• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

Ramirez said:
This post is almost as ignorant as the people who said the same stuff about Halo 3 compared to past titles.
They broke gameplay in G2, then moved it to a mash up of the first two games, added a couple weapons, and not much else. I have worked with the Unreal engine extensively and its a real shame, seeing what it can do and then not seeing it put to use by the people who designed it. I'm sorry if looking at the game from a development perspective isn't what you're even bothering to think about, but I do not concern myself with qualities that I do not care about.

bobs99 ... said:
Better to please the hardcore fans than please the casual crowd who wouldn't know any better anyway and would move on to the next AAA title anyway in my opinion.
I thinks it's best to make another great game. That's fun.

minasodaboy said:
I thinks it's best to make another great game. That's fun.

Well yeah... that kind of goes without saying. :p Im pretty sure every game developer goes in with that intention. But when things get interesting and you have a crowd of fans who have stuck to the series for the last 10 years, and a crowd of critics saying that the game hasnt changed for the last 10 years what do you do? Who do you please? I personally think that the hardcore fans should be the guys to please, but I can see why it makes 100% more business sense to shut the critics up at the risk of going too far.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Hitmonchan107 said:
343's bsangel has added more incentive to play in the tournament.

The winning tournament community members will each win one of two XBLA games (“Full House Poker” or “Dishwasher: Vampire Smile,”) a Green Spartan Avatar Armor code, a Halo Flood Pet Avatar Prop and both a red and a blue Avatar Helmet.

The six random winners of the $10 DLC prize will also win a randomly selected Halo Games on Demand code ("Halo 3," "Halo Wars" or "Halo: Reach.")

Thanks, angel!

Ok I wanna play now.

Hitmonchan107 said:
343's bsangel has added more incentive to play in the tournament.

The winning tournament community members will each win one of two XBLA games (“Full House Poker” or “Dishwasher: Vampire Smile,”) a Green Spartan Avatar Armor code, a Halo Flood Pet Avatar Prop and both a red and a blue Avatar Helmet.

The six random winners of the $10 DLC prize will also win a randomly selected Halo Games on Demand code ("Halo 3," "Halo Wars" or "Halo: Reach.")

Thanks, angel!
That's pretty awesome of 343.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Out of interest has anyone hit a super jackpot? I played a bunch of Action Sack yesterday* but never hit it. It seems like the odds of getting it are really low.
The odds of getting it are really low.

Jeremiah said:
Last weekend, players won a total of 683,937,000 credits in BTB super jackpots alone.

683,937,000 / 9,000 = 75,993

That's spread out over the three days of the weekend. Adding up the number of players who rolled through BTB over the weekend, and since every game counts as a chance for everyone, it doesn't seem like great odds. I did six games in Action Sack myself yesterday, no dice. I'll dabble a bit today (Splockets will be an easy way to get the ordnance Challenge for today), but I'm not hopeful.

Ramirez

MrBig said:
They broke gameplay in G2, then moved it to a mash up of the first two games, added a couple weapons, and not much else. I have worked with the Unreal engine extensively and its a real shame, seeing what it can do and then not seeing it put to use by the people who designed it. I'm sorry if looking at the game from a development perspective isn't what you're even bothering to think about, but I do not concern myself with qualities that I do not care about.

Your post did not read anything at all like a developer lamenting the fact that they weren't utilizing their engine correctly.

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:

That's spread out over the three days of the weekend. Adding up the number of players who rolled through BTB over the weekend, and since every game counts as a chance for everyone, it doesn't seem like great odds. I did six games in Action Sack myself yesterday, no dice. I'll dabble a bit today (Splockets will be an easy way to get the ordnance Challenge for today), but I'm not hopeful.

I believe that the odds of getting the jackpot increase by staying with full party. On Friday one of my friends got the jackpot early on. Then later in the night I got it. So basically my chances grew by 1/8th. Its probably not that simple but I have a feeling it does help.

GhaleonEB said:

I must've been really lucky last night. I got it on my second game of Action Sack.

And by the way, Hockey is hella fun now that assassinations are out. I still wish everyone was invulnerable, so I could focus on playing the game.

Updated:
Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b] (PM me and I will add you)

[u]Tournament list[/u] (currently 12/18)
MrBig		(Mr Kwatz)
Dug		(Nintony 64)
Plywood 	(Xenolock)
A27_StarWolf 	(A27 STARWOLF)
A27 Tawpgun	(Tawpgun)
Oozer3993	(Oozer3993)
[s]Barrow Roll	(BarrowRoll)[/s] - Can't make it? :(
kylej		(jelyk)
Ken		(Chocopolka)
Booshka		(Booshka)
Hypertrooper	(Hypertrooper)	
Thee Henry	(the henery)
Laughtrey	(Laughtrey) - right?

[U]Custom Games list[/U] (no max. size)
Dax01		(dax01)

I tried reading back through to make sure I got everyone, but if I missed you let me know. Note that since I'm helping Hitmonchan run this thing (and providing a small part of the prize) I have taken myself off the list.

If anyone else would still like to join, send me a PM and I will add you to the list (which I will update and repost only once per page of 100 posts.)

If you are on there and would like to switch between the Tourney list and the Customs list, let me know.

We have until May 25th to get this finalized, so there's plenty of time to figure it out without arguing.

If its a daily limit on that 11k if you are in a party with someone who already got it can you not get it...since they already did and everybody gets the same jackpot?

Hey You

Hypertrooper said:
Do you know that they're working now for Activision? Activision didn't announce their games often at E3. (Call Of Duty 6 were announced at the GDC). Maybe we can expect an announcement at the GamesCom. Activision has always a big booth there.
I'm pretty sure Bungie can choose when (and where) to announce their game now. So anythings possible.

Sordid said:
I played 5 games of Action Sack yesterday and got it. I'm hoping for the same today because most of the gametypes are rubbish!
Sadly I would have to agree. Who thought To the Death and Dino Blasters was fun?

In Blueprint there are a good chunk of gametypes/maps for Action Sack, so I'm hopeful people will stop picking the two above gametypes.

We need more objective action sack type games. Too much slayer.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
xxjuicesxx said:
If its a daily limit on that 11k if you are in a party with someone who already got it can you not get it...since they already did and everybody gets the same jackpot?

It's a player bonus, not team bonus. One person can get it and the rest of the team not.

xxjuicesxx said:

Exactly what I was thinking?

Thanks for providing the number breakdown Ghaleon, the odds of getting it are really low lol.

EDIT: Ah thanks Dani for clearing that up.

Hey You

Ramirez said:
Pretty sure publishers will always get that right...
Yeah, I don't know much about all that or the Bungie deal. I just thought I remember reading somewhere that Bungie had a ton of control and can decide pricing,release dates etc

K thats good, my buddy was asking me to go into it cause he just got it and I was like I dunno if you already got it I don't think I can. So its not the Jackpot its an additional bonus? makes sense.

GhaleonEB

Right, the 11,000 is added on top of your normal Slot Machine bonus. So whatever the normal bonus is + 11k cR.

It's possible to get a 14k bonus, where everyone in the party gets the "normal" jackpot of 3,000, but the 11k goes just to the person that wins it.

For the record, I think random jackpots is a poor incentive structure.

Edit: on a different note, Arcadefight in the Arcade playlist works out much better than I thought it was going to. It's what gets voted on most of the time, though having it as the first voting slot probably contributes a great deal to it. I can romp with Needers and a Plasma Pistol and get through entire games. Fun stuff.

Tashi0106 said:
Is that really the list of players representing HaloGAF in this tournament?
It is so far. ;)

Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people on the Tournament list would like to switch to the more casual Customs list.

I'm also working with Hitmonchan on adjusting the prize distribution to make the two lists more equal in appeal (although winning the tournament is still the biggest prize.) I'll update GAF when we've got that pinned down.

Hypertrooper said:
Do you know that they're working now for Activision? Activision didn't announce their games often at E3. (Call Of Duty 6 were announced at the GDC). Maybe we can expect an announcement at the GamesCom. Activision has always a big booth there.

Doesn't Activision seem to announce titles later rather than early? Feels like that to me. I really don't think there is a chance we see anything this year.

As for how much control Bungie has, none of us can really know, but I think that because this is a new deal for one of the most successful developers of the last ten years, I'm sure they have a good amount of control. How much that actually is though is really impossible to tell.

Detox

Dani said:
Possible? Yes, quite so.
So I guess the only reason they aren't and are leaving it to a random jackpot is because they don't want to destroy the player investment curve. Bungie really are the only people who actually think that Reach's unlock system is good, great.

ncsuDuncan said:
It is so far. ;)

Although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people on the Tournament list would like to switch to the more casual Customs list.

I'm also working with Hitmonchan on adjusting the prize distribution to make the two lists more equal in appeal (although winning the tournament is still the biggest prize.) I'll update GAF when we've got that pinned down.

Props for organising the list so far. I have to say though I don't mind which pool I play in, whichever has the space free (if any at all) after the OG members have taken their rightful priority. Also props to hitmonchan for organising the whole thing.

GhaleonEB

Detox said:
Is it even possible for them to make double cR playlists?
Sure. They can adjust every one of the various payout categories, except perhaps Commendations.

Game Complete is time-based, and capped based on your rank. Different playlists accrue at different speeds: Multiplayer is the fastest, Firefight Arcade and Limited at about half that (because Commendations pay out much more) and Score Attack and Co-Op Campaign at about 1/2 of the Firefight playlists. (It was not always so - Score Attack's speed was cut in half shortly after launch.)

So they can adjust that. And as we've seen, they can do all sorts of stuff with the Slot Machine. They've uncapped the range it works in, added new jackpot levels, added double Slot Machine payouts for playlists, and added these additional bonuses.

So a straight up double cR weekend would just up the rate of Game Complete bonus, and double the Slot Machine. The random jackpots are fine as an addition, but I'd rather have a steady bump in payout than a random chance of a large one (which I can never seem to get).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Detox said:
So I guess the only reason they aren't and are leaving it to a random jackpot is because they don't want to destroy the player investment curve. Bungie really are the only people who actually think that Reach's unlock system is good, great.

I don't know about that. Bungie have been upfront in saying that very few players have reached the higher ranks or ever approached the daily credit limit.

Even if they doubled the credit limit and doubled the payout per game across the board, there'd still be a very small minority at the top.

As a regular Halo player, I think the credit system was poorly implemented. For the regular player, past the six month mark you've hit the ceiling in terms of Rank required to unlock any piece of armour and after that point there is no incentive to earn more other than grinding out the final ranks, raising an significant percentage number next to your name and checking off challenges from a list.

There's no incentive to win matches, just grind credits and it's pretty soulless.

Even the Commendations which I thought was a novel idea have turned out to be yet another pointless grind. They were suppose to reflect your play style and give you an idea of the play style of other players. A sniper would have headshot Commendations and a driver would have a wheelman Commendation but everybody just ends up with same ones all maxxed out. There's no sense of identity about them at all. Additionally you get little reward for maxing them out. You get about 2000 credits for hitting Onyx, which is pitiful, especially since some of them require severe deviations from normal play to acquire.

Reach's player investment system feels like a cheap, poorly thought out response to Call of Duty's system but somehow it feels much less rewarding.

Detox

Yeah, I really think COD's one is better purely because it moves at a much faster rate thanks to the prestige mode. It caters to the casual player who likes to see a bar moving at a fair pace and the hardcore player who can play for a long time and still enjoy levelling through prestiges. I understand exactly why Reach can't have unlockable weapons and actually prefer it but Bungie should have packed it with more cosmetic unlockables. Weapon camos, loads of armour permutations, tags etc and some of these should have been tied to commendations.

EDIT: I still think they shouldn't have got rid of showing trueskill at least in some playlists it got a lot of competitive guys playing to rank up and keep their rank. In fact they should have expanded this, Bungie probably took some inspiration from the ladder system of Starcraft 2 unfortunately the Arena is a poor implementation of this.

GhaleonEB

My biggest issue with the overall investment system is that Challenges as designed are not well implemented. Remember how Challenge payouts were supposed to scale as the population rose in rank? This is one of the graphs from an article about the Challenges I'm working on (should be done this week):

Credit_Payouts_Time.png

Payouts have not only flat-lined, but declined in recent months. So high rank players are seeing them become a smaller and smaller proportion of credits earned. A 1,000 cR Challenge is almost comical. Today we had one for getting one spree in Firefight for 1,000 cR.

I'm deeply disappointed stuff like that is rolling out eight months from launch.

neclas

GhaleonEB said:
Hmm. It seems to me that they greatly increased the odds for the Action Sack one this week. I never got the jackpots for the other weekends, but this weekend has been pretty easy. Didn't play on Friday, but on Saturday, I got it after 5 games, and today I got it after 2. I either have really good luck, or the chances of winning have increased.

GhaleonEB said:
It's possible to get a 14k bonus
In case anyone was doubting this, I can confirm that it is true (got it yesterday)

GhaleonEB said:
My biggest issue with the overall investment system is that Challenges as designed are not well implemented. Remember how Challenge payouts were supposed to scale as the population rose in rank? This is one of the graphs from an article about the Challenges I'm working on (should be done this week):

Credit_Payouts_Time.png

Payouts have not only flat-lined, but declined in recent months. So high rank players are seeing them become a smaller and smaller proportion of credits earned. A 1,000 cR Challenge is almost comical. Today we had one for getting one spree in Firefight for 1,000 cR.

I'm deeply disappointed stuff like that is rolling out eight months from launch.
This is the problem with rewarding people with credits for playing the game. Once you no longer feel you are being compensated fairly it almost becomes a deterrent.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Captain Blood said:
This is the problem with rewarding people with credits for playing the game. Once you no longer feel you are being compensated fairly it almost becomes a deterrent.

The player investment system hinges entirely on Credits as does a significant portion of the game outside of actual gameplay.

Which is why I think it needs a full deconstruction for the next entry. They need to understand why it is failing players so soon after launch and build upon the things it gets right.

I don't think player investment will ever go away, not with strong competition for eyeball time with games such as Wow and CoD, so they really need to take a step back and look at it next time.

Coming upon the release of Reach, I was never really that excited for the credit system in MP. But reading the past comments on this page, the credit system, from conception to implementation, hasn't lived up to its potential.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Is that really the list of players representing HaloGAF in this tournament?

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth, I was gonna say I'd play, but then all I see on there is KyleJ, Xeno, and LT, and I'm like wat.

The competitive one should be something that you want HaloGAF to win, not send some team out there to embarrass the community and put us on par with Bnet, for shame.

still say Tashi should have been put in charge of picking a team to dong other communities with, the guy knows who is the best of the best here, and all of you seem to love him anyways.

As for credits, I'm shocked that anyone still cares, it literally took me a month I believe to level from Field Marshall to Hero, and I play the game pretty much every night for at least 2-3 hours, and usually lose maybe once every 3-4 days if we're playing objective. There should be a huge bonus for winning, just because you donged a team in 2 minutes doesn't mean you should get 500 credits for your efforts. Totally backwards and broken implementation, but like I said, when it takes a month or more of solid playing to rank up, I find it hard to care at all.

Tunavi

Banned
Dax01 said:
Coming upon the release of Reach, I was never really that excited for the credit system in MP. But reading the past comments on this page, the credit system, from conception to implementation, hasn't lived up to its potential.
Daily/Weekly challenges are one of the greatest things about Reach.

Ramirez said:
Man, you took the words right out of my mouth, I was gonna say I'd play, but then all I see on there is KyleJ, Xeno, and LT, and I'm like wat.

The competitive one should be something that you want HaloGAF to win, not send some team out there to embarrass the community and put us on par with Bnet, for shame.

still say Tashi should have been put in charge of picking a team to dong other communities with, the guy knows who is the best of the best here, and all of you seem to love him anyways.

Rosters aren't due for another week and a half. I'd hate to see HaloGAF get donged on by 2old2play.

:^)

Ramirez

Tunavi said:

Really? They're so boring an unimaginative, how many times have I see "Kill X amount of enemies" or "Kill 10 enemies while Jetpacking"? All for the awesome payout of 1K credits, lol.

Challenges could be used to boost playlist population as well, for a weekly let's say "Win 50 matches in TO", with a 50K payout, why not?

Rosters aren't due for another week and a half. I'd hate to see HaloGAF get donged on by 2old2play.

That's exactly what will happen if you don't let someone form a formidable team, and keep the little league rules of "everyone has to play" to customs. ;)

GhaleonEB

Captain Blood said:
I like investment systems, but Reach was hamstrung by Halo's nature; the rewards are purely cosmetic. And like an RPG, it's based on time spent in battle, rather than objectives. I thought the Challenge system would mostly be Achievement-like meta goals, but they're entirely built off the existing stat and medal systems, and are often just another flavor of grind. They can be fun, but it's a more limited system than I was expecting.

I was hoping for a Crackdown-like set of challenges that would be fun to do in Campaign and Firefight (MP is limited by its very nature), because I'm motivated by an objective that is fun. But there wasn't any resources devoted to creating them (think Annual in Halo 3). Rather, it's all built off the skull/scoring/medal/stat systems, and a small subset at that. It's disappointing.

Bungie's next game is sure to have an investment system wrapped around it, and I hope they both find a way to make it more creative and flexible.
Tunavi said:
Aye, the Challenge system is my favorite aspect of the whole system. I just wish they went further.

wwm0nkey

Hey guys honest question here, if there are no major changes/updates made to Reach at all this year will any of you still be playing this around November?

I mean we do have Battlefield 3, Skyrim, UC3 and now MW3. I would REALLY hope 343i does what DICE did with BC2 and release a major update around that time to make the game still relevant.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Hey guys honest question here, if there are no major changes/updates made to Reach at all this year will any of you still be playing this around November?

I mean we do have Battlefield 3, Skyrim, UC3 and now MW3. I would REALLY hope 343i does what DICE did with BC2 and release a major update around that time to make the game still relevant.
I won't stop playing Halo, but BF3 and Skyrim will be my new home.

wwm0nkey said:

I will. What else good is there? CoD will be the same bland garbage as always. Battlefield 3 could possibly be good but I didn't like 2 or BC2. Gears is not my cup of tea.

That leaves Halo Reach and what? Halo 3?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
wwm0nkey said:

November being the date for the 10th anniversary of Halo? Can't speak for the hordes of transient folks that come and go in this thread but the bulk of HaloGAF regulars will certainly be playing.

Also, you can still play Reach and play newer games. =)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
wwm0nkey said:
I would REALLY hope 343i does what DICE did with BC2 and release a major update around that time to make the game still relevant.

Judging from my time at X11, that's what I hope happens, albiet a little sooner than when those games come out.

Halo: Reach has to deal with a lot more stiff competition this time around compared to Halo 3's release which merely had to deal with a Call of Duty release every year which was managable since WaW didn't do nearly as well as COD4 and MW2. Even against COD4 and MW2, Halo 3 still managed to compete nicely.

Halo: Reach has to deal with MW2, Black Ops, Battlefield 3, Gears of War 3, MW3 and many big single-player games. And most of that list comes out around the same time.

If they are doing a big update for the game, I hope they're not saving the announcement of it or anything for something like E3 or PAX. It wouldn't hurt to at least publicly tell us whether or not it's being worked on now. :/

Top Bottom