• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi0106 said:
Oh come on. There's nothing worse than picking up a sniper with 4 bullets in it. Who the fuck wants that? Look, I haven't played Highlands in a little while but that map offers so many routes and means of getting around the map. I hardly ever found myself out in the open where snipers can pick me off. And if they did, props to them. They have a sniper? Well we have a sniper too. I just cringe when I pick up a sniper with clips removed.

Yeah, 4 is a bit low. Maybe if the respawn time was faster it wouldn't be as big of a problem, the sniper could take 4 shots and then move back to the (sub-optimal) sniper spawn to get more ammo. But that introduces other problems.

Basically, I miss things like the rocket ammo boxes, I always thought that was a neat thing in Halo 2 where you had to have the RL for them to be useful. It could spawn with only 2 shots but a good player would know where to go to pick up more ammo.

Willeth said:
I wasn't expecting trouble with the space section either, but for some reason they're much more intelligent than when I did my solo Legendary run. I'm guessing Thunderstorm.

EDIT: You commandeered the Wraith? I wasn't able to do that because Mythic beefed the Elite up. Are you sure you're running LASO and not regular Legendary?
100% positive I'm running LASO. Getting the Wraith is tricky. I don't know if I would've had enough Plasma Pistol ammo to EMP the Wraith and kill the Elite but I was able to pick up the PP that the Grunt that was on the Wraith turret dropped.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
GhaleonEB said:
I realize this may come off as self-contradictory, but I agree. If a sniper is going to be on a map, the floor for ammo should be eight rounds. I don't see the value in half-measures such as only four shots in it; better to balance it by placement (not on the sniper tower).

No it doesn't. But why move the sniper to a different location if there are 2 on the map, 1 for each team. I feel like the issues you guys have with the sniper placement stems from maybe you guys not having someone good sniping on your team. Their sniper is picking you guys off while your sniper isn't doing anything. Or am I totally off on that?

I don't think moving the sniper is the worst thing ever, or even a bad thing, I just don't see what's wrong with it now.

Dax said:
Nothing more frustrating than getting killed from all the way on the other side of the map at your base. I'm for whatever lessens (or removes) scenarios like this.

What are you asking for? The game to shape around you being careless? How many times a game does that really happen though? What do you consider to be "your base"? If you're getting spawn sniped, I can understand the frustration in that but I just feel like that map offers many safe routes for players on foot.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh come on. There's nothing worse than picking up a sniper with 4 bullets in it. Who the fuck wants that? Look, I haven't played Highlands in a little while but that map offers so many routes and means of getting around the map. I hardly ever found myself out in the open where snipers can pick me off. And if they did, props to them. They have a sniper? Well we have a sniper too. I just cringe when I pick up a sniper with clips removed.

I agree, never have had a problem with it save for when the game spawned 5 snipers at once and that issue has been addressed already. It's quite easy to take cover at rocks and DMR people or get into the side buildings and work your way towards the other base from there if you like.

No snipers on Highland.

Laser on each side to remove vehicles (max it could hit really is 4 - unless a rare double vehicle laser would occur) If they waste it on infantry thats their stupidity. High Respawn maybe 3:30 or 4? So two or three would pop up per game.

Balance vehichles so 12-16 pop up a game. So if a person perfected a laser run he would essentially be able to take down almost every vehicle (that would almost never happen in a balanced game)

Rockets downed to one clip with a normal respawn.

Shotgun spawn increased hugely. Ammo halved.

Grenade launcher is fine.

Plasma launcher in place of Lasers in elite format, and not in spartan format.

With these changes you would have a lot more frenzied and offensive Highlands game being played. Right now its so boring in my experiences. Any player padding stats can easily sit back in their base and finish anything thats made it their way especially if they've held the power weapons back with them (currently snipers and rocket wielding players are doing this - especially rockets guarding flag). Really need to think about the level of fun being had instead of whether or not the weapons make it balanced. I mean sure its fine WITH snipers, but it will be a lot better without, I'm sure of it.

Crucio

Tashi0106 said:
No it doesn't. But why move the sniper to a different location if there are 2 on the map, 1 for each team. I feel like the issues you guys have with the sniper placement stems from maybe you guys not having someone good sniping on your team. Their sniper is picking you guys off while your sniper isn't doing anything. Or am I totally off on that?

I don't think moving the sniper is the worst thing ever, or even a bad thing, I just don't see what's wrong with it now.

This is a good point. The Sniper is supposed to battle the other team's sniper. That way if you win the battle you have map control for brief time periods. Having good Snipers on your team changes the game. This is apparent in all BTB matches.
I've seen games come back, from 20 points below just because of a change of guard on the Sniper Rifle.

Tashi0106 said:
What are you asking for? The game to shape around you being careless? How many times a game does that really happen though? What do you consider to be "your base"? If you're getting spawn sniped, I can understand the frustration in that but I just feel like that map offers many safe routes for players on foot.
How am I being careless if I'm traversing my base and get sniped? It's not like I'm standing out in the open looking for opponents. That's being careless.

Tashi

Dax01 said:
How am I being careless if I'm traversing my base and get sniped? It's not like I'm standing out in the open looking for opponents. That's being careless.

Where are you getting sniped from? The other base? What if your base isn't completely safe Dax? *gasp*

Tashi0106 said:
Where are you getting sniped from? The other base? What if your base isn't completely safe Dax? *gasp*
Yeah, I find myself getting sniped from the other base and I find that wholly unfair. The sniper over there didn't do anything to deserve that position and I'm not able to put up any defense of mine, and so that makes the kill feel cheap.

Tashi0106 said:

Well nowhere on the Highlands is safe when Tashi has snipe.

MM is weak, and a good player can change the game with that thing at that distance...really I just don't see why it should be in general social MM. So many moderate players are playing those larger playlists, give them a damn chance.

IMO LOL BBQZ.

(I've done nothing but destroy with Sniper on Highlands, I still think it shouldn't be on there, way too easy for abuse)

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
I like the effect that having power weapons in less than optimal locations has on how games play out. Moving the sniper rifle so that it is not have a high ground perch over much of the map from the outset would let teams spread about the map a little bit before the sniper enters the mix. It doesn't have to be much - just 10-15 seconds of extraction and placement time. That lets teams fan out and loosens up how the opening moments play out.

It also adds a bit of an ebb and flow during the game. Maybe it's just me, but I like the satisfaction of snagging a power weapon and then successfully extracting it to a good position to use it. On Avalanche, I ran a loop with the laser, swinging back through center and then returning to base, out the teleporter and setting up perch by the man cannon. On Highlands, pulling the laser out of the middle wouldn't be an automatic; right now I just pick it up and then laser someone from across the map.

By similar token, I think just moving the sniper down low somewhere in each base would make the map play a bit better. And I agree there should be two on the map, nothing is more frustrating than having a good sniper pin down a team and not having the option to counter-snipe. Colossus shows what a symmetrical map with one sniper weapon becomes.

Though my first choice would be to yank it, for reasons Juices hits above. The DMR has such a long range I don't think it will be missed that much.

xxjuicesxx said:
No snipers on Highland.

Laser on each side to remove vehicles (max it could hit really is 4 - unless a rare double vehicle laser would occur) If they waste it on infantry thats their stupidity. High Respawn maybe 3:30 or 4? So two or three would pop up per game.

Balance vehichles so 12-16 pop up a game. So if a person perfected a laser run he would essentially be able to take down almost every vehicle (that would almost never happen in a balanced game)
I think the max respawn time is 180 seconds (3 minutes).

I won't comment on the rest, I personally prefer having Rockets on a map over Lasers.
To be honest I wouldn't mind maps reducing the number of power weapons and normal weapons and stick to the basics:
DMR
Sniper
Shotgun
Rockets
Plasma Pistol
AR
Grenades & Stickies

But I can see why that wouldn't be popular.

Tashi

Dax01 said:
Yeah, I find myself getting sniped from the other base and I find that wholly unfair. The sniper over there didn't do anything to deserve that position and I'm not able to put up any defense of mine, and so that makes the kill feel cheap.

Yea that does suck but you have a sniper too Dax. If your sniper was doing anything, that sniper wouldn't be so focused on sniper you guys at your base.

Also, stream is up. Trying to get more clips for this week :)

http://www.justin.tv/tashiii

Tunavi

Banned
Highlands: Sniper should replace the laser spawn and rockets should be right below it near ghost spawn. It gives players something to fight over and encourages initial map movement.

Edit: Maybe plasma launcher or grenade launcher instead of rockets near ghost spawn so that the vehicles are more balanced

Tashi0106 said:
Yea that does suck but you have a sniper too Dax. If your sniper was doing anything, that sniper wouldn't be so focused on sniper you guys at your base.
Man, I usually play with myself. That means randoms. And that involves additional frustrations.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I like the effect that having power weapons in less than optimal locations has on how games play out. Moving the sniper rifle so that it is not have a high ground perch over much of the map from the outset would let teams spread about the map a little bit before the sniper enters the mix. It doesn't have to be much - just 10-15 seconds of extraction and placement time. That lets teams fan out and loosens up how the opening moments play out.

It also adds a bit of an ebb and flow during the game. Maybe it's just me, but I like the satisfaction of snagging a power weapon and then successfully extracting it to a good position to use it. On Avalanche, I ran a loop with the laser, swinging back through center and then returning to base, out the teleporter and setting up perch by the man cannon. On Highlands, pulling the laser out of the middle wouldn't be an automatic; right now I just pick it up and then laser someone from across the map.

By similar token, I think just moving the sniper down low somewhere in each base would make the map play a bit better. And I agree there should be two on the map, nothing is more frustrating than having a good sniper pin down a team and not having the option to counter-snipe. Colossus shows what a symmetrical map with one sniper weapon becomes.

Though my first choice would be to yank it, for reasons Juices hits above. The DMR has such a long range I don't think it will be missed that much.

Any examples of power weapons on BTB maps with Halo 3/Reach that aren't placed near to ideal locations for their use?

Tashi

Dax01 said:
Man, I usually play with myself. That means randoms. And that involves additional frustrations.

Lol I know, we all have experienced that. That doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the map.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Any examples of power weapons on BTB maps with Halo 3/Reach that aren't placed near to ideal locations for their use?
I just listed a few...but another would be the rockets on Tempest.

Though there at least many counter examples. The shotty on Tempest, for instance, laser on Valhalla, and so on.

The issue that with so many on Highlands - plama launcher, sniper (2x), rockets (2x), the laser, it gets out of hand swiftly. There's a lot less restraint in their use.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GhaleonEB said:
I just listed a few...but another would be the rockets on Tempest.

Though there at least many counter examples. The shotty on Tempest, for instance.
But the laser on Avalanche set in an ideal location for taking out vehicles. So too are the Rockets on Tempest, easy to grab them and set up camp in the base well before any infantry or vehicles from the other team get near.

The issue that with so many on Highlands - plama launcher, sniper (2x), rockets (2x), the laser, it gets out of hand swiftly. There's a lot less restraint in their use.

You forgot to mention the Pro-Pipe and 2x shotties. The map bleeds power weapons.

Dax01 said:

I don't think I have even been sniped in my own base on Highlands. Considering the layout of the map, I feel that the bases are decently protected from long range fire.

Steelyuhas said:
I don't think I have even been sniped in my own base on Highlands. Considering the layout of the map, I feel that the bases are decently protected from long range fire.
There's a small view of Red Base from the middle-facing side of the rappelling towers.

I get a sizable amount of sniping kills from there.

Sniper heatmap:

rle2xj.jpg

Dani said:
But the laser on Avalanche set in an ideal location for taking out vehicles. So too are the Rockets on Tempest, easy to grab them and set up camp in the base well before any infantry or vehicles from the other team get near.

The laser on Avalanche is at the middle, yes, but it doesn't have any height to allow it to see over the large cover objects around the map. It's much easier to get kills if you carry it to one of the elevated cliffs.

The Rockets on Tempest... I don't understand your point. Where they spawn, you can take the mancannon into a somewhat exposed, low area or you can carry them back into your base and camp. The latter strategy might be effective in CTF, but in BTB Slayer the rockets are most useful from one of the elevated ledges near the center of the map. And even when you're camping in the base you had to carry the rockets there from the exposed left side.

I think we have differing views on the "ideal location" for power weapons to be used from on each map.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
But the laser on Avalanche set in an ideal location for taking out vehicles.
It's also a major choke point for infantry and can be attacked from three directions, and vehicles had the stone column to get behind, and you're down low when elevation suits the weapon better. Setting up camp there is generally not a grand idea. The ideal location was next to the man cannon of your base, by teleporter exit, and you had to work to get the laser back there.

As for Tempest, they're pretty close, but the ideal location would be the flag to camp it, or in the middle for Slayer. Current placement lets you see what the other team is doing - when the grab them, where that player goes.

Edit: ncsuDuncan did this better.

But at any rate, my point is less about where weaopns have been on map X. It's that the current selection and placement on Highland is sub-optimal.

You forgot to mention the Pro-Pipe and 2x shotties. The map bleeds power weapons.
I figured I'd berated the shottys enough, but yeat, the grenade launcher is in the mix too. The only power weapon not in the mix is the FRG.

I remember back in Halo 3, after Sandbox came out, I did a map called Entrenched. The first version of it was way too heavy on the power weapons - rockets, sniper, turrets, missile pod, and so on. Vehicles didn't last long, it was chaos. I did a major nerf version that played a lot better. (At Eazy's suggestion, IIRC.) To me Highlands plays a bit like that early version. I'd like to play a nerfed version.

Hitmonchan107 said:
There's a small view of Red Base from the middle-facing side of the rappelling towers.

I get a sizable amount of sniping kills from there.

Sniper heatmap:

http://i51.tinypic.com/rle2xj.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]
Yeah, here's my heat map from deaths with the sniper.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R1XGK.jpg
Hm. Okay. Seems to a problem with Blue Base.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
Lol I know, we all have experienced that. That doesn't necessarily mean that something is wrong with the map.
Exactly. If you play with randoms, you're gonna have a bad time. I can agree with moving the snipers down and away a bit from the towers, but removing them completely...come on now. Don't be stupid. I also wouldn't swap them with the shotgun spawns either. One sniper should be around each team's base.

I feel like a 23-year-old geezer:

"Back in MY day we only had TWO power weapons - the Rockets and the Sniper! And by god, we walked uphill both ways through the snow to get them to their ideal positions!
Back when having a power weapon meant something!

Get off my lawn!"

Here are my deaths from the sniper on Highlands (increased intensity):
heatmap.jpg

Getting sniped in the bases has not been an issue for me at all.

Alright, how about the community as a whole? These are death from the sniper on Highlands:
heatmap-1.jpg

Interesting, more people are getting sniped in the red base than in the blue one.

Tawpgun

I agree with putting the laser in the middle somewhere. Doesn't need to be in the pelican. Just somewhere even in the middle.

However do NOT put the Shotguns in the base. This is what kills CTF on Hemmorage. Armor Abilities (loldropshield) and a shotgun in the front yard make CTF a frustrating ordeal on that map, even when its suppose to be the classic CTF map.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I agree with putting the laser in the middle somewhere. Doesn't need to be in the pelican. Just somewhere even in the middle.

However do NOT put the Shotguns in the base. This is what kills CTF on Hemmorage. Armor Abilities (loldropshield) and a shotgun in the front yard make CTF a frustrating ordeal on that map, even when its suppose to be the classic CTF map.

I understand your hatred for shotguns in Hemorrhage, but I think it wouldn't be as much of a problem on Highlands, where the bases have more entrances/exits for a flag carrier and they are generally more open to DMR fire.

I'd rather have the shotguns camping the air lift room in Highlands (that is what you're thinking of, right?) than camping the teleporters. Considering where the flag spawns in Highlands I don't think a single shotgun is as powerful as it is on Hemorrhage.

A27 Tawpgun said:

On my version of Highlands I put the Splaser on the island in the middle. I haven't even played a single match on it, so I don't know how it will play out. I also put the snipers where the splaser and plasma launcher used to be.

But I did put the Shotguns at each base, but they don't have any spare clips and they're on a 180s respawn.

-Yeti said:
On my version of Highlands I put the Splaser on the island in the middle. I haven't even played a single match on it, so I don't know how it will play out. I also put the snipers where the splaser and plasma launcher used to be.

But I did put the Shotguns at each base, but they don't have any spare clips and they're on a 180s respawn.

I think that's a little too close to the 2-way teleporter, someone could easily hop through and scoop up the ammo from both. I had those spots set as grenade launchers, as a single shot weapon I figured it would be less devastating if someone managed to snag them both.

I guess someone could conceivably grab both snipers if they were at the shotgun spawn, but I think that would be pretty rare considering how far a walk it would be (even with teleporters) through close-quarters areas.

ncsuDuncan said:
I think that's a little too close to the 2-way teleporter, someone could easily hop through and scoop up the ammo from both. I had those spots set as grenade launchers, as a single shot weapon I figured it would be less devastating if someone managed to snag them both.

I guess someone could conceivably grab both snipers if they were at the shotgun spawn, but I think that would be pretty rare considering how far a walk it would be (even with teleporters) through close-quarters areas.

Oh yeah I guess that's true. Maybe I could just make them 1-way teleporters, so if they want to snipe at their bases they would have to take a risk and walk back.

Kuroyume

Banned
Highlands is completely boring with the new changes. I'm not a power weapon fan as I prefer to go around with the pistol or DMR but on that map I liked how the original power weapons layout worked. I never felt like I was constantly getting sniped because as others have said there is plenty of cover on that map, and if you ever found that someone was sniping people you could always pick up your own sniper and take that person out or at the very least irritate them with DMR shots until someone else killed them.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:

I have a Highlands variant with the Snipers in that area and I've extensively tested it. What happens is usually a rush at the start of each match to nab the Sniper and run for cover, because the Sniper on the other side will attempt to kill the Sniper and then jump through the teleport to nab the extra ammo.

This rarely happens though. And rare still does the Sniper teleport across and try to outsnipe the other Sniper at close range.

To be honest, it's a good place for a relocation, possibly the best place.

I have an idea to try another place like you suggest. Replace the Shotgun with the Sniper, this would reduce the potential for abuse from the above possibility.

Dani said:
I have a Highlands variant with the Snipers in that area and I've extensively tested it. What happens is usually a rush at the start of each match to nab the Sniper and run for cover, because the Sniper on the other side will attempt to kill the Sniper and then jump through the teleport to nab the extra ammo.

This rarely happens though. And rare still does the Sniper teleport across and try to outsnipe the other Sniper at close range.

To be honest, it's a good place for a relocation, possibly the best place.

I have an idea to try another place like you suggest. Replace the Shotgun with the Sniper, this would reduce the potential for abuse from the above possibility.

I'll take your word for that, but you also have to consider what happens later in the game, when there isn't an even race to the sniper. Whatever lucky player is closest to the sniper when it respawns will probably get both.

Havok

I never really realized how much the XM8 would look like a Mass Effect assault rifle if the gap was covered. Huh.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wwm0nkey said:
More on set pics of Halo: Faith (remember this will have HEAVY use of CGI)

Faith_15.jpg

The fuck? They modded a G36?

Now I'm mindfucking myself. I can't tell if they modeled that off of the now dead XM8 prototype or if they modded a G36.

Trasher said:
Just bought the Onza...omg it's sexy.

Cheater.

Havok said:
I never really realized how much the XM8 would look like a Mass Effect assault rifle if the gap was covered. Huh.

I really can't tell if that IS an XM8 model, wouldn't make sense if this is new since that prototype was scrapped (assuming that's functional).

Crucio

Gui_PT said:
Weeeeeeeeklyyyy is miiiine!

Feels gewd

Yeah, feels great, we just finished it, 2 hours 6 minutes 9 seconds. 2 man cell. 171 deaths in total. 100K points + each. Two Challenges in the bag. Remember this was LASO With Blind.

I'll give ya'll a lowdown on how we did it.

• First batch of elites we mainly used assassination tactics. Bait them in and focus on hitting them in the back.
  • Up the hill, took out the grunts and nerfle jackals. My buddy went for the tank, I helped with the plasma pistol. We both took out the elite with melee after removing the cap off the tank.
  • Upon killing the tank elite, the doors opened and we were able to skip the jackals and final white elite on the hill. Good deal.
  • Space Battle is a breeze. It helps to rush the corvette on the second run and kill the docked banshees under its belly before they launch.
  • Grabbed the sword before leaving in the Sabers. Used that and melee to kill the jetpack elites on the first room of the Corvette.
  • Grabbed plasma of any kind, Rifle and Pistol are best. Took the enemy's shields out one by one and used DMR or Nerfle to get the headshots.
  • We used holograms to distract the last two bacon ray elites. Used plasma to take their shields down, took a while, but we managed.
  • The next couple of elites wasn't too hard, continued using hologram bait.
  • The control room was pretty quick, stayed out of sight lines and tried to kill off the two gold elites before anything else. The rest just took a bit of luck, we mostly used the sword and assassinations.
  • After a couple attempts I managed to grab the Pelican Turret. Took some time to get those first two elites out or their hiding.
  • We used some hologram bait and some sword assassinations as well as the turret. The last batch of elites is just luck, try to be sneaky if you're on the outside.

The only part of this guide I even looked at was the Pelican turret trick.

Success! This was actually the funnest LASO yet for us. I'm not sure that without the turret would've been remotely do-able in less then 3 hours. I also think that bungie intended it to be used for such an occasion as LASO.
Good Luck GAF.

Side Note:Scheduled maintenance for Reach at around Midnight PDT.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Trasher said:
Haha. Bumper Jumper is once again a reality for me with the remapping buttons on it. :)

Fan of jetpack are you?

I'm still bumper jumper all the time. I just only use all the other ones except JP.

Trasher

Alienshogun said:
Fan of jetpack are you?

I'm still bumper jumper all the time. I just only use all the other ones except JP.
Nah. I never use the jetpack actually. I just really enjoy having my armor abilities on the bumper though (aka keeping my thumbs on the sticks as often as I can).

Top Bottom