• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
Absolutely. Choose what you will have the most fun doing. That's what this is all about.

And 343, thanks again for taking the time out to host custom games. Nobody does it like you.
Winning is fun to me. That's why I didn't want to play at first. But if you guys decide you want HaloGAF to win and want me to lead it, I'm here. "Wake me, when you need me" :p

A27 Tawpgun said:
I'm confused. The way everyone (I believe) wanted to have it is so the best of the best would play.
Well from what I can see (based off the roster so far) that is definitely not what is happening.

kylej

Banned
hrm I didn't realize I signed up for this tournament. If I can play with decent people I'd be down to help GAF out. Could probably bring some ringers in too...

Tashi0106 said:
Winning is fun to me. That's why I didn't want to play at first. But if you guys decide you want HaloGAF to win and want me to lead it, I'm here. "Wake me, when you need me" :p
But we need Cortana for that job :/

Hydranockz said:
Tashi for Team Lead.

Put me down for customs... (and reserve tournament if the numbers don't fill :p)
You've to fight with me! I don't want to be the only EuroGAF in the tournament list. :/

Oh wait I'm seeing MrBig is on that list. He is from EU, too?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Code:
[u]Placements[/u]

Plywood
Tawpgun
Hyper Trooper
Kwatz
vhfive

1.89, 1.33, 1.13, 1.46, 1.37
DMR   DMR   DMR   DMR   DMR
M     M     M     M     R
P     R     R     N     RS

KyleJ
Chocopolka
Booshka
A27 Starwolf
Trasher

1.46, 1.46, 1.67, 1.18, 1.51
DMR   DMR   DMR   M     DMR
M     M     R     DMR   M
R     N     G     F     S

Laughtrey
Thee Henry
Dug
Oozer3993
Tashi

1.49, 1.65, .72, 1.61, 1.26
DMR   R     M    DMR   DMR
M     DMR   DMR  M     R
R     N     G    AR    M
I think these would make for good chances on each team, if Overdoziz could be part of the tourney I'd stick him there on my team, his account hasn't activated and I'm not sure if he wants to be part of the tourney. So Overdoziz if you're reading this, message me on live.

I made my choices based off of K/D ratio and equally important Top 3 Weapons stats I've also had the opportunity to play with the majority of you either in customs or matchmaking and tried to spread out the lesser skilled players(no offense).

I stuck Tashi and Trasher up there where I would ideally place them if they so chose to be part of the tourney.

Since it seems like Tashi is going to be team leader, just take these as suggestions.

We also need 3 more people. Unless someone can play for more than one team at a time.

Tashi

I wouldn't choose any members based on their K/D ratio if I'm indeed chosen to pick the team. The "competitive" umbrella that is in place kind of makes the stats useless. I'd be more interested in the stats per playlist. Still, I would need to play a few games with everyone to make decisions.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
I wouldn't choose any members based on their K/D ratio if I'm indeed chosen to pick the team. The "competitive" umbrella that is in place kind of makes the stats useless. I'd be more interested in the stats per playlist. Still, I would need to play a few games with everyone to make decisions.
I only went with K/D since I'm assuming we're going to be playing Vanilla settings. I figured it was an accurate stat in that regard for just about everyone, barring you of course. I know what you mean about how in the competitive umbrella it does not accurately show skill in things such as MLG since everybody dies in such a competitive environment.

I also went with K/D because it tells me how much a person is staying alive and I know that a 1.26 is actually a solid k/d for someone who plays MLG almost exclusively such as yourself.

Hey You

I'll be down to play customs. Not the super competitive type (even though I try to win).

Also basing off K/D's is not a good way to measure skill unless it was purely slayer. I'm an objective type of guy, I try to go for the Objective. I don't care what my K/D is as long as we get the Objective.

I'm sure my K/D would be more than 1.23 if I was just a slayer guy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well it was just suggestions based off of the aforementioned K/D, Weapon stats and who I've played with and how I think they'd work well with others.

I know that the people I chose for me I believe we'd work well together and we compliment each others styles.

I know that KyleJ just needs people who know what they're doing and he should be good for the most part.

As for Tashi I think he makes for a good leader of a team and can coordinate people well enough they would just have to listen to what he tells them.

Trasher said:
Bobs..you are way off base on a lot of my posts. I did not imply even half of what you said. Team 2 never said we were the best players on here. We were just a group of people who were faimiliar with one another and enjoyed playing together. We just so happened to include some of the best players GAF has to offer. There are plenty of more awesome players that weren't on Team 2. Ram set it up so there were three teams that sort of fit the different groups that make up HaloGAF with the third team being more of a mix so other people could participate as well.

Don't take anything I said personally im not 'attacking' you (and my posts are more based off more of a general opinion rather than off anything you have personally said). Im just saying that it seems like there's a hierarchy here and the more well known members get to judge who is good and bad. Im just saying you should really get some games in with them before you judge them like that.

Again, im not aiming that personally at you, just generally saying that before rushing into team selection a mini competition here would be a good idea. I can see why you would think im just causing hassle and hating on team 2, but im not - I personally think that if there can be 3 teams then team 2 should be kept intact. I just thought that there was a limit of 1 team of 4 people, in which case spots would be more tightly contested.

Either way custom games seem to be where the funs gonna be at so sign me up for that. :p (If its happening on the 28th though then I wont be able to make it.)

Tashi

Plywood said:
I only went with K/D since I'm assuming we're going to be playing Vanilla settings. I figured it was an accurate stat in that regard for just about everyone, barring you of course. I know what you mean about how in the competitive umbrella it does not accurately show skill in things such as MLG since everybody dies in such a competitive environment.

I also went with K/D because it tells me how much a person is staying alive and I know that a 1.26 is actually a solid k/d for someone who plays MLG almost exclusively such as yourself.

You're right about the MLG part but I was mostly thinking more about SWAT and Snipers. They could throw off the stats big time. My K/D in Halo 3 ranked was 1.09 I think. I'm surprised it's that high in Reach. I don't feel like I'm better at Reach than I was at Halo 3. Different games though so it's tough to compare the 2. I'm sure my Reach K/D will continue to decrease over time.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
You're right about the MLG part but I was mostly thinking more about SWAT and Snipers. They could throw off the stats big time. My K/D in Halo 3 ranked was 1.09 I think. I'm surprised it's that high in Reach. I don't feel like I'm better at Reach than I was at Halo 3. Different games though so it's tough to compare the 2.
True enough, I didn't think about SWAT and Snipes. Though I believe I didn't think about that was because DMR and Melee kept coming in as most top weapon kills.
Tashi0106 said:
I'm sure my Reach K/D will continue to decrease over time.
Play Grifball and get that shit up! Kidding, I suck at Grifball. :/

As promised, it's been 100 posts since I last had this on the thread:

If you want to be added, PM me or post here with what list you want to be added to.
Code:
[B][U]Halo Community Tournament[/U][/B] [b]List of interested GAF players[/b]

[u]Tournament list[/u] (currently 14/18)
MrBig		(Mr Kwatz)
Plywood 	(Xenolock)
A27_StarWolf 	(A27 STARWOLF)
A27 Tawpgun	(Tawpgun)
Oozer3993	(Oozer3993)
kylej		(jelyk)
Ken		(Chocopolka)
Booshka		(Booshka)
Hypertrooper	(Hypertrooper) - Mentioned he might switch to customs if needed?
Thee Henry	(the henery) - Willing to move to customs list if needed. (ASK NICELY)
Laughtrey	(Laughtrey)
Tashi0106	(NYSTOFMIND23) - If he gets team control
Trasher		(TJ Trasher) - If Tashi plays
vhfive		(vhfive)

[U]Custom Games list[/U]
Dax01		(dax01)
Lazslo		(LaszIo)
Dani		(Slightly Live)
Dug		(Nintony 64)
GhaleonEB	(GhaleonEB)
Hydranockz	(Hydranockz) - Will play in tourney if needed.
Hey You 	(Heyy Youu)
bobs99 ...	(bobs99) - If he can make it (but I think it's the 28th, sorry bobs)
vhfive*		(vhfive) - Already on tourney list, see note below
*If you play in the tournament, you are not immediately placed on the customs list. If/when you lose the tournament you can ask to be placed at the bottom of the master customs list (the combined one from all communities.) That way everyone that asked to play customs gets a chance before the people that already played in the tournament do. Also, if you get to play in both you still only get one entry in the drawing (but that's okay with the forthcoming revision to prize distribution).

I'm okay with Tashi organizing the teams if everyone else is, but a few things I would like to add:
- If we can, I'd ask that everyone that wants to play in the tournament gets to. If we do end up having more than 18 interested we either need to nicely ask for volunteers to switch to the customs side or we need to hold a quick, fair tournament between everyone on the tourney list to pare it down to 18.
- I want GAF to win. But only if that means GAF is having fun too.

The tournament is currently set up like this:
Communities will battle in a 3-game set. Ideally with a Team 1, Team 2, and Team 3 of unique players. If a community has less than 18 interested players, people can play on multiple teams. But again, that's only if less than 18 are interested.
Best of 3 wins for the entire community, so it's in your best interest to spread your best players across multiple teams.

I'm going to make a bracket with all of the interested communities. But the one that wins gets the tournament prize for all 18 players that participated in the tournament.

I'm writing up the revised prize distribution, but know this: Winning the tournament is the only way to guarantee getting a prize. But everyone that participates (tourney winners, losers, and customs players) gets an equal chance in the drawing, which has a lot of great prizes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd (LoopOfHenle) be interested in playing in customs, or the tourney... holy shit at some of the egos in this thread!

Just finished another on-foot run with The Covenant. It was awesome. You know, I have a whole new appreciation for the friendly AI in Halo 3 after having them fight alongside me. Overall, for Halo 3, my favorite on-foot run was The Ark. Nothing beats all those AI assisting you.

Also, I gotta say, I don't think any other Halo game has a more concentrated burst of awesome – from Crow's Nest to The Covenant – than Halo 3. While Halo 3 is not my favorite campaign, it has the best sequence of levels of the entire series.

Also, I gotta say, for me, Halo 3 has the best gameplay. I used to think it was ODST, but my opinion has changed. Halo 3 also has the best encounters out of the entire series.

Will probably do a screenshot montage for the thread later today.

vhfive

What is the custom list? Is it just a list of people who want to play in custom games.

EDIT: sorry if this has been explained I was away for most of the weekend. :p

Ramirez

Hitmonchan107 said:
Sounds good to me. Everybody can PM Duncan saying you'd like to play by Friday, and then Tashi can decide the teams.

Fixed. Gotta leave that T2 stuff out, it makes people angry.

So what you are saying is you are starting another mud pit with yourself in it? lol (I'm referring to the messy conversations)

I'm not starting a mudpit, I'm just saying what should have been done from the start. A mudpit would be me making myself captain and picking you, nutter, and blood as my first choices, lol. Tashi is neutral and I know he wants to play, he just didn't want to get into the politics of it, so I did that part. ;)

Golf Ham, Ram does it again.

Also, I want to play, I just can't be 100% certain this early if I could make it.

vhfive said:
What is the custom list? Is it just a list of people who want to play in custom games.
Yeah. The plan is to send the customs lists to 343 so they can invite people into their games.

I figured it's the most efficient plan of action.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Just finished another on-foot run with The Covenant. It was awesome. You know, I have a whole new appreciation for the friendly AI in Halo 3 after having them fight alongside me. Overall, for Halo 3, my favorite on-foot run was The Ark. Nothing beats all those AI assisting you.

Also, I gotta say, I don't think any other Halo game has a more concentrated burst of awesome – from Crow's Nest to The Covenant – than Halo 3. While Halo 3 is not my favorite campaign, it has the best sequence of levels of the entire series.

Also, I gotta say, for me, Halo 3 has the best gameplay. I used to think it was ODST, but my opinion has changed. Halo 3 also has the best encounters out of the entire series.

Yes, yes and YES. The sad thing is, there are some great encounters in Reach, but a number of factors all thwart them from playing out as well as they do in Halo 3. And they never even attempt to hit the scale that Halo 3 hits comfortably in Tsavo, The Storm, The Ark and The Covenant. For a planetary invasion, Reach features a lot of curiously small battlefields.

Plywood said:
Also Juices why are you not on the list?

Yea the last five pages have been terrible. This kinda thing brings the worst out of people.

With that said, bring Tashi Ram Nutter Me and someone else into every game and let us dominate every community and laugh. A tournament is not a hello kitty adventure, we want to win, why embarrass ourselves again like the Bnet challenge? I mean think about it, we lost to BUNGIE. Just let that sink in. Its terrible.

I would additionally like to extend a 1v1 challenge to Jeremiah for playlist control. :)

Ughh I hate myself for even making this post and being involved.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
What's the final count? 18 players in this tournament representing GAF or 1 super team of 6?

I say one super team, but I think Hitmon wanted 3, lol. But honestly if you divide the best players around to 3 teams, you're probably only going to have to carry a couple guys per team, if that.

I would additionally like to extend a 1v1 challenge to Jeremiah for playlist control. :)

That should be the prize for winning the tourney, that community gains playlist control for one month. :p After we improve it beyond belief, we then vote for who takes over full time. ;)

Dani said:
Summer/Winter.

Very specific haha

Ramirez said:
Also, screw more DLC if it's of the 2 MP map variety, get with the times and do what COD has been doing for years now, 5 maps or bust.

Agreed, been saying that for a while now. 3 maps in a pack just feel like a joke now.

Hey You said:
Well it depends on how long DLC takes to make. Anyone know how long Defiant took all together?

If work was being done or even started before Defiant on the next DLC, I think announcing it this month and releasing next month would be appropriate.

Unless the sales of Noble and Defiant were disappointing for Microsoft, they may wait a while before greenlighting the release of DLC.

Who knows. I would love more DLC this year. I would gladly pay for DLC every month.

It would be nice to get like 6 maps per pack and pay 1600 points.

I assume that Microsoft ordered at least 2 packs for the game well before it was released (Noble and Defiant), so I assume that Defiant was made a while ago.

I guess the release of the next DLC would have to do with when MS ordered a third DLC and/if they want to release maps for the 10th anniversary of Halo.

Thermite said:
BATTLEFIELD 3, I WILL EAT THAT SHIT EVERY GODDAMN DAY.

6hi2bc.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxn3RoqTOQ

Tashi

Ramirez said:
I say one super team, but I think Hitmon wanted 3, lol. But honestly if you divide the best players around to 3 teams, you're probably only going to have to carry a couple guys per team, if that.

I was hoping for 1 super team too. That would be really tough to decide though but that team would be pretty fuckin beast for sure.

Finding 17 other players would be tough as well. Making the 3 teams would be even more difficult. You're right, I would have to split it up so that each team is even and pretty damn good. I guess I would be down for whichever, I want to make sure we win.

Dax01 said:

GhaleonEB said:
Yes, yes and YES. The sad thing is, there are some great encounters in Reach, but a number of factors all thwart them from playing out as well as they do in Halo 3. And they never even attempt to hit the scale that Halo 3 hits comfortably in Tsavo, The Storm, The Ark and The Covenant. For a planetary invasion, Reach features a lot of curiously small battlefields.
*high five of agreement*
It's a damn shame the narrative (and to a lesser extent graphical fidelity, the lack of AA/sub-hd resolution) was as poor as it was, the big let down for me in what is otherwise a fantastic game.

ODST has a special place in my heart because of the City, I absolutely loved the hours spending running or driving around in the rain (on a ghost). But 3 is much more re-playable, much more depth and enjoyment to be found there.

Zeouterlimits said:
*high five of agreement*
It's a damn shame the narrative (and to a lesser extent graphical fidelity, the lack of AA/sub-hd resolution) was as poor as it was, the big let down for me in what is otherwise a fantastic game.

Yep. Halo 3 was fun to play, but the narrative was pretty bad, especially after the glorious narrative of H2.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Tashi0106 said:
Making the 3 teams would be even more difficult. You're right, I would have to split it up so that each team is even and pretty damn good. I guess I would be down for whichever, I want to make sure we win.

really, wouldnt the best strat to be to take the very best and spread them among 2 teams? you only need win best of three matches.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well Overdoziz messaged me back saying he'd love to be part of the tourney, but only if a spot is open after teams are decided. He's a really good player and could help get the win for any of the teams, I can vouch for him on that.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:

That should be the prize for winning the tourney, that community gains playlist control for one month. :p After we improve it beyond belief, we then vote for who takes over full time. ;)

GAF should play to win. But this is a fun tournament too. I say split the godly players among the 3 team. If shit hits the fan, we use a pre-determined Dream Team. Some people might not play in this scenario and we'd have to agree to a no bitching policy if it comes to this.

But this is assuming we can switch teams around mid-tournament.

Tashi

A27 Tawpgun said:
GAF should play to win. But this is a fun tournament too. I say split the godly players among the 3 team. If shit hits the fan, we use a pre-determined Dream Team. Some people might not play in this scenario and we'd have to agree to a no bitching policy if it comes to this.

But this is assuming we can switch teams around mid-tournament.

Shit hits the fan as in it goes to a 3rd game? I can agree with that.

So can we finally decide on this then? I'd like to get as many people's opinions as possible...

Am I the team leader?

1 team of 6 or 3 teams of 18?

Super Team called in if necessary to win?

Tashi0106 said:
What's the final count? 18 players in this tournament representing GAF or 1 super team of 6?

- If we have 18 GAF people interested in the tournament, then 18 GAF people play. How we split up the teams is up to you, but you'd be wise to make sure at least 2 of those teams are good.

- If we only have 14 GAF people interested, 4 of those players can play on two teams. They still only get one prize if they win.

- If we only have 6 GAF people interested in the tournament, those 6 can play all three games. But only those 6 would receive the tournament prize.

Here is my draft for the revised prize distribution:
---------------------
At the end of the tournament, one community will be declared the winner. All tournament players from that community (up to 18) will receive the entire Tournament Prize Package.

Tournament Prize Package (18 Packages available, one package per player.)
- 1 random XBLA title (Either Full House Poker or Dishwasher: Vampire Smile)
- Green Spartan Avatar Armor
- Halo Flood Pet Avatar Prop

Everyone who plays during this event (tournament winners, tournament losers, and customs participants) will be entered into a random drawing. All players are put into the same pool and have an equal chance of winning.

Drawing Prizes (12 winners total. One item selected from this list per winner.)
- Halo 3 Games on Demand (2)
- Halo Wars Games on Demand (2)
- Halo: Reach Games on Demand (2)
- $10 Xbox DLC from Gamestop store (6)
------------------
I guess you could do three GAF teams: Best, Middle, Worst.
If Best and Middle both win, Worst can play the throwaway game.
If Best and Middle both lose, Worst can play the throwaway game.
If Best wins and Middle loses, Best plays again but shares their prize codes with Worst if GAF wins the tournament.

Team Rosters are going to have to be flexible anyways as people drop in or out on the night of the tournament. But you're going to have to nicely sort the teams and convince Worst to allow it. If you can't be nice about it I say just split them evenly.

Nutter

Dani said:
TO WAR!

Ill Play, if we are playing to Win, that other night when playing BTB and me being the only person to care for what is going on is pretty much me. I HATE losing in Halo.

Besides When it comes to most Gun Fights in Halo it pretty much is defined by this picture.

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tashi0106 said:
Am I the team leader?

Yes, your team leader.

3 Teams of 18 cause I can see 1 team of 6 causing drama as much as I want HaloGAF to win.

The Super Team is absolutely necessary in the case of shit hitting the fan.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:

So can we finally decide on this then? I'd like to get as many people's opinions as possible...

Am I the team leader?

Is anyone opposed to 2 teams of 6? Game Point match is played by Dream Team?

Otherwise, 3 teams of 6.

Tawpgun

Tashi0106 said:
I think this is a good idea
I would say 3 teams of 6 though. More potential players. But we absoluletly NEED to agree to a No Bitch Policy if you can't play due to high stakes. All tournament players still get prizes. Whether you play or not.

Thermite

Tashi0106 said:

Am I the team leader?

I vote for you being team leader, as well. If we want to win all the matches, I say go for 1 team of 6. If you're wanting to just give everyone a chance, then go for multiple teams.

Booshka

I'll vote for Tashi as team leader. Not sure about the team situation, but any interested players should be able to play (within reason). These teams come down to chemistry as well, so I think whichever team has the best mix of chemistry and talent should get the most important game (game 3 if necessary, or game 2 if we lose game 1).

I want to win as well, I'm a pretty good player, but I have little to no experience playing with most of you guys, so I am willing to step back for a better chance at winning. Of course I want to play, but with who isn't really my place to decide.

We could run customs among the interested players and see how players perform with and against each other, then try to mix and match for the most even teams. Or use that info to form one amazing team, and two decent teams. I trust most of the good and experienced HaloGAF players know what that amazing team would be
Team 2
, but obviously the community at large wants a more diplomatic process.

The customs list should be for fun, the tournament should be for those that want to win. When you play to win, fun is a part of it, but you must have the mentality to play to win and be serious about it.

Booshka said:
I'll vote for Tashi as team leader. Not sure about the team situation, but any interested players should be able to play (within reason). These teams come down to chemistry as well, so I think whichever team has the best mix of chemistry and talent should get the most important game (game 3 if necessary, or game 2 if we lose game 1).

I want to win as well, I'm a pretty good player, but I have little to no experience playing with most of you guys, so I am willing to step back for a better chance at winning. Of course I want to play, but with who isn't really my place to decide.

We could run customs among the interested players and see how players perform with and against each other, then try to mix and match for the most even teams. Or use that info to form one amazing team, and two decent teams. I trust most of the good and experienced HaloGAF players know what that amazing team would be
Team 2
, but obviously the community at large wants a more diplomatic process.

The customs list should be for fun, the tournament should be for those that want to win. When you play to win, fun is a part of it, but you must have the mentality to play to win and be serious about it.

Thats what I think would work best, 1 amazing team and 2 other teams. No doubt the second team would be pretty strong aswell (gaf has a lot of good players, definetly enough to fill up 2 teams worth of people.), but Team 1 should be the team that plays in the vital matches. Team 3 probably wouldn't get much gameplay time but meh. :p

Top Bottom