• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Dani said:
Historically, DLC eventually become a requirement for more and more playlists as time passes.

Happened with Halo 3 and I expect the same to happen with Reach.

Didn't Bungie say in retrospect that they thought it was a mistake to require so much paid DLC in H3, especially so soon after the DLC came out?

Maybe there will be, but they haven't said anything about DLC becoming required, and the Noble pack has been out for almost six months.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Steelyuhas said:
Didn't Bungie say in retrospect that they thought it was a mistake to require so much paid DLC in H3, especially so soon after the DLC came out?

Maybe there will be, but they haven't said anything about DLC becoming required, and the Noble pack has been out for almost six months.

I don't remember that. Got a link?

I just remember folks complaining, like now, that they wanted the maps they paid money for to show up in more playlists. Eventually Halo 3 playlists became mostly DLC required. If I recall correctly.

RedSwirl

GhaleonEB said:
To add to what others said:

If you have a Gold or Silver account, you cannot earn Commendations or Challenges unless you are in matchmaking. The exception is the "kill X enemies in any game mode" Challenge, and there was one today. So you probably got that.

This is to prevent players from setting up a very easy custom match - invincible, high damage, etc. - and farming credits.

(You can earn Commendations for Campaign offline, on every difficulty except Easy.)

Edit:

Super Jackpot Weekend starts now and runs until Sunday night! Play and complete games in ACTION SACK for a chance to win a daily Super Jackpot of 11,000 credits!

The following playlists are currently offering Double Jackpots all week long!
- THE ARENA
- SQUAD SLAYER
- DEFIANT MAP PACK​
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=60295673&postRepeater1-p=1#60296307

I can understand not allowing credits in custom matches, but it' at least be nice if they allowed more credits to be earned in default offline matches.

God. Online-gaming-as-the-priority is one of my least favorite things about this gen.

Hey You

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else here not buying any new Halo DLC until they make it free with in 6 months so you know THEY ACTUALLY GO INTO THE MATCHMAKING ROTATION!
Then people will simply not pay for them for 6 months,MS no longer sees DLC as a profitable route and stops producing it all together.

Dani said:
[IM]http://wormholeriders.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg[/IM]
:'(

wwm0nkey said:
Its really just starting to piss me off, I spend $10 on these maps but NEVER play them because they just are not put into the rotation.

Free content after 3 to 6 months = The maps actually being played by everyone and becoming a standard in matchmaking AND more players coming back due to free content.

Seriously though I am happy I got Defiant for free because I would have LOVED to spend the $10 on those maps but thanks to the fact I will never actually play them a lot due to them never being a standard in MM its just not worth the $$$.

Agreed. I might not buy the next map pack (assuming there is one coming) because the implementation is so poor.

Dani said:
I don't remember that. Got a link?

I just remember folks complaining, like now, that they wanted the maps they paid money for to show up in more playlists. Eventually Halo 3 playlists became mostly DLC required. If I recall correctly.

Nah, I'll look for it, I'll post if I find it later.

Although I agree completely that players should be rewarded for the DLC that they pay for (see my reply to wwm0nkey), I don't feel that players should be punished for not wanting to pay more than 60 dollars for a game either. I do remember that they made Ranked Team Slayer in H3 required, the population dropped significantly, and later they eventually removed that restriction.

We'll see what happens though.

commcarn.jpg

From crash-landing on a ringworld to three-shotting your friends in the face, "Halo: Combat Evolved" scorched a decade-long impression on millions of gamers.

Above the accolades and the media attention, "Halo" spawned a rabid fan base, whose members have forged lifelong friendships around a united passion.

In celebration of 10 years of memories, ncsuDuncan and I are hosting a Halo Community Tournament. Rarely do the separate fan sites come together for one night of entertainment.

Tournament: On May 28, from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. EST, teams from each community will fight for glory, pride and prizes.

Teams of six will compete in "Halo: Reach" using the Bungie Humpday rules: best of three, only members of your community can play for your teams and matchmaking game types only (excluding MLG, Team Classic, Grifball and Action Sack variants). A coin flip will determine which team gets first choice. The losers of each match will choose the next game.

Each site should choose one member to be its community leader. Leaders will be responsible for organizing his/her members. If it would be easier to have several leaders, that’s fine.

The leaders do not have to play if they don't want to. We just need all of the help we can get.

Each site can have one to three teams of six players each (so 6-18 players total). This will help accommodate communities with large memberships. Players can be in multiple teams for their community but can only win one tournament prize.

In order for your community to participate, one leader from each site must email me (hitmonchan@bungie.org) by Friday, May 20, with the site’s name and intent to play. That way, Duncan and I can organize the bracket in advance.

Custom Games: We realize not everyone can participate in the tournament, so we’ve asked members of 343 Industries if they could host custom games during the tournament. We figured this would be a great way for those on the outside to have fun and join in the festivities.

Those who are in the tournament cannot play in the custom games until they are out of the tournament and everyone on the customs list has had a chance. Playing in both the tournament and customs does not increase your chance of winning the drawing.

We’ll update you with more information on this as we get closer to the event.

Prizes: (All prizes have been graciously donated by 343 Industries, unless otherwise noted.)

At the end of the tournament, one community will be declared the winner. All tournament players from that community (up to 18) will receive the entire Tournament Prize Package.

Tournament Prize Package (18 Packages available, one package per player.)
- 1 random XBLA title (Either "Full House Poker" or "Dishwasher: Vampire Smile")
- Green Spartan Avatar Armor
- Halo Flood Pet Avatar Prop

Everyone who plays during this event (tournament winners, tournament losers, and customs participants) will be entered into a random drawing. All players are put into the same pool and have an equal chance of winning.

Drawing Prizes (12 winners total. One item selected from this list per winner.)
- "Halo 3" Games on Demand (2)
- "Halo Wars" Games on Demand (2)
- "Halo: Reach" Games on Demand (2)
- $10 Xbox DLC from Gamestop store (6) (Provided by ncsuDuncan)

Rosters: Final rosters should be emailed to me by May 25. Two lists should be turned in: a tournament roster (6-18 players) and a custom games roster (any number of players). Please include each member’s site username and XBL Gamertag. Note that the individual team composition can be adjusted during the tournament (as personal schedules can be unpredictable) but everyone that plays must be on the original tournament roster.

Note: Just having your name on the roster is not enough to win you a tournament or drawing prize. You must also participate in at least one game (tournament or custom) to be eligible.

The short-and-sweet version:
- Designate one or two leaders from each community.
- Leaders: Email me by Friday saying your community would like to play.
- Leaders: Email the final rosters by May 25 with a full list of players. Rosters should include teams, members and each member’s username and Gamertag.
- Everyone else: Game time starts at 7 p.m. EST. If you’re playing in the tournament, be prepared to play for four hours. If that’s a time commitment you are unable to make, let another person take your spot. And again, more information on the custom games will be available as we get closer to the event.

Bracket information will be available before the start of the tournament.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to email me.

Remember: play for pride, not for prizes. But most of all, have fun!

A special thanks to MrBig for the awesome banner!

Thank god the objective timers are being looked at. We played a Multi-Flag Zealot last night where we completely outslayed them yet because they were so carefree flag grabbing body running they managed to run it in and win. The return times were, looks like, 15 seconds...a bit too much for that map.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
That won't do any good. DLC tied to achievements can't be free.
Bad Company 2 says hi with their 2GB patches that add maps and fix engine issues and a lot of other stuff while adding Achievements :)

Seriously would love for 343i just do an online pass so they could do that stuff since I am assuming thats how Bad Company got away with it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Thank god the objective timers are being looked at. We played a Multi-Flag Zealot last night where we completely outslayed them yet because they were so carefree flag grabbing body running they managed to run it in and win. The return times were, looks like, 15 seconds...a bit too much for that map.
Reset or recovery? Reset should be 15, recovery should be 5.

Prepare for my version of tempest tonight, better combat on foot, and for vehicles.

My version will be called:

"titillation"

If I can name it that.

wwm0nkey said:
Bad Company 2 says hi with their 2GB patches that add maps and fix engine issues and a lot of other stuff while adding Achievements :)

Seriously would love for 343i just do an online pass so they could do that stuff since I am assuming thats how Bad Company got away with it.

You could only actually get the new achievements by buying the Onslaught or Vietnam modes despite the fact that they were downloaded to your hard drive in the "patch".

DLC with achievements simply doesn't become free. It's a ridiculous rule, but its a reality.

Hell, the legendary pack for H3 still costs 160 MS points.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
wwm0nkey said:

Oh, I'd kill for a massive patch that would let me Firefight. Though I'm eying a WD 250gb 7200 rpm hard drive just to get it all over with.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
You could only actually get the new achievements by buying the Onslaught or Vietnam modes despite the fact that they were downloaded to your hard drive in the "patch".

DLC with achievements simply doesn't become free. It's a ridiculous rule, but its a reality.

Hell, the legendary pack for H3 still costs 160 MS points.
Yeah you are right about that actually. Still though just make some DLC that is free without achievements and not this all DLC is paid only crap, I dont mind not getting achievements.

Also big DLC patches should also be used more to make engine improvements, I remember BC2 adding AMAZING lighting to all maps during its last major free DLC update.

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah you are right about that actually. Still though just make some DLC that is free without achievements and not this all DLC is paid only crap, I dont mind not getting achievements.

Oh yeah if it meant that DLC would be free and then fairly required in matchmaking, I wouldn't care if I ever got an achievement from DLC.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Does anyone remember the gametpe in Team Objective that has a glitch and gives you 15 second respawn times?

xxjuicesxx said:
Recovery, I was on it from :40ish to :25something I'd have to watch it again but I just did it was a longgg recovery.

Can you give me some more solid details on this? Might be a glitch or bug.

Dani said:
Does anyone remember the gametpe in Team Objective that has a glitch and gives you 15 second respawn times?

Neutral bomb on Asylum I believe. Don't think it was a glitch though, but I think it was later changed make to 10 seconds.

Six winners will be chosen from the tournament, and one winner will be selected from the 343 custom games (7 total winners).

You can only win once.

And bsangel has some goodies cooking up, too.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hitmonchan107 said:
Six winners will be chosen from the tournament, and one winner will be selected from the 343 custom games (7 total winners).

You can only win once.

And bsangel has some goodies cooking up, too.

Is there going to be a write up? If so, where?

Detox

In terms of DLC as soon as MS gets micro-transactions up and running on XBL with that free zombie mmo then armour / hats are the future of paid DLC for halo with free maps.

wwm0nkey

Detox said:
In terms of DLC as soon as MS gets micro-transactions up and running on XBL with that free zombie mmo then armour / hats are the future of paid DLC for halo with free maps.
The zombie MMo is not free though lol

Seriously though you know what would be awesome? a massive 1 to 2 GB free Market Place update that improves some aspects of the engine adds some new options (toggle recoil) and ect. Also for the hell of it it should include Zombies turning into flood for Halloween XD

Dani said:
Is there going to be a write up? If so, where?
Honestly, I don't know yet. I don't know exactly what 343 is doing for this. I wouldn't venture to say that they won't be writing it up.

I haven't thought about it.

Striker

xxjuicesxx said:
Hopefully they put some heavy credits into Objective after its fixed to get some new people back in there.
Objective's best experiences are based around the Drop Shield, you know. Since this fine gentlemen clearly describes, as so...

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=60331712

This is what Jeremiah plans to "fix" for Team Objective. I am utterly disappointed, yet aggravated at the same time. It's heartbreaking to see my favorite AAs being removed from the only playlist I really play in. Let me say this. I have played nearly 3,000 matches in Team Objective alone. I know the goods and bads of this playlist by heart. And, Armor Abilities such as Armor Lock, and Drop Shield make the Team Objective experience better, not worse. Yes, I know many disapprove of Armor Lock and Dropshield, arguing that it makes it easier to score the bomb when they shouldn't have. Both Armor Lock and Dropshield should remain in Team Objective, to give the losing team a fighting chance (Armor Lock), and to give an incentive for the whole team to charge at the enemy base together (Dropshield) . This is what you will see as a result of removing these two AAs: MORE objective avoiders! You need defensive AAs in a team oriented playlist. If you truly feel the need to scrap out these two AAs, can you at least consider adding in "Objective Pro" to the Team Objective playlist? Removing AAs makes the game boring and bland.

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/commcarn.jpg[img]
Tourney.[/QUOTE]
I'm talking with the Community Carnage team at bungie.net to see how we want to participate in this. Just letting you know we're interested.

Striker said:
Objective's best experiences are based around the Drop Shield, you know. Since this fine gentlemen clearly describes, as so...

Joke thread.....I hope. B.net never ceases to amaze. Why even bother responding to someone who lacks the comprehension to understand why AL and DS have no business in Team Objective?

Oh and good luck with the community tournament guys. I say you should all rock Armor Lock the first couple of matches just for the lolz.

zumphry

Banned
Striker said:

This is what Jeremiah plans to "fix" for Team Objective. I am utterly disappointed, yet aggravated at the same time. It's heartbreaking to see my favorite AAs being removed from the only playlist I really play in. Let me say this. I have played nearly 3,000 matches in Team Objective alone. I know the goods and bads of this playlist by heart. And, Armor Abilities such as Armor Lock, and Drop Shield make the Team Objective experience better, not worse. Yes, I know many disapprove of Armor Lock and Dropshield, arguing that it makes it easier to score the bomb when they shouldn't have. Both Armor Lock and Dropshield should remain in Team Objective, to give the losing team a fighting chance (Armor Lock), and to give an incentive for the whole team to charge at the enemy base together (Dropshield) . This is what you will see as a result of removing these two AAs: MORE objective avoiders! You need defensive AAs in a team oriented playlist. If you truly feel the need to scrap out these two AAs, can you at least consider adding in "Objective Pro" to the Team Objective playlist? Removing AAs makes the game boring and bland.

85kcM.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Objective Pro. Tashi, I demand montages ASAP.

I just got a summer job and I've been working pretty much everyday. I'm trying. This week's not looking too good. I've gotten no real clip material so far. Just ask Juices, his inbox is empty lol.

It's ironic that now I'll have money to make it to MLG Anaheim at the end of July but I'll have less time to prepare for the event. :/

Tawpgun

Is customs still dead?

Also, Objective Pro needs to have AR starts. DMR's are so bland.

ALSO, May 28th? I'll probably be free, but it seems a tad short notice for me. The week after seems like a more comfortable cushion to gather up teams.

Top Bottom