr Big, and others have maps to try out. Join us! (Send XBL message to or request a party invite from Mr Big (GT: Mr Kwatz) or if he's not online to me (GT: ncsuDuncan).

I'm also looking forward to normal HaloGAF customs tonight. Got anything good in store for us, Dani?

Tunavi

Banned
Flying home to San Francisco this afternoon :D, I'll probably with my family/friends tonight instead of customs

Starwolf, are you gonna post that epic clip you were moaning about from yesterday?

Mizzou Gaming said:
What is the highest rank now? I'm starting to see all sorts of quirky ranks ranging from Field Marshalls to Moon or something like that.
People started hitting the highest rank, Inheritor, last month. I hit the halfway point (10,000,000 cR) earlier this week.

Mizzou Gaming said:
What is the highest rank now? I'm starting to see all sorts of quirky ranks ranging from Field Marshalls to Moon or something like that.
The highest rank is Inheritor. And I guess ~10 Person reached this rank already.

Edit.: beaten. :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Do DLC maps...ever come up? I haven't played a match with Noble yet, and only Highlands/Condemned in the Defiant playlist. Kind of feel like I spent 20$ for cool looking skyboxes.

Ramirez

vhfive said:
I really like the "SMART" what a dumb fucking name) system and the class base combat is a lot of fun (the operative being the only useless class). I really want to love the game but the lag makes it near impossible to play versus so I end up comp stomping most of the time (which is fun but not great). Also for a multiplayer based shooter the party system is fucking terrible, it might as well be non existent because I have no damn idea how it works.
Basically would be a great game if not for the lag and lack of party system.

Back on topic

Considering the Halofest description said "and see why the first 10 years were only the beginning", I think yes.

Lyphen said:
Do DLC maps...ever come up? I haven't played a match with Noble yet, and only Highlands/Condemned in the Defiant playlist. Kind of feel like I spent 20$ for cool looking skyboxes.

Noble maps come up all the time in Doubles and TS for me.

Karl2177

Alright, first time playing Reach in 2 weeks, let's see what MM throws my way.

[EDIT]-Game 1: Squad Slayer - Slayer DMRs on Powerhouse 75-56 loss I go +13

Lyphen said:

Not for me.

A9 and Tempest are probably my two favorite maps in the game, but I never get to play them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
That's a shame. Seems like the Defiant playlist is the only time I'll get my money's worth (for half of what I bought this week), except for the fact that Highlands Team Slayer seems to be the only popular vote. Don't like that combo one bit.

Lyphen said:
If you're in Europe, yes they do. If you're in the States, then no.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lyphen said:
That's a shame. Seems like the Defiant playlist is the only time I'll get my money's worth (for half of what I bought this week), except for the fact that Highlands Team Slayer seems to be the only popular vote. Don't like that combo one bit.

DLC requirements will come into force in the near future. You'll see a bump of the DLC maps in various playlists when that happens if the current options aren't much to your liking.

You not even have to wait too long..

I see all the DLC maps often enough. The Noble playlist when it was up was great and the Defiant playlist now is even better. But I have seen the DLC maps pop up often for me in Team Slayer and Objective.

Rolling with a full party that also has the DLC will increase the chances of you seeing it too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
I thought the Noble playlist got integrated into the Defiant as well?

It did, but weighted very low so it hardly appears. But the maps and gametypes are in there. I played in that playlist exclusively for over 18 hours over two days and they showed up maybe once or twice and never voted for.

Dax01 said:
If you're in Europe, yes they do. If you're in the States, then no.

That is so weird, but seems to be true from people's experience here at GAF.

Dani said:
DLC requirements will come into force in the near future. You'll see a bump of the DLC maps in various playlists when that happens if the current options aren't much to your liking.

You not even have to wait too long..

I see all the DLC maps often enough. The Noble playlist when it was up was great and the Defiant playlist now is even better. But I have seen the DLC maps pop up often for me in Team Slayer and Objective.

Rolling with a full party that also has the DLC will increase the chances of you seeing it too.

What makes you think that DLC is going to start being required in playlists? As much of GAF knows, I have ripped Bungie for what I believe to be poor DLC implementation multiple times, but I don't think that core playlists should require DLC. You shouldn't have to buy more content than the 60 dollars you paid for the game just to be able to play the Team Slayer playlist.

Of course as I would love to see DLC maps actually appear in matchmaking, I wouldn't complain too much if it did happen.

Ramirez said:
I thought the Noble playlist got integrated into the Defiant as well?

It's not required however, so the playlist rely's on the matchmaking algorithm to match you up with other that have noble, like regular matchmaking playlists. So they never come up haha.

Duncan,

I see you're working on a Sword Base variant. What is it?

Steelyuhas said:
Duncan,

I see you're working on a Sword Base variant. What is it?
Glaive, my "fix" for Sword Base. I've posted about it in the ForgeGAF thread before, but basically I added a bunch of ways to get off the deathtrap that we call the bottom floor.

I also added a 3rd floor bridge that I think will make people never want to play the default Sword Base again after they try it out.

I'm fixing the CTF spawns right now, I'll send you an invite when I get that finished and saved.

Tunavi said:
Whoa whoa whoa, new easter egg data pad
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17469259

I don't believe this has been found, has it?

Whoa. Hax?

Karl2177

Alright, either I'm extremely good, Trueskill sucks, or it just decided that I must backpack my way through the Alps. I'm playing for the first time in 2 weeks, and all three games I've played I've gone majorly positive.

Karl2177 said:
Alright, either I'm extremely good, Trueskill sucks, or it just decided that I must backpack my way through the Alps. I'm playing for the first time in 2 weeks, and all three games I've played I've gone majorly positive.

Do you want to be bad?

Drink 2l. beer, 0,3l irish whiskey, play Halo 2 and Halo 3 again, and only sleep 5-7hours. Then you can be bad. I know what I'm saying.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
Pretty much any game not named Halo/COD is unplayable online, I guess it goes to show how sad the industry is when it comes to simple things like that. That said, the game is pretty sweet when everything works...
I'm pretty sure Shadowrun's netcode has gotten worse and worse with every new release of CoD and Halo since 2007. That game used to have great netcode, now it's a crap shoot if I am going to find a good game or not. Gust hasn't worked (figuratively speaking) for over a year now, sucks.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
What makes you think that DLC is going to start being required in playlists? As much of GAF knows, I have ripped Bungie for what I believe to be poor DLC implementation multiple times, but I don't think that core playlists should require DLC. You shouldn't have to buy more content than the 60 dollars you paid for the game just to be able to play the Team Slayer playlist.

Of course as I would love to see DLC maps actually appear in matchmaking, I wouldn't complain too much if it did happen.

Historically, DLC eventually become a requirement for more and more playlists as time passes.

Happened with Halo 3 and I expect the same to happen with Reach.

Kuroyume

Banned
I thought when the last matchmaking update came out they were going to remove the Noble maps out of Defiant not just kill Noble altogether. People were whining about too many playlists and asking for the one or both of the DLC playlists to be killed and now look at what happens when that is done. Dudes can't get a game on the noble maps. Stupid decision to do that and I don't even understand it. If the playlist shrinks to the 100s so what? Let those 100 people keep their playlist. As long as Halo doesn't have a custom server browser then that should be the alternative.

Hey You

Finally. I'm glad Team Objective is getting the update is desperately needs. I hope there are some Community Objective maps going through the process currently.

As long as I have my Evade in TO, I don't care if AL is gone.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else here not buying any new Halo DLC until they make it free with in 6 months so you know THEY ACTUALLY GO INTO THE MATCHMAKING ROTATION!

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else here not buying any new Halo DLC until they make it free with in 6 months so you know THEY ACTUALLY GO INTO THE MATCHMAKING ROTATION!
Blame MS's regime against free content.

wwm0nkey

MrBig said:
Blame MS's regime against free content.
Its really just starting to piss me off, I spend $10 on these maps but NEVER play them because they just are not put into the rotation.

Free content after 3 to 6 months = The maps actually being played by everyone and becoming a standard in matchmaking AND more players coming back due to free content.

Seriously though I am happy I got Defiant for free because I would have LOVED to spend the $10 on those maps but thanks to the fact I will never actually play them a lot due to them never being a standard in MM its just not worth the $$$.

Top Bottom